Reviews by J.Riv

J.Riv's avatar
    J.Riv

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Well... I have changed my opinion on this from YAY to NAY...

I can see why people say this is nothing more than Armani Code with lavander. But I assure you that it is not totally true. While I admit on first application because of the coffee notes being a bit dry and bland it shares similar characteristics with Guaiac Wood. You know the whole dry and dusty type smell?

Well the coffee and lavender blend well on my skin... Not too bad. But it could have better use of the gourmand notes. See Rochas Man... Over all it is okay.. I wouldn't add it to me ole collection..

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This gets big kudos from most of Basenotes, so naturally my expectations were pretty high. I smelled it and laughed. It was like a weak Aspen..

It is just a okay green scent.. Way overhyped...

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Uh, Classy?

If by "classy" you mean young man with a shirt as loud and as synthetic as the fragrance his grandmother bought him for christmas- then yes.. It is as sophisticated Fred Flintstone.

I cannot stand this fragrance... I was standing in the airport waiting for someone and I kid you not... The flight from Chicago landed and as they get off out of the 150 or so people leaving at least 15-20 were wearing this fragrance. All young men who were certain 10 sprays was wayy too little.

Anyone who says this is fresh, think synthetic.. Anyone who says sweet think alcohol drenched pineapple and when someone says classy think of the first statements...

cK one by Calvin Klein

Eh.. It is okay.

I personally do not like where it tends to go sour.

CK Electric is also worse on that.. When they say Electric they actually mean rudely offensive static like top notes and a sour dry down... nothing energetic about it..

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I at first hated this... But because Mario Justiniani loved it so much. I gave it a second chance. I do not know if may be I just smelled a tainted tester or what... But the truth is. This is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. For some reason it smells like a vanilla latex condom.

I love it.. I would definetly buy it if I could find a bottle larger than 2 oz.

The rubber vanilla and what I believe tar and tea are great.. A bit too powerful for a woman to wear IMO.. But hey.. Go for it..

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I do not understand this fragrance. It smells good, but not in the way I want it too. It is a very cool fragrance. Imagine being in a pond with lillies in the spring.. That is the eviornment I invision when I smelll this.. Now I remember a post when a member said he gets compliments on this fragrance and I cannot imagine the amount of this light fragrance he would wear lol. HE must have been wearing his weight in D'Issey because other wise this does not seem to be very strong. But it does last, just unless you are really close to someone or unless you have a 24 oz application of this stuff it probably wont come off the skin much. The Lavender, amber and blue lily notes are great. IMO it comes off a little like salty water.. like the womens version. Idk about this one, maybe I shall return

05 December, 2007

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Ahh, it brings back such good memories of the summertime.. Mmmm. Being at the pool with my friends, doing cannonball dives off the diving board. The unpleasant smell of chlorine left on your skin...

That is exactly what it smells like, pool water. If you want to smell like this bathe in a bathtub full of chlorine and dry yourself off, not rinse! Dry.. with a beach towel. Then you're sure to seduce a mermaid or something...

24 November, 2007

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Yep, it is long lasting, great sillage, it is also a warm fragrance.

Reminds me of being in a sauna with a ton of cotton candy and vanilla beans.. Incredibly cloying (Vanilla) and IMO smells like something an old woman trying to retain her feeling of youuth would wear. Smells like Vera Wang's Princess on crack.. Not my cup of tea.

-Jay

24 November, 2007

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

Many here compare this to JPG's Le Male, while yes they are similar, they are in no way the same. Not even close.

Le Male is VERY powerful, very easy to over apply and has an unpleasant pungent to the ole' nostrils carbonated feeling when smelled.

360 White on the other hand tones down on those notes, but while toning these few cons of Le Male manages to keep the sillage and longevity.

360 White is very vanilla in its drydown, on my skin has hints of peppermint and lavender. The top notes are identical to Le Male's but imagine turning down the volume on the scent to 25 instead of 50.

Reminds me of cake frosting but imagine a hint of amber, lavender musk and very small bit of citrus.

I prefer this to Le Male due to it is much less offensive..

Echo by Davidoff

This is a bit of a disappointment, I bought this anticipating it would remind me of the "city". Well, it did but not in the way I had hoped. It reminded me how every man down town looks the same, same suit style, same eager demeanor to get to the office in order to get to their next meeting.

This is nothing extraordinary, a regular fresh scent struggling in he world of a lot better fresh scents. No more no less. On top of that it resembles Chrome... Very plain.

But it is not a bad fragrance, just not a good one.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

This reminds me of a common problem that many people endure during high school. There is that one person whom you desperately seek attention from, not just attention, but affection. You crush on them, become friends but the relationship never quite developes into what you had in mind. You and the person are very friendly, you talk every once in a while. But in the end the objective is unaccomplished. Her or she does not hate you, but does not see the full potential in you..

Thats my relationhip with this fragrance. I like it, but not love. It is nice, it has good qualities. But in the end does not have what I need in a fragrance to make me love it.

This is a very pleasant fragrance. With average longevity and average sillage. The Rum, apple and vanilla notes blend very well and bring a warm scent which could be so much more but it is missing something that I cannot put my finger on. It lacks the X-factor.

A great warm vanilla fragrance. In no way cloying or unpleasant. You will never hate it, nor will you love it, it will just be there...

Average-good fragrance.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

If Givenchy was Smith & Wesson and their fragrances were guns, this would without a doubt be the 45.

This fragrance is very powerful, I can see the comparisons to Joop! are quite just. Especially when mentioning the aspect of the colognes sweetness. But do not be confused my friends. While Joop! Is terribly cloying, like being in a sauna with a metric ton of steamed cotton candy and vanilla beans, XR is more refreshing and sexy.

The Sexy comes from, I dont know if it is the spice or the woods, but has a VERY deep smell. Brings a pleasant sensation to ones nose. The longevity is 24 hrs. The sillage is VERY loud on intial application. Very sweet and, what I believe to be the cedar note makes it a bit gritty. BUT it is by no stretch of the imagination repulsive. Just unusual and powerful.

I find it an excellent fragrance. More sexy than seductive. Definetly not for someone who is looking for a scent that is conservative, Xeryus Rouge has bite to it.

If you want a one shot kill for a scent, this is for you.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

My first Hugo Boss cologne...

The top notes are very obvious, does not take a BloodHound to figure out it is mostly cinnamon, apple and cedarwood.

THe fragrances intial spray and they dry down only differ in once sense.. The warmth. It is not extraordinary but is a great conseravtive scent. Excellent for office wear or casual daytime wear.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Very good "Modern" scent. I cannot help but get a headache when I wear this delightful scent.

It has a very aquatic smell. Which IMO leads to it being reffered to as "modern". Very fresh and great longevity which came as a shocker to me. I figured it would evaporate off the skin easily, but lasted well into 10 hrs.

The grapefruit note in this is very very prominent at least to myself. It blends marvelously with the aquatic molecule note to provide you with a strong top note.

Great fragrance, but I would advise you to wear it for a day before purchasing as the scent evolves quite a bit after application.
    My favortite modern scent

Princess by Vera Wang

I love it... Plain and simple.

15 November, 2007

Pi by Givenchy

The initial burst is very mossy.. The perfume lady who was trying to sell me ADG. Described it as "musky". It isnt as musky as it is musty. The oakmoss and the wood are on the top. Along with an orange note mixed with the vanilla makes it a little funky at first... give it a few hours and at least on my skin it smells of vanilla and benzoin. To be honest it is like a refined Vanilla extract smell. My baby loves it and so do I...

20th October, 2007

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I only smelled this on a card so I cannot say whether or not it will be good on my body chemistry but I am going to wear it tomorrow. I get this barbershop thing from it. IMO it is like one reviewer said.. has a soda fizzy smell right out of the bottle. But after it settles you can smell the vanilla.

20th October, 2007