Reviews by Alityke

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens

As a groupie of Uncle Serge I expected to adore this but the second it touched my skin it turned into an unpleasant sour green. The only rose aspect to it would be the smell of a rose thorn snapped of the plant by getting it stuck in flesh. Metallic, sour, green and a marine note ELDO would have been proud to use in SM.

I much prefer Rose de Nuit
08th March, 2013

Lyn Harris : La Poudrée by Marks and Spencer

Outstanding ladies boudoir powder bomb. Excellent quality and longevity. I've had more compliments wearing this last week than in the past year of niche and vintage. This is grown up and definitely a womanly feminine.

The raspberry is subtly blended adding just a hint of sweetness, the peach nectar adds a rounded plumtiousness. The floral heart is soft, voluptuous and bosomy and the dry down when it finally appears is soft and sensual.

Definitely recommended to powder lovers!
28th November, 2012

Madonna of the Almonds by Floris

Opens like freshly squeezed orangeade segueing into almond blossom and bitter almond. It's very Mediterranean orchard in feel, airy and ethereal. It finishes with the softest whisper of vanilla.

This does not have great sillage or longevity but it's ethereal feel (incense?) catches you unaware with whispers, wafts and waves surprising you with its beauty.

This is in the Ellena style of sheer scents but does not have the trademark watery note, which suits my nose. This is absolutely beautiful work. I adore it! Such as shame it's a limited edition
04th September, 2012

Relaxing Fragrance by Shiseido

This is the smell of calm. Watery but not aquatic. Spa like but not medicinal. How clean,high thread count, white sheets should smell but no laundry musks.

My bottle is almost gone. When it's finished I shall mourn it
03rd July, 2012

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Where to start. I sampled this with interest after reading others views and reviews. How interesting thought I foolishly.

Dzing opened on my with the overpowering fragrance of freshly passed stools of large vegetarian mammals. Fermenting grass, partially digested hay and a whiff of flatulence. My word! Thought I this is strange.

It got stranger, I scented the hide of the beast which past this, thick hide made leathery by the sun but now damp and uncomfortably close. Like. None too clean elephant house at the zoo.

This opening stayed for hours on my skin, linear, uncomfortable and headache inducing. After about 3 hours there was a mere puft of vanilla like a passing bubble of that sweet beauty which would have given balance had it been present in the mid.

After 7 hours I could no longer bear it and received joyous greeting from Mr Ali when I emerged fragrant from bathing in something femininely rosy to offset the olfactory traumas of the day
02nd July, 2012

Angel Aqua Chic by Thierry Mugler

Pretty but very light citrus and realistic cornflower opening quickly dries to the vanilla patch of mainline Angel. Longevity is shockingly poor. Max of two hours and it sits close to the skin

Nice Eau de cologne in an unusual style but that's what it is
19th June, 2012

Terracotta Eau Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Not really meant to be a scent but a tan prolonging body oil. The most fantastic jasmine soliflore that leaves the skin fabulously soft and scented.

When worn as a fragrance it lies close to the skin like a whispering jasmine lei.

I love this as a base for A La Nuit. They are beautiful complementary products for each other.

This is one I wear as a body treatment when I need a good nights sleep as the gentle narcotic effect of it helps me drift off in a fragrant lullaby.
13th June, 2012

Jeanne Lanvin Couture by Lanvin

This opens beautifully with fresh red berries and a little violet behind it. The violet then comes forward and speaks at quite a volume for such a shy flower. The violet and berries stay there and are then joined by a whole peony, leaves, stem and all. Keeping things fresh. I can't find a white floral magnolia in the lively red berry, peony and violet. From 30 minutes in the musk is there but holding those fresh purply red notes up rather than being dominant. I don't particularly pick up cedar.

The longevity and sillage is fantastic! Still going strong and noticeable after 11 hrs.

This is a scent of three f's. Full of Fun, Flirtatiousness and Fruit.

Great in summer but I can equally imagine wearing this is cooler weather or it being comforting in snow.

Fruit lovers will enjoy this, as will those who enjoy purple florals. A truly feel good bit of cheerful joyfulness in a pretty ribboned bottle

Excellent price point too

Highly recommended
13th June, 2012

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

My Narcisse is a bottle of older stuff bought for pennies off eBay.

Chloe Narcisse is in the style of an 80s tuberose so wear with caution! Whilst tuberose isn't listed the narcissus in this gives the impression of a heady, narcotic tuberose which I enjoy. Well blended and certainly white floral, the apricot is subtle and adds a little much needed tartness rather than sweetness. The spice supports the narcotic and sultry effect. Makes me think of a Southern Belle, perfectly groomed, sat on the porch with a JD & coke. In fact Chloe Narisse is hat the YaYas in the ZyaYa Zsiterhood should have worn!

I do wonder if Madge knew how close she came to recreating Chloe Narcisse with Truth or Dare, her tribute to Fracas? They certainly share genetic material
13th May, 2012

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Yes this is my preferred style of fragrance being a bitter green chypre but Ivoire is so much more than just that. This review is for the original vintage EDT

The opening is still bitterly green despite the lemon having been lost a little in the last 40 years or so. It develops quite quickly into the heart and here the true beauty emerges like a butterfly from the chrysallis.

In it's heart this vintage Ivoire is plush, rich and luscious and full of wonderful buttery jasmine and iris root, spiced by dianthus and sharpened by rose and lily of the valley. Floral lovers should give this a try.

The base is salty savoury oakmoss, rounded by real sandalwood.

If you love 31 Rue Cambon or other floral chypre, you really must hunt down early Ivoire. It costs pennies on EBay (well it does in the UK) and gives the sensation of wearing real luxury
12th May, 2012

Chergui by Serge Lutens

My first full wearing so I may edit this but here goes

I found the opening a heady rich floral, winey rose with maybe a little raspberry jam. Very nice but not what I expected.
This bloomed into a field of tropical flowers with figs and dates which sweeten it and just a touch of Ras al Hanout spice behind it.

Longevity and sillage are excellent as with all Lutens

Good work but not the weird hay I was expecting
04th April, 2012

Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain

The first sniff after spraying made me cough then.... Absolutely stunning! Rounded powdery rosy floral bliss followed by a vanilla that isn't sweet but deeply sensual.

I'd wolf-whistle at this in the street
01st April, 2012

Arabie by Serge Lutens

This has been bothering me. It smells like something from the late 70s early 80s and the memory is a happy one as it puts a big silly grin on my face.

On my way to visit my mother it hit me... Wallop.... Arabie is the child of vintage Femme de Rochas!

Oily, apricotty , peachy, spicy and deeply mysterious and alluring.

I now see the relationship with Mitsouko and other fruity chypres but Arabie is done with all the swirls and curlicues of Morocco is typical Lutens style.

Brilliant work!

Oh and when I walked into my mothers her reaction was to sniff deeply and tell my I smelt fabulous and it reminded her of Femme
31st March, 2012

Sex Pistols by Etat Libre d'Orange

Brilliantly done! Hairspray and sweaty leather jackets in the famous indie clubs of Northern England for a decade over the 70s and 80s.
Very strong on the hairspray/aldehydes which takes it's time to leave and is probaly too much for some, for me it make me want to crimp my hair and use a can full of Elnett on it.
The patch and leather took my back to cellar bars and clubs where pale thin young men in the skinniest jeans wore eyeliner and were far more beautiful than the girls.

Sex Pistols influenced this but this smell of the pretty punks of the early 80s.

Purely as a fragrance I'm not sure I could recommend it but for those who have memories of dark club, black skinnies and crispy hair it's a must
30th March, 2012

Idylle Duet by Guerlain

I am in love. This rose patchouli is so far from my comfort zone of citric chypres as to have confused me. One spray on the back of my hand is still going 4 hours later through 2 hand washings and a sink of washing up.

Tipsy blousy rose plays the lead which the elegant patch prolongs forever but without any headshop effect.

How I wish this wasn't a limited edition it's far more beautiful and hypnotic than the original Idylle which I find harsh
18th March, 2012 (last edited: 24th March, 2012)

Classique X Collection by Jean Paul Gaultier

Good for a quick spritz to freshen up but has the longevity of a gnat. Nice inoffensive, sweetish, floweryish and vanillaisg

Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez

This is grassy green with a woody amber dry down. Unfortunately its all over in 90 minutes max. Hence a neutral not a thumbs up

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

I have anosmia to this fragrance in its totality. Despite being able to smell the same notes in other scents I cannot smell anything but fresh air from Ormonde Jayne Woman. I've even tried the warm bath trick to open up dense scents and still .... Nothing.

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways!

For Rose there are way too many to list. A beautiful rose, true to the real rose including rose leaves, petals and dew. Sweetish as are roses but fresh as are real roses.

Being nit picky could last longer but 7am until 1pm with a respray after lunch is now still with me and projecting at 8pm so only scored 4 stars not 5.

Highly recommended feminine that a man could wear
13th February, 2012

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh what a a beautiful classic. A tragedy it is now Limited Edition only. Fizzy aldehydic opening followed by gentle delicious green floral with deep green with a tiny touch of powder to finish. Blissfull
12th February, 2012

Cologne Intense Collection : Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

Enjoyed ten minutes of top notes then turned into sweet Imperial Leather soap suds. Too sweet to sudsy thankfully not too longlasting
11th February, 2012

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I admire this rather than like it. I am a fan of deep green and floral chypres but for me this doesn't fall into either of these categories. Yes I get a dose of spicy top, yes I get a whole heap of flowers running right through until the very final dry down, when I get spicy incense and vanilla rather than amber.

Unfortunately this combination in the first 3 hours made me slightly headachy and nauseous. It may simply be I'm unused to such rich and complex elixir. I feel a spring day when it's crisp and sunny may vastly improve my response to this
10th February, 2012

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

Oh how I enjoyed this and how I regret not buying when I had a chance. What an error.

Coffee heavy in the front notes then a warm nasal tingle emerges from the chilli pepper, fruity in the way a scotch bonnet chilli with a sort of apricot fruit underneath. Finally dries down to it's big brother with more coffee and depth.

A mole sauce in frangrance form

Excellent

Quick edit. Bought it after a nudge from a kind male BNer about sourcing online.
Will never regret getting it. Mr Ali and I fight for it, we both want it
07th February, 2012 (last edited: 29th April, 2012)

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

I'm amazed there is no incense listed as I pick up a strong churchy note throughout this fragrance. Yes some pine yes some jasmine but largely unashamedly churchy.

On second wearing it lacks longevity and has consistently dried down to bitter smoke which has spoilt it for me.

Hasn't measured up to Bois d'Encens or Nu
05th February, 2012 (last edited: 07th February, 2012)

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I simply don't understand the hype n horror. I does not smell of a trauma room or an operating theatre. Yes it has a metallic or salt note which are done better by Thierry Mugler in Womanity and Cologne but this does not smell human. After an hour it smelt of a stale glass of water that's been sat so long its started to evaporate and synthetic sweetener.
There is a teeny tiny floral in there but it's so small my uneducated nose couldn't distinguish what flower it was.

After 2 hours it had almost disappeared from my skin. On a tissue applied at the same time the frag had developed to the one hour skin stage after 2 hours but no other notes were distinguishable on the tissue than on the skin.

Neurtral rather than negative as I find it simply something and nothing. The power of suggestion proven
05th February, 2012

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

I get only a fun slightly fizzy jasmine from this. I pick the burnt frying pan handle mote that I get from jasmine blossoms so very realistic but I do not get even a hint of tobacco never mind the tang of fag ash which was promised and may have made this more interesting.

A very pretty summer scent lackingin longevity. Little sillage. An intimate skin scent on me
04th February, 2012

Vanilla by Crabtree & Evelyn

Oh how I adored this in 1994. How everyone round me hated me even wearing it, even in homeopathic amounts :( I still have the bottle proving I got fed up

Sweet and gourmand but as my nose has become more sensitive I now find it very synthetic and harsh

I tried it again now Angel has made gourmands acceptable but disliked it
03rd February, 2012 (last edited: 13th June, 2012)

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Bought as a blind buy after reading the description of it in a Jilly Cooper novel many years ago and I've never been without since. Big without being shouty. A huge bouquet of flowers tuberose heavy with wet lily undercurrents. A masterpiece

Bendelirious by Etat Libre d'Orange

Now this had promise, refreshing pop like opening, nice iris softness the zilch, nada, nothing! No dry down! Gone! Disappeared! Possibly the shortest life of any fragrance I've ever tried

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Opened with cheap hairspray on me, middle was simply meh! Bleugh somert n nowt. The dry down was rather delicious but lasted so little time