Reviews by orangefiction

orangefiction's avatar
    orangefiction

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

I bought this one because I wanted to try something that smelled like le male. It smells like mint and vanilla toothpaste it is very strong and I do not like it at all!

06 October, 2011

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Powdery and smokey notes over the original l'homme base can come off as having a perfumey smell. Projects like a beast. I much prefer the original fresh and clean l'homme. If you want powdery done right I would go with l'instant instead of this one.

25 September, 2011

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very similar to tobacco vanille. I get that cinnamon/ fruitcake smell. Kind of out there but it smells great. Very strong so use as little as possible for the best results.

Although I like this one a lot I don't love it enough to spent more than $100 on it, and the same is true with the tom ford one. I don't get musk at all. Also I don't think of this as a sexy smell, more like warm and comforting, so maybe a little misleading.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Very nice. The vanilla is very strong in this one and the rubber faded pretty quickly. This would be boring without the rubber smell but if you like a lot of vanilla this is a good one.

Déclaration by Cartier

This is disgusting. Smells like a room filled with Indian food (probably the cardamom) and body odor. I love Indian food but not combined with body odor!

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Sweet fruity smells good. Safe versatile scent good for many occasions.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Smells like orange flowers gradually fading into that great MI/ unforgivable smell. This one is definitely unique and likely to be a more polarizing scent than MI as well. I don't think anyone can hate the smell of watermelon Starburst candy but orange flowers may not be everyone's cup of tea. This one lasts longer and projects stronger than MI for me.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Has a soap smell and not in a good way. I love the smell of soap because its clean and natural smelling. Mugler cologne doesn't smell natural at all it has some synthetic notes that really turn me off.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

The opening is exactly like eating a juicy watermelon Starburst candy. After more testing I agree this deserves the hype it gets. It is just so fresh throughout the life of the scent. Projection and longevity is not as bad as I first had thought. And there is a wow factor I don't get with unforgivable although they smell similar. MI starts off with fresh watermelons and SMW starts of with some kind of flower but they end up smelling the same to me. If quality is what you are after you can't go wrong with this one.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Smells like incense and rose. I also get the temple/ headshop/ hippie feel people have mentioned. This is not an everyday scent and I wouldn't even say that it smells good. I can see artists and musicians wearing this one. I might wear this to goth clubs, concerts, and costume parties. It's an interesting smell but the occasions to wear it for me are limited.

This is a lot more interesting then I first thought. There's soap. There is also a resin/ pot smell somewhere in there. It is more of a clean hippie rather than a dirty hippie smell. I think the mental image is a guy with a couple of tattoos dressed nicely for the office.

23 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2011)

Unforgivable by Sean John

This gets hated on because of its similarities to creed but I think it does a great job of copying a very expensive fragrance and making it more affordable. You can get a 1.7 oz bottle of this for $20 where I live. The smallest creed 1.0 oz bottle is about $100 on sale. I guess I can kind of see where the hate is coming from fans of creed as it devalues this expensive smell and now most people would think you are wearing unforgivable instead of silver mountain water. Further testing is needed but my first impression smelling these two together is that they are almost the same, with the creed being slightly better and higher quality. Creed wins for being the first to make the scent, being a little stronger, and having a much better looking bottle but for me if all you are looking for is a nice smell that smells expensive but it's not, I would go for unforgivable.

Greenergy by Givenchy

I am new to this so I might be completely off but it reminds me of a light version of fahrenheit. I get a oily green (vetiver?) note so fans of fahrenheit might want to check it out. It smells ok but doesn't really stand out to me.

The dry down on this is very nice mossy smell. I don't care for the fahrenheit smell in the beginning but if you wait long enough the oiliness goes away (it was overnight for me) and it develops a very pleasant moss smell.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I love the cocoa in this. My first impression was that it was high quality and expensive smelling perfume I just don't like how it becomes powdery. Seems more of a formal scent to me so I don't know how often you can wear this maybe to weddings, church, formal dinners etc. I really want to try the extreme version as I heard there is more cocoa in it! Both versions gets points for bottle design too and I especially like the black glass in the extreme version.

I am King by Sean John

This smells really good. I can barely smell it but it smells like strawberries. At $20 for the 1.7ml when you can find it on sale I think it's worth buying.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2011)

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

This one is just ok for me. I was hoping for something close to pure malt and while it has similarities the tobacco note doesn't quite do it for me (actually it just smells vaguely green but doesn't smell like tobacco).

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sharp green and flowery opening not for me. I guess it doesn't smell too bad when it dries down but the opening on this one bothers me.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I only tried this once but the scent was too sharp and harsh for me. I will try it again when I have the chance to see if I will change my mind about this one.

Chrome by Azzaro

Apparently this is one of the most popular colognes. I only recently started trying different colognes so the scent is new to me and smells pretty good. I can see how smelling it all the time on other people might effect someone's perception, but as someone new to colognes I think this smells good.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I like the bottle design but the smell is strange and unpleasant. It is definitely unusual and doesn't smell like anything else I have tried.

Happy for Men by Clinique

A nice smelling every day scent. Easy to wear and nothing special but I like it.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Christmas/ fruit cake smell. I didn't like this at first because it is too strong. But just use a little and it will smell great.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Smells good. I think its a modern mature scent. I personally wouldn't wear it until I am over 50.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Way too strong and sweet for me.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very strong oily mechanical smell. Definitely not everyone can pull it off. I can't see myself wearing it but I guess it works for some people.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I am glad I jumped on the bandwagon this smells great and deserves all the hype it gets. Very original scent. The only cologne I would pay full price for.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I get a candy/ high end department store/ expensive lotion smell from this and I really like it.