Reviews by Dame Piglet

Flower by Cynthia Rowley

Lovely and sadly, discontinued. As others have described, lily with a soft, musky dry down. Great longevity and terrific sillage. I really love this one.

11th July, 2011

Vampire by Body Fantasies

I tested this out today because it has many notes I like. I can see why Miss Magic likes it because it is pretty, but I personally like more sandalwood/musk smells in my choices. I had to pass on this one.

17 June, 2011

SJP NYC by Sarah Jessica Parker

I like this. The opening is lovely*, the low notes are warm, the midnotes are just okay. Over all it's really nice. The bottle is pretty garish, and if you are looking for a scent that is quirky like Carrie's fashion, you'll have to look elsewhere*.
    The lady at the cologne counter warned me that a little of this goes a long way, and she was correct. I bought a set with the body wash (not very strong), lotion and small bottle of the toilette spray. I took a shower and used all 3 (just a small amount of the edt) and nearly knocked my fiance out. He says it smells great, but we need a bigger bathroom if I'm going to do that again.
    By the time I went to bed, the scent had faded to where I wanted it to be: catch a whiff in a breeze and just in close contact. Layering made it last about 10 hours.
    * OK, so I'm revising this just a bit after wearing it a few times... I stand by the "lovely" comment, but with a slight caveat: I don't know what causes it, but sometimes I catch a whiff of (wait for it...) COMET POWDERED CLEANSER! Just for a second... it doesn't linger long, but I happen to LOVE that aspect of the scent. That's why I 'asterisked' the 'quirky' statement. I think that is a very quirky feature of the scent & I LOVE it!

09 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2011)

Paris Hilton Passport : Paris by Paris Hilton

Alas, I am admitting a guilty secret here: I kind of love this fragrance. I was shopping for summer fragrance and the sales lady asked me if I liked cinnamon. When I said "yes", she suggested one of these passport colognes, as she said that they all smell like cinnamon to her. I saw the bottle and laughed! (like anime Barbie) But I don't display my bottles, so I figured, "what the heck."
    I tried all 3 (South Beach (got orange?) and Tokyo (meh)) and while none smelled truly like cinnamon, the opening notes of this one does have a slight spicy opening. But the peach is very evident and lasts throughout.
    This is sweet, but not as sweet as some of the cotton candy scented scents and the creamy, warm amber vanilla peach dry down is great.
    It doesn't last very long (maybe a couple of hours) and it is pretty youthful, like the Ed Hardy scents but more interesting. Buy it, use it and hide the bottle.

09 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2011)

Sexy Little Things by Victoria's Secret

I grabbed a sample-sized bottle of this to try while on vacation. I gave this a positive rating because it does smell nice; not remarkable, but pretty. I don't think the name and packaging fit the scent because although it's a nice daytime scent, it isn't something I'd wear for an evening out (I like a scent like that to pack more "punch" and last longer). I think it would be appropriate for a teen going on a date. Call me "old fashioned", but I wouldn't buy a teenager a scent with the word "sexy" in the title.

The fragrance is very short-lived on me. I think to make this last longer than about 10 minutes, I would have to layer it with lotion.

09 June, 2011

Dream Angels Heavenly by Victoria's Secret

I have a mini bottle and tried it just to figure out what all the hoopla was about. It opens with a very harsh cleaning product smell. I didn't wash it off because I was hoping some great reward was waiting for me at drydown.

It dried down to a banal, slightly floral, slightly powdery scent. Not offensive, but not alluring either. Perhaps my chemistry is very different from average and the scent is wonderful on others. I will not buy a full sized bottle unless someone specifically asks for it as a gift.

23 May, 2011

Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

I actually really like this scent. It's not expensive, but that's fine with me. The scent is starts off fruity floral (not surprising) but then it mellows warmly. People have to stand within a foot of me to smell it, so it's fine for work. I could see how it wouldn't work for everyone, but it's easy to sample scents at BBW, so why not?

21st May, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2011)

Brown Sugar and Fig by Bath and Body Works

Not a "cookie cutter" fragrance. It's not like so many of the fruity florals that are so popular right now. It's a cozy cold weather scent. Starts off sweet and peppery, ends warm and fuzzy. I don't layer this one because I fear layering may make it become too strong.

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works

When this scent first came out, I was not impressed. I tried it again recently and I really liked it. Knock out citrus (almost bitter, but in a good way) in the beginning, then dries down to a terrific and smooth summer scent. It lasts for quite awhile and doesn't knock the neighbors over when I walk down the hall.

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

This is not really my style, but it smells nice enough. The great part is that we've discovered that it keeps gnats away.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Abrasive top notes dry down to Dial soap scent on me. My friends have all remarked that "it's not bad, but smells like cheap perfume." On someone with different chemistry it may be wonderful. I detect no fruit in the fragrance at all.

20th May, 2011