Reviews by icanzapyou

icanzapyou's avatar
    icanzapyou

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I just don't get it. I don't dislike this scent, but I never want to smell like this. There's this pack of herbs that they sell in the Chinese supermarkets that you boil to create this incredible, herbal broth. That's exactly what Ambre Sultan smells like. This is not a good thing. We've got an herbal, minty amber. The initial blast almost smells like spearmint gum, but then it breaks into that bizarre...

TWO HOURS LATER: So it's two hours later and I'm returning to writing this review. Now that I've let this thing dry down, I must say that the dry down is beautiful and delicious. It's an excellent vanilla and herb mixture, which actually creates a chicken broth effect in the best possible way. I'm still a little ambivalent, but this is definitely a scent that gets better as time progresses.

Marron Chic by Nez à Nez

Marron Chic is Dior Homme on steroids. The iris is more concentrated and intense, just a smack in the face of facial powder. I happen to be okay with this note, but it can be rather off-putting. The gourmand tones are an orangey-chocolate, that, although excellent, are a bit too much. I'd say that the gourmand/iris notes function 50/50 when they should instead be maybe 70/30. It's okay, but definitely not for everyone, though I kind of like it. In general, I'd go with Dior Homme instead.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

What a beautiful interpretation of amber. This one is boozy, it makes me think of a smooth and sweet gin and tonic. The amber actually kicks in as something of an undertone, so one smells the floral, fresh dirt in there too. The combination is surprising, but harmonious. There's smoke and incense in the middle, with a spicy and musky ending. I'd say that the best part of this fragrance is excellent, and the rest just pretty average. This is not a classic amber, but instead it's notably different. A lot of ambers such as Dior's Amber Nuit or Atelier's Ambre Nue will infuse a hint of something different, such as a bit of mint, spice, sweetness, or wood. But Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe is entirely contrasting, in all the right ways.

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

The way I see it, there's two ways to approach this fragrance. One can choose to look at it independent of the other A*Men flankers and try to judge it by itself. Alternatively, one can compare it to the rest of the flankers and decide whether or not they like it.

My take is: no matter how you judge this thing, it's just horrifying. Now, I choose to compare this thing to the other A*Men flankers, which I happen to like very much. My gosh, how much more could you possibly screw up the entire A*Men line? This is nothing like any of the other Pures. It's not sweet, it's not spicy, it's not interesting. If anything, this is musty. I realize that this is supposed to be an interpretation of mint, the same way Havane is cigars, Malt is whiskey, and so on. Well, problem number one was that when I first smelled this, I didn't really pick up the mint note at all. I don't think this does mint any justice at all.

This is bizarre. It conjures the mental connotation of a dusty old attic. Or like something died. Forget longevity, forget projection. The scent itself is disgusting. Pure Shot is the phantom menace of the fragrance world.

25 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2012)

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

This is definitely one of my favorite gourmands. I'm really a bit surprised by that note pyramind. Really? Bergamot? Pepper? Patchouli? All I really smell with this is a delicious, chocolate covered pretzel. Maybe a little burnt, in the best way. It's not soft, it's not delicate, in fact it's a little in your face. The kind of scent that emanates from a warm oven and fills a home. It's just plain delicious. Of course, one must really appreciate gourmands to enjoy I Love New York for All.

One last thing- this is significantly better than New Haarlem in my book. This and Harrod's Oud raise the bar entirely amongst Bond's whole line.

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Well, I don't hate it. I just think it's pretty mediocre. The scent itself is okay, very much a Bath and Body Works kind of fragrance. We've got a sweet, orange-floral opening, which persists until it disappears. It's nice and uncomplicated, admittedly a little synthetic. Prolonged exposure may lead to headaches.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

Oh boy. What a remarkably underrated scent, in the sense that not enough people talk about it. Let's ignore the price for a second and just look at the scent objectively. This is a beautiful, sweet gourmand. It's boozy and syrupy, equal parts bay rum (or maybe root beer) and, interestingly, Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay. A bit of a citrus, orangey kick, reminiscent of Bailey's perhaps. Think about a warm fire on a snowy day. Ok, now look at the price. Excellence.

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Coming across at least a few dozen fragrances in my life, none have ever made me drool. Hell, food doesn't make me drool. Something about Frapin 1270 does that to me. This is the classiest, sweet gourmand I've ever come across. Add a booziness, which of course is Frapin's wheelhouse, and this becomes one of the most gorgeous openings I've ever encountered. I'm not going to pretend that I find this scent as complicated as other reviewers seem to. I really don't get much of a leather from this at all, though I definitely detect some of the spice, and the heavier basenotes like sandalwood. But frankly, I don't need 1270 to be complicated. That first blast is enough.

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

Excellent. Casting aside all snob, this fragrance is beautiful. It actually reminds me of one of my absolute favorite fragrances, Amouage's Lyric Man. Of course, there's the top-heavy Rose, but also the unique spicy incense that hints at an exotic, Eastern Asian origin, though maybe a little bit sweeter. An absolute unisex beauty in my book.

22 May, 2012

Antaeus by Chanel

I don't get it. I understand why it's liked, but I find it hard to wrap my head around the massive number of rave reviews of Chanel's Antaeus on basenotes. The first time I smelled this, I thought it was basically sandalwood cologne. Just sandalwood, and honestly nothing else. Smelling it again, I get a bit more of the floral- the labdanum, maybe the myrtle. But the fact that I can identify these notes have only made me hate Antaeus more. It opens like fresh, mossy dirt, the type that kind of smells like poop (unfortunately) and probably earthworms in it. Gross. An opening like this CAN be good, but in this case it's pretty off putting and gross. And the drydown sadly is just more sandalwood. A better option if you like sandalwood is heading to Caswell and Masey and buying their sandalwood soaps, lotions, and fragrances. But Chanel's Antaeus? Pass.

14 March, 2012

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nutty, woodsy, musky, deep, sexy. Quintessentially masculine as well. The hazelnut and honey combination is absolutely killer. I don't find this to be in any way evocative of the big bad wolf. There's nothing even remotely lurking or dangerous to me. It's instead classy and warm and extremely versatile. I can see myself wearing this as a student, and I can see myself wearing this when I'm 40. It'll flourish anywhere between moderately warm and slightly chilly temperatures, in formal or casual situations. I think this is the grand opus of the L'Artisan house.

26 February, 2012

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

I smelled this when I was less educated and hated it, much prefering the citrusy and inky CDG 2 original version. But now that I've revisited 2 Man, I think I prefer this one. It is stereotypically manly, smokey and woodsy. I smell that mahogany more than anything, a bit of incense and sweetness from the nutmeg. I can't really say it smells outdoorsy, because there aren't enough natural elements emanating from it (oakmoss, oud, vetiver) to warrant that "camping outside" feel. Wear this one particularly on cold days.

Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne

It's funny that I'm seeing the scent pyramid and that Vanille Insensée has all of these notes, because when I was smelling it at the Atelier store, all I really smelled was vanilla bean. It's not bad, in fact it's smoother than the pure vanilla madness of Love by Kilian. But honestly, it's not too original and it doesn't really waver from that one note.

Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne

I like this one. When I was sniffing it in the store, I found myself making comparisons to L'Air du Desert Marocain. It has the same earthiness, but the opening is more citrusy and you really do smell that mandarin and bergamote. The dry down is crisp and earthy, definitely less sweet. I could actually see myself wearing this as a more versatile and wearable alternative to LDDM.

Black Aoud by Montale

I bought this a few hours ago and I'm loving it more and more as time passes. I'm a big fan of rose scents, and this smells almost like a fresh, flowery soap on me, but a bit more masculine. Don't buy this if you don't like aoud (obviously), and don't buy this if you don't like rose. The initial blast is that rose, the middle becomes woody and slightly leathery, and the dry down is deep and woody, like smelling dirt in the forest. According to the nice people at MiN, this is a "french" aoud, whatever that means. Very classy scent,though admittedly a little on the feminine side. Most people seem to call this a projection monster, but I think I can safely wear 3 or 4 blasts of this. Beautiful!

14 February, 2012

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Back when I knew absolutely nothing about scents and was just casually trying them for fun, I liked Blanche a lot. When I wised up a little, I realized that this smells like, well, furniture polish. That's what you get. The opening is too much lemon, but there isn't really anything else to balance out the pure citrus. The dry down is actually quite nice though, the perfect creamy blend of vanilla and lemon. The bottom notes kick in a few hours later, a sharp pepper. You should put this on at least 30 minutes before going wherever you're going so that the pure palmolive layer goes away and the creamy layer kicks in.

12 February, 2012

Love by By Kilian

I'm judging this so harshly based mostly on the price. If I wanted to spend $225 to smell like vanilla ice cream, I'd...spend $225 on vanilla ice cream. All I really smell is that candy sweet vanilla, with a little bit of sharpness coming in on occasion from the florals. It's too sweet to the extent that it's almost tasteless. I honestly don't dislike the smell, I just don't think it's worth the cost and that this fragrance isn't that complicated.

09 February, 2012

Lyric Man by Amouage

As a student, I can barely afford main stream fragrances (or even to, you know, eat), so I didn't think in a million years that I'd find myself desiring anything from Amouage. But at first sniff, I find myself wanting this at fragrance regardless of cost. The recipe is so complex, I definitely can't pick out specific notes, but we begin with a deeper more syrupy sweetness (despite the topnotes being bergamote and lime), almost like a combination of molasses and lychee. The rose permeates the whole time, and after a while it becomes woodier, though that sweetness lingers. Then the leather kicks in, just enough to be interesting, followed by a smooth creaminess, maybe vanilla or tonka bean. This fragrance has many layers that interchange and weave in and out throughout its wear. A beauty among orientals and perhaps fragrances in general.

09 February, 2012

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Give it a chance! It's not my thing because the opening is too harsh, but I definitely love the dry down- a very pleasant coffee, caramel, chocolate, overall dessert feel. Don't wear this if you're gonna be in enclosed places (not safe for elevators!), but maybe more for outside or at least ventilated areas. Funny, I have a sample that's been sitting for about a month, and when I sprayed it, I liked it a lot because it was weaker. If sweet's your thing, look past the opening and you'll love this one.

07 February, 2012

Happy for Men by Clinique

This is a great starter fragrance. Basically, it's mandarin orange, and well, nothing else. I hear some people complaining about how it's synthetic, but come one, for 35-40 dollars you're obviously not gonna get exotic, authentic ingredients. You can't expect this to be niche quality. But if you want something that smells extremely fresh and very clean, and that might even get you a compliment or two (I actually got compliments on this one!) and you're fairly new into the fragrance world, this one is highly recommended.

05 February, 2012

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

I really want to defend this unpopular scent. The margarita takes over more than anything else (almost indistinguishable from the other fruit notes). I never really got much of the gourmand, rather I find that the margarita lingers throughout. I love it! Beautiful and unique, just sour and salty enough to give it life and make it stand out from any other citrus-aquatic. I'm definitely not the only person who smelled this for the first time and thought "WOW!!"

26 January, 2012

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A gem. Terre's EDT version beats the parfum in my book. Several reviews say that the parfum is "more subtle", but I have to disagree To me, parfum is too sweet and cloyingly in your face, while EDT focuses more on the woods, a bit of pepper, and the eponymous "earthiness". But that's just my personal opinion- I also believe you can't go wrong with either.

26 January, 2012