Reviews by Akahina

Black Phantom : Memento Mori by By Kilian

Sugary caramel, coffee and sweet chocolate with some sweet heliotrope taking it in a vanilla direction. If you want to smell like a breakfast donut this cloyingly sweet gourmond is for you. It certainly is not for me. Yuck.
12th August, 2017

Myths Man by Amouage

Landshark got it right. This flirts with old lady perfumes so much that I simply can not wear it. The drydown is ok but it is not worth the wait for me for just an ok drydown. I am huge Amouage fan but this one is a complete miss for me. In fact this one sort of made me sick to my stomach. I have a decant that I will continue to test, but I am thinking that I will not come around to liking Myths. 3/10 for me only because the sillage and longevity are on par with what I expect from Amouage.
08th June, 2017

Opus X by Amouage

This has been on my radar since I first heard of its release early in 2016, but samples have eluded me until 2 days ago. As luck would have it, I made a rare stop at The Perfume House and asked to sample just this one perfume, which had just come in. Since they could not find a tester they offered me one of the official samples in one of Amouage's little boxes. Looks like about 2-3ml to me.

There are not many reviews of Opus X out there and what follows are my thoughts. I will preface my thoughts by saying I love roses, have grown hundreds of old and new varieties. Perfumes however sometimes go in a feminine and powdery direction which I personally avoid. I have a few rose centric scents but not many.

Opus X starts with yes, a nice blast of rose but one I can't completely identify. It does not have any of that citrusy top note, but most of that sumptuous middle. This rose is round and full but not sharp if that makes any sense. What could have been a choking (and unattractive to my nose) powderiness is saved by an unusual greenness and a strong metalic quality. I sense that after the initial top notes fade, geranium becomes almost as big of a player as the rose. I can understand people equating the metalic note as "bloody", but to me bloody has a coppery smell and this seems more like iron rust. Into this add an interesting varnish accord and you have this scent's initial profile.

But after an hour or so there is a period where this does become an old violin, or something akin to that. I was reminded of an old varnished bookcase that held an ancient Encyclopedia Britannica that belonged to my Grandmother. Once in a while we would pull one of those old books out and there was a woody, musty smell and something about Opus leaves the impression of age.

As the scent dries down it becomes a nice amber (ambrarome I guess) with a barely noticeable tame oud note with hints of incense...and the aura of rose.

This is a very plesent scent, not feminine at all, nor would I call it masculine. It is an experience anyone could enjoy, but it is different. I don't think I would recommend this scent to a beginner but many experienced folks would at least appreciate the artistry behind this. I consider this to be a top notch release from Amouage and one I expect to add to my collection.

My initial impressions only. Your mileage may vary.
02nd May, 2017

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

One of the worst chemical abortions ever made. So many great perfumes are discontinued and I wonder why this atrocity is still in production. Abysmal.
23rd March, 2017

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

Smells nice enough when you apply it. But, 15 minutes later and pfffft! Gone. Too bad. I sort of like it for the first 5 minutes until it fades. This is a remarkable achievement. How can any scent fade so quickly?
09th February, 2017

Palo Santo by OLO

I have not reviewed a fragrance for some time, simply because my skills at identifying notes is terrible compared to the many expert reviewers around here. But this scent is obscure so here goes.

This "perfume" is based on coconut oil, not alcohol. And apparently made from natural ingredients, so some performance issues are apparent. The ingredients listed seem to be just what you get and little to nothing else. First off there is an odd yet familiar floral quality, which has to be the champa flower. Yes, familiar from the widely used nag-champa incense. And I do smell palo santo which is rarely used in perfumery for some odd reason. It smells wonderful so I have always wondered why such a scent has been overlooked. But the palo santo is joined by an unfamiliar woody scent which reminds me just a little bit of sandalwood or some conifer. I assume this has to be siam wood. And that is about it. This wears rather close to the skin and longevity is about 8 hours. Not much development as the scent just slowly disappears.

This seems to be more of an aromatheropy scent rather than a proper perfume. Very simple and approachable. A good scent but nothing to bee terribly excited about except for the fact that there are almost no palo santo scents to be found, but I found one.

I give this a neutral rating only because I have been trying to find a palo santo scent. This will do for now.

EDIT: 8 Hours is,a stretch. 4 hours and it gone.
12th November, 2016 (last edited: 04th July, 2017)

Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne

Love how this scent smells on the opening, very realistic and simply delicious! For about 15-30 minutes, then *poof*, it's gone. Too bad performance and longevity are so lacking in this one. I have to take a pass on buying.
02nd August, 2015

Incense by Franck Boclet

Incense? Where? This is a clean musk and soapy scent and nothing more. Not quite a scrubber but why bother? If I wanted to smell like soap I would not rinse after a shower.
11th April, 2015

Patchouli Nosy Be Eau de Parfum by Perris Monte Carlo

This is a fascinating fragrance that goes through many changes. From the sharp begining with a dose of pepper supporting an unusual patchouli, which does not seem to have as much earthy or bitter quality as one might expect. Then comes a mid with a definate cocao note that almost, in combination with the pepper makes this lean slightly gourmond to my nose. Labdinum, vanilla, amber and touches of cocao and patchouli remain in the base. Great longevity.
19th March, 2015

L'Aigle de la Victoire by Rancé 1795

Man, this is a tough, spit on the street tough leather. A dirty vibe throughout. Birchtar, some woods and incense and just enough oud to make you notice. This is a dirty beauty, but not for the faint of heart. Most definitely masculine. If you like pretty scents, stay away. But if you like a lot of skank this is one to try. I can't improve on alfarom's review which is spot on.
17th March, 2015

07 Tanoke by Odin New York

Like the pyramid, bitter orange and ginger with a bit of pepper at the top and then a lot of frankensense and woods. At first sniff I knew I had to have this one. Definately a woody incense fragrance. Not timid but well behaved. Some complain about longevity but it lasts and lasts on me. This will become a staple in the fall. The best from Odin IMHO. FBW.
28th August, 2014

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

I got a free sample of this and while going through my samples tonight I thought that since I was completely unfamiliar with this one I would give it a try. Sorry I did. Foetidus was right. A scrubber. Could not wait to get this mess off. Yuck. Citrus, basil, patchouli poorly done.
12th July, 2014

Lyric Man by Amouage

Compared to many other scents from the house of Amouage, I am disapointed. The rose is pleasent but not that strong or up front for me. Even the incense is fairly muted Somewhat powdery and honestly reminds me of soap. Not a complete miss but certainly not a favorite. Unisex for sure but perhaps more appropriate for a mature woman.
27th March, 2014

Zahd by Slumberhouse

Imagine tart cranberries dipped in unsweetend cocao powder and Mysore sandalwood while burning nag champa incense and drinking a glass of red wine. Unique, unisex, non-linear and with a changing character as the scent develops through its long life. One of the best scents by anyone in years IMHO and almost in a new category that could be called a gourmond attar.
20th February, 2014

Bullion by Byredo

Fruity, floral, leather, woody, musky, sweet, according to Fragrantica. What's not to like? I, for one, love scents with a plum note and this one is delicious. Add to it a bit of floral a touch of leather and a hint of sandalwood and musk and you have something reasonably unique. There is a hint of dirtyness here too but nothing to put anyone off. Not a powerhouse scent but lasting a good 6-8 hours and longer as a close skin scent. I get a bit of a waxy character which I really like. Some people have said this is challenging but I see it as both unique and very wearable and quite unisex. Nothing to be scared of here. Perhaps the best Byredo but sadly a limited release. I obsessed on getting this for quite a while. Very glad to have it in my rotation.
06th January, 2014

Norma Kamali Incense by Norma Kamali

best incense perfume period

My shortest review ever.

Straight up frankensense and myrrh. Lasts 24 hours plus. Great projection. Pretty linear but who cares with this beauty? Simultaneously dry, smoky and a touch sweet. One drop is all you need. If there is a holy grail, this may be it.

Pros: long lasting and powerful
Cons: almost impossible to find"

25th October, 2013

Poivre 23 by Le Labo

amazing take on "gourmond"

Most Le Labo fragrances are ok but in general not all that astounding. This one parts the sea and can be polorizing at first sniff. The top note of pepper can be off putting if this is not an aroma you appreciate...but I love pepper. Both the smell and the taste. (I blacken my food much to the surprise of others around me.) But fear not.

The jolt of pepper during he first half hour soon subsides and gives way to resins, incense and vanilla. Vanilla and pepper turns out to a delicious combination. Also present is a nice touch of guaiac wood, sandalwood and patchouli.

Starts out decidedly masculine and softens as time passes to become softer and a bit more feminine but very wearable by anyone. An unique oriental with a shocking blast of wonderful pepper at the start. Longevity borders on incredible lasting well over 12 hours, almost 24 hours.

Twice a year Le Labo offers their city exclusives at their retail locations. This is one of the very few times I have purchassed a small bottle. The $440 price for 100ml is stupidly rediculous! $290 for 50ml is even worse (per ml) but my bank account appreciates the extra $150. But even at this price this is a scent I needed in my collection. At least I have the bottle and can get refills later if I run out. The fact that I sprayed liberally in the store and got 3 nice sized samples before I left makes the high price a little easier to take.

Not a blind buy! Sample first. If you visit or live in London make sure to sample. If not then get it while you can or wait 2 years...

Pros: pepper lovers rejoice!
Cons: stupidly expensive and exclusive to London almost all the time."

03rd October, 2013

Opus VII by Amouage

challenging and green
OK, I have worn this several times, including yesterday. This one is tough cor me to figure out. I will say that every time I have worn this I have gotten multiple comments.
Top Notes: Galbanum, Pink Pepper, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Fenugreek
Heart Notes: Agarwood Smoke, Patchouli, Ambrox, Leather, Ambergris
Base Notes: Costus Root, Muscone, Sandalwood, Olibanum, Cypriol
I wish I knew what Galbanum, Costus Root, Muscone, and Cypriol smelled like! A couple of others are a guess too. Those of you with trained noses may know better...This one does indeed start of quite green and dry at the same time, a bit shocking to be honest but in a good way.
My initial sniff of this astounded me and is what inapired me to buy a bottle. But this uncommon top moves on quickly within half an hour. Then it turns into a sweeter and spicy (maybe even slightly dirty) middle. I get an unusual spicy, leathery feeling at this point and people notice. Lots of complements at this point. I get the feeling that this one projects well at this point but never in a cloying or overly strong mannor. It seems to to a light yet projecting scent if that makes any sense. Amazing. As the wearer I get whiffs of the scent but don't feel like I am in a cloud of scent. "Airy" is the word I would use but certainly present. At the drydown stage, which takes quite a while, the base seems to be a bit more typical of Amouage. It seems to be somewhat incensey and woody with a slightly musky quality.
Like I said there are quite a few notes in this I can not identify but I don't really care. All I know is that this one is quickly becoming a favorite. Unusual, long lasting and perhaps a bit of a challenge at the top for a few minutes, but the challenge subsides quickly and what is left is a beautiful scent that does not over-power yet remains noticable for a very long time. Here I am 24 hours after I sprayed it and yet I can still smell this as a skin scent. Amazing. Quality stuff. Perhaps I will eventually figure this one out.
Pros: unique
Cons: price"</p>
25th September, 2013 (last edited: 30th March, 2016)

Tubéreuse 3 L'Animale by Histoires de Parfums

An outstanding tuberose

This has been on my list to try for quite a while and when I found a 13ml size, well, I had to buy it!

I have found another favorite in a tuberose which is challenging for men because of the sheer audacity of the note itself. Very heady and floral and potentially suffocating. But in this concoction the tuberose is restrained (bad choice of words) by immortal with a sweet hay like aroma. Added to that is a base of tobacco and some woody notes which can make this an interesting choice for a guy. But make no mistake about it, tuberose is present all the way through this scent from the first moments to the very end which takes all day to arrive. Added to all of this is a plum note in the middle (a favorite note of mine) that adds an interesting fragrant diversion in the middle.

Sillage is impressive as is longevity. Both feminine and masculine and neither. Not sure where the "animale" is in this one but as far as I am concerned this is certainly a top tier tuberose scent. Of my three tuberose scents, Carnal Flower, Tuberouse Criminalle and this, Tubereuse 3 Animale, I simply can not choose a favorite. I love them all for different reasons, but of the three this one may be the most "wearable" for me.

Pros: longevity, sillage
Cons: some guys may not like florals"

07th September, 2013

Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Boy, this could be a love it or hate it fragrance. I have read how this is a silage monster so I sprayed one spray on my chest before work today. I felt like I was drowning in perfume all day. Do not over apply this! Yes, sort of flowery and with quite a bit of powdery smell for me, something I don't usually like but this was OK. Although I do get the flowers and the powder but it is not, as some people say a feminine perfume. How, I don't know, but there is a masculinity in this that most fragrances for women don't have. In fact, I might like this just a tiny bit more if there were some slightly sweeter notes mixed with a touch of something heavier, some musk perhaps.

Strong, long lasting, metrosexual but not a woman's fragrance at all. I guess I will say I like rather than love this and I will not wear if often but I will wear this. May update this review at some point...

EDIT: Do not (repeat), do not over apply. I sprayed my chest once last night and a tiny spray on each arm last night. BIG mistake. One short spray under your clothes is enough. The smell is sort of heavy, waxy and floral (the waxy smell somehow reminds me of Black Orchid) and the projection and silage are strong. I had people turning around in the club to see where the smell was coming from. I like this but in small doses and I am one that likes a fragrance to have projection. The sprayer should have a governor on it. LOL.
26th June, 2012

I Love New York for Marriage Equality by Bond No. 9

This scent starts off with a noticeable note of Mandarin Orange and nutmeg with the slight presence of plum. The basenote of sandalwood is apparent from the very beginning. As the orange fades the white flowers become evident but never overpowering. As for the floral notes, for the most part I smell ginger lily and jasmine but according to the published notes there is rose here too. Mostly the white flowers done in a minimal fashion that complements the sandalwood and other woody notes so well. I would swear there is a touch of cinnamon too. As the scent ages on the skin a wonderful amber accord is added to the mix.

This is not a flowery scent but it is at the same time; just enough to round out the spices and amber. Mostly this is a sweet sandalwood spice mix with a bit of delicious floral added to the heart with that mandarin and plum at the beginning.

One could say the floral aspect of this perfume would make it feminine but the woody and spicy nature would make it masculine. Verdict: Unisex. Can be worn by anyone. I have blown through two sample vials and have ordered a full bottle. I even carried a sample vial with me last night and offered a spray to those that complemented me on the fragrance and this one did garner complements from both men and women.

_________________________

I wondered earlier today if this was similar to Andy Warhol by Bond and since I have Andy Warhol, I sprayed one arm with Andy and the other with ILNYFME about 3 hours ago. Upon first spray I thought they were indeed very similar, at least inhabiting the same fragrance "space" for lack of a better term. The main difference at the top that I could discern was the presence of mandarin in ILNYFME. But after the top notes dried off the two presented themselves quite differently. Andy had that almost sour and medicinal "band aid" note of oud which could be enhanced by the plum note. ILNYFME on the other hand evolved to a sweeter and spicier space with a more definite sweet sandalwood/amber modified with a hint of sweet white floral. So my first impression was yes, quite similar, but after a white to two evolved into quite different scents. This may sound strange, but now when I smell the two next to each other the first thing I think about with Andy is "sour milk". I never thought that before! And it really does not smell like sour milk so I can't really explain that reaction...

I liked Andy enough to buy a bottle, but ILNYFME is better for me today, at least somewhat sweeter. Loving the sandalwood note quite a bit.
23rd June, 2012 (last edited: 28th June, 2012)

Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma

This one has some of the most natural smells I have experienced in any fragrance. It starts of with a very nice citrus note of orange and bergamot tempered with a slightly sharp and green note of myrtle. As it progresses there comes a slightly sweet smell of black current and rose with a couple of other floral notes. In the end a "just right" blend of amber, cedar and juniper is added to the mix and it seems a touch of musk. Very unisex and an amazing aroma for the summer months. Longevity is not amazing at about 4-5 hours for me before it becomes a skin scent, but that is acceptable for a summer fragrance. Definitely not boring as a summer scent like so many aquatics and yet there seems to be a slight sea accord in here too. This one is is not overpowering in warmer weather, just right.
28th May, 2012

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I am searching for a summer fragrance and here are my thoughts on this one.

Chanel has a MASSIVE advertising campaign for this fragrance and the salespeople push this one hard. When at Nordstrom's I found one I wanted to try and was "forced" to try this Chanel on my other wrist. The lady that sprayed it immediately told me she liked this better on my skin. I was pushed to buy this because it was their best seller and they could not keep it in stock! Well, good for Nordstrom's! I bet their profits are great and the mark up has to be huge.

So I think this fragrance is good, nothing that stands out from the crowd in my opinion and it deserves to be popular...it is a good scent. I might be tempted to have this as a fragrance in my collection but why would I want to smell like all those other people that have this in their collection? Why should my signature summer scent be one where people will say, "gee, you smell like my boyfriend", or "my boss" or "my dad"?

I am afraid this is or will be a ubiquitous scent. I want something unique that is not on everyone's shelf. I will pass on this safe buy.

I need to wash this off because my eyes hurt from the vapors.

Acqua di Gioia by Giorgio Armani

Simply a BEAUTIFUL fragrance. A nice and reasonably strong opening of lemon and mint. After the opening there is a nice peppery note and the jasmine becomes apparent, and then some nice woody notes. A very beautiful and interesting EDP that, even though it is floral and sweet, I feel is good for a man too. Why would I say that? Because I am a man and I wear this instead of very boring and ubiquitous Acqua di Gio for men (which I smell on so many men). If you are a confidant man and want a nice summery Acqua di Gio scent, consider this instead.

Am I the only man that likes this enough to wear it?

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

So this fragrance is rather popular, but around my parts I never smell this one. I am torn between the EDT and the Pure Parfum version.

This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I could mean spoiling, a stronger orange odor with a bit of bitterness.) This lasts for a nice period of time and is a great smell modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of ceder and patchouli. All this blends together so nicely and the ending notes are great! For me I never really smell the dirt or flint that others smell, perhaps I am not skilled enough to get this aroma, or maybe it is my skin.

But what I love most about this fragrance is the unique beginning and middle. By the time the end comes it is relaxed and mature, very comfortable and I believe a close to the skin scent of cedar (mostly) with a touch of benzoin and patchouli. Towards the end I want to add a tiny little spray so I can enjoy that unique top that only Terre D'Hermes has an unique smell.

I get about 6+ hours of wear on this but have been told that others can still smell this lightly even though I can smell very little. I wonder about olfactory fatigue on this. As I understand this fragrance has a lot of iso E super, a chemical I know almost nothing about but apparently it can cause olfactory fatigue in some people.

I find myself going between this and Terre d'Hermes Parfum. I love them both and I have worn them together using a lot less of the parfum. The parfum smells much the same to me but richer with top notes that last longer.

This is a mature, masculine and very rich scent for mature men, not for a boy in my opinion. It is sensual, warm, confident, reassuring, classy, unique and simply a modern masterpiece. I think it can be worn at any time, casual or formal, even at the club.

The more I wear this, the more I like it. I have a large bottle of it and will not be without.

Simply stated, this is the best of the best! Perfect score from me.

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

Well, I did it. I bought the 200ml bottle of this and why not? A Pure Parfum at that size for $205 is a steal! (Hermes 24 Fouberg in Pure Parfum strength is $130 for 25ml and Hermes Caleche Pure Perfume costs $230 for 15ml.)

This I believe wears a bit closer to the skin than the EDT but the top notes of citrus last longer. Where the EDT slowly melts the citrus giving way to pepper and ending with a delicious cedary aroma, the Pure Parfum for me keeps more of the citrus through and through and has a deeper, richer aroma of benzoin mixed with wood and citrus. For me the Parfum does not have the same earth or flint smell, or at least not nearly as prominent. This Parfum seems to be a bit more linear in its progression and closer to the skin.

First impressions of these two versions of Terre d'Hermes are that they are very close to the same smell. And indeed the fragrances are at first impression are the same and obviously both Terre d'Hermes. But after wearing both they act differently in their progression.

I love both, I have both and I wear both. Both are long lasting. I give the nod of approval to both! I do tend to wear the EDT on a daily basis and the Parfum for more special occasions. I get the feeling the the quality of ingredients in the Parfum is greater but both are high quality.

If I had to suggest one I would ask if you want a fragrance that changes more (EDT) or is more linear (Parfum), has more silage (EDT) or wears just a tiny bit closer to the skin (Parfum). Either can be worn for any occasion at any time of the year. Probably not for kids but I would say college age and up. Just don't put this on to mow the lawn, it's too good for that. Both are brilliant and MODERN MASTERPIECES!

Jean-Claude Ellena has created two fragrances that initially seem similar or even the same but are actually quite different.

Bravo.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Review for the Original Musk Oil:

Nice an musky with a bit of sweetness to it, maybe a little bit like an old barbershop. A really beautiful and I believe close to the skin scent.

Today I went out and tried Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan on one arm and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan in the other trying to decide which I liked better. Later I went to the Kiehl's store in my city to try this oil. I was surprised to find that this Musk Oil is quite similar to Muscs Koublai Khan, at least that is my first impression! So similar that it was a no brainer to buy the 7ml roll on bottle of this. And even better they were having a sale today (15% off and profits going to AIDS research).

If you like a nice sweet musk, just buy this. You can't go wrong here.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche Eau de Toilette by Chanel

For me this starts with a nice lemon and is so refreshing! And in the end I get a very nice amber mixed with musk. A perfectly wonderful combination and great for warmer months. Very comforting and well made, very balanced and with that Chanel quality. Silage is average and projection is not huge either. And it seems to last on some people but on me it lasts just 2-3 hours. It seems like a personal scent to me, not over powering and rather "close". I LOVE this scent, but since it does not last on me I will not be buying this. Too bad because I adore this fragrance. If this lasts on you, that's great! Try it, buy it and enjoy it. Beautiful... NOTE TO THE REVIEW ABOVE: Perhaps I need to try this again and use a bit more. I really love this one and I think it is my favorite of the year's releases.

longevity : 4/10
projection : 6/10
overall smell : 9/10

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

I sprayed this from the sample bottle at Nordstrom's and I applied quite a bit. Two sprays to the chest and one spray each on my forearms. First impression was that of citron and ginger, I honestly did not smell the juniper but got the feeling it was hiding someplace. then it progressed (slightly) to sweeter middle notes of a mix of things flowery. Nothing stood out so I suppose that means it is well blended. In the end it became somewhat more ambery to my nose.

I did not get the feeling that this was a fragrance that projected much or had much silage. I expected that with four healthy sprays I would be leaving a trail, but no, I don't think I did. It seemed rather mild, weak even to me. A somewhat sweet and unoffending scent. Different from other men's scents I would say but pretty mild, a little sweet and very middle of the road.

I guess I would say I sort of like this one, or at least am not put off by it, I am just not impressed enough to put this in my wardrobe. Can something be different and boring at the same time? Meh!

This has the most irritating and hard to use cap I have ever seen. These swing-top caps are hard to pour a beer from, As a cap for a fragrance, holding and trying to spray is so cumbersome as to be almost impossible to use.

Black Aoud by Montale

I bought this about 6 months ago directly from Montale in Paris. And yes, I got extra concentration. So this grandiose fragrance is even stronger! And..I love it. One spray, maybe two is all I will ever need to smell wonderful.

For me this is a dark and mysterious rose scent complemented by the Aoud. A deep earthy patchouli brings down the rose and integrates well with the Aoud. After several hours the musk adds its sweet presence to the blend with a hint of labdanum. All these together create an aura of intrigue which is both heady and very masculine, although a woman can definately wear this too.

Silage is amazing on this and longevity is also phenomenal lasting over 12 hours. Lasts forever on clothing. Certainly one of the best if not the best from Montale.

Definately best in the cooler months but I can also see wearing this clubbing in the summer, but go light on the trigger at all times or even decant some and dab on a little bit. Nobody will miss smelling this fragrance and you don't want to kill them by wearing 6 sprays! This one will not disappoint unless you over apply.