Reviews by kushkov

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

One of my favorite clean scents. Opening is a bit rough a lot of very sharp aldehydes, but the dry down is awesome. Clean soapy flowers, lavender and woods. I would say it can definitely be unisex.
24th February, 2012

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

Wow, now this is what a musc should smell like.

Off the top: Dark, earthy, spicy... wet fur? yes... fecal? hmm, maybe. Very animalic. Drydown is truly beautiful. Rose, civet, soap musk, and a bit of honey. The smell of sun-warmed skin. As another reviewer said, truly effortless to enjoy. I find this the sexiest smell I could smell on a woman. Truly, this is beautiful, give this a chance beyond the first hour.
25th December, 2011

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This was the second gourmand scent that I smelled after Rochas Men. I find it amazing. While I also own the original Angel and consider it better, I find Angel too feminine too wear on most occasions.

The opening is quite strong and I find very interesting. At first fresh, bergamot, citrus but quickly fleeting into a coffee, chocolate and caramel. Can smell like burnt chocolate from up close (probably from the tar) but is very nice from a distance. Drydown is truly sublime. Caramel, chocolate and vanilla all blended together over a powdery base. A smell of sweet, baked goods.

I get over 15 hours of longevity, and good projection from the beginning to the end.
24th December, 2011

Aramis by Aramis

Wow, this stuff is really strong. 1 spray is all I can tolerate. The note breakdown lists bergamot in the opening, but all I smell off the top is the middle notes. A strong myrrh smell with a bit of sage. I find it sweet, but not like gourmand sweet. More like sweet incense.

I get a strong leather in the drydown, that mixes with the myrrh. Maybe a little patchouli as well. I don't get any of the other basenotes. The leather note is very well done, and mixes with the myrrh perfectly. Overall, I don't find this unpleasant, but rather a mature sweet incense/leather smell. Don't think I'm old enough too wear this yet.
24th December, 2011

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Very inexpensive cologne. I get a lot of sourness in the opening, but it only lasts for a minute or two, then the sourness goes away and your left with a soapy, slightly powdery vanilla with a touch of lavender and spice. Smells almost identical to Le Male but nowhere near as strong. The drydown is also less sweet than Le Male.

I actually prefer this to Le Male, as this smell is really a casual/day wear for me and I find Le Male too strong for that. I actually do 4 sprays of Cuba Gold, and I usually never go over 2 for something a wear during the day. You can even get away with this in the warmer weather. I get about 8 hours for longevity.

Overall, great value for the price.
12th December, 2011

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I love the opening, very fresh, I get blood orange and a mix of citrus. Reminds me very much of the opening of many Joop! scents. (Especially Joop! Go.) It quickly turns into a very sweet candy smell, with a bit of leather and spice. The leather however is very light and very much in the background. The sweet candy smell really dominates the entire fragrance. I get over 12 hours longevity, and excellent projection.

The problem is, I find it quite linear, and after 5-6 hours of smelling the middle notes, which are basically a sweet orange candy, (not citrus orange, just overly sweet orange candy) I get tired of it. Another reviewer said he could see this as a child's scent, maybe something endorsed by a disney character and I agree. Smells very young, something a 12 year old girl might wear. I've smelled the woods and amber in the drydown on paper after 3 days. Never had the patients to leave it on my skin for that long.

Overall a sweet and spicy scent that's a bit too much for day wear, but might be good for a night out. I really like sweet frags, but this might be a bit too much.
23rd November, 2011 (last edited: 24th December, 2011)

Jaguar (new) by Jaguar

semi-sweet orange/citrus opening that quickly devolves into a synthetic floral mess. I get a little woods/musk in the drydown, but overall the cloying synthetic floral/alcohol smell dominates the entire fragrance. Not good. Not good at all.
20th November, 2011