Reviews

Reviews by hyblaean

Tubéreuse by Annick Goutal

First smell. Something in this I like- it's dirty, but compellingly organic. mmm
Second smell. Oh dear god why did I put it on both wrists? I'm starting to feel nauseous.
-------------------
10 min in, getting a headache. My dogs are not best pleased.

no, just no. Hot tires and some rottingish undercurrent. yuck. It's sort of like skunk- a little smells interesting, alot makes you wish you were anywhere else. Time to scrub.
13th February, 2014

Gardénia by Chanel

A clean, pretty, simple smelling gardenia on me. Strong water and green notes. A very young and sweet fragrance, not the slightest bit funky or chemical. 20 min into it, it's already starting to fade. Not morph, not develop- fade.
:D I still really like it. Bet I could wear it all times of the month and in all moods and not get a screaming headache.
03rd November, 2012

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

first contact- menthol, toilet bowl cleaner, fake flowers- cannot get my nose far enough away from my wrists
after 10 min- lilacs and tuberose on me, smells like a very strong yankee candle version of those scents
after 30 min- creamier, deeper, much nicer (although my spouse liked it better at 10 min)
after 1 hr- starting to get a bit shrill. Not sure how to describe this. Maybe I'm just getting sick of it.
after 3 hrs- excellent longevity, still very much a presence, but more green and likable now. If it started and ended like this I'd get a whole bottle.

Agree with everyone else the opening is strong, almost headache inducing for me, but the mellow version that follows is wearable by anyone who likes Tuberose. This will never be one of my favorites, but I'll indulge in the sample now and again just to revisit the scent.
09th September, 2012

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

piquant it's not, more like cheap and forgettable. At least I didn't have to scrub it, since it burned off in less than an hour.
05th June, 2012

Jeux de Peau by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

(a nice) Sandalwood, hot butter and pepper :) that's what shows up on my skin. I would never buy a full bottle since it smells too masculine for regular wear, but will enjoy the sample from time to time.
03rd April, 2012

Tubérose Indiana by Creed

My favorite scent is Fracas, and compared to that this is the weak sister. That said, it is a gorgeous scent. Lovely and calm. Wearable to the office, since it has a lasting time of about 5 minutes (full bloom) on me. Very quiet, close to the skin, creamy tuberose.
25th March, 2012

mb01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Smells like a man's citrus aftershave on my skin. I think on drier, cooler skin it might smell elegant.
13th March, 2012

Madeline by Ava Luxe

The opening is the killer for me. It's reminiscent of over-spiced eggnog with everclear in it. It's mellowing as I write this, but still too harsh for a room spray, much less anything more personal. Some comfort scent :p
......................
coming back to this later...oranges balance clove/allspice nicely, milk, not so much. It's good to know. Makes me wonder how eggnog can smell so good, when all the components here, just don't.
10th March, 2012

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

5 overall rating, 3 longevity.
This would be great on someone else. I burn the fragrance off in a few minutes, which makes it smell too dirty, confused and just not me, hence the neutral.
There is also this one particular scent in it that I don't care for at all. It's in quite a few perfumes (good ones) and is a deal breaker for me. Wish I knew what the heck it was.
24th January, 2012

Shalimar by Guerlain

One of the ugliest, most pervasive scents known to man, next to cat pee.

The staying power is, of course, excellent.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

the orange out powers the tuberose, which should not happen :D makes me happy for some reason. Right up there with Fracas and Carnal Flower for balancing power vs. grace.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

really, really bad. A combination of fusty old lady wardrobe and urine. Not sure if that is the fragrance alone, or my chemistry with this fragrance.
Aloe, White Lily, Myrrh, Frankincense, White Musk? wow, how did those wonderful scents birth this monstrosity?

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Love this scent, but if ever a fragrance needed to come in a 5 ml roll on, it's this one. I just spent the entire day apologizing to people "I swear I only sprayed it once." Going to surf the internet for tips on how to not smell like a room monopolizing jerk while still wearing Giorgio...there must be a way.
10th January, 2012

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

Smells like cherry cough syrup, mothballs, almond candy and some sort of old fashioned perfume thing I've smelled in other perfumes but don't know the name for...
I hate it, which is good because it's too expensive for me anyway.

fades into tobacco and resin (and nasty cherry cough syrup) after 20 min on oily hot skin- wish it would both start and end this way
23rd October, 2011

Kiss me Tender by Nicolaï

Currently my favorite scent, and out of the samples I've tried through "The Perfumed Court" the best heliotrope on my skin. I can wear this perfume throughout the month and not get a headache. Perfect.
11th September, 2011

Barbara Bui by Barbara Bui

Smells like chemicals, metals and the industrial strength baby powder air freshener they use at work (on my skin). Cannot get it off fast enough :(
Scratching this one off my quest for the perfect heliotrope scent.
11th September, 2011

Prada Candy by Prada

Longevity is good...unfortunately on me. First the scent was gourmand and delicious, then after an hour it broke down into a heavy musk- softly sweet, but cloying and not to my taste. It's still very there after 4 hours now. I doubt I'd fill a room with scent, but it's strong enough to continually be a presence.
01st September, 2011