Reviews

Reviews by Mr.Smellin.Good

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Love it, love it, love it. I wore Curve throughout high school and college and for some reason stopped and moved onto to other scents. Longevity and sillage are just fantastic on me; I can smell the scent on my clothes the next day. To me, it smells similiar to A&F Fierce, where Fierce has a cleaner, woodier smell, if that makes sense. But both scents are of the same family. I think one could easily wear Curve these days and be unique because it's not as popular as it once was.
31st December, 2011

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is actually a very nice scent, despite A&F blasting it through their stores, and just might be one of my favorites right now. I find that it's similiar to the original Curve for men, but with more class and sophistication. Longevity and sillage is pretty good on this as well which gives it a thumbs up in my book.
31st December, 2011

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

One of the best, if not the best, sandalwood scents around. I go back and forth in terms of longevity and sillage on this one. At times, I can smell it 8+ hours on me, and at other times only a few hours. Regardless, it's a great cologne to have and goes very well with the AOS aftershave balm and shaving cream.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Drakkar Noir is one of the best male scents around even though it's an oldie. I love the juniper and lavender combo--so clean and fresh yet dirty in a weird way. The fragrance has no doubt changed since the 80's and 90's, despite an earlier post from me claiming otherwise. I know the original formula has changed because I recently purchased a vintage bottle from a local pharmacy; I figured the pharmacy had low turnover of Drakkar because they sell much higher end fragrances. I was right: the Drakkar box had a 1989 copyright and the print on the back of the bottle says it was manufactured by a different company than what's on the current bottle today. I have to say, though, that today's version of Drakkar isn't that bad and in some ways I like it better. The vintage bottle--despite what everyone claims--doesn't have better longevity and sillage than the current formula. Don't get me wrong, the older formula is different, seems mossier and more leathery and a touch richer, but it doesn't last as long as the current Drakkar. If you're looking for the vintage Drakkar, try Akthar Noir--it's pretty darn close to the vintage bottle I have. Overall, Drakkar Noir is a great fragrance, vintage or current formula.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this fragrance and my wife does too, which says a lot. At first you smell lavender, rosemary and clove and later some light woods. Very classic and easy to wear. I didn't get it at first and thought it wasn't that great, but I tried it a couple of times and it really grew on me. I can definitely see how this smells like shaving cream. I highly recommend Rive Gauche Pour Homme to anyone that likes lavender and woody scents.