Reviews by del

Donald Duck by Disney

I remember buying Donald Duck just for fun back in 2003. I remember it smelling like Cool-Waters-lite for kids. The scent nice - a little sharp/synthetic, and doesn’t last long. The bottle is childish for a teenager, but it would serve as a nice memorabilia eventually. Other than that, Donald Duck is a decent gift for boys who are beginning to explore the complex world of fragrances.
04th January, 2017

Silver by Al Rehab

Silver by Al Rehab is known as the closest clone to Silver Mountain Water, my favorite Creed. So I bought the 35ml spray first, then the roll-on. Read ahead to find out why I purchased one after the other...

...The spray was headache-inducing and almost made me throw up. Too sharp; too metallic; and it smelled cheap. I had to give it away. The redeeming point was the oil roll-on, which somehow resembles SMW. Hence, the neutral rating. However, I wouldn’t call even call it a substitute or a replacement to the latter.

In closing, I’d say skip Silver. Comparing it to SMW is an insult to the latter. Save your money and get a decant/split of the real thing. The differences in quality and overall scent are very significant.
29th December, 2016

Cereus pour Homme No. 4 by Cereus

Cereus pour Homme No. 4 smells like green apples to me -- it is fruity, fresh, with a little bit of tanginess. The blend makes for pleasant scent. The opening reminds me of the tiny multi-colored bead fresheners that the kids were addicted to back in my High School years. There’s some muskiness in the drydown that is quite similar to Versace Eau Fraiche, but the fruitiness stays in the background.

On my skin, longevity is just average, so is the projection. But for $15 shipped on ebay (2.5 oz tester, no cap, no box), you can’t go wrong with Cereus 4, especially during the warmer months.
29th December, 2016

Tres Nuit by Armaf

Tres Nuit has been compared to Creed's classic Green Irish Tweed, and I agree with the sentiments.

I think Tres Nuit is "calmer" in the opening than GIT, and the violet asserts itself after several minutes that it resembles to a scent similar to Cereus 7. The drydown is a little sweet; the overall aroma is close to GIT.

For the price, the longevity is pretty good, but it has a quiet projection, and stays on my skin. A good everyday substitute for GIT if you are saving the latter for more important events.
28th December, 2016

Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Cedrat Boise by Mancera has a fruity opening, and then it transforms to something familiar to me: fresh, woody, and a little sweet -- one of my favorite scents back in college -- the first version of Colors for Men by Benetton. Cedrat Boise is a lot better, though, and more modern. A gourmet version of fast-food Colors for Men.

Wearing just a dab sample, Cedrat Boise's longevity is excellent on my skin, and the projection is moderate at best. If you can afford to purchase a full bottle, I'd say go for it.
08th December, 2016

Samba Skin Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Samba Skin Man reminds me of my favorite Mugler - A*Men Pure Havane, especially in the opening. It is pleasantly sweet, syrupy, and not cloying. Although Samba Skin Man lacks the sparkling quality of Pure Havane, for the price it is a pretty good substitute with average longevity on my skin. I really like it.

If you have a spare $15, Samba Skin Man is a safe blind buy, especially in the colder months. Thumbs up in my book.
03rd June, 2016

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Gaultier 2 opens to a bubblegum scent, which will probably remind you of the newer fragrances like One Million (2008) and L’Homme Parfum Intense (2013). It smells really sweet, candy-like, that transforms into vanilla wafer/cookie after a long time. It is potent and long-lasting. A couple of sprays go a long a way. The dry-down smells like a mixed version of Angel and a vanilla scent from Victoria Secret.

If you are into this type of scents, then you’ll probably like this. A thumbs-up, but unenthusiastically.
23rd December, 2014

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

AdG Essenza smells really nice, fresh, and pleasant, which is not really a surprise because of the familiar name. However, I find Essenza as the smooth version of the original AdG, which was sharp for my taste when I had it back in the 90’s. Generally speaking, Essenza has a citrusy-aquatic feel, floral (jasmine), with a touch of spices.

Essenza has an above-average performance on my skin. Lasts all day, with moderate projection. A little pricey ($90 for 2.5 oz), but worth it, considering it is an EDP concentration.
09th October, 2014

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme smells a lot different from the original Homme Sport. It is a Tonka-heavy fragrance -- powerful with a pretty good longevity. Its freshness comes from the minty opening with mild citruses, but overall, it has the same powdery vibe as Code Ultimate by Armani.

Performance is above-average compared to other designer colognes in the market. I wore this a lot in the summer of 2012, and it gave me a solid 5-6 hours power-punch projection before it decreases its strength. A very good scent for the price.
19th May, 2014

Choco Musk by Al Rehab

Choco Musk Perfume Oil is a warm and delicious gourmand scent dominated by chocolate and vanilla. It is true to its name, and to my nose, it smells like a combination of a bakeshop and a hot chocolate/cocoa drink, just like its more expensive niche counterpart Chocolate Greedy by Montale.

Choco Musk is a delectable treat for all fans of chocolate scent. It is extremely long-lasting, with a nice sillage. A really great fragrance for the price (less than $4 for the 6ml roll-on). Two thumbs up for Choco Musk!
14th May, 2014

Royal Oud by Creed

Royal Oud has some earthiness in it, and some tea vibe as it progresses -- it actually reminds me of Gucci Pour Homme II (GPH II). As for Oud, it is so soft, if there's any. If you’re expecting an M7 type of oud, you'll be disappointed.

Royal Oud is versatile and a gentle performer that leaves a soft sweet scent trail. Longevity is inconsistent -- lasts about 5-6 hours on my skin on a good day without reapplication.

Royal Oud is a nice offering from Creed that is at least worth sampling. Enjoyable scent. Spotty longevity. Pricey bottle. Neutral rating.
07th April, 2014

Wings for Men by Wings

Wings for Men -- while the bottle design looks nice, the juice inside is too sharp and highly synthetic. It smells like a combination of metal and plastic on skin. Not recommended for office setting as this is an obnoxiously loud fragrance that lasts a long time. Wings is one those scents where cheap price = cheapness. Thumbs way down.
05th April, 2014

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Versace Man Eau Fraiche starts off citrusy, and ends musky sweet. Hint of woods holds everything together. A common "aquatic" scent -- fresh, clean, and light, but projects quite nicely. Doesn't have lasting power though, so if you're into this type of scent, reapplication is necessary.

Eau Fraiche has a casual and youthful feel. It isn’t bad for warmer months, but for the price there are better options of this genre out there. Hence, the neutral rating.
05th April, 2014

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

Aqua Quorum has no resemblance to the original Quorum at all. AQ smells clean, fresh, a little fruity, and somewhat sweet… really brings back memories of Polo Sport. The main difference besides the cheap price is that Aqua Quorum performs way better.

In the midst of freshness, there's a non-persistent sour note that doesn't quite belong, but it is just brief. Some elements of Cool Water could be detected when the initial sharpness settles. In some reviews, AQ was even compared to Wings, but the latter is too sharp and highly synthetic, whereas AQ is softer, gentler, more natural, and smells ten times better off of skin.

Aqua Quorum is lively, casual, sporty, and versatile. A very pleasant scent to refresh with after a workout. Truly enjoyable and very easy to like. Blind-bought and will reorder again.
03rd April, 2014

Aramis by Aramis

I obliged when the store owner asked me to try Aramis since I knew it is a classic scent. Aramis is a powerful one, but not in a good way -- offensive and unpleasant to my nose. So I rushed home to wash my wrist off. Really can’t stand this one. If you’re thinking of buying this blind, think a hundred times.
09th March, 2014

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

I found Cerruti Image as one of those scents perfect for work setting: clean and fresh with a quiet projection. On my skin, it didn’t last as long as I wanted, but I had no problems reapplying mid-day as the scent is inoffensive. The scent is a little fruity and a little sweet, but manly. The lever sprayer is a nice feature – adds character to the bottle.

Cerruti Image is a very good fragrance if you are looking for a safe scent for warmer season.
07th March, 2014

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I fell in love with the current formulation of Egoiste the first time I smelled it. The initial blast might be a little harsh or “edgy” to some, but it only lasts for a short time. The overall scent is smooth & warm, spicy & sweet, and woody… the complexity of rose, cinnamon, vanilla, and sandalwood creates a well-blended creaminess of Egoiste. It is top notch. Egoiste has a lasting power on my skin with decent projection after that brief, strong opening.

Chanel Egoiste is a unique masterpiece – a fantastic fragrance I can’t be without.
03rd March, 2014

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Spritueuse Double Vanille is an intoxicating, warm, sweet scent. It stays sweet, smooth, and boozy from the beginning – smells like a delicious cocktail of vanilla float and some liquor, then dries down to something like a vanilla/flour cupcake that my mother used to bake in the morning.

SDV is a well-rounded, resinous scent. It is soft, but a single spray to the neck really lasts, and the scent projects quite nicely. Guerlain brings sweet/vanilla scents to another level – SDV is a truly comforting scent and I love smelling it wafting off my skin. Sure the full bottle is pricey, but a small decant will last a long time.
16th February, 2014

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Starts off with something sharp and metallic, then transforms to something soapy. I honestly tried to like it, but I got tired of it. I initially rated this a thumbs-down, but Platinum Egoiste has a clean, just-out-of-the-shower freshness, and I admit it smells better on others (on my father) than on me.

The longevity on my skin is poor, and didn’t really project in my experience. A decent scent, pretty safe, but isn’t for me.
12th February, 2014

Gold Man by Amouage

Gold Man, to my nose, is a combo of floral and strong talcum/baby powder scents, but heavier on the latter. Despite its name, it leans towards the feminine side. I give it a very weak neutral vote, but it earns an additional half-star due to its longevity and projection. If you like wearing "too powdery-", musky-type of scent, then go for it. One thing for sure: Gold Man by Amouage isn't for me, even if I want to be bold.
29th October, 2013

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Sweet, Warm , and Youthful

Diesel Plus Plus Masculine is one of the scents that hooked me into sweet fragrances. It smells like an assortment of candied fruits, kind of like sugary, but maintains masculinity. The mellowed sweetness after the brief strong opening, is really pleasant and not cloying. Overall, it is milky/creamy -- a really warm fragrance if you want to feel youthful or if you are around younger crowd.
The longevity is very good – I use 5-7 sprays spread out around my body and neck, and the projection is not over-empowering. Don’t be fooled by the price (around $15-$20), Diesel++ Masculine is an enjoyable scent that is quite unique.... it will always be a part of my wardrobe.

Pros: Very affordable
Cons: Maybe "too youthful" to some"

06th August, 2013

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Woody and Manly, Perfect for a Confident Gentleman

The mix of spices and woods creates an intriguing airiness in Gucci Pour Homme’s opening. Then the dryness of woods dominate -- the pencil shavings vibe is there with sweet undertone. The sweetness is mellow, and it remains until the end, backing up the wood, which is the main player throughout.

On my skin, longevity is very good, but GPH is quite timid projection-wise, giving out ocassional whiffs at unexpected times. Gucci Pour Homme I is definitely masculine, perfect for a mature man brimming with confidence. Why Gucci had to discontinue this quality fragrance is beyond me.

Pros: Distinctive and long-lasting
Cons: Expensive; Discontinued

03rd July, 2013

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

Fruity, Youthful, and Feminine - a pleasant surprise

I’m just a simple man who enjoys good scents, and Wonderstruck is a pleasant surprise despite being a celebrity fragrance. So here’s a short review without over-analyzing it: Wonderstruck smells fruity, floral, fresh, and sweet, with the fruitiness lingering throughout its scent life.

Wonderstruck has a youthful personality – carefree and casual. So, if you are a young lady who simply wants to smell extra-nice after a shower, Wonderstruck is a pretty good perfume to use as it gets the job done: which is to make you smell and feel better. Well done, Taylor Swift.

24th May, 2013

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Zesty, Refreshing, and Woodsy

Guerlain Homme -- lime and minty, light and zesty. A very nice citrus scent, which reminds me of a cold and sparkling drink on a hot summer day while lying on the beach under that big umbrella. Refreshing! Then it dries down to something woodsy.

Guerlain Homme smells modern, and compared to the modest amount of fresh fragrances that I've tried before, I think it is also quite unique. Performance-wise, I wish it lasted longer on my skin, though.

22nd May, 2013

Aventus by Creed

Smells nice -- hyped and pricey but worth a sample

Writing as a casual fragrance user, I think the fruity opening is fresh and inviting, and as the scent progresses, I want to sniff it even more. The projection is pretty wide for the first 30 to 45 minutes, then becomes a personal cloud for a few hours, before sitting on skin the rest of the way. There’s an inconsistent ash note in the middle, comparable to a cigarette ashtray; sometimes I smell it, sometimes I don’t. Aventus  dries down to a nice musky scent with faint sweetness.

Just like GIT, Aventus has an average longevity on my skin, but lasts very long on unwashed shirt. It’s a nice fragrance -- hyped and pricey, but worth a try/sample.

Pros: Fresh and inviting scent
Cons: Average longevity

22nd May, 2013

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Light, Pleasant, Fresh and Clean Aquatic

I'm typing this review based on my nice memories of Polo Sport: it was the bomb during my college years, and everyone seemed to love it back then, as it smelled fresh, clean, and a little fruity-sweet.

The initial alcohol-y blast projects widely, like the fume is morphing to a hand gently guiding your nose to the wearer. I still remember how it used to turn heads minutes after application. Polo Sport quickly becomes a pleasant aquatic after that.

Polo Sport isn’t a bad fragrance, but it is light, so it lacks lasting power. If you really like the scent, make sure to carry a splash mini-bottle and reapply as needed like I did back in college.

Pros: Pleasant and a head-turner
Cons: Fades quickly

21st May, 2013

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

Yummy bakeshop scent, almost edible!

Chocolate Greedy takes you inside a bakeshop  -  a chocolate-mocha cake in your one hand, and a sponge cake in the other, then you sit by the trays of chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting. The notes tumble from chocolate powder mix to pastry, with noticeable nuts, almonds, and faint orange before settling to warm vanilla/cocoa that smells like the leftover powder at the bottom of the glass of the finished chocolate milk drink. (Think Nesquik)

Chocolate Greedy lasts a long time, with a nice projection. The “sticky/thick” quality can be cloying if sprayed more than twice on a hot day. Other than that, It’s a must-try scent for every sweet-scents lover searching for a delicious gourmand.

Pros: Warm, Deicious Gourmand
Cons: Its sticky/thick vibe can be cloying

21st May, 2013

1270 by Frapin

Review by del

Frapin 1270 is a delicious gourmandish scent. The sweetness is soft, yet  creamy, caramely with some nuts in the middle. Overall, it is warm,  boozy, and intoxicating with a nice vanilla drydown. Judging the scent alone, I think Frapin 1270 is a fantastic juice – it’s one of the few fragrances that made me smile upon initial application.

The longevity is just decent  using my dab vial, and it seems to sit closely on my skin, but I’m getting faint whiffs of it ocassionally. Frapin 1270 needs to be unleashed from the spray bottle, it is that good!

19th May, 2013

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

A nice cheapie – spicy/warm/woody/ambery sweet , and I like it. Short-lived, but it will give a strong sillage the first couple of hours before fading to skin. Most young teenagers I’ve interacted with liked this scent and gave some funny comments which I took as compliments – a girl claims it “smells like a delicious waffle”; on a separate ocassion, one boy says it smells “expensive”.

I finished a couple of bottles of this before joining here, and bought another one for my father since he likes it, too. An enjoyable scent, especially for the price ($20-$25/100ml). Hence, the thumbsup
12th May, 2013

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Everything has been said about Green Irish Tweed already, so I’m going to make this concise, and avoid any Cool Water comparison:

GIT starts with strong but well-rounded green or leafy notes matched with lemony scent; sometimes it almost smells like garden plants. GIT transitions smoothly to the middle as the floral notes emerge with some non-sugary sweetness. Few hours later, GIT dries down to a sweet, musky scent. Longevity is average on my skin, but longer on fabric though; the scent projects strongly in the beginning, but gradually fades in the next couple of hours.

Overall, GIT is a natural-smelling, fresh, clean fragrance with a sporty vibe and great versatility. A solid starting niche fragrance for all ages, as Green Irish Tweed is a timeless classic. Two thumbs-up for this Creed.
06th May, 2013