Reviews by Kingpharroh

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Caron Pour Homme is the most natural smelling lavender that I have ever come across. Combined with the vanilla is heavenly. The vanilla that is used isn’t super sweet and cloying, rather its semi-sweet quality pairs perfectly with the lavender. I don’t get any musk in this fragrance at all. It could be that I am anosmic to them. The only problem I have with Caron Pour Homme is the longevity. On me it lasts about 4 hours. To make this fragrance last the whole day, I have to refresh after that time frame. Price is great. It is available at numerous online retailers quite inexpensively. Overall, Caron Pour Homme is a good fragrance, simple and elegant. Rating ***/***** (3 stars/5 stars)

08 March, 2013

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

This review is for the current reformulated edt version:

Bal a Versailles starts off with a very a sharp, pungent and spicy orange flower and cassis note that never lets up. Usually I love anything orange i.e. orange blossom, neroli, orange flower, but it is unrelenting and not pleasant at all. The leather, incense and civet that make the vintage edp so incredible is nonexistent and has been completed stripped with reformulation. It dries down to a powdery mess. I like some powder aspects, but this is ridiculous. It literally smells like someone took a bag of baby powder and threw it in your face. This stuff is so awful. A drastic chnage from the orignal edp. This is very dissappointing.

08 March, 2013

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Eau Des Merveilles is good scent that starts out very promising. The orange salty vibe that it exudes is very refreshing and invigorating; the orange in particular is light and not overpowering. It seems to effervescence off your skin like a gentle sea breeze. The pepper, vetiver, and cedar all work together, to give Eau Des Merveilles some structure without compromising its delicate nature. I consider this scent to be completely unisex; as a guy or woman can easily pull it off. This fragrance can also be worn all year with no problem.
    The only problem is the dry down, which can come across as “cheap orange shampoo”, which can be a problem for some. To solve this minor issue, I would recommend layering this scent with another slightly stronger scent. One in particular, Terre D’Hermes ( edt), is one that would work perfectly with this one. The strong mineral-like, woodsy, and grapefruit accords would be great with the airy orange ambergris accords. Because of this I can only give this one a neutral, but overall, its not too bad.

24 December, 2012

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ambre Sultan starts off with a very weird smelling oregano note which is kind of off-pudding to say the least. Reminds me of Italian food and seems likes it's out of place especially with an amber fragrance. Dry herbs mixed with amber /vanilla/ bezoin usually don't mix. Do you sprinkle oregano and other dry herbs on vanilla ice cream? Don't think so. Anyway, after the stench of greeness finally dies down, a semisweet amber comes up through the ashes. The scent has a very pleasant and tolerable sweetness without becoming cloying or headache inducing. Downsides: very poor longevity, sillage, and projection. Lasts about 3 hours on my skin, with projection being a mere 30 minutes or less. Verdict:BUY/TRY/PASS . I say TRY.I think there are better smelling ambers on the market that smell better and last a lot longer. Not bad, but it's far from great.

08 December, 2012

Aventus by Creed

Aventus opens with a very potent fruity/floral dishwashing liquid accord that lingers forever.(Don't know what batch I had, it was a sample vial). I could not get past it. After a while, it calms down and you get a red apple accord that is quite pleasant. I don't get the smokiness and the pineapple that most people rave about . This scent has strong projection and longevity. This scent is way overhyped and the claims are larger than the fragrance itself. Very masculine scent and if you like strong, potent, toxic smelling scents, this is for you. Please try before you buy and spray with caution. Unfortunately, Aventus was way too strong for my taste. It did not work with my skin chemistry; I also didn't like smelling like dishwashing liquid/chemicals all day. BUY/TRY/PASS. I'll pass. Both thumbs way down.

08 December, 2012

Black Aoud by Montale

I had high hopes for this disaster of a fragrance, after seeing numerous vlogs praising this juice in the black aluminum can. So with reckless abandon, I ventured and received a sample of the stuff from luckyscent. Out of the bottle, it is so fresh and aromatic. The rose just blooms before your nose and is ever so fragrant. I don't think I have ever smelled a rose that comes across so strongly. I smelled the rose before I even opened the vial. Things were looking pretty good so far with such a fantastic opening. Once the vial was opened it literally filled up the entire office. Very nice! I dabbed some on my wrists and I was wowed and amazed at the projection. This stuff projects very far and away, a couple feet in fact. Then, it starts going downhill with the oud creeping in sinisterly. I was overcome with this strong dark medicine-like odor. Which was very unpleasant. Kinda smells like camphor, which is in Vicks Vapor Rub and other cold medicines. After smelling this camphorous medicine note for a while, it started giving me a headache and I have not worn it since. The oud is this is much too strong and potent for me. When added to the overly fragrant rose it is nauseating. People who are thinking of picking this one up. Do yourself a favor and sample this one before you buy. This is not a blind buy.

12 October, 2012

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

I love the rose in this fragrance. New York Oud accomplishes what other rose based fragrances fail to do, and that is making rose very masculine. As far as the oud, don't know if it's even detectable. But this stuff has great projection and lasts a good long time. The saffron along with the rose are terrific together. I think this fragrance should have been called New York Rose, a more appropriate name, given the lack of Oud in this fragrance. To put it bluntly, the price is a bit much for what you're not getting, but a good scent nonetheless.

13 May, 2012

Cendres de Thé by Phaedon

This is terrible. Smells like weeds and strange chemicals. Zero projection. Zero longevity. From the note breakdown, there is musk, but I don't smell it at all. If you like smelling like weeds, try it out, but don't waste your time or money on this one guys.

15 April, 2012

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

I really tried hard to like this stuff called Wall Street by Bond No.9, but you can't fudge the facts. I've read many reviews on here and on YouTube that praise this concotion to the hilt. But after trying this fragrance for a while, I am very disappointed. After spraying, all I get is cucumber, a salty vibe, and a sour undertone. Don't know exactly what that is. Maybe it's the sea kale or marine notes coming up from the heart. I smell no lavender or ozone. Where did it go? Maybe it went on vacation with all the money we spent on this disaster of a fragrance. Ozone smells very pure, clean and fresh. I should know, i had an ozone air machine in my house for 5 years. Bond No.9's version or interpretation thereof is very off key to say the least. I think they need to go back to drawing board and find out what ozone is suppose to smell like, because frankly they have it all wrong. Lastly, the dry down is equally as insignificant as the top and heart. I still smell the overpowering cucumber and saltiness, but it is much subdued. I do get a bit of ambergris, but very slighty, it's barely detectable. There is no Vetiver or musks. Nada, zilch. When compared to the dry down of Creed fragrances, this dry down with the ambergris is pathetic. Wall Street is refreshing, but it lacks character to make it stand out from the rest. Unfortunately, this isn't a fragrance that warrants its hefty price tag of 175.00 for 50 ml. If want a fragrance that will uplift your spirits and has a better vibe, try Creed's Millesime Imperial. It is much better.

18 February, 2012