Reviews by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Champs Lunaires by Rogue Perfumery

Like Derviche, this too deviates from the chypre and green notes.

The opening begins with a sharp pomelo note that provides a brief citrus/grapefruit like smell. Quickly it fades giving way to the tuberose florals. The tuberose is quite elegant and lushes. I wasnít able to pick out the white rose petals blended in with the tuberose but itís slightly different to the tuberose that Iíve smelled in the past. This reminded me of Serge Lutens Tuberose Criminelle . Eventually the tuberose florals tones down giving way to a creamy musky dry down with a backbone of woods aided by the sandalwood.

The longevity and silage are good, not overbearing which is a good thing. Elegant and sensual through the entirety of the scent. Wearing this, I imagine myself in a field of tuberose on a bright clear spring day. Tuberose isnít one of my favorite florals but I do enjoy the composition of this scent. Anyone who enjoys tuberose will surely like this scent.

I hope Manny could continue exploring other genres as well as these scents Derviche and Champs Lunaires are fantastic.

Derviche by Rogue Perfumery

This is the first scent that deviates from the previous 4 (scents in Rouge Perfumery) in which it doesnít focus on chyrpe or green notes.

The opening begins with some sparkling bergamot before it recedes giving way to some tobacco and of course the labdanum. The amber accord is not as dark and resinous as I was expecting it to be but itís not super sweet either. Floral jasmine is met with a sugary amber vaniila accord at the base. In addition, I was able to detect woods and musk in the base. The drydown makes me think of Hermessence Ambre Narguile but itís not exactly the same. A very nice scent overall.

Longevity and silage were good although not as bold as Mousse Illuminee or Le Canotier. I think this is perfect for the individuals who enjoy both amber and jasmine. The jasmine does have a dated feel and definitely it worked in harmony to complement the amber/vanilla accord at the base.

Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery

I would definitely categorize Mousse Illuminee as a power house scent and the most potent of the entire collection.

In the opening I detected strong whiffs of fresh pine leaves. Cypress and laurel leaves began to emerge adding to the scentís bitterness giving Mousse Illuminee a resinous feel which lingered for a long time. Tree moss, wood notes, and musk were present at the base.

As some have already suggested, I too could imagine myself in a forest. The fresh odors of tree sap, the smell pine trees, and aroma of moss in the surrounding all in a cold damp environment.

While it was a good scent overall, this is one that I would have a difficult time wearing.

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

A very dated scent. First thing that came to mind was Coty Chypre. It also made me think about Guerlain Mitsouko although Iíve never smelled an earlier formulation of it.

The opening consisted of a zesty fresh basil note with a little bit of lime that made the scent initially aromatic. The heart introduced a subtle amount of florals, I was able to detect the jasmine here. Finally, the oakmoss emerged supported by sandalwood and a little bit of leather. The drydown was extremely mossy, dry, and green.

A very elegant and refined scent, one that I do enjoy a lot. For someone who enjoys vintage fragrances particularly chypre based scents this is one to try.

Le Canotier by Rogue Perfumery

Two notes stand out to me in Le Canotier: Tabacco and Vetiver. The opening is a bit bright thanks to the citrus note which quickly recedes into the background. Soon the tobacco and violet leaf emerged providing a bright spicy accord fused with some lushes green feel to it. The tobacco resembles the one of Creed Tabarome Millesime. Itís quite potent and becomes a bit polarizing after a while. The tobacco does taper a little but sticks around. The base is met by vetiver which is of the drier and darker kind. A little bit of ambergris can be detected as well, something common in many Creeds. The drydown I felt was a wrestle between the tobacco and vetiver notes. This one has long lasting longevity.

Overall, this one does not appeal to me much. This one reminds of Tabarome Millesime, which is a Creed that I do not enjoy, and this is one that I canít wear. It also felt a bit more modern compared to the others. Most importantly the tobacco combined with the violet leaf, (and moss?) is something I canít get passed. I enjoy vetiver scents but the other notes just make this impossible to enjoy. The quality is definitely there and this one does stand out but just not for me.

Tabac Vert by Rogue Perfumery

This one has been suggested to have similarities to Creed Vintage Tabarome which is my favorite Creed. These are my thoughts.

For the first few minutes the opening was bright and invigorating, this I believe is the bergamot note. The opening of Tabac Vert I would say is the closet in resemblance to VT. The tobacco and pepper starts to emerge giving it a darker and dry feel. In addition, the mossy accord begins to take effect thanks to richness of the oakmoss present in the scent. The similarities are definitely there between the two scents. I do feel that TV is a bit more modernized than VT not exactly the same but itís not far from it. I think if the average nose were to compare the two s/he wouldnít be able distinguish the differences. The base contains wood notes provided by the sandalwood and cedar. The oakmoss never goes away in the drydown but becomes more subtle. A prominent tobacco based scent that really connects with the old world of fragrances. Wearing this I imagine myself in either two different places: a gentlemenís club or at a barbershop.

For those who have never smelled Creed Vintage Tabarome or canít afford it, Tabac Vert would be a great affordable alternative. Nothing will beat VT but this is probably the closet resemblance that Iíve smelled of it. I could see myself wearing this as a cheaper alternative to VT.

Bois de Rhodes by Creed

This is NOT a review but an actual impression from another individual back in 2003 who had the opportunity to try the fragrance. I felt it was important to preserve some sort of context about the fragrance as there is NO information this fragrance anywhere. Please disregard the 'Neutral' rating here.

Here it is and the link:

Excerpt:
Anyone heard of Bois de Rhodes from Creed's vintage collection?

Me neither, until today. It kicks off sharp and sweet with grapefruit and mandarin. Fairly standard citrus, in other words, but very pleasant too.

These notes fade fast, even by citrus standards. What's left is a fresh, clean-smelling wood base, perhaps with a hint of mint and musk. Bois de Rhodes is a type of wood but I've never come across a fragrance with this wood as a note before. Seems a bit like cypress but with a touch of rubber or plastic. The mint also feels a little artificial.

Not unlike Selection Verte in the drydown. Also like Selection Verte, the Creed signature note which I dislike is thankfully not strongly in evidence.

Not really much to distinguish this from dozens of other citrus fragrances out there. It is pleasant enough but compared to Eau d'Hadrien, say, it is insipid and neutered. Compared to Eau d'Orange Verte, it smells slightly synthetic. Compared to Cologne Bigarade, it is one-dimensional.

Only one to buy if you are a Creed obsessive or if you want a summer citrus that smells like plenty of other citrus fragrances out there but hardly anyone else will have heard of.
17th December, 2018

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

A very rare and elusive Creed to find at the time of writing this review and I was very fortunate to discover a partial flacon of this scent. The notes breakdown for this scent is rather inconclusive as almost every notes breakdown that Iíve found had a couple notes that were different specifically at the base. I would consider this a green floral scent. The opening consisted of lemon verbena which has both a citrusy lemon and floral elements. The lemon soon fades giving way to a dry grassy note accompanied by narcissus in the heart. The narcissus florals lingered into the base accompanied by mossy notes what would likely be oakmoss. I would say the drydown of Vervine Narcisse is my favorite part of this Creed. Aside from oakmoss other notes that were mentioned in the base include ambergris, amber, sandalwood, and musk. I didnít identify these notes in particular but if these were in fact there, my nose wasnít able to pick them up. Moderate silage for the first 2 hours before staying closer to the skin. The longevity was decent, I got at least 6 hours. The best time to wear this would be during the spring however I canít find a particular occasion that I would want to wear this scent. Despite saying this I consider this more of a comfort scent, a scent that I would wear when Iím in the right mood. Overall, I consider this a very wonderful green floral scent, itís a little bit different to what Iím use to smelling of this genre but itís still a great scent nonetheless. If I can find more Verveine Narcisse at a reasonable price, I wouldnít hesitate to make a purchase. This is definitely up there with Vintage Tabarome, Angelique Encens, and Scent of Oger amongst other rare elusive Creeds that I enjoy.
02nd December, 2018

Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Despite its elusive mythical status itís a rather simplistic scent and I was fortunate to discover a partial flacon of this Creed. The opening consisted of pepper spices and bay leaves. It was fairly potent at the opening. The bay leaves provided a sharp bitter herbal accord while the pepper spices reminded me of cloves. It reminds me of the holiday season specifically being in the presence of a xmas tree. Its the smell that I get from the oils given off by fresh pine needles from the xmas tree. Holiday candles particularly the ones that have a xmas tree scent do share a similar smell as well. The spicy herbal accord lasted a while about 2 hours before giving way to a dry earthy green vetiver note. The vetiver does have some resemblance to Chanel Sycomore and Guerlain Vetiver. The vetiver drydown is one of a comfort scent in my opinion, very soothing and relaxing. Bayrhum Vetiver is the most vetiver based scent that I have smelled from Creed. Neither Original Vetiver or Vetiver 48 share the intensity of this vetiver note. Thereís not a particular occasion that this would be good for but its safe to say that its better suited for cooler weather. This would be one to consider, should an opportunity presents itself, if one enjoys vetiver based scents and/or obscure Creeds.
02nd December, 2018

Millťsime 1849 by Creed

It is similar in nature to Royal Oud with the addition of floral notes. The opening starts off strong with the presence of ylang ylang with some bergamot to help brighten the scent. The opening as well as the heart are heavily dominated by florals which makes the scent skew unisex. The jasmine will become very prominent at the heart with the ylang ylang still holding on. The base is dominated by wood notes that features cedar, sandalwood and agarwood a combination seen in Royal Oud. The drydown is a little bit sweeter provided by a minimal amount of vanilla present at the base. The florals can subdued at this point but still can be detected in the drydown. Millesime 1849 would be ideal for fall (or spring) weather as it can be overbearing in very warm weather and not strong enough for very cold weather. This is better suited for formal occasions as it does have elegance to it. While the scent has a bit of elegance, itís something that could get rather cloying after sometime. Personally, I didnít enjoy smelling this on myself and it became increasingly unpleasant as time passed. The limited edition and exclusivity initially made me think that this would be to my liking but it ended up not being the case. Iíd rather smell this on a woman than on myself. Despite this, Iím glad I had the opportunity to sample this Creed.
02nd October, 2018

2000 Fleurs by Creed

The name says it all - itís a blend of many florals which can either be a good or a bad thing for some, I will be siding on the latter for this one. For me, thereís just too much going on in this scent which makes it difficult if not impossible to focus on any one particular note since theyíre all meshed together well. In addition the overall smell can get cloying after sometime, my nose became desensitized from smelling this. Florals can be smelled immediately upon application. Magnolia, iris, and rose are florals I can detect somewhat from the opening. Other floral notes include jasmine, violet, lilac, lily, and narcissus but these I wasnít able to identify individually. In addition I can pick up on a fruity citrus note, one that I found in the opening of Millesime Imperial. The black currant is also present but is muted from all of the florals that are present. The florals begin to settle down in the heart some. I picked on an herbal green tea providing some green in the scent. The florals carried into the base but not as potent as it once was previously. The drydown has a subtle amount of sandalwood with some musk along with a touch of Creedís classic ambergris note. Spring time is probably the ideal time, and only time to wear this scent. Longevity is reasonably good with good silage for the first 2 hours. Overall, thereís too much going on in this scent. The many florals present in the scent makes this an awful and disorganized composition in my opinion. I donít recommend this scent to anyone especially women, I think thereís much better offerings from Creed. One of my least favorites from Creed.
04th September, 2018

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Cuir de Russie begins with a tart bergamot/citrus opening with neroli florals giving a clean and refreshing feel. Gradually the opening fades away while the smokey tar-like birch accord begins to emerge. The prominent ĎRussianí leather becomes intwined with the lingering birch accord in the base with the presence of a subtle sandalwood note as well as Creedís classic ambergris. While the leather is dark and smokey, itís both restrained and refined. The scent has a very dated feel to it. Iím reminded of old furniture that has some kind of leather covering on it such as chairs. Other examples would include dated accessories such as old leather wallets and leather wrist bands of old watches. Cuir de Russie takes on a different approach to leather compared to its counterparts Royal English Leather and Royal Delight. Royal English Leather consists of a simplistic brighter and buttery leather accord while Royal Delight consists of mixture sweet powdery florals to leather. Another major difference with Cuir de Russie is that it has a significantly shorter longevity of about 4 hours with the first two hours having moderate silage before becoming a skin scent. I canít find a particular occasion that I would want to wear this scent. Cuir de Russie would more likely appeal to Individuals who have an affinity towards leather scents. Overall this isnít a bad scent but itís not one Iíd be motivated to wear.
28th August, 2018

Bois du Portugal by Creed

A very elegant scent that gets compared with Chanel Pour Monsieur quite frequently. The opening reveals a crisp fresh blast of bergamot that brightens the tone of the scent early on. The bergamot eventually settles down allowing the lavender to creep into the forefront but never to the point where its overbearing and in particular soapy. The bergamot still holds on while in the background the lavender florals give off a nice clean and soft aroma. After approximately two hours the sandalwood will start to become noticeable eventually becoming the dominating note in the drydown. The lavender florals can still be detected but at this point its very subdued. Notes of cedar and vetiver can be detected as well although its blended in the drydown. The drydown also contains the classic ambergris that adds support to the other notes present.

Longevity and silage are excellent and probably one of the best from Creed easily lasting the entire day. Despite being in the Millesime line, Bois du Portugal is a classic old school scent. It fits in the same category as many of the Private Collection and EDT scents. It will more likely appeal to individuals who have an appreciation for classic scents from Creed as well other houses. As mentioned previously, Bois du Portugal has been compared to Chanel Pour Monsieur. Formal and business occasions will certainly be ideal when wearing this fragrance. Cooler weather will also be ideal when considering when to wear this. Overall, this is one of the better scents from the Millesime alongside Green Irish Tweed. It will be a shame should Bois du Portugal get discontinued like Green Valley and Royal Delight have been previously. If this does happen, it would certainly receive a commanding premium.
05th July, 2018

Royal Delight by Creed

This one tries to follow a similar concept as EDT Chanel Cuir de Russie: Itís a gentle delicate scent that intertwines sweetness, florals, and of course leather. The opening consisted of a fusion of sweetness and florals with citrus and jasmine notes. In time the scent becomes more floral with violet emerging more towards the front. In the dry down a tamed subdued leather note can be felt that lies on top of Creedís familiar ambergris as well as some wood notes likely sandalwood. The sweetened opening was a little bit stronger than I wouldíve wanted for this scent. Iíd consider the sweetness a bit saturated and excessive at times which takes away from the scent IMO. Some have drawn similarities to both Joop Homme and Original Santal which I could understand. As for the leather it is very subtle, restrained by other surrounding notes which to me is disappointing. Royal English Leather would be a good choice if one is looking for a classic leather scent. Royal Delight relies heavily on the support of other notes which drowns out the leather considerably. The overall scent shows elegance; the combination of sweetness and florals to leather would definitely make it more unisex. The longevity and silage are reasonably good with Royal Delight which ended up lasting the entire day ~8-10 hours. That being said itís best for cooler weather. Unimpressed and underwhelmed would be my opinion of this scent.
30th June, 2018

Scent of Oger by Creed

Creed Scent of Oger (2007)

This was a limited edition release that was available at the Oger menswear stores in Europe back in 2007. There was very little information regarding the release of this fragrance as Creed didnít make any official announcement at the time. I couldnít find any actual notes listings for this one. One note that has been mentioned consistently was the potpourri which I detected immediately in the opening. Along with potpourri, I also got bergamot, citrus, spice, and some mint notes. Elegant and refined are the best way to describe this scent. Definitely a very bright, crisp, and aromatic scent especially in the opening. Very quickly this reminded me of Selection Verte but better! Both share an herbal accord that is prominent in the heart and drydown. Also present in the drydown are wood notes, some pepper, and a small amount of the typical Creed ambergris. Although this isnít a potent scent, it lasts quite a while. Iím getting at least a good 6 hours from this scent. The first two hours it remained quite noticeable before becoming more subdued thereafter. I find this an easy to wear scent best suited for both casual and formal attires. It works excellent in warm temperature environments. A very pleasing scent overall and is certainly one of the better classic Creeds out there.
25th June, 2018

Tuberose Flash by Tauerville

The main accords listed from Fragrantica are: tuberose, white floral, balsamic, amber, animalic. The notes identified are: orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, labdanum, benzoin and patchouli. Immediately upon application, tuberose was in the forefront of the fragrance. The tuberose wasnít overbearing nor was it weak, it was just right. The tuberose is accompanied by the orange blossom note which gives off a slight fruity accord. The orange blossom holds the tuberose back by providing some balance preventing the scent from getting too floral. On me, I get a slight citrusy/peachy accord from the note. The scent remains bright in the opening. After an hour, the scent begins to tone down, specifically the tuberose, allowing for the jasmine to appear in the scent. Benzoin and labdanum provide a sweet amber accord that becomes noticeable about two hours into the scent. At this point, the jammy feel of the tuberose becomes increasingly noticeable in the scent which is one of the enjoyable parts of this fragrance. The amber accord helps sweeten the now subdued tuberose with the orange blossom and jasmine notes still holding on providing some fruity and floral accords to the scent. At the base, thereís a subtle patchouli note that emerges but not a substantial amount enough to derail the overall scent. The amber is also present at the base combined with a very faint tuberose floral accord still holding on. The scent maintains balance from start to finish, it avoids skewing in any particular direction: dark, dirty, floral, sweet.

Longevity and silage were great for the scent. I was able to get good silage for the first 2 hours before it started to stay closer to the skin. The scent remained noticeable for a good 4 hours before it became a skin scent. I got at least 8 hours of longevity when wearing this scent. I think Tuberose Flash works well in conditions in which the weather isnít super hot or super cold. Spring would probably be the best time to wear the scent. In my opinion the scent is fairly versatile. I believe it could fit in either a day or evening setting. The tuberose in this scent isnít overpowering as compared to tuberose in other scents. The tuberose is checked by the other notes that keep it restrained. Another thing to note is that many tuberose scents tend to skew on the feminine side. In the case of Tuberose Flash, I believe it can be worn by both men and women. Overall, a wonderful take on a tuberose scent. This is a must try for those who either enjoy the note of tuberose or are looking for a tuberose that isnít overpowering and easier to wear.
18th January, 2017

Earthtones #5 : Tropical Lagoon by Neil Morris Fragrances

Summer in a bottle is one way to describe Tropical Lagoon. I would classify this as a tropical fruity scent that is supported by floral and oriental notes. At the time of writing this review, there was no official profile page on either BN or Fragrantica. The official notes were listed in another forum which IĎll list in this review. The notes breakdown include the following: Top - yuzu and mango; Heart - black coconut and freesia; Base - solar musk, myrtle, sea spray, and Madagascan vanilla.
The opening revealed a strong fruity accord of mango and yuzu. The mango is the more dominant note of the two at the opening while the yuzu provides a bit of a citrusy feel to the scent. The bright and refreshing opening makes the scent so compelling to place ones own nose to their wrist time and time again to get whiffs of this glorious aroma. The bright fruity opening settles down at the heart allowing for the floral note of freesia to make its appearance. Freesia together with the note of coconut adds to the sweetness and creaminess of the scent respectively. A gentle amount of vanilla becomes noticeable at the base accompanied by a subtle presence of musk. Iím not to sure what both solar musk and sea spray smell like as these are listed notes at the base. The drydown has a bit of a sweet tone that almost reminded me of sugar cane. In addition to the sweetness at the drydown, I did get some marine/oceanic notes something that I would smell outside if I was walking along a tropical beach. Iím not entirely sure but perhaps thatís what the listed sea spray note is suppose to smell like. As for a summer fragrance both the longevity and silage were great. I got a good 8 hours in longevity while I had good silage for the first 3-4 hours before it stayed closer to the skin for the remainder of the scent. A very beautiful scent to wear during the warmer months of the year. As for me this was an immediate FB purchase shortly after sampling for the first time, as this scent was absolutely perfect! If one appreciates tropical fragrances in general then this is one to definitely try. The tropical aromas in ET #5 Tropical Lagoon will most certainly put an individual in a good mood.
04th January, 2017

Sable & Soleil by Phaedon

The Phaedon website lists this as an aromatic fragrance. Notes listed include: lemon, coconut milk, geranium, jasmine, sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla, and white musk. At the opening there was a presence of fresh lemons and milky coconut. In addition to the notes there was a little bit of salt that I detected which gave a brief sea/oceanic vibe to it which made the scent a little bit more intriguing. The citrusy lemon was very likely a combination of the lemon blossom and geranium notes. The coconut wasnít too sweet nor dominating but definitely detectable. Fifteen minutes or so the scent proceeded into the middle notes while losing most of itís initial sea/oceanic vibe. At the middle while the coconut remained present, the lemons faded into the background while floral notes of jasmine began to appear. About an hour, the scent proceeded to the base where vanilla and tonka bean notes sweeten up the fragrance. Musk and some woods became present shortly after giving a little depth to the scent beneath the sweetness and enhancing the subtle drydown. The drydown has been compared to as smelling very much like suntan lotion which I could definitely see. Longevity and silage were below average for this scent. I got roughly 4-5 hours in longevity with moderate silage for the first hour before the scent stayed close to the skin. Clearly a scent for the warmer weather particularly during the summer. I would consider this appropriate for most casual settings as this scent wonít be strong enough to offend others. As for my thoughts, I consider this a linear scent that shows very little depth during its duration. While thereís nothing bad with the scent, I wasnít impressed with this fragrance at all. The only time I enjoyed this scent to an extent was during the first hour so, after that it becomes a bit boring for me. In my opinion, thereís plenty of other scents to choose to from if I wanted something that emphasized summer.
04th January, 2017

Centrepiece by 4160 Tuesdays

At the time of making a sample order, Centrepiece was top rated of all of the 4160 Tuesdays fragrances available on Luckyscent. Centrepiece was classified as a sweet fragrance with both oriental and gourmand notes and therefore I decided to order a sample of this scent. The notes breakdown consist of: honey, green tea, frangipani, musk, cedar, and vanilla. On Fragrantica the notes breakdown include additional notes of sorbet and chocolate but I wasnít able to detect either of these notes. Almost immediately after application, the opening revealed a green tea note that came off as bright and herbally. The note is paired with a sweet honey note and for a short time co-dominates the fragrance. Eventually the green tea note becomes a bit darker and more herbally fading behind the honey note now having a subtle role to the fragrance. The honey note continued to thrive strong while the scentís sweetness intensified thanks to the frangipani note which makes its present known here. For me, the frangipani note presented itself as sweet, florally, and perhaps with a bit of spice. Together the frangipani and honey notes blended together giving off an almond extract smell. A wisp of woodsy notes can be detected underneath the sweetness which comes in and out of the scent occasionally. Finally after 3 hours, the honey and frangipani notes weakens thus giving way to a powdery vanilla note that is assisted by musk. Together the notes gave off a sweet animalistic musky feel to the scent at the drydown. The dry down here is quite similar to that of Frederic Malleís Musc Ravaguer but a bit cleaner.

Longevity and silage are fairly good here as I got 8 hours in longevity with 4 hours of good silage before the scent stayed closer to the skin. The ideal time to wear this would be during the cooler months as the oriental and gourmand notes could make this cloying in warmer temperatures. Overall, this fragrance was well constructed and thereís definitely a bit of depth here with a few transformations having occurred during its duration. The notes werenít easy to distinguish and it took both some concentration and patience to identify these notes. For me, Centrepiece reminded me of a few fragrances that I already own such as Coromandel and Musc Ravaguer but not nearly as enjoyable as compared to these . While this was a decent smelling scent, I wasnít blown away by the scent. Itís not one of my favorite gourmand scents nor what I had in mind for something in this genre but itís not a profound scent either. Simply put, my nose doesnít happen to be in favor of this fragrance. Setting aside my thoughts of the fragrance, I think this one is worth sampling especially if one happens to enjoy sweet fragrances with gourmand and oriental notes.
04th September, 2016

Shalimar Ode ŗ la Vanille : Sur la Route de Madagascar by Guerlain

The Madagascar version of Ode a la Vanille has been on my try list for a very long time and I was fortunate enough to track down a sample of it. Iíll be making comparisons to the original Shalimar here(not the original 2010 Ode a la Vanille). Madagascar is classified as a woody oriental fragrances. At the opening I got the familiar bergamot opening although not quite as intense and sharp as the original. Noticeably, there was a bit of citrus and lemon notes that contrasted the bergamot which softened up the opening. The opening toned down rather quickly allowing for the rich iris florals in the middle of the scent to present itself along with the vanilla note that is already starting to peak out. Soon after at the base, the vanilla began to intensify taking center stage and quickly dominating the other notes that become present in the scent. Aside from the vanilla, other prominent notes that were noticeable in this scent as well as in the original included leather, balsamic notes from the opoponax, smokey incense, and wood notes. Even though the notes were mentioned in both, many of these notes werenít nearly pronounced in Madagascar which had an effect on the drydown. The drydown maintained a strong presence of vanilla with both a smokey and woody tinge to it. Itís also worth mentioning that the drydown wasnít as animalistic as compared to the original. Longevity and silage were decent with 8 hours in longevity while silage was moderate for the first few hours before staying closer to the skin. Cooler weather conditions would be ideal when wearing this as it could be a little overbearing in warmer weather. As for my thoughts on it, I enjoyed this one a lot. I think Ode a la Vanille Madagascar is much more approachable than the original especially if one struggles with the opening and its slight animalistic feel at the base. It has both a comforting and sensual feel to it that just doesnít disappoint. Sadly this has been discontinued for quite some time and its very difficult to find now. Due to its scarcity, I donít expect to acquire a bottle of this fragrance but if an opportunity presents itself then I may reconsider.
04th September, 2016

Silk, Lace & Chocolate by 4160 Tuesdays

From what was available of 4160 Tuesdays on Luckyscent this was one that stood out to me and one that I wanted to try. I would consider Silk, Lace & Chocolate as a fruity gourmand fragrance. The fragrance contains a very simplistic notes breakdown which consisted of: bergamot, chocolate, and strawberry. At the opening, there was a sharp crisp bergamot note along with a supporting strawberry note that temporarily made the scent both citrusy and fruity. The bergamot quickly dies down while the strawberry and chocolate notes began to dominate the scent interchangeably. The strawberry note present here has an artificial feel to it, it kind of reminded me of strawberry extract for baking/cooking. In addition, the note has both a fruity and sweet feel to it. As for the chocolate, the note was a bit more natural as oppose to the strawberry. The chocolate was also sweet, and had an edible feel to it. At this stage the fragrance reminded me of chocolate candies with strawberry filling which was likely the impression that the scent was meant to give. The scent gave me the impression that it was both delicious and edible. Ironically, the description of the scent on Luckyscent mentioned that this was a fragrance for Valentines in 2015, probably the perfect pairing to a box full of chocolate candies. Had the strawberry note been of the natural kind, Iíd be inclined to saying this may be comparable to a chocolate covered strawberry although some may see it this way. After several hours the scent dies down to a subtly sweet and slightly powdery scent with only hints of strawberry and chocolate barely present. At this stage, the scent has all but lost the delicious edible components and is nothing more than a skin scent.

The best times to wear this would likely be either during the cooler months or during evenings for warmer months as warm weather could make this scent a bit cloying. Longevity and silage were only average here. I got roughly 4-5 hours in longevity with decent silage for the first 2-3 hours before it started to stay closer to the skin. Overall, Silk, Lace & Chocolate was a linear scent that didnít change too much with the exception at the opening. Personally I wouldíve liked more complexity to the scent with a few additional notes to make things more interesting but itís still somewhat decent for what it is. While I consider this a decent enough scent, this scent lacks any kind of wow factor for me. While my experience with this fragrance was alright, Iím less inclined to wanting to wear this in the future. In my opinion, the combination of the sweet and delicious notes of strawberry and chocolate has a bit of a feminine touch thus more likely to appeal to women then men. Personally, Iíd much rather smell this on a woman than on myself. Anyone who wishes to experience a fragrance that combines strawberry and chocolate in an edible way this is one to look at.
27th August, 2016

Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays

Doe in the Snow is an aromatic fruity fragrances that is primarily based around notes of citruses, florals, and chypre. The opening revealed a blast of sharp citrus notes contributed by both the yuzu and citron that was paired with a grapefruit note. Also in the opening was the presence of aldehyde which was luckily not overpowering. The citruses combined with aldehyde created a very crisp and refreshing feeling. As the scent moved towards the heart, the floral notes began to appear which consisted of jasmine and rose. Of the two florals notes the jasmine is the dominant of the two, however both are gentle and subtle just strong enough to be detected by the nose. At the base, the scent becomes more earthy and mossy contributed by the oakmoss. The kind of oakmoss present here was neither dirty or dark but instead elegant and refined. The oakmoss was quite pronounced but it wasnít overbearing. There was a slight herbal touch likely contributed by the green tea note that accompanied the oakmoss. A subtle touch of woodsy notes, likely from the cedar and oak, rounded off the base enhancing the outdoors and earthy effect of the drydown. In my opinion, the best part of Doe in the Snow was at the drydown. It has a very alluring smell with notes that constructed the scent really well. The name of the fragrance can be misleading as anyone could assume that this is a colder weather scent meant specifically for the winter. I believe this scent could work well in both cooler and warmer weather conditions and thus a fragrance that could be worn year round. Doe in the Snow comes off as a very casual scent that seems to fit many occasions. Longevity and silage were good here. I got around 8-10 hours in longevity with 3-4 hours of decent silage before the scent stayed closer to the skin. For anyone who enjoys chypre scents, oakmoss in particular, this is one worth giving a smell.
20th August, 2016

Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford

I would describe Orchid Soleil as a oriental floral scent. The opening introduced both spicy and herbal elements which consist of the pink pepper and cypress notes respectively. The sharp opening quickly mellows out as the prominent note of the scent, the tuberose, comes to the forefront. The tuberose is accompanied by vanilla which sweetens the scent considerably. As the scent progressed the tuberose weakens slightly allowing for the lily and orchid notes to be slightly noticeable. Finally, the sweat/creamy floral composition is met with a chestnut note that gives a partially gourmand feel to the scent during the drydown. I got strong longevity and silage from Orchid Soleil. On me the scent remained strong the first 3-4 hours before staying closer to the skin which approximately lasted another 4-6 hours. The best time to wear this scent I believe would be in the spring or fall as this scent wouldnít work be great in either very warm or very cold weather conditions. Nothing to impressive with Orchid Soleil. Itís a decent scent from Tom Ford but itís not something that jumps out at me to want to wear nor purchase

Afire by Neil Morris Fragrances

I consider Affire to be mainly a citrusy scent with gourmand, oriental, and incense notes supporting it. The opening begins with a not so fresh sparkly citrusy note which in a way reminds me of a orange soft drink. After an hour the citrusy notes mellow out and notes of caramel, cinnamon, and vanilla begin to come through changing the scent into a fruity, spicy, and gourmand scent. After three hours the incense note becomes noticeable. I did not detect a woodsy note in this scent. Aside from the first hour the scent remains quite linear throughout its duration. Longevity is fairly good lasting a good 10 hours while the silage remains decent for the first 2-3 hours before becoming a skin scent for the remaining time. The best time to wear this would be in fall and winter.
Affire does seem rather appropriate for the holiday settings IMO particularly around Thanksgiving (here in the US) and Christmas. Iím reminded of huge family Xmas gatherings that involve the passing of countless dishes at a large dinner in the dining room. This is immediately followed by gift exchanges in the living room with a roaring fire in the fireplace and a Xmas tree that projects aromas as well as the burning of spicy oriental candles.
Finally, I was disappointed with the scent overall. I was expecting a lot more from this fragrance after spending time reading up on Afire prior to wearing it. Initially I was pleased based on how the scent reacted to my skin during the opening. The opening was bright and refreshing and got my attention but that soon came to pass. As I said earlier, the scent becomes quite linear and little development was noticed after the first hour. I had trouble smelling it after the first several hours if I didnít put my nose close to my wrist. Although I wonít say this is a terrible scent, this is clearly something that isnít for me.

Scrumptious by Neil Morris Fragrances

Neilís decision over the name of this fragrance was definitely spot on! I will say upfront that this was a very addicting scent for me, I simply couldnít stop wanting to get whiffs of my wrist every few minutes. I consider Scrumptious to be a bright sweet, fruity, oriental fragrance with very subtle floral notes. The opening revealed bright fruity notes of mandarin orange and pear with a little bit of bergamot. The fruity accord is indeed sweet but I donít think itís overly sweet to the point that itís nauseating. Thereís a bit of vanilla present as well laying beneath the fruity accord but it wonít make a dominating appearance until much later. In the heart, the fruity opening calms down a bit while a refreshing green tea note becomes apparent adding a little green to the scent. The green tea note was blended in very well which surprisingly didnít disrupt the scent. At this point I did pick up traces of floral notes which were likely the jasmine and the rose but they were so muffled into the scent that they could easily be overlooked. The oriental notes of vanilla, which was detected earlier, becomes a bit stronger which is now accompanied by white amber at the base. The best time to wear this would be during the spring and summer months as the scent would benefit from warm weather during either the day or a warm evening. A very friendly comforting scent that I think could easily appeal to people. Thereís something special about Scrumptious that simply puts a smile on my face every time I smell it. I think itís safe to say that this is a winner and a FB purchase could happen. Anyone who wishes to experience a happy comforting scent in the fruity oriental genre, take a look at Scrumptious!

1804 George Sand by Histoires de Parfums

Histoire de Parfums - 1804 (2001)

1804 ĎGeorge Sandí was my introduction to the Histoire de Parfums house. I would describe this scent as: fruity, spicy, sweet, and oriental. The opening introduced a strong presence of pineapple mixed with peach and hints of gardenia florals. The combination of pineapple and peach brings out a pleasing refreshing sensation, nice but simplistic. The opening gradually tones down while the florals and musk become a bit more noticeable. Distinguishing the florals was difficult, I was only able to identify the jasmine and gardenia. The rose and lily of the valley are too muffled to detect. Finally the scent enters the drydown which mainly consisted of vanilla, musk, patchouli, and sandalwood. The drydown had a bit of an unpleasantness to it. The best way to describe it was that it smelled similar to plastic. After wearing it a few times the plastic smell became more noticeable early on as soon as the opening began to fade into the background. I have detected this plastic drydown before in other scents that had vanilla present in it such as in Montale Vanille Absolu. Aside from the plastic smell, the drydown was a bit powdery and mildly sweet likely from the benzoin and vanilla notes. The patchouli and lingering musk notes created a backbone structure for the the scent. Clearly this is a scent for the warmer months, the scent reminds me of warm summer days outside in broad daylight. While I found this scent to be nice in the beginning, I wasnít to fond of the drydown. I wore this on several occasions and each time I wore it, I became less impressed by it. This scent just wasnít a good fit for my nose and thatís ok. Iím glad that I had the opportunity to sample this scent.
25th July, 2016 (last edited: 24th July, 2016)

Citrus Bigarrade by Creed

Like Guerlain and Chanel, this would be considered Creedís version of ĎEau de Cologneí . The opening reveals a very natural citrus note that is both sharp and refreshing. The citrus is supported by an underlying note of neroli that gives the scent the slightest touch of florals. The citrus note quickly fades away allowing for the usual Creed drydown of ambergris to settle in for the remainder of the scent. The scent is very short lived therefore warm climates would certainly be necessary to get the most out of the scent. What makes Citrus Bigarrade stand out from other fragrances of this citrus genre is the opening: the citrus is so natural and pure. A very simplistic classical citrus based scent, short but sweet.
15th July, 2016

Moonlight in Heaven by By Kilian

This scent comes off as tropical, sweet, fruity with a hint of florals. To my nose much of the fruit and sweet notes emerges out all at once. From the top I detected notes of grapefruit accompanied with pink peppers which gives off a very invigorating refreshing feel. At the same time thereís the presence of mango, which lingers throughout the entirety of the scent, giving the scent a strong tropical fruity accord. Finally thereís the presence of coconut and tonka bean which gives the scent a layer of sweetness that lays underneath the fruit notes giving it some structural support. After about half an hour to an hour the strong fruity accord begins to tone down. The grapefruit and pink peppers become less dominant allowing for the mango and coconut to be more detectable. Finally after several hours a green fresh vetiver note becomes apparent accompanying what is left of the once dominant mango and coconut notes. Overall, I think Moonlight in Heaven encapsulates the Ďtropicalí vibe rather well. Itís a wonderful scent to wear during the summer whether itís during the day or a warm evening.
10th July, 2016

The One for Men Eau de Parfum by Dolce & Gabbana

I previously owned The One EDT which I ended up giving away sometime ago. The main reason was because of the weak silage and average longevity that it gave.

As for the EDP, the overall scent is more or less identical to the EDT but toned up a notch. At the opening my nose detected a spicy and fruity accord which consisted of coriander, and grape fruit. Gradually the top notes toned down and the heart: cardamon, ginger, and orange blossom became more detectable. After sometime the dry down became apparent which consisted mainly of amber and tobacco. The EDP didnít appear to have much improvement in regards to longevity but the silage is definitely better. This is suited best in cooler weather settings or in the evenings for a night out.

As for the overall scent, while this isnít my favorite go to scent for the evenings it certainly is better than many of the scents that are currently available. However, I canít imagine myself grabbing this scent often over scents that I enjoy more such as Vintage Dior Homme Intense, Vintage La Nuit de LíHomme, or Pure Malt to name a few. As for someone who is looking for a good evening scent to purchase, this is definitely one worth looking into, especially if one doesnít own the EDT version of The One.
16th May, 2016

Vťga by Guerlain

I declined to review this iconic scent immediately after trying it out a couple of times and it was probably a good thing. It took some time for me to eventually appreciate the scent although I canít say that Vega is for me. Iím no fan of the aldehyde note at all and my past encounters with the note were never positive. The extra time sampling Vega prevented me from jumping to conclusions that the scent was a disappointment and at allowed me to appreciate it for what it is. Applying this to my arm, I was immediately appalled by the intensity of the aldehyde note in the opening. Aside from the dense soapy aldehyde note, the opening was rather bright with a slight floral feel, probably contributed from the additional notes bergamot and orange blossom that were also present. Luckily the aldehyde note that dominated the scent at the opening was short lived and eventually began to tone down. As the aldehyde note weakened, a strong floral presence begins to develop which consists of ylang-ylang, jasmine, rose, carnation, and iris. In time the florals are joined by notes of sandalwood, vanilla, and amber which create a smooth floral slightly sweet oriental dry down. For me the drydown has a little bit of a resemblance to Samsara, some other reviewers have found this similarity as well. Longevity and silage were average with this scent. Depending on how much was applied, longevity ranged between 4-6 hours while silage was decent for the first hour before staying closer to the skin. In terms of occasions of wearing Vega, I think it is versatile enough so that it can be worn in different settings (daytime, nighttime, casual, dressed up) however I donít see any ideal occasion it would work best in. Likely many of the other classic Guerlain scents, Vega has a very dated feel. Vega is elegant, classy and was constructed really well. Overall Vega is a wonderful scent, unfortunately it didnít appeal to be me as much as I wouldíve liked.
29th February, 2016