Reviews by 20scents

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Awesome retake of the bold original! I managed to get this bad boy recently off of ebay, and I am not disappointed! It takes the pungent notes of the original and douses it with a healthy amount of citrus; more suited, as it was intended, for warmer weather, but it can be used in colder ones perhaps. Glad to own this one!!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Controversial scent indeed! I as others in this forum found Kouros to be dated, funky, and loud. I thought, who could wear this stuff? But as of late, after trying on hundreds of the simpler new scents and getting used to the favorites that I own, I suddenly found myself liking this one after a single spritz on my hand: The stuff lasts forever, and is so rich, woody, animalistic, and courageous! In the winter, it is a great scent to wear; for the summer, there is the summer and sport versions, which are lighter and maybe more manageable. This scent is to be tried to be believed! Acquired taste scent, scent which grows on you after you initially are repulsed...give it a shot. :-)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Spicy, sophisticated, clean, fairly long lasting...did I mention, spicy? I dig a lot of the older, spicier scents like Z-14, and I find Creed BdP achieves what very few spicy scents do: Hit you with spice that is pure and simple! The Creed accord in the bottom notes are there to be sure. A great change of pace from other tangy, sweet, or watery scents, to be worn on special occasions.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

212 at first didn't really excite me all that much. Seemed just like a run-of-the-mill citrus scent. But over time, I had started to notice its fresh, slightly musky notes that was actually pleasant to wear. The sandalwood in the base really sticks out. I don't know what transparent musk is, but I guess it helped, too. :-)

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

A crisp, green, Eau Savage/Imperiale/4711 type scent that is a delight to wear! Its longevity is not great on me, but it has freshness to it which I find appealing while it lasts. Give it a try if you like watery, green, fresh scents! :-)

Hummer by Hummer

Not bad, but I find it to be too simple and basic. I do not mind wearing it, it's just not as deep as I would like it. A very crisp, outdoorsy scent to be sure, Hummer was not a complete failure, IMO. I think the Hummer H2 scent that came next was much better.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Nice, fresh, crisp new offering from Alfred Dunhill. The liquid looks snappy, and I love the bottle! :)

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Startling, fresh scent. Reminiscent of Drakkar, as others have pointed out. Still, has a unique quality to it that makes it stand out.

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

What a wonderfully smooth scent! It is unlike the original 273, with a subtle, lavender powdery quality that points to the sensitive side of a man. And it's easy to get gift sets of this one for dirt cheap (e.g. Perfumania).

On El by J del Pozo

I am still trying to grasp this scent. It resembles Rocabar by Hermes to an extent, but wow it has so many notes that take it in uncharted directions! Maybe this one will grow on me, I'll have to see. :-o

Aramis by Aramis

One of the first scents that really caught my attention! Its aerosol like delivery is unusual nowadays, and the scent itself is sophisticated, masculine, and fresh. Wish it could last longer, but otherwise I recommend trying this one out!

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

A classic scent for all times! So many men's fragrances throughout the years have taken this basic, simple scent and spun it their way. Tangy, green, refreshing scent, esp. for warmer weather. A must to check out for the serious collector of classic scents.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Watery, lovely scent from Perry Ellis. Envelopes you with energy and delight.

Eau de Cartier Relaxante by Cartier

Very, very interesting stuff! It bears a very slight resemblance to the original two Eau de Cartier...mostly, in the bottle design! It is so soft, mysterious, lightly musky and relaxing indeed. If you don't rub it, it is stronger; rub it, and the "relaxante" kicks in! Cool scent, very unnoticed methinx. :-)

30th November, 2005

Samouraï by Alain Delon

Clean, fairly bright scent that reminds me a lot of Joop's Nightflight scent. It starts out brightly, then dims down like a candle, though with the same essence. Has an aquatic quality to it, but it all depends on how the smeller interprets it, I think. Love the curvy bottle (reminds me of Chopard's Casran with its ergonomic design :-)) and blue colored liquid. Give it a whirl!

30th November, 2005

Tuscany per Uomo Forte by Aramis

A bold, smooth scent from the Aramis company. Wow! The original was great too, but on me it did not last. This one not only lasts, but is simply richer and more interesting than the original. The middle and basenotes really stand out over time. Not for those desiring a subtle, singular, linear fragrance; Tuscany Uomo Forte is meant to grab your attention quickly! Too bad it no longer is offered. ;[

28 November, 2005

Héritage by Guerlain

A smooth, powdery, sophisticated scent that is classy, as is all of the Guerlain fragrances. Similar to Gucci Envy, but not as sweet. Has a nice floral heart that is not feminine at all and exudes masculinity. Guerlain's L'Instant for men is sort of like Heritage, but not as good, IMO.

18 November, 2005

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

A very delightful, smooth fragrance, similar to Boss in Motion but deeper yet still. Elicits compliments and is a very pleasant scent to own and wear. Bravo, Hugo Boss. ;-)

09 November, 2005

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

A nice, powdery, citrus scent that is reminiscent of others in the wonderful Hugo Boss line (e.g. Boss Soul). It makes me feel relaxed and confident! Love the bottle and how easy it is to control just how much I want to spritz on.

09 November, 2005

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Hmph! Being a big fan of Le Male, I thought I'd try this blindly, based on some of the good reviews on basenotes. This one definitely comes off smelling like JPG Classique for women, and it stings with a sweetness that - for the moment, perhaps - I can't really like. It seems to lean more towards the feminine side as a unisex scent. I don't hate it, but it's not great, IMO.

07 November, 2005

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

INTERESTING! :-) This one is unlike any other men's Christian Dior scent that I have ever experienced. It is sweet, not cloyingly so, and has a smooth feel to it that is reminiscent of Casran by Chopard (another exquisite oriental scent). It is complex, musky, sweet, woody...just a wonderfully crafted Dior scent!

07 November, 2005

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Givenchy puts out fragrances which I tend to like more or less. Blue Label looks very generic sitting on the many counters of department stores, kiosks, etc. that I have seen. But it is such a smooth, pleasantly citrus scent which energizes me. It is a toned-down scent in the likes of Echo, another very pleasant citrus scent. I prefer it to the slightly confusing Red Label, which somehow I can't quite grasp. Blue Label doesn't turn rancid, and it exudes masculinity. This scent is best for casual atmospheres. Love it! :)

12 October, 2005

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

This was an amazing new find for me recently! I have found few new scents that exude a classic, feel-good spiciness and masculinity as this one does. I even bought the accompanying deodorant to this one, which is lovely in its own right. :-)

08 October, 2005

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

This one continues in the tradition of Ambro de Jacomo, the more exotic of the Jacomo oriental scented line. Rouge is better than the Jacomo de Jacomo black bottle original, which seems to be a cousin of Cigar Aficianado. ;-p~~ Anyhow, Rouge is long-lasting, smooth, with a Le Male vibe to it for sure. Sure to please!

08 October, 2005

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Hmmm....tried to like this one. It's not bad, but maybe it's that unpleasant olive flower that keeps prodding me in the midst of an otherwise decent scent with potential. It seems to have too much in it, or just not the right stuff, for it to be a great fragrance. Best suited for casual outings, I think. (And is this the scent
    to replace Emporio Armani Night, a masterpiece
    which I miss?_

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Tried to like this one. It's not all that bad, but it is a bit strong for a citrus scent. It has a mysterious quality to it overall that has one scratching the head trying to figure this one out. Acquired taste, methinx. ;-)

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

A bold, super-woody experience! It is sexy in an animal sort of way, unlike any other woody scent out there (although Commes des Garcones is in the same category). Sophisticated box, striking bottle, and extraordinary brown liquid inside. Be sure to try it first, and then try it again after some while, to get the best impression of this scent; it may or may not work, depending on your impression.

The Dreamer by Versace

I always dabble with the Versace line: So many scents coming from so many perspectives for so many audiences. The Dreamer is decidely in the oriental fragrance category, like Le Male, 360 white, Cuba Gold, Britto, and the like. This one, however, is brighter and - er - dreamier than them all, though! Lasts forever, and stays the same on the skin all day. It almost has an icy, cool quality in its sweet character. Kool scent, Gianni! :-)

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

A bold, clean, grab-your-attention scent that smacks of sophistication and originality (although "Clean Ultimate" is very close to smelling like it). I do like the original Gendarme, but not its low longevity on my skin. This EDP lasts a bit longer, but I like its deeper quality vs. the original. Hard to find in stores, and when found, demands some real buck$. Nevertheless, a real treat to wear every once in a while, when I want to draw some hardcore attention/compliments. ;)

05 October, 2005

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

A rich, decidedly masculine woody creation! I much prefer this to the unisex CdG2. This one is similar in a way to Gucci pour Homme, but it contains that unmistakable boldness and distinctive "CdG" character that the "Odeur" scents have. Unique and a great scent to stick apart from the rest.

05 October, 2005