Reviews by Leilahdancer

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

Like vanilla, it's nice. Nothing exceptional on me, however. I get a hint of spice, but not for long. And as mentioned already, sillage and logevity are minimal for me.

I actually prefer original Organza. Now that smells happy!

12 June, 2012

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Sweet soapy rose with very romantic, "girlie" feel. Not bad, but not my style.

Would be great if lightly applied on a young girl.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wonderful blend of ginger, honey, lemon & spice. Tobacco notes waft through on a regular basis as well.

VERY nice!

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Warm honey and smokey tobacco, with just the right touch of green.

Very nice for either gender!

24, Faubourg by Hermès

Lovely! Feminine, soft, classy but not anywhere near common.

An undefinable warm, womanly fragrance with a touch of spice.

A very comfortable scent. A joy to wear.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I have discovered that for me, a scent must have spice to be worth wearing. This one is very light but oh, so nice.

Carnations and incense with lots of powder. Very feminine, youthful and soft.
    Lovely.

05 January, 2012

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

I really don't know what made me try this one. Maybe because Poison scared me off and this one was listed as lighter?

VERY SOFT on my skin. I really have to sniff hard! Lovely white flowers with a hint of fruit to start, then shifts to a bit woodier note as the fruit fades. The soapy flowers are dominant the whole way through. Then it just fades away.

Overall, PP pretty llinear on me. No sillage or projection to speak of. My husband asked if I forgot to wear any perfume... I can totally see the dryer sheet comparison. I can't say this isn't pretty. When I asked someone to smell my wrist, they said it was wonderful. However, I prefer a scent that doesn't require that close of contact.

I think this is a perfectly fine office fragrance. It is pretty, feminine and demure. But I wouldn't pay this much for "fine".

01st December, 2011

Halston by Halston

This is for the current, drugstore version. After all the bad press, I was wary of this one, but really liked it on the tester card and had to give it a whirl. I wish the notes were here to give me a jumping off point. I'll have to rely on my own novice smeller...

At the top I mainly got powdery flowers with a strong mossy, woody undertone. The moss kept it from being too "girly" which I liked. Then the spices came out! I got cinnamon, clove and dare I say, curry? A note of sweetness has crept in, smoothing everything to an overall "warm" scent, without real distinctive notes.

Don't anybody throw anything, but it reminds me a little of Coco, which I adore.

Unfortunatelly, there's the sillage issue. I really enjoy a moderate amount of sillage, and this isn't load per se, but I find it "skreetchy". The skin scent is lovely, but the sillage is uncomfortable harsh.

26 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 October, 2011)

Guess by Marciano by Guess

I wore this almost exclusively last winter. It's rich and thick but not overly sweet. The sillage is lovely and I really like the cedar I detect in the drydown that tempers the vanilla a bit. I get lots of compliments when I wear it. Affordable too!

On wearing it again today after many months without smelling, I don't really find Marciano as "gourmand" as I used to. Maybe I'm getting better at picking out other notes? I'll have to try it again...

Overall, I still like it quite well.

05 October, 2011

Organza by Givenchy

The opening is almost sharp, it's so citrus/floral/spice. I find it very fun as well as difficult to describe.

The heart reads as spicy/woodsy floral, I don't pick up the fruitiness at all.

The amber really comes to the front in the drydown, but it is present throughout. The spices are always there, and I think that is what makes me like it so much.

The sillage is great, noticeable but not intrusive. The longevity is good too.

I bought a bottle and am really enjoying this!

03 October, 2011

No. 19 by Chanel

I thought of this one as very green. Maybe crisp is a better word. I get the florals and tart citrus, then the slightly warmer drydown.

I don't get the sex appeal part at all. This is almost cold to me, distant. I'm just not that kind of gal.

I find the overall result to be interesting, but shortlived.

22 September, 2011

Bois des Îles by Chanel

After all the positive reviews, I was excited to try this fragrance in the Les Exclusifs line.

I found it "nice". The standard Chanel aldehydic thing to start then flowers tempered with a bit of spice. The drydown was alright, but kept the floral notes for quite a bit. Maybe Coco's reserved little sister?

It's pretty and interesting, but not a head turner by any means. Perhaps my nose isn't educated enough to appreciate this one?

22 September, 2011

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Another fruity floral... the top notes are a bit aggressive and different, but the heart is kind of one dimensional. I don't get a specific flower, just FLORAL (in BIG letters). The drydown is nice if predictable.

Minimal sillage and reasonable longevity. I prefer fragrances that I can smell on myself without actually sniffing my arm or shirt. I have to go looking for this one, so not one I'd reach for normally. It's fading now, after 8 hours.

And I think the bottle is UGLY.

21st September, 2011

Skin Musk / Bonne Bell Skin Musk by Prince Matchabelli

What can I say? I like it. I agree it has something in common with Shalimar. It's a bit sweeter, but definitely not candy.

For the price, I'll take my spicy, vanilla musk fix in Skin Musk, any day.

17 September, 2011

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Very "artificial" fruit and flowers. Really smells like sour candy on me. All pineapple and sugar. Thank goodness it faded away in a couple of hours.

This may be great on some, but I really don't even like to eat artificial fruit flavors. Certainly don't want to wear them.

13 September, 2011

Coromandel by Chanel

On our trip to Las Vegas I visited about a dozen perfume retailers to sample a long list of researched and recommended scents. I was searching for a new primary fragrance. I thought I wanted a floriental with a bit of spice. What did I know?

My first stop should have been my last. At the Chanel store in the Wynn, Jessica was most helpful and I was able to enjoy all of the frags available. I've no idea why I waited until last to try Coromandel. Everything I sniffed was nice, but not me. Classy, wonderful accords, but lacking what I want from a fragrance. I wanted a rich scent that pushed the limits a little. These Chanels were lovely,. On someone else. My gourmand-y heart wanted more. More a flavor, than a fragrance.

Then came Coromandel. One sniff and my eyes lit up. This, this was the one! I wanted it, but intended to do much more sniffing that day, so declined to actually test. Six hours and ten stores later, I was back. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Rich spices with a patchouli edge, just enough vanilla to lend sweetness. And a creamy whiff of chocolate throughout. All of this and without smelling like a cookie.

Wore it to a show that night and I could catch a hint every time I applauded. The sillage was perfect. My seat mate commented that she noticed it on occasion as well, and thought it was very nice. Who would have guessed that Chanel made a gourmand pleasing lovely like this. I am in love!

12 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2011)

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I have to say I am an oriental/gourmand kind of girl and was hesitant about Fracas.

No more! Most florals to me seem watered down, candy childish or hesitant in their composition. Not Fracas. This is a woman with confidence. Not syrupy or old-lady artificial. Just a lovely, unashamed tuberose with citrus for sparkle and a woody warmth.

Now, this is the way to do floral!

12 September, 2011

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I love the top notes on this: crisp, spicy floral and fruit. Once that calms down, the middle is a little overblown, fruity floral. Like a teenager's scent. But I really enjoy the warm, spicy, musky drydown.

I'm glad it's not expensive, as I wouldn't want to pay a lot for it. But I wouldn't mind owning a bottle, at all.

Sillage and longevity were spot on.

07 September, 2011

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Well, now. I've worn J'Adore EDP for a few years now, but I have only recently begun to expand my understanding of fragrance. I really wish the notes were listed for this, because I'm sure my ignorant nose will miss all the good stuff!

I like the opening with fresh, white flowers and bit of soap. The middle came on as quite soapy and I don't like it quite as well. The dry down though... that I love. A little musk with some floral and hint of fresh baked cookie.

The sillage has been perfect, so far. I've only had it on for three hours now. We'll see how the longevity goes.

My new education tells me I still like this, but I wish the middle was less soapy.

07 September, 2011

Coco by Chanel

*** UPDATE: 09/22/11 I am definitely more pleased with each wearing! I agree with other reviews in that this one seems to grow on you with time. While I absolutely LOVE Coromandel, Coco is more "comfortable". I can actually see me wearing it to rake leaves, shopping for used books, a date for pastry & coffee. Yes, I like it. :)

Today I sniffed Coco by Chanel for the third or fourth time. Decided to wear it. I took some steps to add a little longevity and I have to admit, I like it better this time. I loved the spicy, "sparkling" stuff at the beginning. The middle fell a little flat. I'm beginning to think I may not like jasmine? Then the base stepped up. I really enjoy the scent's warmth and hint of spice, but must say, I wish it ws "more". More spice, more heat more sweetness, more smoke, more something!

This is considered such a classic, I'll probably try it again, but so far, cannot justify a bottle...

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2011)

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This one is a different fragrance, that's for sure. It started off very nutty to me, like coconut macaroons or hazelnut coffee. I didn't pick up any floral scent at all. That lasted for quite a while, then moved into a more floral tone, but still earthy and a bit nutty yet. Then the base slid into vanilla/chocolate and it's lovely now. The sillage is amazing! I love that someone four feet away gets it, but with three sprays from a sample vial, it's not overpowering.

I really like the final stage, but it took 7 hours to get here! This stuff must last forever!

I really love some gourmands, but I don't prefer to smell like a cookie. Especially for the price of Black Orchid.

I love the sillage, and the longevity. Just wish I like the top and middle better. Neutral from me.

30th August, 2011

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I have to say, I was prepared to hate this, but I don't. I love gourmands, strong florals and many florientals. It was offered as a sample by an undertrained SA at Dillard's and i dropped it into my bag intending to toss it at the next opportunity.Then it was actually recommended to me by another Basenoter. So I dug it out and have now worn it twice in three days.

It's actually quite nice. It's a heady blast of woody spice at first, then settles into this almost secretive musky(?) vanilla drydown. I like that it wafts up to my nose occasionally but doesn't radiate for six feet in every direction.

Overall, I like it. It seems rich enough for me, but comfortable for the office, too.

29 August, 2011

Shalimar by Guerlain

First try with this, strong oriental vibe, loved the bergamot but it faded quickly. Liked the scent overal. I totally missed the iris, but my husband thought it smelled like "baby powder". Interesting spicy tone in a nice soft vanilla base. It didn't last on me very well. About 6 hours and it was gone.

I will try this one again, but kind of disappointed so far.

***Update 10/15/11***
    Maybe my first trial was a stale sample, this time is much nicer! Now I pick up the iris notes as well, that's part of the powder I think. Husband likes it better this time, too.

Very nice! : )

26 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2011)

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

I got a strong shot of citrus, followed by sweet flowers with a tea undertone. Then nothing... it just faded away in no time flat.

Overall, a bland scent that doesn't stick around long. I'd be better served getting a deodorant spray at the drug store. So not worth the price.

26 August, 2011

Poison by Christian Dior

Maybe I overdid it with two sprays, but WOW! This stuff is intense. I love gourmands and orientals, but this is scent that can easily wear you, rather than the other way around. I think it's very over the top and brash. Too fruity-spicy. Maybe I'm dating myself, but it seems juvenile to me.

26 August, 2011