Reviews by FISS80

FISS80's avatar
    FISS80

Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Incredibly bright and green. Opens with an in your bright, fruity character that permeates my tongue and throat every time I wear it. While not at all the same fragrance, the opening and middle of this slightly reminds of Creed's SMW. A hint of the stank is present to give this beautiful fragrance great character. The floral middle of this fragrance is undeniably intoxicating and my favorite part. As the fragrance dries down it becomes more skanky while retaining its floral character. Longevity is easily 15+ hours. If left on clothes, it will remain for several days and will become more and more skanky. Projection is 3-4 feet. Stunning.

09 April, 2014

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Simple yet sexy. Opens up as a very earthy and spicy rose. Patchouli and cinnamon heavy with a watery, spicy rose. I imagine not a rose per say, but more of a rose petal sitting on top of water with sweetened soil in a jar. Constructed as EDT strength and performs as such on my skin. Perfect for a walk in the park, with a loved one, on a cool spring day, whether the sun is present or not.

10th March, 2014

Interlude Man by Amouage

I'm late to the party on this one but I will still share my opinion. Opens very fruity and medicinal. Medicinal as in Vicks Vapor Rub but truly intoxicating. This stage stays for about an hour. Them it transitions into a smoky sweet smell that I cannot get enough of. Easily my favorite part of the fragrance. Interlude Man then proceeds to effortlessly transition between these two stages for the duration, which is extremely long. Easily 12 hours. Very well blended. I detect the leather, Opponax and cistus mostly in this fragrance(based off of the description of the aforementioned as I have never personally smelled them. Incredible Longevity and siliage. A FB may be in the future...

03 March, 2014

Enigma Pour Homme by Roja Dove

*This review is for the Parfum version*
    I recently purchased a 20ml decant of this fragrance. Today is my first day wearing it and wanted to share my thoughts.This fragrance has an old school vibe without actually smelling dated. I can see the comparisons to TV but it is an absolutely different fragrance altogether. It is much lighter and no where near as sweet. I swear I smell the neroli and bergamote all the way through its development. The tobacco and vanilla are blended extremely well and the cardamom comes through in a big way towards the end. I think that the dry down more closely resembles Spicebomb than TV. I thought and thought about what this fragrance reminds me of. Finally I got it. This brings me back to my grade school days doing arts and crafts! I believe it is the heliotrope in the opening that does this. In any case, I really like the cognac in this. To me it is this note and the heliotrope that set it apart from both of the aforementioned fragrances. That and its superb construction. Well blended, long lasting, perfect projection, and excellent longevity. 8/10

28 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2014)

Red Aoud by Montale

Earthy, Spicy, Sweet. Who knew that these three adjectives could describe something so delectable! The initial blast of classic Montale Oud is quickly subdued by the soft smooth combination of Haitain Vetiver and saffron. Hours into the fragrance the red pepper begins to steal the show as the saffron and orris jump into the passenger seat. Excellent longevity and silage. Well blended and just a joy to wear. Thumbs Up.

17 February, 2014

Sel Marin by Heeley

well composed, simple yet unforgettable, fresh

The note pyramid is simple yet extremely composed. Every note can be detected and I'm amazed at how the note pyramid could produce an aquatic. Vetiver? Birch? Lemon? Preposterous!! Not just an aquatic. A natural smelling aquatic! A refreshing departure from the aquatic genre. Longevity is superb. Initially it made me nauseous but the more I wear it, the more I enjoy wearing it. I imagine a sunny day with a few puffy clouds overhead. A nice blue grean ocean as clear as glass. Small waves billowing in from the slight breeze in the 70 degree weather. Nice.

Pros: innovative, realistic, excellent longevity
    Cons:

02 June, 2013

Shooting Stars: Kobe by Xerjoff

Classy, dynamic citrus

Warm but cooling, light but heavy. Smells like woods. Not forest green woods, but burning campfire woods. Citrus smells like sweet candy. Reminds me of the gummy orange candies shaped like an orange. Finally I smell the Tonka bean and amber. The fragrance is blended so smoothly, yet you can certainly pick out the individual dominant notes. Very classy. A fragrance you wear to make a statement. For the price, it certainly should...

Pros: Excellent longevity, Dynamic, Unique
    Cons: Versatility, Price

25 May, 2013

M by Puredistance

Cinnamon, vetiver, vanilla, lemon, leather, and musk. Even a novice nose like me can detect each and every note in this heavenly concoction. The smell is certainly divine. The thing that makes this fragrance amazing is the fact that no one note overpowers the other!! It is like a symphony with no solos in that each note independently, is great but when played in unison it puts you in another state of mind. Just the right amount of projection and excellent longevity. Simply amazing...

08 March, 2013

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Smells like lemon bug spray!! Synthetic, headache inducing nastiness. Made me extremely nauseous. Cannot understand how anyone would find this remotely appealing.

03 March, 2013

Millésime Impérial by Creed

AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL projection and longevity. Quality fragrance but absolutely not worth the money. GIT or SMW are much better alternatives IMO
    Edit:
    I have come around to this. Very nice, must be worn during cool spring days to work on my skin. The right temperature gives me 6-8 hours longevity, 3-4 hours projection

26 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2013)

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I LOVE THIS STUFF!! It opens with a slight petro note but is dominates by a fresh floral green smell. Lasts about 4-5 hours on my skin. One of the best designer fragrances hands down

24 May, 2012

Guerlain Homme Intense by Guerlain

Great Juice!! Very sexy and classy. Another great fragrance from the Guerlain house

12 March, 2012

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Nice fragrance. Smells just like the price tag IMO. Angel's twin brother...

04 March, 2012

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Very likeabe fragrance. Nothing fantastic but it just smells great. Vanilla, Honey Tobacco. Nice.

04 January, 2012

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

Headache inducing. The initial spray was enjoyable but about 30 minutes into the fragrance it became too much and I had to wash it off. Not for me.

04 January, 2012

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Amazing fragrance!!! The most prominent notes to my nose are amber, tobacco, and oud.Just the right amount of scent strength for me. 2 sprays and Im good all day. My new signature work scent. Not as dark as I had hoped but still my current favorite scent out of my wardrobe.

29 December, 2011

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Not my cup of tea. While I respect Aramis 900 for its take on a rose scent, I cannot wear this myself. Opens up with a very dry clean fresh rose scent which does not change throughout the life of the scent(on my skin). While I have no problem with wearing some feminine smelling scents, Aramis 900 is a little too mature and feminine smelling for me.

Pi by Givenchy

Very synthetic putrid vanilla fragrance. Opens with a dull, overly sweet, metallic vanilla smell that remains pretty much throughout the life of the fragrance. Even if you are a diehard vanilla lover there are a ton of other vanilla based fragrances that put this fragrance to shame. Terrible...

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Definitely a "feminine" fragrance for the simple fact that their seem to be no "masculine" notes in its makeup. My first fragrance purchase from the Tom Ford house. Very enjoyable drydown!! The opening is very much in your face and actually wears you instead of you wearing it. No other fragrance I own garners as many compliments from the opposite sex. I am constantly asked what I am wearing and where they can purchase it for their significant other. Definitely not the best from this house but you could certainly do worse.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

One of my favorite fragrances. Opens up with a very strong licorice with a dry vanilla note in the background. The licorice(aniseed)remains at the forefront for about a half an hour and then the dry vanilla comes to the front and remains the dominant note for the remainder of the fragrance with the aniseed never completely exiting the lineup but still fulfulling a very necessary role to hold the composition together. One of the best drydowns I have every smelled. One of the few designer fragrances I would easily pay double retail to own.(Thankfully I dont have to :))

H.M. by Hanae Mori

A very sneaky gourmand. Has a very lemony sweet opening which will remain for the life of the fragrance. On my skin this strong candy open stays for about 2 hours and then dries down to a very close to the skin vanilla scent with the candy lemon relaxing in the background. Enjoyable from start to finish.

Rochas Man by Rochas

This scent is a godsend for gourmand lovers on a budget. You cannot beat the quality of the product in comparison to the price. The opening is very sweet. Dry Cotton candy with a hint of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. Projection is moderate which is welcomed for a night with a special someone cuddling at home or going out to a movie. Warm, sweet, and cozy. I could also see a confident woman wearing this fragrance.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Nice sharp lemon opening, that I liken to Pledge furniture cleaner(but alot nicer, if that makes any sense). Dries down to a creamy faint vanilla with the lemon still present but taking a back seat. The lemon stays throughout the life of the fragrance which is extremely short-lived on my skin Im afraid. I get maybe 2 hours max. Nice fragrance but certainly not something that screams must have.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is my favorite scent right now!! I have never smelled anyone wearing this and in a world of le male's, 1 millions, and Issey's this is a welcomed addition to my collection!! This fall I will be rotating this with Tom Ford TL.

13 October, 2011

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This has to be the most rich, well crafted fragrance I have ever smelled in my life. If I only had one fragrance that I could wear for the rest of my life I think I would choose this one. The silliage on this frag is unbelievable and this was just a 5ml sample!! I will be ordering this this week. A MUST HAVE in any fragrance lovers collection whether you like florals or not.

26 July, 2011

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I really enjoy this scent!! I am not a summer fragrance kind of guy because I really enjoy smelling dynamic and changing scents and it seems most of the scents that fit this category are made for fall/winter wear. Another reason is that almost ALL summer scents disappear from my skin with an hour niche and designer alike. I decided to peruse the blogs on basenotes and find a few summer scents to wear because I have no choice but to wear a summer scent(pensacola,fl 100 percent humidity everyday lol!!). I came across reviews of this scent as well as Bleu de Chanel. Originally I felt that Chanel was the fragrance that I would choose after spraying both on my wrists because I felt that 212 was not projecting as much as I had hoped. I was happily mistaken!! While I was in line to pay, I smelled this wonderful green scent and lo and behold it was 212!! I had never heard of this scent before joining basenotes and I have never smelled anyone wearing it. I promptly left my place in line to go get a bottle and I am so glad I did. It seems as if as the day goes on the silliage actually intensifies. It has only been a day but I am very happy that I made this purchase. A definite smell before you buy though.

26 July, 2011

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I cannot say that I enjoy the initial scent from this fragrance however I really enjoy the dry down, hence the nuetral review. Layers excellent with Black Orchid...
    *Update* great take on a leather based fragrance. My favorite of all the leather fragrances I have tried thus far. Ultimately enjoyable from start to finish.

16 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2012)