Reviews by davido22

Homme (Aoud) by Martine Micallef

I like this one a lot although it took me a while to wrap my nose around the gourmand aspect of the scent. There is a dense dark oud lurking behind a salt caramel outer wrapping that offset me at first but now really tickles my fancy.

26 November, 2011

1869 by Acca Kappa

When I want a classic masculine scent this is my go-to-guy. I don't wear it frequently, I usually like something cut from a more mysterious landscape, but for old-school spice and leather that leaves my mind sharp and my body fresh this does the trick.

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a very dark floral as it collides with cedar and has the power to invoke a mood which in me is moodiness, not a desirable effect personally but very well done. I think it may be slightly feminine to my senses and I would rather smell it on a woman than myself.

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

The whole Bond line really bothers me. I think its the hype it gets from so many people and the way it has saturated the market more than the fragrances stand alone. For some reason all the Bond frags smell like a fruity Lifesaver on first note. I do get some vague sense of oud in here, but I really have to search and perhaps convince myself that it is there. The scent to price ratio is a real turn-off and if there's any natural oud i this I will eat a bowl of agarwood chips.