Reviews by Nosey49

Nosey49's avatar
    Nosey49

So New York by Bond No. 9

Very nice fragrance but not different or nice enough to warrant the price.

05th March, 2015

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Is it perhaps dated? Certainly, but so is Old Spice and many others popular today.

Is it awesome? Absolutely.

09th February, 2015

Mousse au Café by Maison des Reves

A gourmand lover's dream. Sweet and "foodish" without being cloying. Opens with a dominant coffee note which slowly fades to become just one of the many well-balanced notes at dry down. I get all the notes listed, but none stand out or overpower the others. Soft sillage but very good longevity on my skin. If you're a gourmand lover, I would suggest you try this one.

09th February, 2015

Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio

Fantastic! If you love resins, you have to try this. As the name indicates it is "pure" - pure joy. Sillage and longevity are great.

23rd January, 2015

Original Santal by Creed

I own several Creeds, so my rating isn't based on a prejudice against the line.

This is a pleasant scent that would be good if:

It lasted longer
    It wasn't so expensive

Nothing special here. With more sillage and longevity I could easily see adding it to my wardrobe. But, as it, no.

21st January, 2015

Armani Privé Myrrhe Impériale by Giorgio Armani

Not being a fan of myrrh, I approached this with trepidation as I checked out the Prive line at Neiman Marcus. I selected a few samples including MI to test back home.

This one is Jekyll and Hyde on me. The opening is fairly harsh and bitter with the myrrh somewhat overpowering - I don't really like it that much. Then, like most fragrances, it begins to develop into something much more pleasant with the myrrh taking a backseat to the other notes. However, unlike most fragrances, the change with MI takes several hours. So, if you get this, be patient.

The final dry down is awesome. The sillage is great and the longevity is out of this world. From one spray on my wrist I could still detect it after several days of showers.

Very good, but perhaps just a little overpriced.

21st January, 2015

Old Bourbon by West Third Brand

I don't get the "bourbon," but this is a pretty nice fragrance. It's sweet, but only a little sweet and difficult for me to describe.

This can be purchased at IndieScents and is extremely reasonably priced.

15th January, 2015

Asian Green Tea by Creed

Nice fragrance but VERY close to the skin. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I want to smell it.

18th November, 2014

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

1725 is absolutely beautiful. Not too sweet. Not too spicy. Just right. I would love a bit more projection and longevity, but this is one of my all time favorites.

07th October, 2014

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

I'm not very skilled at analyzing the notes and can just say this is one outstanding fragrance. Sweet but not too sweet. Sillage and longevity are excellent.

03rd October, 2014

Espresso Royale by Sebastiane

This one is dominated by the coffee note with the other notes creating the foundation upon which it rests. Very nice fragrance but very potent. This is my first full wearing and 3-4 spritzes are a couple too many.

09th September, 2014

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Excellent. Definitely a brother/sister to LADDM. To my nose a cross between LADDM and Jeke. Wore it for the first time yesterday and kept smelling my wrist all day. Probably not for everyone, especially those who most admire the popular, mass-produced "safe" fragrances. If you want to smell great while standing out from the crowd, this may be for you. Since not everyone will like it, get a sample first.

19th June, 2014

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I received this as a "throw in" to make a swap with another basenoter possible and wasn't really expecting to use it. Was I hugely surprised! This is an absolutely fantastic fragrance and gets more compliments that anything else in my wardrobe.

It's just smoooooooooooooooooooooth.........................and sophisticated.

12th May, 2014

Tabac Rouge / Turkish Blend by Phaedon

I'm not good at identifying notes, but this is a lot like Tobacco Vanile only better. Sillage and longevity are excellent.

13th April, 2014

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

I really, really liked this at first but after wearing for a couple of months, it suddenly began to, well, nauseate me. I have no idea why but had to stop using it.

It is a great fragrance - if it doesn't make you sick.

11th March, 2014

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

Just blind bought this. if you're looking for leather, don't go here. What you have instead is a toned-down A Men without the tar note and with a touch of mint. I think it's a fantastic fragrance and better than the three A Men and flankers I've owned: Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and the original A Men.

18th February, 2014

Fusion Sacrée Lui by Majda Bekkali

I wear fragrances not necessarily for the way they smell but for the way they make me feel. Fusion Sacree is fantastic and envelops my head with a wonderful, peaceful, comforting aroma. And, it lasts and lasts, and lasts. It is just a bit sweet for me to assert that it is perfect, but it's darn near close. Perhaps a reformulation will tone down the sweetness a bit.

Definately worth a try.

08th February, 2014

Cuir Velours by Naomi Goodsir

I'm not good at identifying and describing notes, so let me just say that I love this. For me it's all about how the fragrance makes me feel. Cuir Velours just wraps around my head with the most wonderful, soothing fragrance. Not too sweet, not spicy - just right.

03rd February, 2014

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Nice scent but not really that unique.

Sillage is OK.

Longevity is not good. Becomes a skin scent very quickly.

If it were much cheaper I would buy it and reapply during the day.

08th November, 2013

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I Don't Get Fierce

I don't get the hype about Fierce. The other day I travelled 100 miles round trip to the nearest A&F store just to try it. What a disappointment! It may be my chemistry, but to me it smells a bit like a very weak, synthetic, sour version of GIT. Could it have been the tester?

What am I missing?

Pros: Reputation
    Cons: Doesn't Smell Good

05th July, 2013

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

If you want to stink, this is the fragrance for you. I don't know what else to say - it's horrible.

29th March, 2013

Legend by Michael Jordan

I give this an unqualified "thumbs up."It's Rochas Man only much better, longer lasting, with a better drydown.

For the price you won't find anyting better. In fact, if you like gourmonds, you won't find many fragrances better than Legend at any price.

Update: Feb. 2015:

Unbelievable - this fragrance gets a 4 rating, 17 likes and one neutral, smells like New Haarlem, and is $20 or less and, it gets only 18 ratings? This would indicate that not many basenoters have tried Legend. What a shame.

A gourmand lover's dream.

09th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2015)

Vanille Givree des Antilles by La Maison de la Vanille

As a vanilla lover, it was with anticipation that I awaited the delivery of my order of the five samples in this line. The descriptions were enticing and I couldn't see how any of the five could be anything but marvelous.

However, when I tested the samples, i found them nauseatingly sweet.

I agree that this one is an Angel clone.

The problem for me is that all five fragrances are OVERWHELMINGLY vanilla, so much so that I most likely won't be able to use them . Still, they smell wonderful for a short time so I'll pass them along to someone more tolerant of excessive vanilla.

Update: perhaps I was overdosed on vanilla when I first tried this. In susequent use I find this to be a great vanilla and, the sillage and longevity are unbelievable. if you like vanilla, you'll love this.

Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar by La Maison de la Vanille

However, when I tested the samples, i found them nauseatingly sweet.

Update: perhaps I was overdosed on vanilla when I first tried this. In suslequent use I find this to be a great vanilla and, the sillage and longevity are unbelievable. if you like vanilla, you'll love this.

Vanille Noire du Mexique by La Maison de la Vanille

However, when I tested the samples, I found them nauseatingly sweet.

Vanille Fleuri de Tahiti by La Maison de la Vanille

25th June, 2012

Vanille Divine des Tropiques by La Maison de la Vanille

However, when I tested the samples, i found them nauseatingly sweet, especially this one.

25th June, 2012

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Nothing special.The first four hours for me is a somewhat an unpleasant smell. After that, a very faint, pleasant soapy smell. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for those who expect another grourmond.

22nd March, 2012