Reviews by del

del's avatar
    del

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme smells a lot different from the original Homme Sport. It is a Tonka-heavy fragrance -- powerful with a pretty good longevity. Its freshness comes from the minty opening with mild citruses, but overall, it has the same powdery vibe as Code Ultimate by Armani.

Performance is above-average compared to other designer colognes in the market. I wore this a lot in the summer of 2012, and it gave me a solid 5-6 hours power-punch projection before it decreases its strength. A very good scent for the price.

19 May, 2014

Choco Musk by Al Rehab

Choco Musk Perfume Oil is a warm and delicious gourmand scent dominated by chocolate and vanilla. It is true to its name, and to my nose, it smells like a combination of a bakeshop and a hot chocolate/cocoa drink, just like its more expensive niche counterpart Chocolate Greedy by Montale.

Choco Musk is a delectable treat for all fans of chocolate scent. It is extremely long-lasting, with a nice sillage. A really great fragrance for the price (less than $4 for the 6ml roll-on). Two thumbs up for Choco Musk!

14 May, 2014

Royal Oud by Creed

Royal Oud has some earthiness in it, and some tea vibe as it progresses -- it actually reminds me of Gucci Pour Homme II (GPH II). As for Oud, it is so soft, if there's any. If you’re expecting an M7 type of oud, you'll be disappointed.

Royal Oud is versatile and a gentle performer that leaves a soft sweet scent trail. Longevity is inconsistent -- lasts about 5-6 hours on my skin on a good day without reapplication.

Royal Oud is a nice offering from Creed that is at least worth sampling. Enjoyable scent. Spotty longevity. Pricey bottle. Neutral rating.

07 April, 2014

Wings for Men by Wings

Wings for Men -- while the bottle design looks nice, the juice inside is too sharp and highly synthetic. It smells like a combination of metal and plastic on skin. Not recommended for office setting as this is an obnoxiously loud fragrance that lasts a long time. Wings is one those scents where cheap price = cheapness. Thumbs way down.

05 April, 2014

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Versace Man Eau Fraiche starts off citrusy, and ends musky sweet. Hint of woods holds everything together. A common "aquatic" scent -- fresh, clean, and light, but projects quite nicely. Doesn't have lasting power though, so if you're into this type of scent, reapplication is necessary.

Eau Fraiche has a casual and youthful feel. It isn’t bad for warmer months, but for the price there are better options of this genre out there. Hence, the neutral rating.

05 April, 2014

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

Aqua Quorum has no resemblance to the original Quorum at all. AQ smells clean, fresh, a little fruity, and somewhat sweet… really brings back memories of Polo Sport. The main difference besides the cheap price is that Aqua Quorum performs way better.

In the midst of freshness, there's a non-persistent sour note that doesn't quite belong, but it is just brief. Some elements of Cool Water could be detected when the initial sharpness settles. In some reviews, AQ was even compared to Wings, but the latter is too sharp and highly synthetic, whereas AQ is softer, gentler, more natural, and smells ten times better off of skin.

Aqua Quorum is lively, casual, sporty, and versatile. A very pleasant scent to refresh with after a workout. Truly enjoyable and very easy to like. Blind-bought and will reorder again.

03 April, 2014

Aramis by Aramis

I obliged when the store owner asked me to try Aramis since I knew it is a classic scent. Aramis is a powerful one, but not in a good way -- offensive and unpleasant to my nose. So I rushed home to wash my wrist off. Really can’t stand this one. If you’re thinking of buying this blind, think a hundred times.

09 March, 2014

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

I found Cerruti Image as one of those scents perfect for work setting: clean and fresh with a quiet projection. On my skin, it didn’t last as long as I wanted, but I had no problems reapplying mid-day as the scent is inoffensive. The scent is a little fruity and a little sweet, but manly. The lever sprayer is a nice feature – adds character to the bottle.

Cerruti Image is a very good fragrance if you are looking for a safe scent for warmer season.

07 March, 2014

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I fell in love with the current formulation of Egoiste the first time I smelled it. The initial blast might be a little harsh or “edgy” to some, but it only lasts for a short time. The overall scent is smooth & warm, spicy & sweet, and woody… the complexity of rose, cinnamon, vanilla, and sandalwood creates a well-blended creaminess of Egoiste. It is top notch. Egoiste has a lasting power on my skin with decent projection after that brief, strong opening.

Chanel Egoiste is a unique masterpiece – a fantastic fragrance I can’t be without.

03 March, 2014

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Spritueuse Double Vanille is an intoxicating, warm, sweet scent. It stays sweet, smooth, and boozy from the beginning – smells like a delicious cocktail of vanilla float and some liquor, then dries down to something like a vanilla/flour cupcake that my mother used to bake in the morning.

SDV is a well-rounded, resinous scent. It is soft, but a single spray to the neck really lasts, and the scent projects quite nicely. Guerlain brings sweet/vanilla scents to another level – SDV is a truly comforting scent and I love smelling it wafting off my skin. Sure the full bottle is pricey, but a small decant will last a long time.

16 February, 2014

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Starts off with something sharp and metallic, then transforms to something soapy. I honestly tried to like it, but I got tired of it. I initially rated this a thumbs-down, but Platinum Egoiste has a clean, just-out-of-the-shower freshness, and I admit it smells better on others (on my father) than on me.

The longevity on my skin is poor, and didn’t really project in my experience. A decent scent, pretty safe, but isn’t for me.

12 February, 2014

Gold Man by Amouage

Gold Man, to my nose, is a combo of floral and strong talcum/baby powder scents, but heavier on the latter. Despite its name, it leans towards the feminine side. I give it a very weak neutral vote, but it earns an additional half-star due to its longevity and projection. If you like wearing "too powdery-", musky-type of scent, then go for it. One thing for sure: Gold Man by Amouage isn't for me, even if I want to be bold.

29 October, 2013

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Sweet, Warm , and Youthful

Diesel Plus Plus Masculine is one of the scents that hooked me into sweet fragrances. It smells like an assortment of candied fruits, kind of like sugary, but maintains masculinity. The mellowed sweetness after the brief strong opening, is really pleasant and not cloying. Overall, it is milky/creamy -- a really warm fragrance if you want to feel youthful or if you are around younger crowd.
    The longevity is very good – I use 5-7 sprays spread out around my body and neck, and the projection is not over-empowering. Don’t be fooled by the price (around $15-$20), Diesel++ Masculine is an enjoyable scent that is quite unique.... it will always be a part of my wardrobe.

Pros: Very affordable
    Cons: Maybe "too youthful" to some"

06 August, 2013

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Woody and Manly, Perfect for a Confident Gentleman

The mix of spices and woods creates an intriguing airiness in Gucci Pour Homme’s opening. Then the dryness of woods dominate -- the pencil shavings vibe is there with sweet undertone. The sweetness is mellow, and it remains until the end, backing up the wood, which is the main player throughout.

On my skin, longevity is very good, but GPH is quite timid projection-wise, giving out ocassional whiffs at unexpected times. Gucci Pour Homme I is definitely masculine, perfect for a mature man brimming with confidence. Why Gucci had to discontinue this quality fragrance is beyond me.

Pros: Distinctive and long-lasting
    Cons: Expensive; Discontinued

03 July, 2013

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

Fruity, Youthful, and Feminine - a pleasant surprise

I’m just a simple man who enjoys good scents, and Wonderstruck is a pleasant surprise despite being a celebrity fragrance. So here’s a short review without over-analyzing it: Wonderstruck smells fruity, floral, fresh, and sweet, with the fruitiness lingering throughout its scent life.

Wonderstruck has a youthful personality – carefree and casual. So, if you are a young lady who simply wants to smell extra-nice after a shower, Wonderstruck is a pretty good perfume to use as it gets the job done: which is to make you smell and feel better. Well done, Taylor Swift.

24 May, 2013

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Zesty, Refreshing, and Woodsy

Guerlain Homme -- lime and minty, light and zesty. A very nice citrus scent, which reminds me of a cold and sparkling drink on a hot summer day while lying on the beach under that big umbrella. Refreshing! Then it dries down to something woodsy.

Guerlain Homme smells modern, and compared to the modest amount of fresh fragrances that I've tried before, I think it is also quite unique. Performance-wise, I wish it lasted longer on my skin, though.

22 May, 2013

Aventus by Creed

Smells nice -- hyped and pricey but worth a sample

Writing as a casual fragrance user, I think the fruity opening is fresh and inviting, and as the scent progresses, I want to sniff it even more. The projection is pretty wide for the first 30 to 45 minutes, then becomes a personal cloud for a few hours, before sitting on skin the rest of the way. There’s an inconsistent ash note in the middle, comparable to a cigarette ashtray; sometimes I smell it, sometimes I don’t. Aventus  dries down to a nice musky scent with faint sweetness.

Just like GIT, Aventus has an average longevity on my skin, but lasts very long on unwashed shirt. It’s a nice fragrance -- hyped and pricey, but worth a try/sample.

Pros: Fresh and inviting scent
    Cons: Average longevity

22 May, 2013

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Light, Pleasant, Fresh and Clean Aquatic

I'm typing this review based on my nice memories of Polo Sport: it was the bomb during my college years, and everyone seemed to love it back then, as it smelled fresh, clean, and a little fruity-sweet.

The initial alcohol-y blast projects widely, like the fume is morphing to a hand gently guiding your nose to the wearer. I still remember how it used to turn heads minutes after application. Polo Sport quickly becomes a pleasant aquatic after that.

Polo Sport isn’t a bad fragrance, but it is light, so it lacks lasting power. If you really like the scent, make sure to carry a splash mini-bottle and reapply as needed like I did back in college.

Pros: Pleasant and a head-turner
    Cons: Fades quickly

21st May, 2013

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

Yummy bakeshop scent, almost edible!

Chocolate Greedy takes you inside a bakeshop  -  a chocolate-mocha cake in your one hand, and a sponge cake in the other, then you sit by the trays of chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting. The notes tumble from chocolate powder mix to pastry, with noticeable nuts, almonds, and faint orange before settling to warm vanilla/cocoa that smells like the leftover powder at the bottom of the glass of the finished chocolate milk drink. (Think Nesquik)

Chocolate Greedy lasts a long time, with a nice projection. The “sticky/thick” quality can be cloying if sprayed more than twice on a hot day. Other than that, It’s a must-try scent for every sweet-scents lover searching for a delicious gourmand.

Pros: Warm, Deicious Gourmand
    Cons: Its sticky/thick vibe can be cloying

21st May, 2013

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Review by del

Frapin 1270 is a delicious gourmandish scent. The sweetness is soft, yet  creamy, caramely with some nuts in the middle. Overall, it is warm,  boozy, and intoxicating with a nice vanilla drydown. Judging the scent alone, I think Frapin 1270 is a fantastic juice – it’s one of the few fragrances that made me smile upon initial application.

The longevity is just decent  using my dab vial, and it seems to sit closely on my skin, but I’m getting faint whiffs of it ocassionally. Frapin 1270 needs to be unleashed from the spray bottle, it is that good!

19 May, 2013

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

A nice cheapie – spicy/warm/woody/ambery sweet , and I like it. Short-lived, but it will give a strong sillage the first couple of hours before fading to skin. Most young teenagers I’ve interacted with liked this scent and gave some funny comments which I took as compliments – a girl claims it “smells like a delicious waffle”; on a separate ocassion, one boy says it smells “expensive”.

I finished a couple of bottles of this before joining here, and bought another one for my father since he likes it, too. An enjoyable scent, especially for the price ($20-$25/100ml). Hence, the thumbsup

12 May, 2013

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Everything has been said about Green Irish Tweed already, so I’m going to make this concise, and avoid any Cool Water comparison:

GIT starts with strong but well-rounded green or leafy notes matched with lemony scent; sometimes it almost smells like garden plants. GIT transitions smoothly to the middle as the floral notes emerge with some non-sugary sweetness. Few hours later, GIT dries down to a sweet, musky scent. Longevity is average on my skin, but longer on fabric though; the scent projects strongly in the beginning, but gradually fades in the next couple of hours.

Overall, GIT is a natural-smelling, fresh, clean fragrance with a sporty vibe and great versatility. A solid starting niche fragrance for all ages, as Green Irish Tweed is a timeless classic. Two thumbs-up for this Creed.

06 May, 2013

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

N on-projecting woody “fragrance”
    O lfactory fatigue? Anosmia? I think not.
    T ried several times, results are the same:
    H 2O with alcohol in the opening
    I SO-E Super is this fragrance’s base
    N ose buried to skin, searching
    G one in six hundred sixty-six seconds, more or less.

04 May, 2013 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2013)

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

This one doesn’t need a lengthy detailed review: Paris Hilton for Men is a simple and casual scent that smells like a fresh fruit. A little sweet and light, well-suited for warmer months – a comforting wear when lounging around the house. The longevity is decent, and the projection is nice for the first couple of hours before becoming a skin-scent.

Paris Hilton for Men might find a place in my wardrobe if I was younger. Definitely not a bad fragrance for the price.

28 April, 2013

Geir by Geir Ness

Geir is a floral scent that smells fresh, clean, and pleasant. It also has some element of coolness and sweetness to it. When wearing this, I imagine myself lying in a grassy field around brightly-colored flowers on a sunny and breezy day of pre-Spring season. Comforting and relaxing.

The longevity is pretty good. Despite of its softness, I keep getting whiffs of it for five, six straight hours, before it sits on skin the rest of the way.

Thumbs up for Geir; it’s the kind of scent you’ll never get tired of smelling.

21st April, 2013

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

A Taste of Fragrance is a unique gourmand that reminds me of a hot spicy aroma that sticks to the clothes after dining in a South Asian cuisine. There’s a very brief cherry opening that lasts for about a couple of minutes then the coffee and strong spices rise. ToF is a long-lasting fragrance, veiled by spices, and it dries down to a scent that reminds me of Pure Malt.

While I understand that A Taste of Fragrance has an appeal to people who want to stand out, it is just not my style. It’s something I wouldn’t wear for myself or around others. A solid release from Mugler, nonetheless.

21st April, 2013

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It was in summer of 2010 when a Sales Assistant pushed Bleu, and I found it generic, so I walked away. I made a full wearing about a year later, and realized: it is actually an enjoyable scent.

BdC is a quality fragrance: a semi-aquatic scent, well-balanced citrus (not the too zesty type), with an added sweetness. To me, Bleu dries down to a musky vibe. Overall, it is clean and inoffensive, but can be a little loud when oversprayed. A really pleasant fragrance, which makes it perfect for office/work environment.

For a fresh and modern scent, its longevity is above average, and the projection is very good. The dark blue bottle is a simple yet elegant no non-sense design, and the magnetic cap is a nice touch!

Ignoring the negative preconceived notions about Bleu, I gave it a shot. I’m glad it's now in my wardrobe and part of my regular rotation, especially during the warmer season. Chanel does a good job marketing Bleu; and in my opinion, it will become a classic scent in the years to come.

18 April, 2013

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Eau des Baux is really nice -- woody, sweet yet masculine, with a touch of spices. I agree with others, EdB smells natural. The vanilla reminds me of a wafer, but the scent is controlled and is really pleasant -- I love smelling this fragrance with my eyes closed. It feels like a tickle to the nose.

The longevity and projection are both excellent. For the price, you really can't wrong with this wonderful fragrance.

12 April, 2013

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men/Angel Men reminds me of the delicious aroma of a hot chocolate rice porridge (champorado) on a cold morning. Distinctive, especially the opening "tar" note, which gives it a unique incense vibe. Caramel-y, sweet, chocolate-y -- the drydown is rich and creamy. Longevity is excellent, and the projection is wide, despite the reformulation rumors.

Strong, maybe too strong to some people -- one or two sprays go a long way. I agree with majority's sentiment that A*Men is a love-hate fragrance; and I fall under the love camp. This great gourmand is a must-experience.

09 April, 2013

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Pure Havane wowed me the first time I sampled it during its discontinued status. The opening of honey-tobacco (leaves) is syrupy, and is very addictive. PH differs from the original A*Men in a way that it is lighter/brigther thus making it more wearable, and if you smell deeper, there's a slight mint accord which lingers through mid-phase, along with the subtle tobacco. The drydown is a creamy vanilla/chocolate. Pleasant and delicious.

The original is still the best, but of all the flankers that I've tried, Pure Havane is at the very top. Very good longevity and projection, and a consistent compliment-getter. So when Thierry Mugler re-released it on their website back in early 2012, I just had to order it promptly.

04 April, 2013