Reviews

Reviews by bernat

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

Perhaps purple just doesn't agree with me, but I find it cloying, suffocating, nauseating.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I tried the parfum. It reminds me of 24 Faubourg (which I did not like at first try) and reminds me of rotten oranges.

24, Faubourg by Hermès

Loved Un Jardin sur le Nil. It was my first test of the Hermes fragrance line and I was sure I would all of them. Unfortunately, this seems like one of those dated department store rejects to me at first try. Maybe I need to try it again, but if it smells like that to other people I wouldn't subject them to it.

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

This could easily be unisex. All I get is the grass and patchouli. Refreshing if you're tired of sickly feminine sweet florals. I can't bring myself to wear it in the winter yet, but it'll definitely be on heavy rotation starting late March.
11th December, 2007

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I know it was made in the 40s, but something about it seems very 1960s-70s to me. I guess it was very ahead of its time then! This is very "groovy" for lack of a better word. Reminds me of something Mrs. Brady or Augusten Burroughs' mother would wear when she was getting ready in her Emilio Pucci dress in the beginning.

On me, I can't picture wearing this before 5pm, without smoking or without wearing brown and/or orange and/or avocado green. Not an everyday fragrance unless you're old enough to have been around in the 70s.
07th December, 2007

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Reminds me of something Marla Singer from Fight Club or Courtney Love might wear. Like others have said, it's nearly sickeningly, poisonously, saccharine sweet (but without the nasty aftertaste of artificial sweeteners). Very 1997, but I don't mean that as a bad thing. Definitely a moody, going-out fragrance for me.
07th December, 2007

Scent by Costume National

Very confident, sophisticated, and androgynous.
30th November, 2007

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I don't get the big deal with this fragrance. It seems dated and masculine to me.
30th November, 2007

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It evokes warm, fuzzy memories a simple time that I don't even think I have. It's very cozy and intoxicating. This would be a beautiful signature scent.
27th November, 2007

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Amazing. I bought this unsmelled based on recommendation and I do not regret it! It's so soft and beautiful that it's just intoxicating. It's youthful without being "too young". It's ideal for work/day wear, but it's so versatile.
26th November, 2007

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

Very unobtrusive, and I mean that as a good thing. It's perfect for work or interviews because it hardly smells like a perfume, just like you are incredibly fresh and clean.

It is, however, slightly more personal and "fragrancey" than just rubbing laundry sheets on yourself.
14th November, 2007

Cocoa Tamarind by Voluspa

Cozy! It borders on too sweet though.
09th November, 2007

It for Women by Peter Thomas Roth

My roommate made an animated puppy face and said "Apples!"

The bottle was embarrassing to have around though "IT IS THE BOMB IT IS YOU IT IS IT". An okay gimmick in theory, but IT ended up so tacky. IT is the main reason it's getting a neutral. IT also had poor longevity.
09th November, 2007

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

Hyper-sweet grenadine at first. I found it absolutely mouthwatering aided by the darling confection of a bottle. It would be overwhelming if it stayed like that, but thankfully it fades to a more mature, sophisticated smell as it wears on. It's warm and cozy for winter and probably also works for hazy summer evenings.

Oh, and it tags my dirty laundry as "the girl who smells good".

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I think the juvenile impression mostly comes from the gauche bottle and package. I agree that women over 30 could afford to look into something more sophisticated. Nothing wrong with being youthful though. Better than smelling like Old Aunt Betty's formaldehyde.

On me, the fruitiness doesn't stick and all I'm left with is something warm and feminine. Bonus: it's cheap, you only need the tiniest splash, and doesn't fade too easily.

Max Mara by Max Mara

Reminds me of an apple cinnamon dumpling at first. Fades to something less foody and more subtle/"sophisticated" as it wears. The subtlety lasts until you take a shower or do your laundry.