Reviews by Wee Scottish Scent Lover

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I walked past a woman in John Lewis and asked her which perfume she was wearing. It was this, and initially I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. (My nose probably detected the hint of jasmine - my favourite.) Anyway, after having tried it on my skin, I changed my mind, as it's a bit cloying. Should anyone want a lighter, more pleasant (massively cheaper) version of this perfume, try Next's "Sparkle". It's identical! In fact, "Sparkle" is nicer.
04th December, 2013

Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile by Acqua di Parma

The only AdP fragrance I've ever had is the beautiful Fico di Amalfi, which I got a few months ago. It is now my intention to work my way through the entire range of these exquisite perfumes, and Gelsomino Nobile is next. I always seem to be attracted to perfumes with notes of jasmine, and as this is called Noble Jasmine, it's no surprise that I love it. I think the iris one will be next, but I just think these Acqua di Parma perfumes are class in a bottle. Now that I've smelt these, it's hard going back to mainstream perfumes. Love it. Could bathe in it.
04th December, 2013

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

I've only gone and bought this for my husband, and now I've realised I can't stand it! It is mega-overpowering. One spray and it's all over the house. It's incredibly sweet, far TOO sweet for a man's fragrance. I wish I'd tested it properly before buying it. It is cloying, sickly and smells nothing like spice. It's more like an explosion in a candy floss factory. Leather? None. Tobacco? None. Vetiver? None. Syrup? Plenty. Never again, Spicebomb.

Achtung! That first review was mid September, and now it's late October, and I have changed my mind! I don't know what happened with that first spray of Spicebomb. Now, it seems to have lost its overpowering quality and is rather pleasant. I'll give it a thumbs up, although it's still in the bottom of my top twenty. I still get absolutely NO SPICE from this ... although maybe that's not right either, as there is a hint of apple pie ... cinnamon? Nutmeg? Brown sugar? Aaah, now I understand. Anyway, it's better after you get used to it.
18th September, 2012 (last edited: 23rd October, 2012)

Cabochard by Grès

OK, I'm giving it a thumbs up for now, but I'm still scared of it. I bought it blind after reading rave reviews on Basenotes (I trust you lot). Anyway, it's still too summery to get away with it, but I'm going to wear it to work in autumn on a day when i'm wearing lots of black and feeling powerful. I have a feeling it'll give me an air of aloofness and make some people wither in my presence, but that's not always a bad thing. I feel this is the perfume Cruella de Ville would wear, but just for the record, I adore dogs. Watch this space. I may come back with more in a few months.
18th September, 2012

Very Valentino by Valentino

I find this fragrance to be much more complex than the other reviews suggest, but it is all a matter of personal taste, of course. A relative was wearing it, and when she walked past, I had to ask what she was wearing. When she said "Very Valentino", I couldn't believe it. I thought it was some rare Chanel or Dior creation, which is what she usually wears. Having recently smelled Valentina Assoluto, I detect a pattern, and in my opinion, Assoluto is a new version of this. I love both.

Valentina Assoluto by Valentino

Tried this at the airport last week and thought it was absolutely beautiful. Very classy and sophisticated. I definitely get a resemblance between this and Very Valentino, which I also love. There is a Parma Violet theme in both. Will be adding to my Christmas list (by which time I will hopefully have room in my perfume box for more!).

Pleats Please by Issey Miyake

I was on the Cote d'Azur last week (ooh lah lah!), and there was a marquis in the town square filled with local dignitaries, celebrating the launch of this new fragrance. I was given a little sample spray and can't believe how lovely it is. I'd normally think overtly fresh, fruity/floral fragrances like this would be for teens or twenty somethings, but Pleats Please is definitely different - and boy does it have staying power! It is a burst of fruity gorgeousness, followed by a clean, more grown up than expected drydown. I'm definitely going to be buying this. Perfect for sunshiney days. Shame about the utterly ludicrous name. Honestly. Surely they could've done better than this?

L'Aimant by Coty

Along with Chanel No 5 and Guerlain Samsara, this was my darling mum's favourite. She used to ask for this at Christmas before I had enough money to buy her Chanel or Guerlain. But even then, this remained her favourite. I don't think I could wear Coty L'Aimant, as I would be crying constantly, but I have to give it a big thumbs up, as if it was good enough for my mum, it is good enough for me.
02nd August, 2012

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

Every time I smell it on someone, I think it's gorgeous. But I just can't buy it. It's tacky, cheap, synthetic and chavvy.
01st August, 2012

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg

I get a real incense hit when I first spray this, then it settles into sultry warmth and spice. Its similarity to Agent Provocateur was no doubt part of my motivation in buying it, as I adore AP, but the drydown of Diane is very different from AP and subsequently makes this a sexy, stand alone little number. I think this is a gorgeous fragrance, very sophisticated, more suited to a woman rather than a girl, and whereas AP is the perfume equivalent of a red basque, Diane is a sexy little black dress!
27th March, 2012

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I can't believe this fragrance was launched 15 years ago. In my opinion, it has withstood the test of time and has a very prominent place among the best of today's perfumes. Completely different from anything else, it's got a real hippie feel to it, but it's NOT patchouli (although I love patchouli). Lolita Lempicka has an ethereal quality, and even though some of the notes may be considered "heavy", I find this perfume relatively light. I have no problem wearing this on warm sunny days, and I think it would go perfectly with floaty summer florals. The anise, violet and vanilla work beautifully together, and the licquorice is soft and sweet without being sickly. Every time I wear this, I am again surprised at its unique loveliness, and I love that I can still smell it after 6 hours' wear. The bottle of course is just adorable. A little belter. Love it.
26th March, 2012

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

Very confused. This has been voted best newcomer, and clearly it's impressing some of the conoscenti olfactory senses on this page, but I think it has the longevity of tap water. Molecule 01 also disappears within milliseconds of spraying, but it reappears gorgeously and frequently throughout the day. Bottega Veneta vanishes on its way from the nozzle to the skin. What am I doing wrong? I know what'll happen. Someone at work will comment that I smell amazing. But then again, no-one here has ever commented on my gorgeous perfumes before, apart from the day I wore Molecule 01, and people were blown away by it. Typical. Harumph.
21st March, 2012

Hypnotic Poison Eau de Toilette by Christian Dior

Almonds but not too sweet, vanilla icing drydown with spice, a heady, sensuous scent for evenings or winter. I will definitely buy this again. But wear sparingly. This is not a toy. :0)
20th March, 2012

Central Park by Bond No. 9

G R E E N G R E E N G R E E N! So herbal, so much fern, freshly cut dewy grass,verbena, basil, incredibly fresh and clean like a beautiful waterfall, this has the same effect on me as Opal Fruits (I refuse to call them Starburst). This perfume is made to make your mouth water! And the subtle patchouli drydown is just my cup of tea. Oh, and I'm a woman, and I think this is perfect for male or female fragrance lovers!
OK, I've come back, eight hours after applying this fragrance. Still stand by what I said above, but now I'm getting Radox. This perfume is the fragrance version of pine bubble bath.
Glad I got a Bob Bon box version and not the whole flask.
20th March, 2012

Crystal Noir by Versace

Warm and sensual. Almost gives off heat. If you could take a stunning tropical island, its balmy evening breezes, its pure white sands, the crystal clear waters lapping at the shore in the moonlight, then bottle it, this is what you'd get. I can't recommend this perfume highly enough for anyone looking for a scent to take on a beach holiday. This is the perfect fragrance to wear in the evening and will expertly take you through the night in Ibiza clubland!
16th March, 2012

J'Adore by Christian Dior

No matter how many other perfumes I fall in love with, I never fall out of love with J'Adore. It is just overwhelmingly feminine and beautiful. I think it's the only fragrance which I still love in spite of the fact so many others wear it. It is the essence of summer time, yet it suits all seasons. In my opinion it is the most elegant of scents, not trying to be anything it isn't, just a perfect formulation of jasmine and rose, and it will always have a welcome place in my boudoir!
16th March, 2012

No. 5 by Chanel

I'd never wear it for two reasons. Firstly, I feel it's still a wee bit old for me. And secondly, it reminds me of my darling mum. To have this scent, so evocative of mum, every moment of the day, would just be too much. She's in my thoughts all the time anyway. But as it reminds me of her, and she was a very beautiful, way ahead of her time, feisty but gentle, very feminine little star, I have to say it is a stunningly beautiful, elegant scent. I wish I could wear it, as I think it oozes class. But even at 44, I still don't feel grown up enough for Chanel No 5.
08th March, 2012

Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane

I so wanted to love this. I had a little on a tester card and on the strength of that I asked for some for Christmas. When I sprayed it on myself, it was so mind-blowingly overpowering that I had to go and try to wash it off. And I couldn't! It's one of theose scents which I can understand is beautiful on certain other people, but definitely not on me. I agree with the reviewer who said it evokes Christmas. That's a fabulous description of this fragrance. But it's too cloying and heavy for me. I like fragrances you can build up the strength in. I'm sitting here with a cloud of Lolita Lempicka around me, but that's only because I sprayed it so many times today. All was not lost, though, as I gave my unused Eau d'Iparie to a perfume loving aunt who totally adores it and says it takes her back to Majorca in the 1970s and a Spanish soap which was so beautiful she used to keep the wrapper in her drawer at home to perfume her lingerie.
07th March, 2012

Labdanum by L'Occitane

I'm really surprised at the views on Labdanum. I thought it was light and pleasantly spicy. Not that sweet at all. My only negative would be that it's longevity is appalling. Only lasts an hour or so on me.
07th March, 2012

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

My sister and I are perfume nuts, but I'd never known her as excited as when she discovered Molecule 01. Apparently she noticed it on a lady in Marks and Spencer, asked what on earth this heavenly scent was and immediately bought some. Even though my sis and I have polar opposite tastes in fragrance, I ordered a sample and then bought it myself. I thought it was very fresh, clean, green and woodsy, although not spectacular. However, I wore it to work for the first time yesterday. I was disappointed after about one minute not to be able to smell a single thing. Then, throughout the day, every hour or so, I'd get a brief blast of ethereal gorgeousness, which would then suddenly disappear again. This perfume has a magic quality. So I wore it again today. First thing this morning, a woman in the office who has zero interest in fragrance, make up, fashion or anything remotely concerned with glamour said, "I have to ask you what that perfume is". The moment she'd said it, a lady of 71 added, "I meant to comment on that yesterday. It's out of this world". Within minutes, five people of all ages gathered around and were fawning over me, telling me they had never smelled anything so beautiful. Now, I don't know what it is about this stuff, as I wear beautiful perfumes every day of my life without exception, but I have never known this reaction to a fragrance. It must be the pheromones. Molecule 01, you get a big thumbs up from me.
06th March, 2012 (last edited: 16th March, 2012)

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I bought this for my husband and it's my favourite of all his aftershaves. Gucci Pour Homme is a very masculine fragrance. It makes a refreshing change from so many of the men's colognes which have come out over the past few years (that includes you, Bleu de Chanel). Some of them are so metrosexual I'd consider wearing them myself. I like my man to smell like a man, not a teenage girl. This is reminiscent of the proper blokes' smells of the 70s. It doesn't mess about. Fresh, clean, leathery. Love it. Thumbs right up from me.
21st February, 2012

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

My husband and I have just bought this for my father-in-law, because I remembered my much older brother wearing it years ago. OMG. This stuff is gorgeous. It makes me feel uncomfortable to want to sniff my father-in-law's collar. So the only solution is to buy some of this. But not just for my husband. I'm thinking I may wear it and layer it with something else. I'm wondering if it would go with Agent Provocateur. Someone mentioned wearing it with Gucci Rush, which I also love. But this, even on its own, is HOT. My goodness. What a find.
18th September: NEWSFLASH! Had to change my review ... just been on holiday with husband. Tiny apartment in Monte Carlo. Husband accidentally dropped and smashed bottle of Givenchy Gentleman. Entire apartment suffused with it. Could barely breathe. Can now not bear even a whiff of this stuff. Quel dommage!
26th January, 2012 (last edited: 18th September, 2012)

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

Worryingly, it's getting harder and harder to find this little gem here in Great Britain. I'm not at the panic stage yet, but I might have to stock up. I adore this fragrance. It's like nothing else I've known. The pepper is attention grabbing, and I also get a touch of fizz! I love anything with jasmine, and the soft, sweet vanilla dry down is just gorgeous. Loving it.

I can only guess that some tastes just don't stretch to the pepperiness and vanilla delight that is Moschino "Couture!" but we all like what we like. IMO this fragrance is anything but cheap smelling, and I think it's the best scent Moschino have ever created. Very different from anything else, very daring, and maybe not everyone would be brave enough to wear it. I love it and want more.
25th January, 2012 (last edited: 03rd April, 2012)

Rush by Gucci

Spiced rum. Bourbon. Definitely an alcoholic overtone. But in a good way. Sherbet. Spices. Coriander. Nectarine. Licquorice. Dark chocolate. I could go on and on, talking about the layers of scent I get from this cheeky little number. Bold and naughty. I love it so much, it's probably still my signature scent, and I even wore it on my wedding day. Absoultely gorgeous.
25th January, 2012 (last edited: 30th January, 2012)

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Now I have to say first of all that it's the EDT I have, not the EDP. I found the EDP cloying and sickly. I loved this EDT when I bought it, and I'll use what's left of it, but all I get from it now is strawberry jam. I love strawberry jam, but not to wear. I think that from the people who created the stunning J'Adore, this is a real let down. Shame on you, Dior.

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very sophisticated fragrance. It's the most multi faceted perfume I own. It starts off fairly innocently with light florals, then comes delicate rose, yet it settles into a sexy, subtle layer of patchouli and smokiness. Not for the faint of heart. Bold, sassy, classy and sexy. It shouts, "I'm here, I'm confident and I smell absolutely gorgeous!"

Stella by Stella McCartney

Ooooh, I love Stella! Cool, fresh, rosey, floral, feminine, suitable for any occasion, uplifting in the dark days of winter, breezy and light in the warmth of summer, this is my all round never lets me down perfume, and it's delicious!

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Surely this is the sexiest fragrance ever created? I get everything from Eastern spices to Parma violets, from musk to pepper, and the base note is absolutely divine. Is it incense? Whatever it is, it's bewitching. I first smelt this on a colleague I used to work with. She was one of those women who lots of men in the office used to follow around with their tongues out. She was a fairly plain looking person, and she didn't say much, and I wonder if it was this perfume that used to cast its spell on them! That said, the only man i want to impress is my gorgeous husband, and he loves this perfume, too. I can never be without this now. Love, love, love it.

Elie Saab Le Parfum by Elie Saab

I discovered this in a little tester swab in a magazine and instantly fell in love with it. I find perfumes evocative of certain things, and Elie Saab makes me think of a cold Bucks Fizz, effervescent, fresh, clean and delicious. This is a very classy scent, different from anything I've smelled before, and it's one of my new favourites.

Joop! Le Bain by Joop!

This has been my niece's signature scent for years and years. I don't know if I'd wear it myself, but I think it has a lovely distinctive aroma. I get caramel and smokiness, booze and fresh winter air. Love it. Maybe I'll treat myself.
19th January, 2012