Reviews by mrblah

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

It smells like Dior Homme Intense without the lipstick/makeup note. It has a really smooth sweet, powdery floral finish, similar to DHI. I didn't really get the leather note in this fragrance though. Therefore it is a bit one dimentional, but it is very versatile. You can wear this pretty much any time of the year and with any type of attire.

Since I don't really crave attention with my frags, I really enjoy this fragrance for what it is, a clean, fresh and warm fragrance. However, if you want something similar to DHI without the lipstick note, then this fragrance is for you. IF you want the lipstick note and a overall more complex frag, then stay with DH/DHI.

This to me is a perfect everyday scent.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2011)

Rochas Man by Rochas

I love this gourmand scent.

Rochas Man smells like hot chocolate or mocha/vanilla latte with a floral opening, but the projection and sillage is not as intense as Amen. Its very discrete, which I tend to prefer. I could wear this everyday in a office environment, on a date, or just hanging out. You can wear it in hot/cold environments. Also, did I mention that this is probably the least expensive gourmand frags out there.

01st November, 2011

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

While this isn't for the young and the teenie boopers, all I can say is I love this fragrance. It starts out with a strong lipstick/makeup vibe with hints of cocoa, that tones down to a powdery/floral vibe with hints of pears, and lipstick. Projection and sillage is about average.

The only negative aspect of this fragrance is that it can be almost too feminine, b/c of the lipstick/makeup vibe, and the smell of babypowder doesn't help either. The cocoa is there to make it more masculine, but I find that note to be fleeing at best. Their isn't anything animalistic about it. Its a very beautiful scent, almost too beautiful. If they made it more animalistic, it would be perfect. This fragrance wouldn't be out of place on a women's skin either. As someone said in a earlier review, its "enchanting". It truly is.

Many people will compare this to YSL La Nuit, and other being in the same genre, its totally different. I would say YSL is easier to pull of with someone younger, and DHI for someone older. Overall, DHI isn't as sweet or as floral as YSL, and DHI smells cleaner to the nose. YSL has more going on in terms of notes, but DHI is smoother and a better quality fragrance, especially in the transition from topnotes, to middle, to basenotes, etc.

With that said, DHI is more versatile, can be worn almost anywhere. YSL can also be worn anytime, but its more suited at night b/c of the sweetness. I own both and love both. If I can only own one, it would be DHI.

20th October, 2011

1818 by Brooks Brothers

If money had its own fragrance, this would be it. If you wear a suit everyday, and you sit in a corner office, this fragrance is for you. If you are an old-school egomaniac, this is for you.

1818 is boozey, linear, vanilla, and over powering, almost borderline cheap and generic smelling....so be forewarned.

I give it a thumbs up because you will get comments that you smell like "old money".

19 October, 2011

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

It starts off smelling like a sweeten, unlit vanilla cigar. A very nice and warm tobacco flavor, but for some reason, the drydown smells like playdough (probably due to the transition from tobacco to vanilla).

The playdough smell wouldn't be a problem normally, but like all the others in the Amen collection, Pure Havane has great projectivity and sillage, so the question is? Do you want to smell like play dough for 12 hours +?

Other than that, this is very masculine, and will do well in the winter time or in the evening time. You may get away with it during other seasons, because the dry down isn't sweet at all (becomes predominantly vanilla), which is a good thing (starts out sweet, but the sweetness mellows out), but keep in mind Pure Havane projects for a very long time, and it isn't exactly a complex fragrance to begin with.

If you are looking for a complex fragrance, this isn't for you. If you want a classy tobacco flavor, than look no further.

Interesting to say the least, but not the most versatile or complex fragrance out there.

11th October, 2011

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The floral notes is very good, and the floral theme dominates the whole experience. Nothing about this fragrance is "loud". Its very subtle and delicate. Its not a complex fragrance by any means, but because it isn't that complex, it is a very versatile fragrance. Its not an attention grabber, and its not meant to be. Sometimes, you don't want to wear something that says "Hey, smell me."

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I have to admit I HATED THIS fragrance when I first tried it on. The sharp, tangy orange is way too overpowering, especially when mixed with the cedar scent. I wanted off my skin, but once you get passed the top notes, and the orange/cedar tones down a bit.........their is a sweet, peppery floral undertone that begins to dominate. Now that undertone is on the money. Its not too masculine, not too sweet, not too synthetic, not too floral....its perfection.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Out of all the fragrances that I've owned or sampled. I feel there is too much going on. You have woody, smokey, incense, sweet, and on top of all that you have musc. It doesn't really fade away either, to a dominant scent. It smells very medicinal too me, like those old chinese herbal stores.

Aventus by Creed

Not worth the price.

I liked the opening notes, and middle notes. It starts off fruity, then woody, but I can't get over the end notes. Its very "department store like". Its almost too perfect that it borders on boring. There is not enough character for the price this fragrance commends.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I don't love or hate this fragrance. I personally love sweet fragrances, but this one is very linear. When you put this on, you will smell like sweet, orange candy. 15 hours later, you will STILL smell like sweet, orange, fruity candy. I can see why this is a clubbing scent, because if you are clubbing, you want a strong, sweet smell, and you wouldn't care about complexity. Now if I was stuck in a office building, and I had to smell the same candy smell all day long, I would not be happy.

Can't go wrong with price, but I would rather pay more for a little more complexity.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I love Penhaligon's and love them for their complex and conservative fragrances. However, I can't get myself to wear BB. To me it smells like lemon head candy w/ pine, which makes the fragrance even more "tart". IF you are use to Penhaligon's other offerings, BB is very one dimensional. I don't fault Penhaligon's, because its one of their first offerings and its a sign that times change.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Too expensive for what it is. While it starts off floral and sweet, that transforms to a predominant incense fragrance. I was impressed with the topnote, but not too impressed with the base note.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It starts off wonderfully complex, woody, spicey, and sweet. However, after a while all I was left was a pipe tobacco scent. It literally smelled like pipe tobacco, and while I enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco, its not something I want as the predominant scent.

Also, I can only see this being worn during the winter and at night, and you must really love tobacco.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Is this a complex masterpiece??? Yes. Does it mean I would wear it? No.

It has a predominate incense and amber smell, that goes to floral so it gives a dark, exotic, and spicy vibe. This is also one of those fragrances that the wearer might like it, and everyone else in the room might not, especially if they are not use to the incense notes.

I can't think of an occasion I would wear this and enjoy it.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

You have to really like caramel to wear this fragrance. I own it, and I can only wear it on cold nights, because it adds an air of warmth anywhere you go. Keep in mind, this fragrance is very overpowering and lasts a very long time. Everywhere I go, I leave a trail of caramel goodness, whether I wanted to or not.

I gave it a neutral rating because its not very versatile. It really reminds me of a caramel mocchiato from starbucks.

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this. No its not a complex fragrance by any means, which makes it pretty versatile to wear. It has a very sweet floral scent.

Endymion by Penhaligon's

I've owned a few Penhaligon fragrances, and pretty much sampled all of them. To me, Endymion is one of the most versatile fragrances in their line up, and because of its versatility, it can be somewhat "boring". It seems that all the other Penhaligon fragrances are so complex that you can't wear them all the time (LP No 9, Opus 1870). Endymion is as complex as it can while still appealing to the general masses.

Endymion starts off with a sweet floral note, and becomes very powdery and dry, with subtle hints of amber and musk. It really is a beautiful, and clean smelling, but it is not very complex (the notes don't change drastically). Because of this, people complain that this Endymion not sophisticated enough to be in Penhaligon's lineup, or it smells like another "designer fragrance", and I have to kind of agree with them.

However, Endymion is extremely versatile. You can wear it year around and in any setting. Its also a great fragrance to introduce people to the Penhaligon's lineup, because while it is not a complex frag, it is a very beautiful scent that anyone can pull this fragrance off.

I find once people try Endymion, they are more open to trying other fragrances from Penhaligons.

I

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

This is by far the wildest fragrance from Penhaligon's lineup. To me it starts off smelling like Dr. Pepper/PIB or black licorice opening (some say stale bubblegum), that slowly transitions to cloves, and black pepper, and finally to a vanilla/amber/musk ending. There isn't anything sweet or airy about this scent. I don't think anything is sexy about this scent, but because its so rich and so complex, people will be intrigued by this scent.

I think you have to be really confident to pull this fragrance off. If you are confident you can wear this anywhere, but IMHO, its probably more suited for a formal, evening event.

If James Bond had a signature scent it would be LP No. 9.

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

I love this scent, but its not very versatile in terms of social environments. The cedar is very prominent in the beginning, and then it becomes a nice, complex floral smell, with a cedar background, and it remains this way for the next few hours.

I think this is a great fragrance in the office (or lumber yard), but outside of the office, not so much. It makes me feel like "a dependable and reliable working bee, working for the greater good of the hive". Other than that you can wear it through out the year, but it probably does better in the cooler months.

I wouldn't try to wear it with a polo n jeans, or on a date, or just hanging out with friends. It really is a complex, yet conservative fragrance. If this is your first Penhaligon's fragrance, there are more versatile offerings such as endymion. Now if you want a complex woodsy, cedary fragrance to add to your daily rotation, then this is the one you want.