Reviews by JRVavrek

JRVavrek's avatar
    JRVavrek

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

Super light masculine frag. Starts fresh and loud then settles close and herby for 4-6 hrs on me. When I think of a sport scent, this is what it is. Not super challenging or daring but nails the after workout vibe.

14 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

One of my favorite scents! Wow I get so much more than what is in the pyramid. This fragrance has a floral scent at times that wafts in and out in the top notes, Also honey throughout. I am sure this could qualify as an edp, and if you treat it that way you get the best results. The king requires you to walk through it's cloud on application. If you concentrate this in one spot it gets that sour note some people hate (urine, urinal cakes, etc.) Of course if you love this frag it doesn't matter. Try the walk through or up high misting and you will find it to be very fresh and masculine. I wish I had the guts to make this my signature scent! At the very least it gets a bi weekly wearing from me. The king rocks!

Joop! Homme by Joop!

My wife's favorite scent on a man, so a staple in my wardrobe. Never wore this when it came out and always thought it to be too sweet. It is super sweet upon first spray but settles down into a rich patchouli scent through the middle. I LOVE this part of it. If I could get just that smell in a frag I would for sure. I am not a fan of when the musk overtakes the middle and lasts forever. It is a cheap musk like Jovan and reminds me of dirty clothes. But as long as it's my wife's favorite, I'm stuck for better or worse. If you want Joop but better, go 1 Million by Paco Rabanne. For me, I smell a lot of similarities but none of the off notes of Joop.

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL is my favorite house. They take chances on big combinations of notes, Jazz is no exception. However I'm on the fence with Jazz. I got the original formula and to me there is one note, maybe the geranium, that makes this one off. It feels masculine and everyday wearable. I want to try the reformulation and see if it is just the vintage juice I have that is questionable. I so want to love this frag.

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

I really like this flanker for A*Man. It has the perfect blend of bright crisp notes and the trademark gourmands of it's daddy. Wears close to the skin and is refreshing and mature at the same time. Good warm weather scent or for those who sort of like A*Man but feel it to be too heavy and cloying. Worthy of a blind buy if you are familiar with A*Man but gravitate towards fresh scents.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Big, masculine heavy frag. Top notes last forever and can turn you off due to the graphite feel of it. Do yourself a favor,wait it out and you will be blessed with one of the most complex yet simple frags ever. Warm amber and woods make it worth the wait. This is super affordable and every man should have it at least for special occasions. If you like Tommy Bahama but wish it had more testicular fortitude, this is for you!

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Big patchouli scent. Almost the dirty, pure smell of straight fragrance oil the hippie wannabes wear. Nice powder to it. Feels super dated but thats ok. It's a formal scent to me and definitely masculine. Not for everyday unless you're 50+. You have smelled this before even if you can't place it. Classic...

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Too flowery for me. I remember this scent being everywhere in the 90's. I was more of a Gucci Nobile guy back then. Bought this a few months ago hoping to find something I liked about it. No luck

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A good scent. Average and crisp. Get Realities for Men, the green one. It smells exactly like this but has this sharp, cedar that makes it better and lasts soooo much longer and soooo much more unique. It is cheaper too. No lie, I'm just saying....

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This scent smells like something my Dad wore in the 70's. I can't detect what it is. It has to be Avon - something. Good projection, crappy silage. It would be my signature if I could get more than 2 hrs out of it. I'm not a chick, I don't carry back up scent. Check it out, it's beautify and butch while it lasts, for sure. Not so much dirty as masculine...

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Ok frag for everyday. A bit feminine for me, but the price is right. 2-4 hr life. Nice bright scent. Good projection. Average boozy, tobacco-ish scent. I layer with Tommy Bahama for the crisp bright side TB lacks.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Pepper, Lavender, Linear... Strong. 5-6 hrs average longevity. Cheap and plentiful right now. I don't get any leather at all. Strongest pepper scent I have tried. For me, not everyday wear.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Great frag! CRAPPY longevity.... If it lated more than 3 hrs it would rock! I think then it turns into only a weak leather scent. On the upside, it is a leather scent to die for. The leather stays super close to the skin for maybe 1 more hour. Best if sprayed onto clothes for me. I can smell it the next day. I wish I could get a scent of just that leather with a touch of the other notes. My God! Burberry make an intense!

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Simple, apple, sweaty. Non threatening, boring. And I really wanted to like this. All the Old Spice body sprays smell better than this. Cheap, but not cheap enough. I will try it again in several months and see if I'm missing something....

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Great scent, though not as nice as the original. It is more citrus, less tea. The original lasts just as long and projects just as well. This has this sweaty vibe to it. Inexpensive, long lasting and unique. Blind buy the original though, sample this one...

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I have yet to wrap my head around this. It has the light gourmand thing going for it. The eucalyptus is the thing I can't figure out. A*Men with a cough drop. Very popular I'm sure but I'm not in it to impress chicks. Hey, it's cheap!

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Black No. 1581 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Very rich. Very ouhd. Lasts like an hour. Good thing its cheap.

Artisan by John Varvatos

My absolute favorite summer scent! My absolute favorite orange scent! Musk done right, wears close and reminds me of open shirts, summer breezes and convertibles. No one has a orange scent like this, no classics, no niche. Full on fresh orange and blossom. Like Tampa in harvest time when the trucks are rollin'. Fresh and thoughtful, not like anything you will ever smell for summer wear. Wears close and long!

A*Men Sunessence Orage D'Ete / Summer Storm by Thierry Mugler

Another flanker to A*Man. Better than the original. Not as orangey as I would like. Middle of the road. To me, definitely not worth the cost. Average.

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Better than A*Man for sure. Still has that sweet loooonnnggg dry down like it. Gets cloying on me. Good tobacco but I wish it were greener....

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I'm not a fan of gourmands. This is syrupy and saccharin. Lots of vanilla and patchouli stays with you whether you like it or not. Don't believe the hype. Sample it.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Great sweet scent. Like a grown up Joop por home without the musky dry down that lasts for 10 hrs. Complex enough to have you sniffing your wrists for hours and no negative scents. Non offensive.