Reviews by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Flos Mortis by Rogue Perfumery

A dark take on tuberose unlike Champs Lunaires. The opening consisted of a mothball accord which I determined was the Indole note. A cool mint would best describe it something that is similarly present vapor rub. One mentioned it as smelling like menthol. At this time the tuberose florals began to intensify along with the jasmine grandiflorum. I have to say that the florals were a bit stuffy at times, its carried a strong punch. Letting my nose adjust, I was able to pick up some of the underlying fruit notes which was probably the contributions from both the osmmanthus and red currant. That likely held the florals in check. As time progressed the monstrous florals settled down to what was a dark leather base. Very strong longevity and silage. Overall it was a very challenging scent one that wasnít exactly easy to wear. Iíd say Flos Mortis caters to a very specific group of individuals with myself not being one of them.
13th June, 2019

40 Rogue by Rogue Perfumery

This is a revival to Jean Sesprezís 40 Love Pour Homme. Clearly it has a very dated feel to it. The fragrance opened with a citrusy lemon accord that came off clean and refreshing, Iíd say skewed in the soapy realm. Thereís two fragrances that came to mind: Orange Spice and Cypres Musc. The citrus accord in Orange Spice does seem similar to the one in 40 Love. The soapy accord in Cypres Musc does seem similar to the one in 40 Love. Ironically they were all fragrances from the same era, 40 Love (1947/1951), Orange Spice 1950, and Cypres Musc 1948. Back to the scent, as the opening notes wore off a substantial amount of musk could be detected with an animalic note. At the same instance floral notes began to creep in. What kind of florals they were I wasnít quite sure. I wanted to say there was a presence of some sort of herbal note present in the scent. Honeysuckle came to mind of all things. There was a tinge of green and powdery feel at the heart of the scent. Finally at the base Iím left with the lingering musk and animalic accord in addition to what I believed were a dusty amber note and smidge of oakmoss. There was decent longevity with moderate silage early on before staying close to the skin for the remainder of the duration. A very satisfying and comforting scent that was resurrected exceptionally well.
13th June, 2019

…meraude by Coty

Halfway between L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar. I get the powdery iris, heliotrope florals from L'Heure Bleue and the powdery vanillin from Shalimar.

If I had samples of both scents from the 1950s or somewhere around that era, I would've done a layering experiment and then do a side to side comparison between L'Heure and Shalimar on one wrist and Emeraude on the other.

It's very beautiful and elegant. One would definitely enjoy if s/he enjoys the powdery iris/vanilla accord. Two examples comes to mind: the silver collar formulation of Dior Homme Intense and Carner Barcelona D600. D600 had the inclusion of the cardamon note that over powered the vanilla/iris accord which I ended up not enjoying at all. Dior Homme Intense is my preference for the vanilla/iris accord. Not sure if I would reach for Emeraude personally since I already have Dior Homme Intense as my vanilla/iris choice. It's definitely a nice comfort scent.
17th March, 2019

Nombre Noir by Shiseido

A very beautiful dark elegant rose scent. Anyone smelled La Fille de Berlin? The rose note I feel is quite similar for both however there's a lot more complexity going on with Nombre Noir. For one there's a definite aldehyde note that fortunately works really well with the rose. Then there's the wood and chypre notes at the base which I enjoy in a rose based scent. Although a dark rose, it's very airy as well. I think this is a rose that would definitely appeal for someone like me. Yes it's very rare and its going for a high premium on eBay. L'Arte di Gucci also offers both the same quality and complexity that fulfills my expectations in a rose scent but it's almost a dead tie between the two. Both of these I enjoy more than YSL Rive Gauche and Coty la rose Jacqueminot that I've sampled from PL's retro Rose Sample Pass.
17th March, 2019

FougŤre L'Aube by Rogue Perfumery

The scent opened with a fresh bergamot with a green galbanum note. The opening was crisp and refreshing going along the lines of Creed Green Irish Tweed. Not exactly the same scent but does have some similarity. Lavender florals emerged in the heart that blends with the existing galbanum. I do pick up on a violet leaf note that is present in GIT. I definitely pick up a dominating fougere here. A few hours in the florals started to taper off while the oakmoss and wood notes started to creep in. Some of the magic from the fougere effect is lost but is replaced with the mossy accord that we're used to seeing that is present in some of the other rogue scents. Decent longevity and silage. I must say It carries a timeless feel similar to GIT that it could fit in with the modern times. Overall I would consider this a gentlemen like scent, formal, classy, and clean. If one enjoys the smell of Creed Green Irish Tweed, one will likely enjoy Fougere L'Aube. Great work Manny!
14th March, 2019

Cuir de Russie (new) by Godet

This is by far the best one of the three (Chypre and Fleur Bleue) that I've sampled from Godet. Similar to Chypre and Fleur Bleue, Cuir de Russie is Godet's take on russian leather that seems to mirror Chanel's although it was released in 1924. Godet's version I got bergamot, soft iris and violet florals combined with birch, styrax, and of course leather. A tart bergamot note can be detected immediately at the opening before being subdued by the birch and powdery florals. The base was dominated by the leather with the styrax that added some resinous feel. Compared to Chanel's this one lacked the animalistic fecal note that added a strong punch to the scent. This one has good longevity and silage. I do think the animalistic accord is needed for this scent, without it does lose some of its magic. A nice take on leather although Chanel's Cuir de Russie is much better. As for Godet and of the three that I've tried so far, I do find this house inferior to Chanel and Guerlain along with Coty. A good experience overall but not memorable.
18th February, 2019

Odeon / Petite Fleur Bleue by Godet

I believe this is Godet's take on a blue floral after Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue 1912 release. Similar to their fragrance Chypre, Godet was clearly trying to compete against Guerlain, Chanel, and Coty. The opening consisted of heliotrope and fresh florals with a dab of sparkling bergamot. Interesting on Fragrantica heliotrope is not a note that is featured in Flueur Bleue but instead rose and freesia. I do pick up the freesia but not the rose. The florals hold one for a time before notes of incense and chypre emerged at the base. Fleur Bleue isn't as smooth as L'Heure Bleue, it's a bit jagged and obnoxious. Compared to Chypre, this one has much better longevity and stronger silage. As with Chypre, Fleur Bleue has a quality that is inferior to L'Heure Bleue. Not a memorable scent for me unfortunately but I'm glad to have tried it.
18th February, 2019

Chypre (original) by Godet

I had high hopes about Godet Chypre thinking it was going to be something magical given that the sample is nearly a 100 years old!

The scent started out with a bright sparkling bergamot note that held on for a few minutes. A thin whisper of iris florals arrived only soon to be met by vanilla and leather. It reminded me a little bit of both Creed Royal Delight and Chanel Cuir de Russie: sweet, floral, leather. At the base I'm left with a mossy ambery accord. It remained green and dry but had a slight oriental twist to it. The base reminded me of the second formulation of Rogue Perfumery Chypre-Siam and Coty Chypre if an ambery vanilln accord were added. Barely visible at that point. My biggest disappointment was that the ambery mossy accord of the scent was a skin scent. It was there but I had to stick my nose against my arm to smell it. Very etheral, transparent, and short lived. Despite the color, age, and most of all appearance of the bottle and juice, it's not all what it cracked up to be. Nothing amazing or breath taking here. It did hold its ground compared to other chypre scents in its day: Guerlain Mitsouko, Coty Chypre but I would consider it inferior to both of them. At best Godet Chypre is an alternative take on chypre compared to Coty Chypre and Guerlain Mitsouko and I would gladly reach for the the latter two any day. If I had to guess Godet was a house competitor to Guerlain and Coty back in the early 20th century. Despite my disappointment, it was worth sampling if one enjoyed vintage chypre scents.
13th February, 2019

Champs Lunaires by Rogue Perfumery

Like Derviche, this too deviates from the chypre and green notes.

The opening begins with a sharp pomelo note that provides a brief citrus/grapefruit like smell. Quickly it fades giving way to the tuberose florals. The tuberose is quite elegant and lushes. I wasnít able to pick out the white rose petals blended in with the tuberose but itís slightly different to the tuberose that Iíve smelled in the past. This reminded me of Serge Lutens Tuberose Criminelle . Eventually the tuberose florals tones down giving way to a creamy musky dry down with a backbone of woods aided by the sandalwood.

The longevity and silage are good, not overbearing which is a good thing. Elegant and sensual through the entirety of the scent. Wearing this, I imagine myself in a field of tuberose on a bright clear spring day. Tuberose isnít one of my favorite florals but I do enjoy the composition of this scent. Anyone who enjoys tuberose will surely like this scent.

I hope Manny could continue exploring other genres as well as these scents Derviche and Champs Lunaires are fantastic.

Derviche by Rogue Perfumery

This is the first scent that deviates from the previous 4 (scents in Rouge Perfumery) in which it doesnít focus on chyrpe or green notes.

The opening begins with some sparkling bergamot before it recedes giving way to some tobacco and of course the labdanum. The amber accord is not as dark and resinous as I was expecting it to be but itís not super sweet either. Floral jasmine is met with a sugary amber vaniila accord at the base. In addition, I was able to detect woods and musk in the base. The drydown makes me think of Hermessence Ambre Narguile but itís not exactly the same. A very nice scent overall.

Longevity and silage were good although not as bold as Mousse Illuminee or Le Canotier. I think this is perfect for the individuals who enjoy both amber and jasmine. The jasmine does have a dated feel and definitely it worked in harmony to complement the amber/vanilla accord at the base.

Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery

I would definitely categorize Mousse Illuminee as a power house scent and the most potent of the entire collection.

In the opening I detected strong whiffs of fresh pine leaves. Cypress and laurel leaves began to emerge adding to the scentís bitterness giving Mousse Illuminee a resinous feel which lingered for a long time. Tree moss, wood notes, and musk were present at the base.

As some have already suggested, I too could imagine myself in a forest. The fresh odors of tree sap, the smell pine trees, and aroma of moss in the surrounding all in a cold damp environment.

While it was a good scent overall, this is one that I would have a difficult time wearing.

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

A very dated scent. First thing that came to mind was Coty Chypre. It also made me think about Guerlain Mitsouko although Iíve never smelled an earlier formulation of it.

The opening consisted of a zesty fresh basil note with a little bit of lime that made the scent initially aromatic. The heart introduced a subtle amount of florals, I was able to detect the jasmine here. Finally, the oakmoss emerged supported by sandalwood and a little bit of leather. The drydown was extremely mossy, dry, and green.

A very elegant and refined scent, one that I do enjoy a lot. For someone who enjoys vintage fragrances particularly chypre based scents this is one to try.

Le Canotier by Rogue Perfumery

Two notes stand out to me in Le Canotier: Tabacco and Vetiver. The opening is a bit bright thanks to the citrus note which quickly recedes into the background. Soon the tobacco and violet leaf emerged providing a bright spicy accord fused with some lushes green feel to it. The tobacco resembles the one of Creed Tabarome Millesime. Itís quite potent and becomes a bit polarizing after a while. The tobacco does taper a little but sticks around. The base is met by vetiver which is of the drier and darker kind. A little bit of ambergris can be detected as well, something common in many Creeds. The drydown I felt was a wrestle between the tobacco and vetiver notes. This one has long lasting longevity.

Overall, this one does not appeal to me much. This one reminds of Tabarome Millesime, which is a Creed that I do not enjoy, and this is one that I canít wear. It also felt a bit more modern compared to the others. Most importantly the tobacco combined with the violet leaf, (and moss?) is something I canít get passed. I enjoy vetiver scents but the other notes just make this impossible to enjoy. The quality is definitely there and this one does stand out but just not for me.

Tabac Vert by Rogue Perfumery

This one has been suggested to have similarities to Creed Vintage Tabarome which is my favorite Creed. These are my thoughts.

For the first few minutes the opening was bright and invigorating, this I believe is the bergamot note. The opening of Tabac Vert I would say is the closet in resemblance to VT. The tobacco and pepper starts to emerge giving it a darker and dry feel. In addition, the mossy accord begins to take effect thanks to richness of the oakmoss present in the scent. The similarities are definitely there between the two scents. I do feel that TV is a bit more modernized than VT not exactly the same but itís not far from it. I think if the average nose were to compare the two s/he wouldnít be able distinguish the differences. The base contains wood notes provided by the sandalwood and cedar. The oakmoss never goes away in the drydown but becomes more subtle. A prominent tobacco based scent that really connects with the old world of fragrances. Wearing this I imagine myself in either two different places: a gentlemenís club or at a barbershop.

For those who have never smelled Creed Vintage Tabarome or canít afford it, Tabac Vert would be a great affordable alternative. Nothing will beat VT but this is probably the closet resemblance that Iíve smelled of it. I could see myself wearing this as a cheaper alternative to VT.

Bois de Rhodes by Creed

This is NOT a review but an actual impression from another individual back in 2003 who had the opportunity to try the fragrance. I felt it was important to preserve some sort of context about the fragrance as there is NO information this fragrance anywhere. Please disregard the 'Neutral' rating here.

Here it is and the link:

Excerpt:
Anyone heard of Bois de Rhodes from Creed's vintage collection?

Me neither, until today. It kicks off sharp and sweet with grapefruit and mandarin. Fairly standard citrus, in other words, but very pleasant too.

These notes fade fast, even by citrus standards. What's left is a fresh, clean-smelling wood base, perhaps with a hint of mint and musk. Bois de Rhodes is a type of wood but I've never come across a fragrance with this wood as a note before. Seems a bit like cypress but with a touch of rubber or plastic. The mint also feels a little artificial.

Not unlike Selection Verte in the drydown. Also like Selection Verte, the Creed signature note which I dislike is thankfully not strongly in evidence.

Not really much to distinguish this from dozens of other citrus fragrances out there. It is pleasant enough but compared to Eau d'Hadrien, say, it is insipid and neutered. Compared to Eau d'Orange Verte, it smells slightly synthetic. Compared to Cologne Bigarade, it is one-dimensional.

Only one to buy if you are a Creed obsessive or if you want a summer citrus that smells like plenty of other citrus fragrances out there but hardly anyone else will have heard of.
17th December, 2018

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

A very rare and elusive Creed to find at the time of writing this review and I was very fortunate to discover a partial flacon of this scent. The notes breakdown for this scent is rather inconclusive as almost every notes breakdown that Iíve found had a couple notes that were different specifically at the base. I would consider this a green floral scent. The opening consisted of lemon verbena which has both a citrusy lemon and floral elements. The lemon soon fades giving way to a dry grassy note accompanied by narcissus in the heart. The narcissus florals lingered into the base accompanied by mossy notes what would likely be oakmoss. I would say the drydown of Vervine Narcisse is my favorite part of this Creed. Aside from oakmoss other notes that were mentioned in the base include ambergris, amber, sandalwood, and musk. I didnít identify these notes in particular but if these were in fact there, my nose wasnít able to pick them up. Moderate silage for the first 2 hours before staying closer to the skin. The longevity was decent, I got at least 6 hours. The best time to wear this would be during the spring however I canít find a particular occasion that I would want to wear this scent. Despite saying this I consider this more of a comfort scent, a scent that I would wear when Iím in the right mood. Overall, I consider this a very wonderful green floral scent, itís a little bit different to what Iím use to smelling of this genre but itís still a great scent nonetheless. If I can find more Verveine Narcisse at a reasonable price, I wouldnít hesitate to make a purchase. This is definitely up there with Vintage Tabarome, Angelique Encens, and Scent of Oger amongst other rare elusive Creeds that I enjoy.
02nd December, 2018

Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Despite its elusive mythical status itís a rather simplistic scent and I was fortunate to discover a partial flacon of this Creed. The opening consisted of pepper spices and bay leaves. It was fairly potent at the opening. The bay leaves provided a sharp bitter herbal accord while the pepper spices reminded me of cloves. It reminds me of the holiday season specifically being in the presence of a xmas tree. Its the smell that I get from the oils given off by fresh pine needles from the xmas tree. Holiday candles particularly the ones that have a xmas tree scent do share a similar smell as well. The spicy herbal accord lasted a while about 2 hours before giving way to a dry earthy green vetiver note. The vetiver does have some resemblance to Chanel Sycomore and Guerlain Vetiver. The vetiver drydown is one of a comfort scent in my opinion, very soothing and relaxing. Bayrhum Vetiver is the most vetiver based scent that I have smelled from Creed. Neither Original Vetiver or Vetiver 48 share the intensity of this vetiver note. Thereís not a particular occasion that this would be good for but its safe to say that its better suited for cooler weather. This would be one to consider, should an opportunity presents itself, if one enjoys vetiver based scents and/or obscure Creeds.
02nd December, 2018

Millťsime 1849 by Creed

It is similar in nature to Royal Oud with the addition of floral notes. The opening starts off strong with the presence of ylang ylang with some bergamot to help brighten the scent. The opening as well as the heart are heavily dominated by florals which makes the scent skew unisex. The jasmine will become very prominent at the heart with the ylang ylang still holding on. The base is dominated by wood notes that features cedar, sandalwood and agarwood a combination seen in Royal Oud. The drydown is a little bit sweeter provided by a minimal amount of vanilla present at the base. The florals can subdued at this point but still can be detected in the drydown. Millesime 1849 would be ideal for fall (or spring) weather as it can be overbearing in very warm weather and not strong enough for very cold weather. This is better suited for formal occasions as it does have elegance to it. While the scent has a bit of elegance, itís something that could get rather cloying after sometime. Personally, I didnít enjoy smelling this on myself and it became increasingly unpleasant as time passed. The limited edition and exclusivity initially made me think that this would be to my liking but it ended up not being the case. Iíd rather smell this on a woman than on myself. Despite this, Iím glad I had the opportunity to sample this Creed.
02nd October, 2018

2000 Fleurs by Creed

The name says it all - itís a blend of many florals which can either be a good or a bad thing for some, I will be siding on the latter for this one. For me, thereís just too much going on in this scent which makes it difficult if not impossible to focus on any one particular note since theyíre all meshed together well. In addition the overall smell can get cloying after sometime, my nose became desensitized from smelling this. Florals can be smelled immediately upon application. Magnolia, iris, and rose are florals I can detect somewhat from the opening. Other floral notes include jasmine, violet, lilac, lily, and narcissus but these I wasnít able to identify individually. In addition I can pick up on a fruity citrus note, one that I found in the opening of Millesime Imperial. The black currant is also present but is muted from all of the florals that are present. The florals begin to settle down in the heart some. I picked on an herbal green tea providing some green in the scent. The florals carried into the base but not as potent as it once was previously. The drydown has a subtle amount of sandalwood with some musk along with a touch of Creedís classic ambergris note. Spring time is probably the ideal time, and only time to wear this scent. Longevity is reasonably good with good silage for the first 2 hours. Overall, thereís too much going on in this scent. The many florals present in the scent makes this an awful and disorganized composition in my opinion. I donít recommend this scent to anyone especially women, I think thereís much better offerings from Creed. One of my least favorites from Creed.
04th September, 2018

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Cuir de Russie begins with a tart bergamot/citrus opening with neroli florals giving a clean and refreshing feel. Gradually the opening fades away while the smokey tar-like birch accord begins to emerge. The prominent ĎRussianí leather becomes intwined with the lingering birch accord in the base with the presence of a subtle sandalwood note as well as Creedís classic ambergris. While the leather is dark and smokey, itís both restrained and refined. The scent has a very dated feel to it. Iím reminded of old furniture that has some kind of leather covering on it such as chairs. Other examples would include dated accessories such as old leather wallets and leather wrist bands of old watches. Cuir de Russie takes on a different approach to leather compared to its counterparts Royal English Leather and Royal Delight. Royal English Leather consists of a simplistic brighter and buttery leather accord while Royal Delight consists of mixture sweet powdery florals to leather. Another major difference with Cuir de Russie is that it has a significantly shorter longevity of about 4 hours with the first two hours having moderate silage before becoming a skin scent. I canít find a particular occasion that I would want to wear this scent. Cuir de Russie would more likely appeal to Individuals who have an affinity towards leather scents. Overall this isnít a bad scent but itís not one Iíd be motivated to wear.
28th August, 2018

Bois du Portugal by Creed

A very elegant scent that gets compared with Chanel Pour Monsieur quite frequently. The opening reveals a crisp fresh blast of bergamot that brightens the tone of the scent early on. The bergamot eventually settles down allowing the lavender to creep into the forefront but never to the point where its overbearing and in particular soapy. The bergamot still holds on while in the background the lavender florals give off a nice clean and soft aroma. After approximately two hours the sandalwood will start to become noticeable eventually becoming the dominating note in the drydown. The lavender florals can still be detected but at this point its very subdued. Notes of cedar and vetiver can be detected as well although its blended in the drydown. The drydown also contains the classic ambergris that adds support to the other notes present.

Longevity and silage are excellent and probably one of the best from Creed easily lasting the entire day. Despite being in the Millesime line, Bois du Portugal is a classic old school scent. It fits in the same category as many of the Private Collection and EDT scents. It will more likely appeal to individuals who have an appreciation for classic scents from Creed as well other houses. As mentioned previously, Bois du Portugal has been compared to Chanel Pour Monsieur. Formal and business occasions will certainly be ideal when wearing this fragrance. Cooler weather will also be ideal when considering when to wear this. Overall, this is one of the better scents from the Millesime alongside Green Irish Tweed. It will be a shame should Bois du Portugal get discontinued like Green Valley and Royal Delight have been previously. If this does happen, it would certainly receive a commanding premium.
05th July, 2018

Royal Delight by Creed

This one tries to follow a similar concept as EDT Chanel Cuir de Russie: Itís a gentle delicate scent that intertwines sweetness, florals, and of course leather. The opening consisted of a fusion of sweetness and florals with citrus and jasmine notes. In time the scent becomes more floral with violet emerging more towards the front. In the dry down a tamed subdued leather note can be felt that lies on top of Creedís familiar ambergris as well as some wood notes likely sandalwood. The sweetened opening was a little bit stronger than I wouldíve wanted for this scent. Iíd consider the sweetness a bit saturated and excessive at times which takes away from the scent IMO. Some have drawn similarities to both Joop Homme and Original Santal which I could understand. As for the leather it is very subtle, restrained by other surrounding notes which to me is disappointing. Royal English Leather would be a good choice if one is looking for a classic leather scent. Royal Delight relies heavily on the support of other notes which drowns out the leather considerably. The overall scent shows elegance; the combination of sweetness and florals to leather would definitely make it more unisex. The longevity and silage are reasonably good with Royal Delight which ended up lasting the entire day ~8-10 hours. That being said itís best for cooler weather. Unimpressed and underwhelmed would be my opinion of this scent.
30th June, 2018

Scent of Oger by Creed

Creed Scent of Oger (2007)

This was a limited edition release that was available at the Oger menswear stores in Europe back in 2007. There was very little information regarding the release of this fragrance as Creed didnít make any official announcement at the time. I couldnít find any actual notes listings for this one. One note that has been mentioned consistently was the potpourri which I detected immediately in the opening. Along with potpourri, I also got bergamot, citrus, spice, and some mint notes. Elegant and refined are the best way to describe this scent. Definitely a very bright, crisp, and aromatic scent especially in the opening. Very quickly this reminded me of Selection Verte but better! Both share an herbal accord that is prominent in the heart and drydown. Also present in the drydown are wood notes, some pepper, and a small amount of the typical Creed ambergris. Although this isnít a potent scent, it lasts quite a while. Iím getting at least a good 6 hours from this scent. The first two hours it remained quite noticeable before becoming more subdued thereafter. I find this an easy to wear scent best suited for both casual and formal attires. It works excellent in warm temperature environments. A very pleasing scent overall and is certainly one of the better classic Creeds out there.
25th June, 2018

Tuberose Flash by Tauerville

The main accords listed from Fragrantica are: tuberose, white floral, balsamic, amber, animalic. The notes identified are: orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, labdanum, benzoin and patchouli. Immediately upon application, tuberose was in the forefront of the fragrance. The tuberose wasnít overbearing nor was it weak, it was just right. The tuberose is accompanied by the orange blossom note which gives off a slight fruity accord. The orange blossom holds the tuberose back by providing some balance preventing the scent from getting too floral. On me, I get a slight citrusy/peachy accord from the note. The scent remains bright in the opening. After an hour, the scent begins to tone down, specifically the tuberose, allowing for the jasmine to appear in the scent. Benzoin and labdanum provide a sweet amber accord that becomes noticeable about two hours into the scent. At this point, the jammy feel of the tuberose becomes increasingly noticeable in the scent which is one of the enjoyable parts of this fragrance. The amber accord helps sweeten the now subdued tuberose with the orange blossom and jasmine notes still holding on providing some fruity and floral accords to the scent. At the base, thereís a subtle patchouli note that emerges but not a substantial amount enough to derail the overall scent. The amber is also present at the base combined with a very faint tuberose floral accord still holding on. The scent maintains balance from start to finish, it avoids skewing in any particular direction: dark, dirty, floral, sweet.

Longevity and silage were great for the scent. I was able to get good silage for the first 2 hours before it started to stay closer to the skin. The scent remained noticeable for a good 4 hours before it became a skin scent. I got at least 8 hours of longevity when wearing this scent. I think Tuberose Flash works well in conditions in which the weather isnít super hot or super cold. Spring would probably be the best time to wear the scent. In my opinion the scent is fairly versatile. I believe it could fit in either a day or evening setting. The tuberose in this scent isnít overpowering as compared to tuberose in other scents. The tuberose is checked by the other notes that keep it restrained. Another thing to note is that many tuberose scents tend to skew on the feminine side. In the case of Tuberose Flash, I believe it can be worn by both men and women. Overall, a wonderful take on a tuberose scent. This is a must try for those who either enjoy the note of tuberose or are looking for a tuberose that isnít overpowering and easier to wear.
18th January, 2017

Earthtones #5 : Tropical Lagoon by Neil Morris Fragrances

Summer in a bottle is one way to describe Tropical Lagoon. I would classify this as a tropical fruity scent that is supported by floral and oriental notes. At the time of writing this review, there was no official profile page on either BN or Fragrantica. The official notes were listed in another forum which IĎll list in this review. The notes breakdown include the following: Top - yuzu and mango; Heart - black coconut and freesia; Base - solar musk, myrtle, sea spray, and Madagascan vanilla.
The opening revealed a strong fruity accord of mango and yuzu. The mango is the more dominant note of the two at the opening while the yuzu provides a bit of a citrusy feel to the scent. The bright and refreshing opening makes the scent so compelling to place ones own nose to their wrist time and time again to get whiffs of this glorious aroma. The bright fruity opening settles down at the heart allowing for the floral note of freesia to make its appearance. Freesia together with the note of coconut adds to the sweetness and creaminess of the scent respectively. A gentle amount of vanilla becomes noticeable at the base accompanied by a subtle presence of musk. Iím not to sure what both solar musk and sea spray smell like as these are listed notes at the base. The drydown has a bit of a sweet tone that almost reminded me of sugar cane. In addition to the sweetness at the drydown, I did get some marine/oceanic notes something that I would smell outside if I was walking along a tropical beach. Iím not entirely sure but perhaps thatís what the listed sea spray note is suppose to smell like. As for a summer fragrance both the longevity and silage were great. I got a good 8 hours in longevity while I had good silage for the first 3-4 hours before it stayed closer to the skin for the remainder of the scent. A very beautiful scent to wear during the warmer months of the year. As for me this was an immediate FB purchase shortly after sampling for the first time, as this scent was absolutely perfect! If one appreciates tropical fragrances in general then this is one to definitely try. The tropical aromas in ET #5 Tropical Lagoon will most certainly put an individual in a good mood.
04th January, 2017

Sable & Soleil by Phaedon

The Phaedon website lists this as an aromatic fragrance. Notes listed include: lemon, coconut milk, geranium, jasmine, sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla, and white musk. At the opening there was a presence of fresh lemons and milky coconut. In addition to the notes there was a little bit of salt that I detected which gave a brief sea/oceanic vibe to it which made the scent a little bit more intriguing. The citrusy lemon was very likely a combination of the lemon blossom and geranium notes. The coconut wasnít too sweet nor dominating but definitely detectable. Fifteen minutes or so the scent proceeded into the middle notes while losing most of itís initial sea/oceanic vibe. At the middle while the coconut remained present, the lemons faded into the background while floral notes of jasmine began to appear. About an hour, the scent proceeded to the base where vanilla and tonka bean notes sweeten up the fragrance. Musk and some woods became present shortly after giving a little depth to the scent beneath the sweetness and enhancing the subtle drydown. The drydown has been compared to as smelling very much like suntan lotion which I could definitely see. Longevity and silage were below average for this scent. I got roughly 4-5 hours in longevity with moderate silage for the first hour before the scent stayed close to the skin. Clearly a scent for the warmer weather particularly during the summer. I would consider this appropriate for most casual settings as this scent wonít be strong enough to offend others. As for my thoughts, I consider this a linear scent that shows very little depth during its duration. While thereís nothing bad with the scent, I wasnít impressed with this fragrance at all. The only time I enjoyed this scent to an extent was during the first hour so, after that it becomes a bit boring for me. In my opinion, thereís plenty of other scents to choose to from if I wanted something that emphasized summer.
04th January, 2017

Centrepiece by 4160 Tuesdays

At the time of making a sample order, Centrepiece was top rated of all of the 4160 Tuesdays fragrances available on Luckyscent. Centrepiece was classified as a sweet fragrance with both oriental and gourmand notes and therefore I decided to order a sample of this scent. The notes breakdown consist of: honey, green tea, frangipani, musk, cedar, and vanilla. On Fragrantica the notes breakdown include additional notes of sorbet and chocolate but I wasnít able to detect either of these notes. Almost immediately after application, the opening revealed a green tea note that came off as bright and herbally. The note is paired with a sweet honey note and for a short time co-dominates the fragrance. Eventually the green tea note becomes a bit darker and more herbally fading behind the honey note now having a subtle role to the fragrance. The honey note continued to thrive strong while the scentís sweetness intensified thanks to the frangipani note which makes its present known here. For me, the frangipani note presented itself as sweet, florally, and perhaps with a bit of spice. Together the frangipani and honey notes blended together giving off an almond extract smell. A wisp of woodsy notes can be detected underneath the sweetness which comes in and out of the scent occasionally. Finally after 3 hours, the honey and frangipani notes weakens thus giving way to a powdery vanilla note that is assisted by musk. Together the notes gave off a sweet animalistic musky feel to the scent at the drydown. The dry down here is quite similar to that of Frederic Malleís Musc Ravaguer but a bit cleaner.

Longevity and silage are fairly good here as I got 8 hours in longevity with 4 hours of good silage before the scent stayed closer to the skin. The ideal time to wear this would be during the cooler months as the oriental and gourmand notes could make this cloying in warmer temperatures. Overall, this fragrance was well constructed and thereís definitely a bit of depth here with a few transformations having occurred during its duration. The notes werenít easy to distinguish and it took both some concentration and patience to identify these notes. For me, Centrepiece reminded me of a few fragrances that I already own such as Coromandel and Musc Ravaguer but not nearly as enjoyable as compared to these . While this was a decent smelling scent, I wasnít blown away by the scent. Itís not one of my favorite gourmand scents nor what I had in mind for something in this genre but itís not a profound scent either. Simply put, my nose doesnít happen to be in favor of this fragrance. Setting aside my thoughts of the fragrance, I think this one is worth sampling especially if one happens to enjoy sweet fragrances with gourmand and oriental notes.
04th September, 2016

Shalimar Ode ŗ la Vanille : Sur la Route de Madagascar by Guerlain

The Madagascar version of Ode a la Vanille has been on my try list for a very long time and I was fortunate enough to track down a sample of it. Iíll be making comparisons to the original Shalimar here(not the original 2010 Ode a la Vanille). Madagascar is classified as a woody oriental fragrances. At the opening I got the familiar bergamot opening although not quite as intense and sharp as the original. Noticeably, there was a bit of citrus and lemon notes that contrasted the bergamot which softened up the opening. The opening toned down rather quickly allowing for the rich iris florals in the middle of the scent to present itself along with the vanilla note that is already starting to peak out. Soon after at the base, the vanilla began to intensify taking center stage and quickly dominating the other notes that become present in the scent. Aside from the vanilla, other prominent notes that were noticeable in this scent as well as in the original included leather, balsamic notes from the opoponax, smokey incense, and wood notes. Even though the notes were mentioned in both, many of these notes werenít nearly pronounced in Madagascar which had an effect on the drydown. The drydown maintained a strong presence of vanilla with both a smokey and woody tinge to it. Itís also worth mentioning that the drydown wasnít as animalistic as compared to the original. Longevity and silage were decent with 8 hours in longevity while silage was moderate for the first few hours before staying closer to the skin. Cooler weather conditions would be ideal when wearing this as it could be a little overbearing in warmer weather. As for my thoughts on it, I enjoyed this one a lot. I think Ode a la Vanille Madagascar is much more approachable than the original especially if one struggles with the opening and its slight animalistic feel at the base. It has both a comforting and sensual feel to it that just doesnít disappoint. Sadly this has been discontinued for quite some time and its very difficult to find now. Due to its scarcity, I donít expect to acquire a bottle of this fragrance but if an opportunity presents itself then I may reconsider.
04th September, 2016

Silk, Lace & Chocolate by 4160 Tuesdays

From what was available of 4160 Tuesdays on Luckyscent this was one that stood out to me and one that I wanted to try. I would consider Silk, Lace & Chocolate as a fruity gourmand fragrance. The fragrance contains a very simplistic notes breakdown which consisted of: bergamot, chocolate, and strawberry. At the opening, there was a sharp crisp bergamot note along with a supporting strawberry note that temporarily made the scent both citrusy and fruity. The bergamot quickly dies down while the strawberry and chocolate notes began to dominate the scent interchangeably. The strawberry note present here has an artificial feel to it, it kind of reminded me of strawberry extract for baking/cooking. In addition, the note has both a fruity and sweet feel to it. As for the chocolate, the note was a bit more natural as oppose to the strawberry. The chocolate was also sweet, and had an edible feel to it. At this stage the fragrance reminded me of chocolate candies with strawberry filling which was likely the impression that the scent was meant to give. The scent gave me the impression that it was both delicious and edible. Ironically, the description of the scent on Luckyscent mentioned that this was a fragrance for Valentines in 2015, probably the perfect pairing to a box full of chocolate candies. Had the strawberry note been of the natural kind, Iíd be inclined to saying this may be comparable to a chocolate covered strawberry although some may see it this way. After several hours the scent dies down to a subtly sweet and slightly powdery scent with only hints of strawberry and chocolate barely present. At this stage, the scent has all but lost the delicious edible components and is nothing more than a skin scent.

The best times to wear this would likely be either during the cooler months or during evenings for warmer months as warm weather could make this scent a bit cloying. Longevity and silage were only average here. I got roughly 4-5 hours in longevity with decent silage for the first 2-3 hours before it started to stay closer to the skin. Overall, Silk, Lace & Chocolate was a linear scent that didnít change too much with the exception at the opening. Personally I wouldíve liked more complexity to the scent with a few additional notes to make things more interesting but itís still somewhat decent for what it is. While I consider this a decent enough scent, this scent lacks any kind of wow factor for me. While my experience with this fragrance was alright, Iím less inclined to wanting to wear this in the future. In my opinion, the combination of the sweet and delicious notes of strawberry and chocolate has a bit of a feminine touch thus more likely to appeal to women then men. Personally, Iíd much rather smell this on a woman than on myself. Anyone who wishes to experience a fragrance that combines strawberry and chocolate in an edible way this is one to look at.
27th August, 2016

Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays

Doe in the Snow is an aromatic fruity fragrances that is primarily based around notes of citruses, florals, and chypre. The opening revealed a blast of sharp citrus notes contributed by both the yuzu and citron that was paired with a grapefruit note. Also in the opening was the presence of aldehyde which was luckily not overpowering. The citruses combined with aldehyde created a very crisp and refreshing feeling. As the scent moved towards the heart, the floral notes began to appear which consisted of jasmine and rose. Of the two florals notes the jasmine is the dominant of the two, however both are gentle and subtle just strong enough to be detected by the nose. At the base, the scent becomes more earthy and mossy contributed by the oakmoss. The kind of oakmoss present here was neither dirty or dark but instead elegant and refined. The oakmoss was quite pronounced but it wasnít overbearing. There was a slight herbal touch likely contributed by the green tea note that accompanied the oakmoss. A subtle touch of woodsy notes, likely from the cedar and oak, rounded off the base enhancing the outdoors and earthy effect of the drydown. In my opinion, the best part of Doe in the Snow was at the drydown. It has a very alluring smell with notes that constructed the scent really well. The name of the fragrance can be misleading as anyone could assume that this is a colder weather scent meant specifically for the winter. I believe this scent could work well in both cooler and warmer weather conditions and thus a fragrance that could be worn year round. Doe in the Snow comes off as a very casual scent that seems to fit many occasions. Longevity and silage were good here. I got around 8-10 hours in longevity with 3-4 hours of decent silage before the scent stayed closer to the skin. For anyone who enjoys chypre scents, oakmoss in particular, this is one worth giving a smell.
20th August, 2016