Reviews by Ognyez

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Tea by Comme des Garçons

One word: petrol. And, well, that's about it, really.

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a fantastic scent; to me the top berries have a wonderful moistness about them, as if they had ripened during a very wet English summer! I don't find it candy-like at all; on the contrary, it's a refreshing and inofensive fragrance I would gladly wear during the day.

Honour Woman by Amouage

I hate to give this a thumbs down, as the top notes are beautiful. Only a few minutes later, however, all I could smell was Jasmine, Jasmine, Jasmine, not much else. A headache was the end result.

Café by Neil Morris Fragrances

The first seconds of this fragrance gave me a great pleasure - choux pastry and coffee! But, only a few minutes later it began to get on my nerves - I had to wash it off. As a room freshener, perhaps, it would do, as someone else has mentioned, but as an actual perfume to wear, it's a no. Yes, cafes smell like pastry and coffee, but I would have much more preferred a metaphorical interpretation of the cafe atmosphere.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

I believe that with this one it's all about cautious application. Dabbed on slightly it is refreshing, but put on a little too much and you end up smelling not like the moment one opens a pack of expensive cigarettes, but like an ashtray. I like the somewhat timid jasmine in this, never overpowering or indolic.

No. 19 by Chanel

This is fast becoming my favourite Chanel fragrance, the twilight counterpart to the sun of No. 5. It is bitter only in its opening, and I find it a very comfortable fragrance to wear all day. I prefer the restraint of the eau de toilette to the more feminine development of the eau de parfum.

Ellipse by Jacques Fath

I managed to get a bottle of a 1970s version of this scent from my mother's vintage collection, and it's heavenly. It smells quite stuffy and balsamic in the bottle, but on the skin it transforms into a wonderful dusty, sultry, summery scent, not too floral, with what my partner believes to be salty note. I'll be sad when I've used up the tiny bottle, there is nothing I can think of that can match this among contemporary perfumes.