Reviews by Birdboy48

Room 237 by Bruno Fazzolari

I've finally gone through my official sample, with an ongoing feeling that 237 reminds me of something I already have.

On my last wear, I figured out what it is, when I sprayed them both on different arms.

Room 237 is "Breath of God" lite. BOG has much more bite to it of course, and a lot more projection, but the resemblance is certainly there.
15th March, 2017

Earthtones #1 - Dark Earth by Neil Morris Fragrances

I recently received quite a few samples from this line, and at this point in the game Dark Earth the one I've found myself liking the most. Somewhat to my initial disappointment I don't find it particularly "dirty" or earthy in the ways that CB Black March or other dirt-like fragrances are, so now in 2016 perhaps it's been tinkered with a little from the previous reviews some years ago.

Particularly pleasant stuff I thought, unisex, and well worth taking a look at if you find yourself thinking of sampling within this line.
06th August, 2016

Taj by Neil Morris Fragrances

What's the persistent and prominent note that I smell ? Very similar to some of the Slumberhouse things, as I'm testing this 2016 example.
23rd July, 2016

Spirit of Water by Neil Morris Fragrances

Not in the least like an aquatic as the name might suggest, but a gentle-hearted non-rosey floral instead. Goes on easy, but comes on stronger than one might be lead to expect from the initial opening, so go easy on the trigger when first testing. A bit too much on the feminine side for me I'll admit, but good projection and longevity. A pleasant-natured floral for spring and summer.
20th July, 2016

Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Perfumes

Those who have been out on the river and pulled out for a pause, and happen to find themselves in the vicinity of these roundish mud-pats that beavers make to mark their territory, will certainly find that same odor lurking here, even in the new formulation. A bit like damp cardboard in this frag, but restrained, unlike the overpowering smell you might find on the river should you happen to picnic too close.

Sweetish and unusual, and certainly wearable, if perhaps not an everyday thing. And no disappointment for those with some knowledge of beavers who may be curious as to what a so-named fragrance might be like.

Among the 5 samples from this line that I received, I found this and Bat to be the most interesting.
15th July, 2016 (last edited: 19th July, 2016)

Panda (original) by Zoologist Perfumes

A likable summertime fragrance. Those like myself, without a lot of note discrimination, are likely to view it as existing within the aquatic family. A non-aquatic aquatic, if you will. Quite pleasant stuff.
14th July, 2016

Hummingbird by Zoologist Perfumes

As was mentioned above, a light-hearted and carefree creamy floral. Feminine, probably, but without any heavy rose to it, so worth sniffing for fellows who are not adverse to such things.

I just got back from a long camping trip, and noticed a hit of what smelled like Colman Stove fuel in the opening, but it disperses after the first 15 minutes or so.

Good longevity, but not much projection so one might want to use a few more spritizes than usual.

Pretty stuff.
13th July, 2016

Kalemat by Arabian Oud

As others have said, just wonderful stuff, but if one checks Fragarantica there are rumors of a fairly substantial reformulation.

The partial bottle I got from a private seller on E-bay came in the box that looks and opens like a book, rather than the box that opens from two sides with the brown stripe running down the center which may be newer. Mine has a batch number/date code that reads 240313 on the side of the bottle, which I assume refers to a 2013 production date.

My bottle smells great, and matches the scent of the sample I started with, which pushed me to buy my FB.
15th February, 2016

Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

Not for me I'm afraid. Too sweet and fruity, and as someone who pretty much lives in the forest, my nose doesn't pick up any of the pine I'm afraid. It may be in there, but on me, it's swamped by the berry notes.

Of good quality, so it can't be faulted for that, but as a fellow, I'll take my foresty notes a bit more dry and demonstrative.
10th July, 2015

HYLNDS - Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga

Bitter but warm and outdoorsy, and probably suitable for summer wear too. Not sure if it's quite my cup of tea, but well composed and definitely what one would label as "niche" as it strays far from other more run-of-the mill fragrances.

This fragrance was included as SO1E10 in Chandler Burr's "Untitled" series.

Edit : After living with this for a year now, my affection for it has grown. I'm slowly loosing my patience for frags that are "different" but this one's only grown nicer for me.
06th July, 2015 (last edited: 19th August, 2016)

Arabie by Serge Lutens

Here it is folks - All of the thick overbearing syrupy cloying sweetness that Lutens haters love to hate. If you've ever wondered what they are talking about, look no further, because this is the place to find it.

I quite like it myself, and am glad that I have it, but you better know what you are in for when you reach for the trigger.
04th July, 2015

Rocabar by Hermès

As has been stated before, refined and sophisticated. One can bring to mind the sort of man who might wear this, but do such men, and the proper situations still exist these days ?

To be honest, I'm more of a casual sort of fellow, and not nearly as restrained in character as one would need to be to pull this stuff off, so it's not for me I'm afraid.
04th February, 2015

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

So I got one of the travel bottles, just to see what the buzz was, and after wearing it for 5 days straight…well…it became hard to ignore the fact that I never wear anything for 5 days straight.

It's Amber of course, and there are those who are not fans of amber. But if you are one who likes it, and likes it fairly straight-up, it won't hurt to pay attention to the uniformly positive ratings this wonderful fragrance garnered here.
14th January, 2015

Explosions d’Emotions : Amour Nocturne by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Just a brief chance to sample all three of of the offerings in this line. I'd say this is the most feminine of the three, and comes across as beautiful and calming.
30th December, 2013

Explosions d'Emotions : Déliria by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I only got the chance to sniff this briefly and it came across as the most unusual and daring of the three quite pleasant offerings within in this group.
30th December, 2013

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Want to know what Incense smells like ?

I'm with Jack Hunter on this one. Quite "ancient churchy" in nature. I've sampled most of the CDG incense line, and since there are so many types of incense (the types you burn) it has taken me a while to understand what incense really is. But this stuff will certainly let you know. Dark, brooding and medieval-stone-church smelling to me. Is it the perfect Goth frag ?

Well, to my nose that is.

My sister absolutely loved it on herself, and other noses smell cinnamon instead. Quite interesting and well made I felt, with good longevity on me, and trending over on the masculine side. But for myself it's fairly single-note dominant and "not particularly what I want to smell like" as the old saying goes.

So I'm giving it 3 stars, based simply on whether I feel it suits me, rather than any problem with quality issues.

Pros: Nice quality.
Cons: Heavy on one note, so you better like it."

13th August, 2013

Black by Bulgari

Like it or not, a Must-Smell Classic

At around 250 reviews and counting, it's hard to say much that's new about what had to have been one of the more astonishing introductions of it's time. Although the novelty may have worn off for some, it's still modern, and quality juice, and something anyone who hopes to claim a knowledge of fragrance...or the history of fragrance...really owes it to themselves to smell.

Inexpensive as well, and comes in a bottle that may yet to be matched in it's originality.

Personally I like it a lot, and wear it with some frequency, if only for the amazement of the thing.

Pros: Historic, and nothing else quite like it.
Cons: You may not like it.

18th June, 2013

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Tranquilizer in a bottle. A fragrance that puts others at ease, and which puts the wearer at ease as well.

Looking for a gift for that person in your life who seems too wound up and stressed out? This is is the stuff for them as well.

Not a big fan of the JCE approach to things, but I'll make an exception for this one.
24th January, 2013

Fields of Rubus by Kerosene

Was visiting my sister, just in time for her samples of this whole line to arrive. After sniffing them all, this was the one I liked the most. Rose-like, with an incense overlay. I'm still making my peace with the idea of rose fragrances for men, but this one might change my mind.

Everyone to their own taste when it comes to fragrance of course, but if you are thinking of sampling this line, this is one you might want to include.
25th December, 2012

Opus I by Amouage

This is certainly some wonderful stuff. Strong, sweet and it projects nicely.

Is it unisex ? It's not quite feminine, and not quite masculine, and yet probably not something I'd be wearing in public.

None the less I'll be keeping the sample I have, and like some of the more floral things I have samples of, wearing it for my own pleasure around the house.

Thumbs up with an asterisk from here, and well worth a sniff if you get the opportunity.
23rd October, 2012 (last edited: 15th October, 2016)

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

A lot of folks simply love this stuff ( the juice in the bottle with the design shown above) and if you enjoy aquatics, this in one that many people like the most.

Still available on E-bay at varying prices, so it's not impossible to find. Comes in a super-size 125 ml bottle and comes with a cap made of enough Lucite plastic big enough to satisfy every plastic-lover in your family.

As others have implied, this stuff has some real power to it, so you really want to watch out for over-application.

I'm discovering that perhaps I'm not the aquatic fan that I thought I might be, and as a result I'm giving this a neutral rating. But in light of everyone else's comments, if you happen to be looking for a summer aquatic, this would seem to be one worth trying.
06th August, 2012

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Fumerie Turque is the fifth most reviewed Lutens fragrance in the Directory, which is a bit of a surprise given what a large and darkly hovering presence it is within the Lutens things.

Others here have mentioned the notes, so I won't go into that. If you've not figured it out by now, it's 95th percentile stuff, in that it's quite strong, projects like crazy with a single spritz, and sticks around forever.

Luca Turin hints that there may have been a reformulation, and for the time being it's no longer being imported to the US, but there is still plenty of it around if you need to find a sample.

The sample I got was high-powered, and the partial bottle I found on the bay was the same, so I can't speak to any reformulations. What I can say is that anyone who wants to be able to say they have some familiarity with the Lutens line needs to include this in their sampling endeavors.

Dark and melancholy perhaps, but sitting like a hulking boulder of black basalt smack in the middle of the Lutens line up.
13th June, 2012

Baque by Slumberhouse

I can't claim to be able to tease out all the notes in this frag as drseid was able to do, but I certainly can second his comments about character and longevity. I was still able to smell this on my wrist the next day, after a bath, and a full 24 hrs after application.

As those who have some familiarity with the Slumberhouse scents ( believe I've sampled most of them) will tell you, this house is not your average house, and it's sensibilities come from within a different perceived venue than most other fragrances hope to position themselves. Street culture, "Outsider Art" - it's hard to pin down where they are coming from, other than to say that those with fixed ideas of what a fragrance should be may find them challenging.

Add to that the irony that these frags are, on the whole, as "old school" as they can be, From the standpoint that they hark back to a time, not so much in the "Powerhouse" era, but a long-lost time even before that, when fragrances were simply assumed to have some body, richness and projection to them.

Given that, my sense is that Slumberhouse throws most concerns about IFRA regulations to the winds, and may be worth sampling simply for that stance alone.

Fragrances from this house continue to evolve, and as a unique and totally non Euro-scent set of productions, is a house that those with an interest in new directions in fragrance may find well worth keeping an eye on.
07th June, 2012

Kanøn by Kanon

I was gifted a small mini of this, along with a number of other things, by a friend who works at a perfume shop. The mini looks like the original bottle, funky wood cap and all.

And to be honest, not exactly the most modern stuff, but what should we expect from a fragrance that comes to us from almost 50 years ago ?

So "Gentlemanly" is probably the proper term. I'm plenty old myself, and remember scents like this, so perhaps my perspective is skewed and this fragrance would be viewed differently by a younger person. But at my age, I find myself a bit frightened to be reminded how old I really am, and I found the smell of Kanon did have a tendency to remind me of that.

However, the real surprise I took away from Kanon is the fact that an inexpensive fragrance like this does not have to smell cheap or poorly thought-out. This is clearly a well-made fragrance, and serves to embarrass those of us who happily shell out large sums of money for some of the lesser fragrances we purchase.

Perhaps this fragrance is not for me, and should be viewed more as a lesson in history, but good quality stuff none the less.
14th May, 2012

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

I'm looking for something for summer, but unfortunately I could not find anything to get excited about when it comes to this apparenly-classic juice. It's innocuous enough, but I prefer something with a little more character.

For some reason it gives me the vibe of something an older person might wear.

And I'm already d*mned old enough as it is.
06th May, 2012

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Duh : This is one of those ones that's distinctive enough that if you're going to love it, you'll really love it, and if you don't, you won't.

Certainly not your Mr. Studly Sextup type of thing, but rather my go-to comfort scent instead.

And the sort of thing that if you like Tea for Two, there's a fair chance that you'll like this too.

Count me among those who love it.

18th April, 2012

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Others are quick to mention the spices as the primary overlay to the amber in this now-classic frag, but I don't get those spices, and hope I'm not alone in smelling incense instead. This incense note persists for hours on my skin.

Overall, dryer than it's cousin Arabie.

Wonderful things, both of them, but watch out for over-application, as heavy-handedness can spoil their effects.
13th March, 2012

John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos

I enjoyed this product well enough, but as someone without much of a nose I have to echo what some of the others said : It needs more persistence and projection.

With a little more go-power this could be some quite nice stuff.
06th February, 2012

Epic Man by Amouage

It's from Amouage, so it's undoubtedly wonderful stuff, with all the strength and longevity I enjoy in a perfume. But to be frank, it's simply not the way I want to smell, nor does it project the sort of personal image I believe I could pull off, nor want to pull off. Others have said that it's macho, and while that might not be quite the right term, I suspect "distinguished" fits the bill, and as a somewhat light-hearted older guy, I'm simply not interested in ever seeming this distinguished.

Perhaps the sort of thing to wear if you are an established politician stepping out of your Rolls Royce, but carrying with it the same sort of air of high-powered unapproachability that such mindfully-serious men often project. I find it terrifically conservative, and probably not worn by sort of man you might initially consider fun to pal around with.

But exactly the sort of thing to wear if you find yourself in a situation where that's the image you need to project, and probably the perfect stuff to wear if you should find yourself in the position of, say, needing to make an advantageous business deal with a bunch of stone-faced Soviets.

So not the greatest date frag, unless you happen to be into those sorts of women, that is.

21st January, 2012

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Did this wonderful stuff actually once come in the interesting bottle we see at the top of the page ? It would seem so, along with the other fragrances in the other interesting bottles shown.

The ones that remain have all been transferred to Lush's dreadfully generic containers, but Breath of God is still what it is ; a controversial fragrance that one either loves or hates.

Count me among those who love it.

It takes all kinds, and all noses I guess.
03rd December, 2011