Reviews by Sticky Threads

Sticky Threads's avatar
    Sticky Threads

Tokyo by Kenzo

Take the fig from Philosykos, so you have the green sap smell with a little ivy and then imagine gradually moving from that via a handful of dried leaves to something akin to Navegar. Eau de Lierre is a very pleasant scent that feels as though you are passing out of summer and into autumn. Unfortunately it passes all to quickly. Becomes a very close skin scent after an hour, but you can catch it occasionally as you move for a couple more hours

10th May, 2013

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

Very light wood with lots of space in between. Gets interest...

08 May, 2013

Verdon by L'Occitane

I get a urine note from this. Fortunately it's gone n an hour or so anyway. Avoid.

10th April, 2013

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Should be renamed Basil Basil and Basil on my skin. When i first tried this from a tester bottle in a Jo Malone store, It thought the juice had gone off. It was hard work. It has however over the last year or two grown on me. This is a fragrence I am very fond of now and makes me think. It also bucks my Jo Malone trend in that I am aware of it maybe 12 hours after application. Good stuff!

09 April, 2013

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Cologne by Jo Malone

As often happens with Jo Malone's stuff, the initial blast is so beautiful and uplifting. I feel I am sniffing the biggest brightest scent ever. This one is no exception. The first five minutes I am in heaven, then it tails away dramatically. Really nice stuff. Looking forward to the 'Jo Malone Intense, Extreme' range.

06 April, 2013

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

For the couple o f hours before it s gone, it is a beauty. It begins with a citrusy cacao blast and as the citrus tails off, the cacao remains for the full performance, joined by what on my wrist smells like a lighter version of the Fahrenhiet leather note. Brief but very enjoyable.

04 April, 2013

Vetyver by Jo Malone

Agree with Alhamr. This begins with a bright green Vetiver which momentarily gets you thinking 'Guerlain' but the simplicity of Malone rather than the complexity of Guerlain is there. Al so agree with rogalal. For a brief time it is bright indeed. However, on me, the Vetiver burns away to be replaced by a soap note, possibly my least favourite note in fragrance. From A Guerlain Vetiver wannabe to Mugler Cologne in 30 minutes. Fortunately it doesn't hang around long enough to annoy me too much. Thumbs up for the bright opening. Thumbs down for the dry down. Averages out around a wobbly sideways thumb. Ok.

04 April, 2013

154 by Jo Malone

Very different to many Jo Malone's. You done get slapped round the face by fresh fruit. What you do get is a little more restrained and grown up. It is however gone in almost no time at all and closely resembles Guy Laroche' Horizon, which is better, lasts all day and can be picked up on ebay for a fiver. Pass on this one. Get that one instead.

03 April, 2013

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Warm creamy vanilla throughout and a spicy tobacco on top. The comparisons to Tobacco Vanille are fair but this is less angular and more wearable under all circumstances. I get 8 hours from this and wear it often. One of the absolute best cheaper scents money can buy.

02 April, 2013

Oud & Bergamot Cologne by Jo Malone

rbaker said it. Another fresh offering from Jo Malone. Nothing to dislike. Gone in three hours so limited in use, but lovely.

02 April, 2013

Jersey by Chanel

I don't get it. How can a house responsible for such beauty as 31 Rue Cambon, Bois des Iles and Sycomore produce this. Bland.

01st April, 2013

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

About 30 seconds in this turns into something akin to a blurred version of the drydown of Pamplelune and stays like that until it fades completely, approximately one hour after application. Any other notes are barely apparent. Disappointing.

01st April, 2013

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

A perfectly good scent that suffers in my rating because i love the fig scents and there are better out there and also the longevity of this one is poor on me. It stays very close to my skin and is gone in three hours. I enjoy the grassy green fig note and can smell a similar figginess to that of Philosykos, in that I feel I can smell the sap in the twin. Don't really get the cassis at all. Jo Malone's stuff is always clean and fresh, but on this occasion it just comes up a little short.

31st March, 2013

Insensé by Givenchy

I enjoy very much fragrances that have some sort of positive effect on my state of mind. Insense shines in this regard. I am wearing it for the first time ever today and it is just fading from sight after 8 hours. Perfect for a daytime scent. I get the orange and herb mix for a couple if hours with a touch of amber too. Then the florals come through, as advertised. Absolutely spot on as a male fragrance. Then as they fade the orange and herbs are back for an encore. Beautifully done. The clincher though is that srate of mind thing. i feel good. i feel happy. i feel like a vlassy guy and i have been sniffing my freakin' wrists all day. This will come out of my wardrobe on a regular basis. Great stuff!

29 March, 2013

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I have samples of this. I like it. It is a perfectly good office scent. The problem is, when you have GIT and Cool Water, why buy this?

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

I have to fly a lot long distance for work and I am not a happy flyer. I need to find every possible way can to relax. Cuir de Russie is my travel scent. It is pure luxurious comfort. It smells like an old soft leather glove. I am transported to my happy place. Very warm and reassuring. It does not project to far, just as far as my nose when I move and I get a good 10 hours from it. One of the few scents that I cannot be without.

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

A dull little citrus that progresses to an uninteresting air freshener. Fortunately it doesn't last that long.

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

Yep. Amber all the way through but too meek. Almost apologetic. Spices up top, particuarly anise and patchouli coming through in the dry down but this is the second from the Privé collection where I have been underwhelmed by the staying power of the juice. Three hours and it's gone.

26 March, 2013

Armani Privé Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani

Tried this in Giorgio Armani in Short Hills Mall New Jersey. It stayed very quiet on me indeed. The leather came through immediately but I wished I'd started counting cos it felt like it was gone in very little time at all, from then on I just got sandalwood, sandalwood and more sandalwood, if and only if I press my nose to my skin. It didn't progress beyond that at all. Very faint now after less than four hours. Nothing negative, but certainly nothing of interest here.

26 March, 2013