Reviews by DOCPSYCHO

DOCPSYCHO's avatar
    DOCPSYCHO

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

I love this fragrance. Spicy, sweet but not too sweet. Almost made for the winter holiday season. On me it has poor sillage and longevity. That would be the only reason I won't run right out and get this one. I really enjoy the bright orange as opposed to the bitter orange in so many fragrances. It is not gourmond but it reminds me of the candied fruits and spices one smells at Christmas time in the kitchen. I give this one a neutral only because of the longevity and sillage issues on me.

18th October, 2008

Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum

A nice scent but I believe it a bit confusing. None of the notes really stand out and progress. A half hearted attempt to imitate JHL with much less sillage and staying power. The price tag is very pretentious to say the least. I guess I would expect better for the price. Not a bad fragrance. Just an ill defined melange of different notes. Save yourself some money and get a bottle of JHL. At least when you wear JHL you know you are wearing something and it has defined notes and progression through the top, mid and basenotes.

30th August, 2008

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

First of all I have to say I love the fragrance. The notes are deep. Sweet at first and almost reminds me of candied fruit. Not at all cloying though. I detect some smooth pine notes and maybe something like nutmeg or clove but very light and smooth. No pine branches clubbing you over the head in this one. The spices are there but they are almost creamy but not gourmond or foody in nature. When it dries down the is this awsome honey scent with just a hint of citrus. Very creamy. Then it is just gone.

The scent is great but for the money it doesn't have even the legs of the regular Tom Ford for men. Two sprays on the neck and one on the chest. Two and one half hours later it is just gone. Undectable. I refreshed it with three more sprays and it was gone again after 3 and one half hours. For 73 dollars per oz I expect to be a scent to last at least 5 to six hours at the least. To my nose it also wears close to the skin as well. I am almost certain the longevity issue was not from scent fatigue either. If you want to use a 1.7 oz bottle up in one months time this is the stuff for you.

23rd November, 2007

Persian Leather by Caswell-Massey

I like it but it smells a tad bit like gasoline when you first apply it. In a minute or two it settles down to a nice scent. It reminds me of the old Jovan Ginsing which I used to adore.

26th September, 2006

Lux by Mona di Orio

I just recieved a sample tube from Aedes today. Very silky smooth. To my nose the cedar and amber are dominant but the cedar is not harsh at all. It is very well blended even though it comes to the foreground with the amber. The vanilla is there too but seems to smooth everything else out rather than assault your senses as in some other compositions. I suppose some would consider this a winter fragarence but it was 75 degrees F today and it was very comforting to me. Not cloying at all.

This seems to be a complex fragarence but not overly burdened with extranious ingrediants just for the sake of being able to say it has " The Most". For me every note seems to click in place and was judiciously considered. Quite bottleable for me.

docpsycho

04th June, 2006

Greyland by Montale

A very heady brew of deep fresh cut wood shavings. Cedar for certain. The description on the Aedes website says there is sandalwood in there but to my nose the other woods overpower it. This fragerance is not for the faint of heart or if your looking for light ephemeral stuff that you may or may not catch a light whiff of during the day. To my nose this is knock your sox off manly. I seem to detect a basenote of ambergris as well that gives it a slight animalistic charicter as well. Quite complex with an almost inscensy headiness. Well worth sampling. I wouldnt get this scent blind though. Now that I have tried it I find it quite bottleable for myself though.

27th April, 2006

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

This was very strong and sharp on my skin. I had to wash it off after 10 minutes. It smelled like some ally that the winos had been using for a toilet to my nose. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough for this juice but I know what I don't like and and this is it.

08th April, 2006