Reviews

Reviews by Nosey49

Ambre & Santal by L'Occitane

Beautiful. The right balance between sweetness and spiciness. Very good sillage and longevity.

Amber lovers should definitely give this a try.
21st June, 2015

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Reading the reviews of Amber Absolute is testimony to the fact that our individual senses of smell are unique. It is alternately described as:

Moldy
Pink Sugar
Marshmallow
Petrol
Animalistic

I get tons of Labdanum and love it. Labdanum, incense, and woods. Absolutely beautiful and, to me, unique. Both sillage and longevity are outstanding.

This is one of my all-time favorites and one of the few fragrances with which I find absolutely no deficiencies.

Pros: Everything
Cons: Discontinued
11th May, 2015

Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie

I agree with previous posters that the opening is stunning and the dry down less so, but for me it is definitely NOT disappointing. Despite this, I still believe overall that Baume du Doge is an very good fragrance. A little more projection and I would classify it as EXCECCENT.
23rd April, 2015

One by Smell Bent

This one is another good offering from Smell Bent. Mostly sweet. The ingredients blend well but, as with most Smell Bent fragrances, don't really develop. What you get at first smell you pretty much get at last smell.

Both sillage and longevity are very good.
08th April, 2015

Never Never Land by Smell Bent

I'll most likely never give a fragrance and absolute thumbs down. Why? Our individual sense of smell is so varied that I don't feel I can totally dis something another may love.

For me, Never, Never Land opens with a wet cardboard smell. Then, it becomes...a wet cardboard smell. After several hours I begin detecting a bit of the amber which seems to replace the cardboard with a bit of sweetness.

Not horrible, but just not for me - at any price.
07th April, 2015

Five by Smell Bent

This is actually pretty good, especially at the price point.

It opens with a very sweet caramel but the tobacco soon makes an entrance adding a little depth. Later the cedar emerges but ever so slightly - just enough to keep Five from being overly sweet.
07th April, 2015

Horny Little Devil by Smell Bent

Cinnamon bomb and a very good one. The sillage is good - but - I was disappointed in the longevity. I have also just tested Smell Bent's Chili Vanilli and Disco Nap as well. Of the three, Horny Little Devil was the only one with poor longevity on my skin. A worthy buy except for the longevity.

Disco Nap by Smell Bent

This one is nice and reminds me of some of the Bond offerings but, at a MUCH lower price. The opening is excellent but the dry down was a little disappointing. Now don't get me wrong - it's still nice. However, the basenotes aren't different or nice enough for me to invest in a full bottle.

Sillage good. Longevity excellent.

Chile Vanilli by Smell Bent

I'm not much of a vanilla fan. On me, vanilla becomes cloying, overpowering, and sickly sweet. BUT - this one is nice. The patchouli and cinnamon tame and subdue the vanilla. It's still very much a vanilla scent and it is the main player. However, the vanilla doesn't dominate the other notes.

Sillage is OK and longevity is very good.

So New York by Bond No. 9

Very nice fragrance but not different or nice enough to warrant the price.
05th March, 2015

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Is it perhaps dated? Certainly, but so is Old Spice and many others popular today.

Is it awesome? Absolutely.
09th February, 2015

Mousse au Café by Maison des Reves

A gourmand lover's dream. Sweet and "foodish" without being cloying. Opens with a dominant coffee note which slowly fades to become just one of the many well-balanced notes at dry down. I get all the notes listed, but none stand out or overpower the others. Soft sillage but very good longevity on my skin. If you're a gourmand lover, I would suggest you try this one.
09th February, 2015

Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio

Fantastic! If you love resins, you have to try this. As the name indicates it is "pure" - pure joy. Sillage and longevity are great.
23rd January, 2015

Original Santal by Creed

I own several Creeds, so my rating isn't based on a prejudice against the line.

This is a pleasant scent that would be good if:

It lasted longer
It wasn't so expensive

Nothing special here. With more sillage and longevity I could easily see adding it to my wardrobe. But, as it, no.
21st January, 2015

Armani Privé Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani

Not being a fan of myrrh, I approached this with trepidation as I checked out the Prive line at Neiman Marcus. I selected a few samples including MI to test back home.

This one is Jekyll and Hyde on me. The opening is fairly harsh and bitter with the myrrh somewhat overpowering - I don't really like it that much. Then, like most fragrances, it begins to develop into something much more pleasant with the myrrh taking a backseat to the other notes. However, unlike most fragrances, the change with MI takes several hours. So, if you get this, be patient.

The final dry down is awesome. The sillage is great and the longevity is out of this world. From one spray on my wrist I could still detect it after several days of showers.

Very good, but perhaps just a little overpriced.
21st January, 2015

Old Bourbon by West Third Brand

I don't get the "bourbon," but this is a pretty nice fragrance. It's sweet, but only a little sweet and difficult for me to describe.

This can be purchased at IndieScents and is extremely reasonably priced.
15th January, 2015

Asian Green Tea by Creed

Nice fragrance but VERY close to the skin. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I want to smell it.
18th November, 2014

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

1725 is absolutely beautiful. Not too sweet. Not too spicy. Just right. I would love a bit more projection and longevity, but this is one of my all time favorites.
07th October, 2014

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

I'm not very skilled at analyzing the notes and can just say this is one outstanding fragrance. Sweet but not too sweet. Sillage and longevity are excellent.
03rd October, 2014

Espresso Royale by Sebastiane

This one is dominated by the coffee note with the other notes creating the foundation upon which it rests. Very nice fragrance but very potent. This is my first full wearing and 3-4 spritzes are a couple too many.
09th September, 2014

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Excellent. Definitely a brother/sister to LADDM. To my nose a cross between LADDM and Jeke. Wore it for the first time yesterday and kept smelling my wrist all day. Probably not for everyone, especially those who most admire the popular, mass-produced "safe" fragrances. If you want to smell great while standing out from the crowd, this may be for you. Since not everyone will like it, get a sample first.
19th June, 2014

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I received this as a "throw in" to make a swap with another basenoter possible and wasn't really expecting to use it. Was I hugely surprised! This is an absolutely fantastic fragrance and gets more compliments that anything else in my wardrobe.

It's just smoooooooooooooooooooooth.........................and sophisticated.
12th May, 2014

Tabac Rouge / Turkish Blend by Phaedon

I'm not good at identifying notes, but this is a lot like Tobacco Vanile only better. Sillage and longevity are excellent.
13th April, 2014

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

I really, really liked this at first but after wearing for a couple of months, it suddenly began to, well, nauseate me. I have no idea why but had to stop using it.

It is a great fragrance - if it doesn't make you sick.
11th March, 2014

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

Just blind bought this. if you're looking for leather, don't go here. What you have instead is a toned-down A Men without the tar note and with a touch of mint. I think it's a fantastic fragrance and better than the three A Men and flankers I've owned: Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and the original A Men.

18th February, 2014

Fusion Sacrée Lui by Majda Bekkali

I wear fragrances not necessarily for the way they smell but for the way they make me feel. Fusion Sacree is fantastic and envelops my head with a wonderful, peaceful, comforting aroma. And, it lasts and lasts, and lasts. It is just a bit sweet for me to assert that it is perfect, but it's darn near close. Perhaps a reformulation will tone down the sweetness a bit.

Definately worth a try.
08th February, 2014

Cuir Velours by Naomi Goodsir

I'm not good at identifying and describing notes, so let me just say that I love this. For me it's all about how the fragrance makes me feel. Cuir Velours just wraps around my head with the most wonderful, soothing fragrance. Not too sweet, not spicy - just right.
03rd February, 2014

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Nice scent but not really that unique.

Sillage is OK.

Longevity is not good. Becomes a skin scent very quickly.

If it were much cheaper I would buy it and reapply during the day.
08th November, 2013

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I Don't Get Fierce

I don't get the hype about Fierce. The other day I travelled 100 miles round trip to the nearest A&F store just to try it. What a disappointment! It may be my chemistry, but to me it smells a bit like a very weak, synthetic, sour version of GIT. Could it have been the tester?

What am I missing?

Pros: Reputation
Cons: Doesn't Smell Good

05th July, 2013

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

If you want to stink, this is the fragrance for you. I don't know what else to say - it's horrible.
29th March, 2013