Reviews by Panther

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Major contrast to most of my spice/wood/tobacco style fagrances.This is fresh and light almost to the point of acidity initially, but bear with it and lingering hidden depths appear. Great daytime summer wear. The original version is a classic, those tried of the multitude of spin-off variations on the theme Miyake has launched have not surpassed it. This is the one replaced in Panther Towers time and again.
13th September, 2011

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

One of my all time favourites. No trendy cool packaging - looks like an old-fashioned bottle of medicine, and comes in a cheap feeling course cardboard box. But who cares - pretty bottles are for her dressing table. Tired of 101 designer fragrances that are minor variations on a theme and met at every turn, office, bar, club? Eau des Baux is strongly distinctive, unusual, with oriental spiciness in spades. It will doubtless be a bit too sweet for some - Mrs Panther quite likes it on me, but opines that it takes a few hours before the wood masculinity subsumes the feminine vanilla enough for her nostrils. And its power and longevity is immense: apply with caution.
13th September, 2011

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Partner bought me this, and she likes it on me more than I do to be honest. There's nothing wrong with it, the spice middle notes are its best feature, and there's a luxuriant creamy warm feel to the aroma. One can see why it appears to be popular with many women on their men. However for me it is not interesting and distinctive enough. Should she fork out for another bottle there will be no complaints, but wouldn't buy it for myself. There are preferable options with more umph and wow factor than The One.
12th September, 2011

Ungaro pour L'Homme III by Ungaro

Expected to like this a lot: ticks a lot of the boxes of the type of fragrances I go for. And yet, and yet......does nothing for me at all. Smells good in the bottle, I get the spice underlying the fresh lavendar, and then it hits my skin and..........nothing. Vanishes like morning mist in the sun. Others pick up on it when I'm wearing it, and most comment has been favourable, but I lose awareness of its presence within minutes. My loss I fear, especially as the price is very competitive, but for that reason this first bottle will be my last.
12th September, 2011