Reviews by hoschhti

hoschhti's avatar
    hoschhti
    Germany Germany

Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal

Just out of curiosity I have ordered a sample of "Eau du Fier". I had no expectations, so I was neither terribly disappointed nor pleasantly surprised when I smelled it. Yes it is dark and dry, and yes it is smoky, but also very synthetic and one-dimensional. It is absolutely no competition for "Dark Aoud" and "Bois d’Ascese" respectively. Sniffed up-close it is dizzying, smelled from distance it smells like an ordinary shower gel/shampoo underlined with smokiness. Some compared it with smoked tea (Lapsang Souchong), but because I haven’t smelled the tea I can't confirm that. Although it is a very strong scent its longevity is quite short on my skin. "Eau du Fier" is already discontinued which is not not a big loss for the perfume-world and if I had never sampled it that wouldn’t be a tragedy either!

05 June, 2014

Bond-T by Sammarco

Whenever I hear the words "Chocolate" and "Gourmand" when it comes to perfumes I always make a quick turn, it's simply not my genre. I tried "Bond-T" (What does the name mean?) and was prepared to dislike it, but no, it’s great! Cocoa and Patchouli (together with Tonka and Vanilla) provide the framework for a very interesting note that is embedded in this frame. It could be Osmanthus which is listed as a note but I’m not sure because I don’t know how Osmanthus really smells, it could be also a facet of Patchouli. Anyway, this note smells at times like Tea and at times like Tobacco, and sometimes like the both together! This nice play of notes gives the perfume an incredible depth and sensuality: This amazing Tea/Tobacco-note is floating in a sea of Chocolate! The whole perfume is slightly animalic and smooth as a baby’s bottom. I don’t like the word "sexy" and I normally don’t use it but "Bond-T" definitely is a sexy fragrance! Like the other Sammarco-perfumes it's suitable for men and women. Being all-natural it can't compete with synthetic fragrances when it comes to longevity etc., but that's the price you have to pay if you want to experience a high-quality natural perfume! Me? I'm sold as "Bond-T" is so far the only Gourmand-perfume that I like!

Vitrum by Sammarco

"Vitrum" is a Vetiver-perfume that does everything right. For me Vetiver can be a tricky note because there are some aspects of Vetiver that I like and some not. I don’t like the grassy and overbearingly pungent Vetivers, some even smell like some kind of vegetable. I like my Vetiver smoky, dark and earthy. That’s what you get with "Vitrum". The Vetiver is pitch-black and streamlined, smoky and earthy, at times slightly metallic and even slightly rubbery, and very sophisticated (By the way, that's a quality that all Sammarco-perfumes have in common, they are able to showcase the raw power of the natural ingredients but at the same time they remain very elegant). Some Oakmoss highlights all the good aspects of the Vetiver even further. A good dose of pepper gives additional spiciness to the blend making it even more powerful. In "Vitrum" the Rose plays only a supporting role in the background providing some smoothness to the rather austere blend. Its development is quite linear, only the notes themselves (like the Vetiver) develop a bit, but not so much the perfume as a whole. It becomes quieter and maybe a bit mossier with tiny hints of Frankincense. A little bit criticism: In the late drydown it reminds me of "Terre d’Hermes", a perfume that I rather dislike. Longevity again is not the best and again the performance on fabric is better. The quality of the ingredients is outstanding. This perfume was originally created as a bespoke creation for a female person, but it's easily unisex, even leaning more towards the masculine side in my opinion. It is dandy-like and refined, I could see a person like Pep Guardiola from Bayern München wearing this fragrance! Overall "Vitrum" is a very compelling perfume and one of the best Vetivers I have ever smelled! I think it's also my favourite perfume from Sammarco.

What I like about the brand in general is that there are no fancy stories behind the perfumes. The perfumes and their quality speak for themselves and create their own stories together with the wearer. In the case of "Vitrum" one of the first things that popped up in my head was (not a joke) K.I.T.T., the car from Knight Rider! It must be the pitch-black and streamlined Vetiver that reminds of the body of the car and the Rose adding a blittle bit of redness reminds of the red light thingy in the front of the car. Indeed a very evocative perfume!

Alter by Sammarco

"Alter" is a gorgeous Jasmine (and Rose) perfume. Being all-natural the floral notes are not tamed but radiate with all their glory and an almost palpable quality, no aspect of the flowers is covered up, but it‘s still a very elegant perfume. After applying the Rose and Jasmine are on par, about half an hour later the Rose comes more to the center stage, leading then to a nice, slightly animalic drydown. There are other notes as well in "Alter", but I don’t pick them up consciously, they are just rounding out the fragrance. Longevity on my skin is not good (which is normal for all-natural perfumes), after about two hours the perfume turns into a skin scent for a few hours more. Performance on fabric is better. "Alter" is not a dark perfume but the Rose is of the darker kind and gives the perfume a mysterious sunset-vibe! Because of that it’s also easily suitable for men - no need to be afraid of florals! The quality of the ingredients is top-notch! For me personally the Rose is a bit too much emphasised. I am not the biggest fan of Rose in a leading role, that’s why it doesn’t surpass my favourite Jasmine-perfume "Tawaf" where the Rose is much more subdued. Nevertheless this is a great perfume for all Jasmine and Rose lovers who want to smell them in full bloom!

Blue Encens by Comme des Garçons

Disappointing! Flat and boring and totally unnecessary!

17 May, 2014

Konig by Yosh

"König" smells a bit like "Encre Noire" with some apples. The apple-note is not sweet, it's more like those green and refreshing apples, so it actually adds some coolness and freshness to the scent. It has a nice dry and smoky wood-note, but also like "Encre Noire" this synthetic smelling so-called "White Musk" which I dislike and I think there is also a hefty dose of Iso E Super in it. It has sharper edges than "Encre Noire" and it smells a bit more natural, but is still quite synthetic.

All in all it's okay but nothing groundbreaking. I expected a barbaric medieval king in a dark castle, but it smells more like Neuschwanstein!

05 April, 2014

Siskiyou Backpacker's Cologne by Juniper Ridge

Smells like a compost heap and triggers the gag reflex!

01st April, 2014

Venezia Giardini Segreti by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

"Venezia - Giardini Segreti" is after "Milano Caffe" the second perfume in the "Italian Series" by La Via del Profumo. It features notes of Jasmine, Rose, Herbs, Myrrh and real Ambergris.

"Venezia" has a wonderful and vivid Jasmine/Rose-combo, perfectly balanced and beautiful. I detect also something citrusy, could be lemon but also a nice and fresh frankincense. Either way it fits perfectly to the "Secret Garden"-theme. I don't really smell any Myrrh in "Venezia", but maybe it is intended to be that way, just adding some warmth and "mystery" to the scent. The Ambergris-base is not strong, but then again I have the feeling that I am partially anosmic to it. It's kind of funny because I don't really smell it consciously with my nose, I smell only a dry, woody note, a bit like cedarwood, but my brain tells me that there is something more that is making the perfume "big" and "alive". So I know that the Ambergris is there.

"Venezia" reminds me of Aftelier's "Sepia", but without the disgusting strawberry-note. "Sepia" is more complex, with more prominent woody notes, "Venezia" is simpler to my nose, but nicely blended and refined. I find "Sepia" totally misnamed as someone could expect a totally different perfume judged by the name, but the name "Venezia - Giardini Segreti" fits perfectly to Profumo's creation because it makes you really feel like sitting in a garden on a hot day and catching whiffs of fresh air from time to time when the wind is gently blowing.

All in all it is a very nice perfume for summer, and a must-try for all Jasmine and Rose lovers, especially for those who didn't like the Jasmine in "Tawaf" because it is much more tamed here. I don't know which perfume of the "Italian Series" I like more, "Milano Caffe" or "Venezia"? "MC" is much more complex to my nose, it's busy, really like sitting in a cafe with people talking and cars passing by. "Venezia" is simpler, more to the point with no distraction, truly like sitting in a garden, an oasis where you can leave everyday life behind and just relax.

18 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2014)

Winter Redwood Backpacker's Cologne by Juniper Ridge

Bottled boringness!

Smells like an old cough candy and is gone within minutes!

22 September, 2013

Acqua Santa / Holy Water by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Divine!

A joyful and friendly, 100% natural perfume in an EDC-style. Superb quality and blended to perfection. Weak longevity is the only downside.

Pros: Scent
    Cons: Longevity"

19 July, 2013

Incense Extrême by Tauer

Very architectural. The olfactory equivalent to the Guggenheim in Bilbao.

29 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2013)

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

This is one of the very few mainstream/synthetic releases that I like. It's surprisingly somber for an EdC, it has a slightly sad and melancholic feeling which I really enjoy. On my search for the ultimate "dark fragrance" is this a good milestone!

27 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2013)

Sharif by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This perfume doesn't seem to get as much attention as the other ones from Profumo.it get which is totally unjustfied! This is a very nice and refined perfume. Imagine making the same pilgrimage like in "Mecca Balsam", not on your feet but in a Rolls-Royce! This is the yuppie-version of "Mecca Balsam"!

27 January, 2013

Don Corleone by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This is one of the the few perfumes and the only one in Profumo's line yet where I don't know what to think of! It smells to me so unusual and different that I simply don't know if I like it or not. It consists only of three ingredients: Vanilla, Tuberose and Tobacco. Judged by the three ingredints you can already imagine how it smells like, right? No, you have no idea! Try it and you will see/smell what I mean. I sincerely hope that the people of Sicily are not as schizophrenic as the perfume is!

27 January, 2013

Norne by Slumberhouse

Sorry for staining Norne's clean shirt, but I have mixed feelings about the perfume: On my skin it smells perfect, but on fabric it develops a slightly unpleasant medicinal note and after a day or so it leaves a strange and even more unpleasant potpourri-like smell on it. I have to avoid that it comes in contact with my clothes. Okay, that's not a big problem, but unfortunately Norne has weak longetivity being on my skin alone.

18 January, 2013

Chillum by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Chilum consists only of three ingredients: Tobacco, Mysore Sandalwood and Ginger. The quality is top-notch! I gave it a neutral rating because it's simply not my style. It smells very old-fashioned to me, not that this is a bad thing, but at the age of 30 I feel like I have to wait at least 20 years to wear it with confidence. It has this "elder man sitting with a pipe in a leather armchair"-vibe! Another thing that is a bit distracting is the Ginger: I can't help it, but combined with the beautiful Sandalwood and the musty-dusty Tobacco, Chilum reminds me of smoked ham!

17 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2013)

Cuba Express by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This is the only perfume by La Via del Profumo where I don't hesitate to give it a thumbs down-rating. This stuff is hardcore, it's just too overpowering and even brutal! Well, maybe Fidel would like it!

17 January, 2013

Sepia by Aftelier

I really wanted to like this, but it leaves me totally cold. Judged by its name and the background story of abandonned gold cities I expected something much more woody and mysterious. "Sepia" is very feminine with a thin and high pitched jasmine-note and a headache-inducing, almost synthetic smelling strawberry-note. In the base it has a nice woody smell, but it has no chance against the top and middle notes. The only thing that I really like about this perfume is the ambergris that gives an animalic touch to it, and prevents it from getting a thumbs-down rating. All in all I find it very disappointing because it smells more like a summer-cologne for girlies and not like what its name promises!

21st November, 2012

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Remember the old Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies? In almost every movie there is a funny but also slightly disgusting "eating-scene". Especially when they eat a whole pan of beans and bacon, it turns my stomach upside down! With "Lonestar Memories" you get the olfactory equivalent of such scene. Disgusting bacon-like smoke with an even more disgusting sweetness that could easily come from the beans. I like most of the Tauer-perfumes and I think Andy is a really nice guy, but "Lonestar memories" is simply disgusting!

21st November, 2012

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In the beginning all I'm smelling is a slightly dirty, soapy and synthetic rose. After a while it starts smelling like my grandma! So you certainly understand that I don't want to smell like this! Totally overrated and absolutely not worth the buzz!

01st October, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2012)

Tawaf by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

"Tawaf" is the latest and last perfume in the "Arabian Series". This perfume only consists of two accords, an oppoponax-accord (together with other resins) and a jasmine-accord (together with rose and narcissus). It may sound simple and it is, but as it's often the case with 100% natural perfumes, it smells very interesting and quite complex because of the high quality ingredients and the nice interplay between the notes. I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of jasmine - or better said I wasn't. "Tawaf" kind of converted me and has really grown on me!

After applying the first thing that I smell is jasmine, jasmine and jasmine! Top quality and full of life! After a while the rose appears and plays hide and seek with the jasmine. This interplay is what makes "Tawaf" really enchanting, I really love that! I considered myself always as a "resin-guy", I would have never thought that I will rave so much about two flowers. The narcissus supports this interplay but stays in the background. The oppoponax-accord is a very shy one, it lets the jasmine get all the attention and provides a soft and quiet base. It surprised me that the oppoponax-accord disappears almost completely after a while, I always thought resins have better staying power. When the perfume dries down it leaves a very nice subdued scent on the skin that reminds me of chocolate mixed together with something animalic. I like this part a lot and I think it is the jasmine that transformed herself from a screaming rockstar that she is in the beginning to a cultivated and sensual lady at the end, but she is still a diva because she has to have the last word after the oppoponax-accord is already a long time speechless! Longetivity is quite good for a natural perfume, on my skin it lasts in "full bloom" for about two or three hours, after that it leaves this nice subdued smell that I mentioned for hours. Longetivity on fabric is much better than on my skin. All in all I must say that this is a very safe perfume. It's far away from being so "avantgarde" like "Gringo" or "Hindu Kush", but "Tawaf" is still a very nice perfume that did the wonder to turn me into a "floral-guy"! I would classify the perfume as unisex, but if there are some guys who think this could be too much jasmine for them, Profumo.it has another fantastic product in his portfolio, the "Tawaf Custom Blending Kit". This kit contains besides a small bottle (15,5 ml) of the "Tawaf"-perfume itself, the two accords ("Jasmine" and "Oppoponax") separated in two 6 ml dropper bottles, a small funnel and vials, all packed in a nice little wooden box. With this kit you can customise the perfume according to your taste. If you want it more resinous, simply add some "Oppoponax". If you want total "jasmine-overload", add some more of the jasmine-accord. The different blendind-techniques are explained on the website profumo.it. The blending kit is really great, you can play with it for hours! This is also a very nice and fun entry in the world of perfume-making. You can't really mess it up because the scent will always smell acceptable, no matter in which ratio you blend the accords. It also gives you the rewarding feeling that you created something on your own and didn't just consume a premade product!

28 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2012)

Indu Kush / Hindu Kush by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

"Hindu Kush" is one of the most aptly named perfumes I have ever come across. It smells exactly like the Hindu Kush-mountains look like: Very sparse, stony, airy and cold, with some woods underneath the mountains. I can even smell the wind blowing! There is just a little coziness in it, like sitting by a small campfire and trying to catch at least a little bit of warmth. Together with the somewhat mysterious "Mecca Balsam" is this my favourite perfume that I have sampled from the "Scents of the Soul"-line. Whereas "Mecca Balsam" is warm, uplifting and inviting, an indoor kind of smell, "Hindu Kush" is more grounded, rough and cold, an outdoor kind of smell, and I must admit that it's not always easy to wear 'cause it's so austere. Although the both perfumes are totally different, they share a certain quality that is able to put me in a meditative state of mind. Awesome stuff!

25 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2013)

Asrar Attar by Amouage

This one is really nice! The combination of orange blossom and rose smells very familiar and friendly, but the oud and the saffron give a medicinal edge to it. It's also very spicy, it almost feels "hot" in the nose! Absolutely unisex and in my humble opinion better than Homage or Tribute. The combination of warm top-notes and a mysterious, almost fierce base is totally stunning!

18 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2012)

Castoreum by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Surprisingly this smells very good and is absolutely wearable by itself. Castoreum smells leathery and even a little bit smoky. Although it is animalic, there is definetely no pee-pee or poo-poo going on! It is a deeply cozy and contemplative, reassuring but also authoritative and a bit melancholic scent that evokes images of autumn and childhood memories. There is a slightly chemical note in it which I really like. It gives Castoreum a big part of its appeal, but I have trouble naming that note. Maybe some kind of lacquer? Again I remember this smell from my childhood, but I can't really pinpoint it. I also smell something like vinegar or like the acid in wine! Castoreum is quite complex that one might think it is a composition, but it is in fact a single animalic note - pheromones from a beaver to be precisely. I don't know if I am imagining that, but some aspects of the smell and the overall vibe remind me of Oud! Castoreum can be used for layering, but I find it interesting enough to wear it alone. It's the perfect scent for autumn and winter due to its mysterious character. Luckily it has more longetivity than the other "animals" from Profumo.it.

15 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2011)

Balsamo della Mecca/ Mecca Balsam by La Via del Profumo

Words cannot describe the beauty of this composition, so I won't even try. Might be the holy grail!

10th November, 2011

Messe de Minuit by Etro

A bunch of positive reviews on the internet made me curious to try "Messe de Minuit" (Midnight Mass), so I ordered a sample. Seriously, after sampling so many fragrances this is for me the biggest disappointment in perfumery so far! This perfume is a bad joke! Judged by the name I expected something dark and gothic and so on, but what I smelled was this bright and screaming, overly sweet synthetic mess (not mass) of a perfume. Even "Eau de gentiane blanche" from Hermes is more "minuit" than this one. The mixture of orange, vanilla and cinnamon with some hardly detectable incense in the background smells so cheap and vulgar, it is beyond my imagination how a serious perfume-addict can like this. Well, maybe little girls who dress up as witches on Halloween and want to smell a little bit "spooky" might like it, but no one else! I don't know if the ingredients are inferior or the formula is just bad - or maybe both? There are other perfumes that are not my cup of tea, but I do understand why others might appreciate them. In this case - like I said - I don't. I sampled the current EdT-Version. Could be that the older EdC-Version is better, but I doubt it. To make the disaster perfect it gave me terrible headaches everytime I tested it. I desperately tried to find something positive and I finally did: "Messe de Minuit" (Midnight Mass) - at least I really like the name of the perfume! Unfortunately the "churchy" name didn't protect this stuff from being totally messed up by the devil!

09 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2011)

Ambergris by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Okay, this is my first review on Basenotes and because I don't want to overwork myself in the beginning, it will be a short one!

Ambergris Tincture from Profumo.it is the real natural thing, beach harvested and diluted into organic alcohol. To my nose it smells like hot milk with honey in it. I don't smell any bad breath as others have mentioned. It does have a little bit of sea-smell to it, but it's no wonder, after all it comes from the sea. I gave it a neutral rating because on my skin it is gone within seconds. I don't know why, maybe it's my chemistry or maybe I am kind of anosmic to it? I quite like the initial scent when it hits my skin, but the experience is way too fleeting, at least for me.

09 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2011)