Reviews by sasqwer

sasqwer's avatar
    sasqwer
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Having this fragrance quite a long time, I like to nostalgically use it now and then. I haven't smelled the new formula yet but Dior Homme Intense I know is charming. Powdery clime as if had salty quality to it. It is somehow sweet but differently, salty-sweet, iris and cocoa give it touch of nature. Smoked glass of bottle reveals reliable companion. This fragrance has all the potential: summer heat, sweetness of night, date, romance, french kissing. Works equally on men and women. Man is a lover, prince with bouquet of flowers. Woman is daring, glimmering eyes in dark.

More: 1) This does not work in cold weather for me. 2) longevity might differ, usually long and strong. 3) Sporadically used makes it special. 4) The bottle has such delightful design. 5) This is like zillion times better than Dior Homme.

No.032 Bay Rum by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

I don't know whether is this still available, I bought it back in 2008. This is more of an actefact, symbol for me, I do not really wear this as it doesn't last etc. However, the rum, warm character creates sepia shaped image of the olden days. Men who smoke cuban cigars and drink litres of scotch. Men who wear panama hats and drive fluffy cars. Absolutely amazing odour!

Remarks: 1) I used to own the after-shave, beautiful combo! 2) If you happen to see it, try it, purchase it! 3) women, kids, even other men admire it. 4) masculine spices add almost feeling of safety. 4) warm, warm weather day or night, splendid.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Black is fragrance of a great reputation which I can't really commit with. I admit it has paradox combo of odd rubber opening with sweet vanilla-like base but it is not such a big deal. I appreciate its restrained intimacy and thus use it as a night scent. I would not wear this during day as I consider it dull, boring and waste of time. Hideous bottle, unpractical to use.

Couple things: 1) It is often compared to high quality, even niche scents – I wonder why. 2) It probably won't be a disappointment, neither a score. 3) You have no reason to blind buy it but be aware: 4) It seems to be more interesting on paper than on the skin. 5) Lacks projection.

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

Fragrance released from Montblanc that is almost as exceptional as are their fountain pens. Very nice and decent presentation, color of juice is shade of orange that conceals luxury aspects. I dare say it smells luxurious, especially if considering the price paid (30$), it is a bargain. This is not anything unique or so but it is truly pleasant, decent scent. It thrives on warm day, strolling along seashore, joyful.

Little more: 1) The character of the scent is optimistic, opens up a smile. 2) Lacks projection, definitely a skin scent. 3) Average projection, pretty good for what it is. 4) One of a few designer bottles I own, deservedly. 5) Ultimately applicable as a gift, cheap and easy to love.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This particular Bond no.9 is a jewel. It shines as The Golden Age people have been longing for. Its powerful opulent structure connects perfectly delicious vanilla with coffee note that smells divine. Harmonic image, yet aggressive and challenging enough, substantially pleasant for everyone near by. Makes me dream about indulging into its splendour. To top it off, the functional aspects of this fragrance are above limits.

Several remarks: 1) you might brand it as an unisex but you want to smell it on a man. 2) New Haarlem has that evening/important dinner/occasion quality you will appreciate when choosing such fragrance. 3) Projection and lasting power are superb, I get over 10h every single time. 4) Lovely bottle (as all the Bond no.9's). 5) Compliment factor as if driving a Bentley.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to smell most of the Creed's praised masterpieces (exclusive line etc.). My experience goes as far as the regular top sellers (as GIT, OS, MI...) and a few others (Green Valley). Still enough, I reckon Silver Mountain Water to be a hint of genius that happens once a decade. Eccentricity in positively decadent way unfolds gravely alternative way of an aesthetic experience of scents. Surreal composition where black current and tea transforms into metallic note reminds me of alternative universes. In these universes man has no power, it is technical reign of machines. Anytime, I wear this fragrance, as if the associations where created elsewhere than in my mind. I feel almost bound, elected to space where senses transmit information of another kind. Splendid.

Few more things: 1) Wearing this rarely makes it even more special. 2) Metallic freshness works better in warmer air. 3) Longevity is rather average, moody now and than. 4) Piece of olfactory art.

12 June, 2012

Santal 33 by Le Labo

I have tested the whole Le Labo line (including the city exclusives) and this one did very well. I consider it to be the best from the regular line; and the most bottle worthy from all Le Labos as far as the uniqueness of this scent goes. The papyrus opens utterly comforting zone endorsed with truly well crafted tone of sandalwood and cedar. The scent feels dry and warming on the one hand but almost burning and arousing on the other. It took me a little while to fell in love with it but I have fallen deeply as Romeo.

Several more things: 1)This is a masculine scent, almost an archetype of daring heroic man. 2) It can differ according to actual weather but is suitable for every season, very versatile indeed. 3) Longevity and projection is in 85% times excellent, moody in the left 15% (at least on my skin). 4) Be sure to give it a chance before damning it after first sniff – you might eventually enjoy it. 5) 10 out of 10 and one of my all time favorites!

12 June, 2012

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Love at the first sight. This meets all my demands for this sort of fragrance. Love the smoothy frankincense and smoky woods. Best value for your cash. Special one and one of my all times favorites!

Birmane by Van Cleef & Arpels

I like this that much that I gotta wear it even though I am a man. The ultimate potion with the name that is mysterious and seductive: Birmane. In fact this is very hard to find while it was discontinued. I have got my bottle for perhaps 7 years and still smells great. Undoubtedly quality that lasts forever.

Attar by Montale

My first experience with the house of Montale. I am very impressed. Stunning stuff. Elegant, long lasting, delicate and the smell is an oasis for my nose. Rose, saffron, creamy, soft, luscious. I need to get to more from this house. This is a must buy so far!

Aramis by Aramis

I blind bought it- considering all the positive voice. Mistake, indeed! What happens after spraying this monster just once is impossible to describe. It makes me wanna vomit. It floods all around the room and gives no space to breathe. Annoying, brutal and definitely not for me. I offered it to many people as bottle for free but everyone seemed to hate it.
    Awful- needs more negative reviews!

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

This is absolutely fantastic scent. It feels as extension of my soul, gives me the feeling of my own identity- elevated. Rare and sublime. Beautiful.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This kind of fragrances is such a waste of money, go, and look around. I can't sand these ,,safe buys"- boring and dull. I like only the cucumber opening. There is nothing more to it.

21st June, 2011

Face à Face Homme by Façonnable

I used to wear this as boy. The scent is softening, light with breeze of citrus. Not ultimately appealing. Fresh and safe.

21st June, 2011