Reviews by Dictator

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

The new formulation seems to have taken something out of it :( But it remains one of my favourite for it uniqueness, boldness and great smell!

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

New formulation with the greenish juice.(I never had the vintage)

I reminds me Rive Gauche but with weaker longevity and half the class. The opening is very strong and the massive amount of bergamot makes it too sweet. Massive projection for 2 or 3 hours and than nothing... Very linear... No evolution and you don't have that unique drydown after few hours of wear. Did I mentioned the word synthetic?

Jules by Christian Dior

The galbanum note makes it unique and very uncommon. You can also easily smell the black pepper which rather smells like fresh pepper and not the dried one.

I gave a neutral mark because of the cedar wood note. It can smell like an old wooden furniture which people and myself included can associate with a ''grandpa smell'.

It has nothing in common with Kouros or Bel Ami. I already used two bottles of Jules and three bottles of Kouros to know that. Jules is much more dryish I would say it's a green woody fragrance. Without the cedar wood note I wouldn't hesitate to give a thumbs up.

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

A bit heavy I like strong perfumes but this one is too heavy or perhaps too sweet!

Let's start with the bergamot it smells like earl grey tea.

The middle note myrrh smells more like strong vanilla.

And the vetiver is maybe just a colorant to make the juice green.

7/10 not a masterpiece but good EDP if you like sweet smells with no ''macho notes''.

Perhaps it is better to use it on hot summer nights rather than on a daily basis.

27 December, 2012

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Beautiful!!! But weak longevity :( The longevity is improved if you keep it at 4 Celsius.

09 July, 2012

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Certainly it's a very interesting creation. But it is too feminine too floral it could be the perfect scent for a ''modern women'' whatever it means.

Also it does have that wooden pencil smell that you find almost in all Dior’s. (I'm not a big fan of it but it reminds me the old days in school)

I give to it a neutral rate simply because I don’t think it’s a good fragrance for men but if you want to cultivate your feminine side go ahead. Overall it’s very elegant and refined but it’s too polite to be a good men’s fragrance .But it surely beats(by miles away) Bleu of Chanel since they compete together in the same class.

09 February, 2012

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

It's a weird scent I have bought a bottle of this EDP I wanted to like it because it's Hermes and because I love Bel Ami.

Anyway after two weaks I sold it to a friend who is an absolute junior in the world of luxury perfumes.(he used to wear cheap colognes) He really liked TD edp he told me that it's the best scents he have ever smelled.

You can hardly tell what scents(ingrediants) you have in cheap colognes like Brut? So it's the same with Terre d'Hermes I don't smell any natural scent it's all synthetic. I will definetly say that it is the most expansive cheap cologne I have ever paid for.(yes I ordered it from Hermes website the day they started to sell it)

In the pyramid it says ''Woody Notes'' what kind of wood? No one knows and for the head notes those ingrediants are pretty cheap orange, grapefruit,.. you can really smell them mixed in the artificial juice that is ISO E Super or whatever it is.

I guess that I'm the only one that will give a thumbs down I pretty sure that if I had not gotten back my 100 box I would had made a very different review.

24 January, 2012

Vetiver by Guerlain

This is what you can read on the new bottles(after 2010 and on):

''The mythical VETIVER fragrance recaptures its original bottle. A scent that evokes the duality of nature: disorder and harmony, freshness and warmth.''

and you also get a word from the creator:

''The scent of earth after the rain, the cool breeze of an earthy moning, the aroma of tobacco... each of these was a source of inspiration wich gave rise to my first perfume, VETIVER'' Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Well I guess it's an apology for the 10 years of that stinky and heavy lemony smell that was the juice in the 2000-2010 RIP ribbon bottle.

Thumbs down for the old juice and thumbs up for the new one.

23 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2012)

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I'm very impressed by the quality of this perfume. You really can smell the difference for the extra $$$ your paying. On me it stays very close to the skin but it last almost 10 hours. I find it to be very elegant and refined compared to Bel Ami of Hermes wich is more ''sporty'' I guess it is because of the citrus notes.

One word to describe Santal Noble: Opulant! Not for everyday use but perfect if your going out with a refined lady.

23 January, 2012

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

It does lack the refinement of Guerlain Vetiver. To me it smells synthetic especially the lemon wich is kind off mixed with the vetiver and you get a very linear unpleasant sent(but not too unpleasant). But if your a fanatic you should like it because it's the kind of perfume designed for all the ''Joe's''of america. It's a marketing product you buy an image a smell a concept. But when you wear Guerlain Vetiver you are the image, the smell and you have your own views.

The openings of both perfumes are very similar I presume it was intentionnal from Tom Ford's marketing team to attract Guerlain Vetiver customers. Well I have not fallen!

23 January, 2012