Reviews by LuciaW

LuciaW's avatar
    LuciaW

Coco by Chanel

I have been wanting to try Coco for a long time and would periodically sniff the bottle when I was passing the Chanel counter, only to put it down without spraying it on. The top notes of this seemed to assault the senses which always put me off. However, my mother re-educated me and said I HAD to wear it to appreciate it, and boy was she right.
    On first application this went 'pow!', I've worn No'5 since I was a teen so know Chanel scents have a reputation for having that BIG opening only to meld into your skin and soften but Coco takes it to a whole new level. I resisted the urge to wash it off and thank goodness. As the middle notes came to the fore I was still undecided if I liked it or not, it was so different to the sort of fragrances I usually love. But by the time it got to the base notes I had decided I most definitely did like it. The dry down on this is soft and subtle and sexy, I *need* a bottle.

25 January, 2012

Arpège by Lanvin

I got a mini bottle of this on the recommendation of some of the lovely Basenotes members. I LOVE it, a really grown up scent, sparkling aldehydes and the perfect drydown reminiscent of No'5 but softer and more rounded to my nose. Its suitable for all occasions in my opinion, being noticeable without entering the room before you.

I have a full size bottle on the way.

I imagine I will always have a bottle of this from now on.

24 January, 2012

Calèche by Hermès

I was so excited to receive a sample of this! On paper it sounded just the sort of fragrance I adore. I wanted to love it but I just can't. It opens with a hit of sparkling aldehydes and on me soon softened to the smell of soap, nice soap but soap all the same. The drydown was very powdery indeed. I usually like powdery scents but this I just had to wash off. It smells rather like the talcum powder my Mother in Law uses!

I can appreciate it, but it just doesn't work with my chemistry.

24 January, 2012