Reviews by katchan

katchan's avatar
    katchan

Leather Oud by Christian Dior

I love this! The masculine leather and animalic notes are tempered by the sweet honey, clove, and amber notes, with a delicate smokiness rounding it out. I think it's absolutely appropriate for both genders, as it almost becomes powdery. Dior has outdone itself with this. Brilliant!

09 February, 2012

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Every Le Labo creation I have encountered has been a work of art. Rose 31 is no exception. Expecting a huge rose à la Parfums de Rosine, instead I get rose petals in a spice market with incense burning and food cooking. It encapsulates a whole world in one whiff. The complexity of the florals with the woods and cumin is unlike anything else I have smelled.

I adore Rose 31. Bravo!

04 February, 2012

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

A fruity vanilla top note gives way to a delightful leather and wood drydown. I could wear this everyday.

12 January, 2012

Antihéros by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is probably the most wearable of ELd'O's line. I'm a sucker for lavender, and I adore the hit of soapiness before the velvety drydown. I could wear this anywhere at anytime. The only thing I wish is that it would last longer on me.

11th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2012)

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

Maurice Roucel is a genius. I own his Frederic Malle fragrances, Musc Ravageur and Dans Tes Bras, and they are among the most complex yet delightfully wearable scents I've ever encountered. Labdanum 18 is baby powder for grown-ups. Love it.

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

This Le Labo creation rocked my world. It was the reason I became perfume obsessed. It literally opened my eyes to a new way of creating fragrances. The smoky muskiness is super sexy without being formulaic. The tea, leather, and patch combo are unlike anything else I've ever smelled. Bravo!

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Old lady smell (in the good sense). Love leather and musk, and this is actually a very soft and buttery version of the standard. It doesn't take the same risks as say Fumerie Turque or Chergui, but that makes it a much more wearable scent for the daytime.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I love perfumes that push the envelope. ELd'O of course does that, and with SM it does it in spades. Upon putting the scent on, I absolutely hated it. The acrid, metallic smell reminded me of the briny flinty odor of raw oysters. But lo and behold, the musk comes around and softens the blow, and it becomes a lovely, sheer floral. I find it totally sexy! It's not something I would wear everyday, but it would be my go-to on special occasions when I want to feel a little trampy.