Reviews by spcmiller

spcmiller's avatar
    spcmiller

Spicebomb Eau Fraîche by Viktor & Rolf

Ok, so let me begin by saying I was one of the first people to buy Spicebomb when it came out here in the states, and again, from what I can gather, I'm also one of the first to get the new version here in the us. It helps having friends on the other side of the pond. ;-). This is definitely Spicebomb, but toned down for summer use...I'm not sure what it's missing, but the aspects that make the original cloying and sickly sweet in the heat are absent and replaced with the seawater accord making it lighter and more refreshing. I get good longevity on this one upwards of 6 hours and the silage is also decent. It's a nice change of pace from the original, but still retains enough of the original's character, no one will mistake this for something else.

12 July, 2014 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2014)

L'Homme Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

Just received my bottle of this and it's a resounding and undeniable meh. It starts out kinda bright and strong as a result of the amped up citrus, but then dries down to a standard L'Homme within a very brief period of time. My biggest issue with this scent thus far is the lack of projection and longevity. I've had it on my hand for an hour or so and it's basically weakened to a skin scent with only the L'Homme base remaining. I see the sport aspect, but it fades very quickly and turns into plain, old L'Homme. If I were gunning for a L'Homme flanker for summer it'd have to be Gingembre or Libre Tonic. Both are nice and citrusy and just different enough from standard L'Homme to keep me interested, plus I'm a total sucker for the ginger in the former. I fear I may be putting this guy up for sale here in the very near future.

I guess the upside is that you can safely blind buy this, but why? May as well just buy the original.

04 April, 2014

cK One Summer 2014 by Calvin Klein

I had the opportunity to try this in Macy's rather than buy it blind, and I am eternally grateful that i did. It starts out with a nice burst of citrus and melon, a marriage that I can certainly live with. But about a half an hour later, it dries down to a synthetic, laundry detergent-like mess that almost prompted me to wash it off in the mall bathroom. It's absolutely awful and has little to offer to redeem it. I'll say though: it lasted quite a while; much longer than other summer citrus-based scents. A double-edged sword if you will. I don't know how this compares to the previous Summer editions from CK, but I'm woefully unimpressed by his latest offering.

28 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

This just arrived in my mailbox this morning, so I haven't been able to test its longevity and sillage thus far. The top reminds me of Pampelmousse Rose, or grapefruit if you will. It's very nice and light and I think it will make TdH wearable in the spring/summer where the EDP and even the EDT was just slightly too heavy to wear. There is just enough of TdH's DNA remining in the middle and base notes to make it unmistakable for anything else.

I am looking very forward to trying this once it warms up for more than a couple hours at a time here in CO.

22 March, 2014

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

Walked all the way to Macy's in the mall this afternoon to try this...big mistake! I'm in the rare group that doesn't get the appeal of anything Dior has put out since Higher in 2001. This wasn't distinct or compelling or even tenacious. Thankfully, the crap longevity came in handy because I couldn't wait to get this off my wrist. Wound-up buying a solid perfume of Philosykos at Nordstrom. As I sit typing this, the faint scent of cedar is still emanating from my arm, but it's neither unique nor memorable.

03 February, 2014

Axe Marine / Lynx Marine by Axe / Lynx

I was in Iraq in 2009/2010 and this fragrance was available everywhere. I have no idea where it came from or how it got there, but I was disappointed when I got back to the States and this wasn't available. Wish I would have had the forethought to bring a few bottles of the body wash back with me.

17 January, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent

I am going to preface this with the fact that I am a HUGE YSL fan, and have every single L'Homme flanker ever produced.

I received a sample of this a week ago from a friend in Protugal, and then I received today a bottle that I ordered from Ireland. I guess I'm the first to test this out, or at least publicly acknowledge that I've tried it. It starts out a little brighter than La Nuit, I assume that's due to the multitude of citrus fruits in the top notes. Then, after about an hour, calms down to a lighter, less intense version of the original. The geranium is prominent toward the middle, and is tempered by a slight note of pepper: lost if you don't pay very close attention. I'm still waiting for this to finish, but I get a pretty decent longevity on it thus far, with an average lasting time of 4-5 hours.

I guess it would be fine for a date or something similar. I'm going to wear this to work tomorrow and see how my co-workers react. My guess is it'll be a mixed bag, with most women thinking it's alright.

09 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2012)

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Pure Shot tried to ruin my life!

I tried this about 2 hours ago at the Nordstrom @ Fashion Place Mall. It came screaming out of the bottle, with very medicinal and strong top notes. And then, just when I thought it was over, the dry down reminds me of Brill hair gel or something of that nature. I am so glad I didn't blind buy this: I would be pissed that I wasted $85!

16 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2012)