Reviews by Sadie

Sadie's avatar

Sunwater by Lancaster

The list of ingredients that I found on another site are radically different from the ones listed above . . . and unfortunately my expectation was based on those rather than the ones here.

For me, this fragrance was wwaaayyyy too much water and very little sun. However, the version that I purchased wasn't perfume or even edp . . . it didn't even seem as "strong" as cologne - more along the lines of an 'after bath splash' of the weakest sort.

22 November, 2011

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I adore this scent!!! I don't even remember how I stumbled upon it - perhaps I was exploring the newer (to me) Chanels after falling in love with Coco. Anyway, to my novice perfuming mind it is a fragrance for colder times - but I only figured that out through experience. I found that I just wasn't reaching for the bottle during the summer - but now that the mornings are turning chilly, I am again remembering how much I love it.

I don't know Allure (plain) so for me this is an independent scent with no positive or negative associations with the name 'Allure' affixed at the beginning. And it is a seductive scent, sensual, exactly as the name says.

I read somewhere that is has been discontinued. I must stock up or else next fall when the weather again turns chilly, I will have this perfume to warm my blood!

08 October, 2011

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Am I the only one who smells a burst of sulfur when this scent is first applied? I've never experienced this before - perhaps my mind is playing tricks with my olfactory nerves and it's the actual sulfurous burning breath of a dragon that overwhelms me.

It's as if I'm at the entrance of the dragon's lair and the first scent I smell is it's sulfurous breath. Will the other notes begin to appear as I get closer to the beast itself? After all, according to the name, I must get near enough for 'le baiser' . . . Will I be taken in by the golden eyes with their vertical slits gleaming emerald? Light glinting off the edges of his scales, hear the sharp click of claws upon the stone floor . . .

Indeed the sulfur is abating, or perhaps I've become accustomed to it by now so that I no longer feel it's sharpness in my nose as I venture closer into the lair . . . I know his treasures contain gilded bottles of rare oils and perfumes . . . yes, I am starting to sense their flowery vapors wafting forth on the hot wind of his breath

I wonder if he has had lunch yet?

01st October, 2011

Azzaro 9 by Azzaro

I have finally found a fragrance where the top and the heart are very defined to my ignorant nose! The only thing that I can say about the top is that there was something involved that my nose did NOT like and the only way to describe it is that it bothered the left side of my nose (sorry to not be more understandably descriptive).

Now that it's in the heart portion, that unpleasant buzzy sensation has gone away and I'm smelling one very strong flower scent. Is this what tuberose smells like? I wish I knew.

I'm giving it a neutral ranking because the positive heart cancels out the negative top. I don't know what the base note will be like - or if I will even notice it.

26 September, 2011

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

I was really looking forward to receiving my bottle of this - only to learn that I can not wear it. I adore using grapefruit shower gels, very emotionally uplifting! I was hoping that the fragrance would have the same effect. Alas, after wearing it for around 5-10 minutes something happens that adds a nasty "off" note that completely ruins the scent event. The off note is so persistent that my only choice is to scrub it off.

I chalk it up to my "Guerlain curse". There seems to be NO Guerlain scent that I can wear. Not Shalimar, not Samsara, and now neither of the Aqua Allegorias that I have tried. The only one that I'm still willing to try is Jicky - if I can find a vintage bottle in my price range.

23 September, 2011

Venezia (original) by Long Lost Perfume

I still have 1/3 of a large bottle of the original and I still love it!! Why do so many of my favorite perfumes keep being discontinued? As a matter of fact, I cannot even find one of them in this Directory!

Wow - I'm looking at the Ebay listings below this review box, and someone is selling what appears to be the large bottle of the original Biagiotti EDT (and EDT is the strength that you want - trust me) for less than $20!! But I digress . . .

I know that it isn't listed as one of the original ingredients, however I have always smelled leather in the drydown phase of this. Has anyone else also had that experience? I believe that this could very well now be classed as a 'unisex' fragrance. If you find a bottle of the original, at a reasonable price, buy it, if not for yourself, then for your best friend, male or female, who likes to wear strong, adventurous, unisex fragrances. But warn them to use it sparingly the first time.

15 September, 2011