Reviews by Roper-Hall

Roper-Hall's avatar
    Roper-Hall

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I am afraid that this may be one of those addictive fragrances that I have heard about. I love the raspberry leather opening. It is so sharp that it almost makes my nose tingle. The leather is so true; it is like that crisp animalic note of a new leather belt, or the smell of a leather goods store. There isn't anything buttery going on here, nor anything powdery. It is balanced by some sweetness, but these notes are not readily identifiable to my nose. In the drydown the leather shares the stage with that unusual oud note of Ford's that seems to smell like Ajax or Comet cleanser at first, then settles down into an interesting harmony that lasts for hours. I just cannot stop sniffing my wrist when I have it on.

01st December, 2011

Sake by Fresh

Nice glutinous rice scent that does hint at the fermented beverage for which it is named. The citrus-ginger in the top notes snap refreshingly until it fades into a musky peachy scent that lingers for hours. I did enjoy it, and I like to use it to balance out Muscs Kublai Khan which can be a little heavy.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 January, 2013)

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I got some treats today while buying Voleur des Roses. The SA was kind enough to spray decant a small sample of this and Dzing! She sprayed each frag on identified scent strips, since the decants were blanks. Wow! Dzongkha smells fantastic on paper!!However, after I applied it to my skin I had a whole new ballgame. It came across as dill pickle potato chips crossed with edgy laundry powder. I waited for an hour to see if would settle or metamorphose, and unfortunately it remained just as acrid. Maybe it just overpowers my sense of smell; it is no doubt a powerhouse. I like dill pickles, but I don't want to smell like one. It is interesting, and I am sure others love it, but it gets a neutral from me.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I am in total agreement with Orpheus on this fragrance. Smells good on paper, but it smells great on skin. As much as I like this, I am buying a bottle for my wife, I really want her to smell this good all the time.

Rochas Man by Rochas

This classic is elegance in a bottle. It not only will add a new dimension to your comportment while you wear it, but also will demand a new level of attention from those around you. This chef d'oeuvre of fragrance is what will complete you, like the Jag on your Jaguar, and the sparkle in your eye. This is not about the notes and accords, its about the complete package, and why we choose to wear enhancements at all.

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Love at first breath. This opens like a Louis Armstrong song; raspy, deep, and powerful. The caraway,lavender, and rosemary nearly overwhelm, but then the citrus and rose accords start to assert themselves.
    Just after the top notes start to harmonize, the woody aromatics begin to rise up, ever so slowly: a mild growl of an Armstrong riff. The tender sweet lilt of patchouli sustains an exotic rythym as the florals start to swing. The cedar, myrhh, and tea fuse like a jazz trio of bass, sax, and piano, creating an elegant balance where none outshines the other.
    This scent turns sleepy, and then suddenly rises up, the same way that good music swells and surges, keeping in time to your own heat and beat. Hours later, when the lights are low, you can still smell the warm, deep, essence of the basenotes, and vaguely hear that Armstrong "yeah!!".

16 September, 2011

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Approaching Pour Monsieur is like stepping back in time. I well remember standing at the perfume counter in Simpson's (long gone now), trying the Diors, Givenchys, Chanels and YSLs. Even then I disliked certain elements of perfume, and they still trouble me so many years later: powdery drydowns being the main offender.
    I used to consider Pour Monsieur one of those wonderful men's fragrances that just came up short because of the powderiness, but lo and behold, either my sensibilities have changed or the perfume is different. I recently sniffed and even bought a 50ml., and was pleasantly surprised to find Pour Monsieur to be a citrus chypre without a hint of powder! I wear it regularly now and am well on the way to a second bottle. So, better late than never, I guess.

14 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2012)

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

I have worn Bd'A several times now, and although I am not a huge fan of vanilla, I have decided that this fragrance develops the style of vanilla drydown that I enjoy. The oriental accords are heavenly, but what is really pleasing is that after 6 or more hours, after all the the other notes have taken their leave, the basenotes are still warm and comforting; as smooth as a superb single malt scotch or an exquisitely heady cognac.

14 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2011)

Pour Un Homme by Caron

We all have read about taste memory and the madeleines of Proust, or the ratatouille of Anton Ego, food critic, in the film Ratatouille. Of course, taste and smell are two senses inextricably entwined, physically, as well as psychologically. No small wonder that parfumiers blend complex molecules to recreate the delicious odours of bread or chocolate. Well this fragrance had a memory moment for me that was long forgotten, and deeply hidden.
    My first haircut at a traditional barbershop: age 4. Traumatic? Overwhelming? Emotionally charged? All three, and as such, fertile ground for indelible memory. The clipping, snipping, and shearing of my golden locks caused copious tears and wailing upset. Nearby, father was beaming as his regular coiffeur changed ragmop son into miniature gentleman. At the end, as sweet talc and soft brush eased the pain, and dampened comb smoothed and lightly scented the hair, the grand finale was a misting with the fragrance.
    It may or may not have been Caron, but while I was misting my sons' sweaters with Pour un Homme yesterday, suddenly time crumbled, and I was back in that barber chair reliving the moment that I first fell in love with that delightful, splendid lavender.

12 September, 2011

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

As I waved the scent soaked test paper under my nose, I was suddenly 14 again, buying patchouli oil in a head shop on yonge street in Toronto. The semblance was brief but poignant, as this fragrance developed and bloomed well beyond the linear scent of that oil. Well balanced and present, without being an overbearing bore.

02 September, 2011

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This fragrance is a good deceiver. I recommend that you try it on your skin, rather than on paper. Aromatic, airy, complex, exotic: adjectives that describe well the parts, but not the whole. Constructed carefully from interesting accords; absolutely masculine, and yet, not exclusively male.

01st September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2011)

Oud For Highness 75 by Krigler

The highest quality ingredients; masterfully balanced; impeccably designed. A wonderfully powerful fragrance that reeks of royalty.

31st August, 2011

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Reminds me of Creed's Baie de Genievre, just not so "in your face". Satisfyingly Longlasting; robust and complex to its dying moment.

29 August, 2011