Reviews by lupin

lupin's avatar
    lupin

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Thumbs down for anyone older than 18.

Neutral thumb for people of high school age.

I can't believe grown-ass men would want to smell like this. Sugary melon drying down to a watery, woody, musk.

07th June, 2012

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

I would swear to you that this smells like lime and Crest toothpaste.

I don't know why I like it, but somehow those things smell neat.

18th May, 2012

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Smelling this is like playing a theremin with your nose.

It contains an incredible range of notes that are discovered merely by moving your nose towards and away from your skin.

This is what space-heroes wear. No doubt about it.

08th May, 2012

Black Aoud by Montale

Searing rose, like an old lady soaked in isopropyl.

Then you wait two hours...

Then the most wonderful, earthy, woody, DIRT smell overtakes everything.

I'm glad I didn't scrub it off, but I'm loathe to reapply...

08th May, 2012

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

One of the harshest and most foul openings I've smelled. I love perfumes that are challenging and give me something to try and wrap my head around, but this doesn't seem anything other than poorly made. The opening is similar to accidentally snorting a vodka pine-sol cocktail. Waiting around for it to warm up and settle down only brings you a generic, dated smelling spicy, woody musk. The dry down is a godsend in that it's hard to smell. Doesn't last terribly long.

Noooooooooo stank you.

04th May, 2012

Voyage by Nautica

Marvelous cheap frag. One of the few fresh aquatics that smells legitimately aquatic. Cool bottle, cool juice, just the right price, cool cool cool.

for 15-20 bucks, you can't go wrong.

29th April, 2012

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

A competent woody/aquatic with enough spice to give it some balance. I bought it to basically fill a void in my wardrobe. I like the lack of strong projection, as an overpowering scent in this genre quickly becomes awful and cloying. It's sort of a Cool Water Noir... More interesting than most in this uninteresting genre. Should be a good, everyday, summer scent. Generic, inoffensive, and entirely palatable.

Neutral because the price tag is absurd. The magnetic cap is awesome, though.

29th April, 2012

Gold Man by Amouage

The first 20 minutes or so are very much a dusty-floral. I found it extremely interesting and pleasant. After that, there was literally nothing to it but powder. Baby powder for hours and hours and hours. Two people came into my room and said "whoa... what smells like baby powder in here?"

To see if it changed over time, I asked a few friends to smell me (independent of each other) and everything came up baby powder.

Disappointing.

For the very pleasant opening and the fact that I like the smell of baby powder... I give it a complete neutral.

30th December, 2011

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

I got this as a gift and I feel awful. I never wear it. I try and try, but I just feel like a really loathsome high-schooler when I put it on.

Citrus fading into the most generic fragrance notes I can imagine.

I won't say it smells bad, because it certainly doesn't. I own a good few scents that really do smell awful. This smells plain and very young.

Neutral, because there's really nothing positive or negative about it.

A waste of time.

13th December, 2011

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

The smell reminds me of Simple Green mixed with the dry, musty smell of my grandparents' house.

I was fully expecting to love this and almost did a blind-buy. I'm quite glad I didn't.

The scent definitely gets a lot better as it settles down on my skin, but it never reaches a stage that makes me say "I want to smell like this"

I can't imagine someone my age (mid-twenties) wanting to smell like this. Very dated to me.

12th December, 2011

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I love the smell of this. I find it to smell comfortable, warm and fresh. The thing is... I think wearing it as a cologne is ridiculous. I can't think of anyone that I would enjoy smelling like this.

I treat it as a top shelf Febreeze.

That I can get behind.

Blankets and sheets smelling like this? Awesome.

A little spritz on the couch before guests come over? Wonderful.

Spraying it on myself? Why??

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

I thoroughly enjoy this scent. For me, it will likely never be something I can wear casually as a day-to-day kind of scent. When I wear it, I feel like I'm in a costume. I need to be wearing a loud paisley shirt with a large belt buckle to feel like my scent and appearance match. It's definitely an attention-getter, but I think that's because it's clearly an anachronism of sorts. Especially on a guy in his mid-20s. I wouldn't think twice smelling this on my grandfather.

Bora Bora for Men by Liz Claiborne

Not good. Not good at all.

Starts out smelling pretty interesting, but just as soon as I'm able to make sense of what I'm smelling... it turns to plastic. Just a terrible,cheap, soapy, artificial, and incredibly pungent stink that hangs around for a good long time.

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

I Received a bottle as a gift last year and I've only been able to bring myself to wear it 3 or 4 times. The opening is a screechy grapefruit that I find more entertaining than annoying. It smells ridiculous and fun and then fades rather quickly into a better-than-average sporty/fresh generic scent with a unusually warm gingery undertone.

You could do far worse in the sport category of men's fragrance, but you can also easily do far better.

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Received a big bottle as a gift and it went immediately to the bottom of the pile. It smells like someone went nuts with the hand sanitizer. A very clean scent in that sense.

Harsh and sanitary.