Reviews

Reviews by rbaker

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

The fruity flowery opening works well on my skin, with a nice lychee impression harmonising quite well with the white floral but - the peony comes out well. Jasmine is the next stop, and a light patchouli then chimes it. Later on a fresher vetiver is combines with woodsy notes - the latter the most unexciting component of this scent, which is overall a nice product. Moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity - 3/5

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Amber, White musks, Bourbon vanilla, Benzoin
That is a lovely opening: orangy vibes with a nutty almond undertone, a touch of fruitiness with cyclamen thrown in - quite characteristic and well thought out. The base is flowery, with a muguet-peony dyad dominant, and merging into a slightly boozy benzoin-dominated base of wood, musk and vanilla.

The performance is good on me with moderate sillage, good orojection and seven hours of longevity. Well-composed, a touch synthetic but not in a manner that interferes with its overall impression. 3/5

Forever and Ever by Christian Dior

Vanilla and rose greets me in the opening, a simple combination but quite well done and not sickly sweet on my skin. Layer a hit of gentle spice mixes with a pleasant musk impression. Good longevity, about six hours, with moderate sillage and adequate projection.

The rose his not top, lighter, on the brighter side and overall my scire is just at the border between neutral and positive - so to me it's the latter - just, giving it he benefit of the doubt.

Yellow Diamond Intense by Versace

Bergamot and a slightly sour lemon in the opening is quite well balanced by a fruity note that later sees floral complements added. There are mainly white florals, with a touch of jasmine, but very synthetic in my skin. The base is even more generic; a woodsy light musky if the usual forgettable standard.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity. In balance average.

Omnia Coral by Bulgari

A nice fresh opening, and I indeed get a nice pomegranate with an overarching bergamot nite in the opening phase; a mild spice is also present. Then the floral side grows more prominent with time, mainly a lily impression, with possibly hints of muguet, merging into the musk-focused base; the latter is quite generic and flat on my skin.

The sillage is moderate, the projection good and I get five hours of longevity. Pleasant but especially in the base nothing special, this is nice to wear on a warm spring day. 2/5
24th June, 2015

Omnia Indian Garnet by Bulgari

An citrus opening based on orangey facets that is very pleasant; the drydown shifts to osmanthus. All very clear-cut; the base is similarly monochrome and is composed of a rather generic ambery impression. Now simplicity and basing a fragrant on a few simple notes only can work if the quality of the ingredients is of very high quality, but this Bvlgari product does not offer such a high degree of quality IMHO. Still, this is not an unpleasant fragrance for cooler summer days.

Sillage is moderate, projection adequate and longevity six hours. 2.5/5

Boss Orange by Hugo Boss

In this case the name seems to be aptly chosen, as within the bergamot-driven opening blast I get fruity citrus notes, most notably orange, at a very early stage. The fruitiness then shifts towards a more peachy impression, and in the base a woodsy-vanilla mix supervenes; the later alas being overly generic in nature.

As far as performance is concerned, I get moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin. Nice on a cooler summer day, just a shame about the generic finish.

Jardin Précieux by Givenchy

This seems to be an airport exclusive. In the opening blast I get a rich and juicy fruity impression, mainly orange with raspberry vibes, later a jasmine-based drydown provides a nice contrast. I get woodsy notes in the base, and they are quite pleasant, with a added musk towards the end.

Overall pleasant and with its lack of spectacular features nonetheless quite convincing, especially the juicy full opening phase. I get moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity. Just enough to give it a positive score all in all.

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

A mandarin note in the opening blends well with a light and gentle saffron note, that is much less intensive than e.g. in Sultan Safran by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, which was a regular of mine for some time. The drydown is flowery, with a pleasant orchid impression combining with a lily note. So far it is a pleasant composition, but the base with its wood and vanilla is quite generic on my skin, albeit never too sweet.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity; over nice but the end phase is a disappointment. 2/5
21st June, 2015

Dahlia Noir by Givenchy

A mildly peppered orange in the opening is followed by a rose note that over arches the initial phases if the heart notes. So far not bad, but the subsequent development is characterised by notes that are less convincing and fairly generic, mainly vanilla, bland (not blond) wood and some light white musk.

Sillage is moderate on my skin, the projection average, and I get four hours of longevity.

Overall in he average range. 2/5.

Play Intense for Her by Givenchy

A citrus opening with some spicy aspects - then a floral drydown with quite standard and generic vanilla base at the end that is combined with a patchouli impression; the latter is more on the lighter side on my skin. Fairly unimpressive. Moderate sillage is combined with adequate projection and four hours if longevity. 1.5/5

Play In The City for Her by Givenchy

A sweet fruity concoction with an overarching licorice note leads to a rather unexciting floral drydown. The further development is characterised by a generic woodsy-musky mix with some vanilla that is not exactly riveting either.

Sillage is moderate on my skin, the projection adequate and the longevity four hours. 2/5

Aqua Divina by Bulgari

A nice opening blast with bergamot with a spicy touch is followed by a drydown with magnolia dominating, with a fruity undertone discernible. A honey impression is added later in, and it ends in a generic wood mode.

Definitely not bad, but somewhat dull and colourless on my skin. I get moderate sillage, acceptable projection and four hours of longevity on my skin. 2/5.

L'Eau D'Issey Summer 2006 by Issey Miyake

A gentle bright rose beginning mingles with a bouquet of white floral notes - mainly muguet and freesias - not bad. The later phases with its woodsy focus are somewhat disappointing on my skin. So while this is a lighter scent alt for warmer days, I find it quite uninspiring overall, albeit not unpleasant.

I get soft sillage, adequate projection and about three hours of longevity. 2/5

cK one Summer 2015 by Calvin Klein

An opening note - somewhat lemony plain, simple, usual, frequently-found (do I make masked clear)?
Then a drydown with very generic woodsy ambery impressions. It has soft sillage, limited projection and lasts a couple of hours on my skin.

One can argue there was no desperate need for this composition to be released - it is so generic and mediocre, albeit not unpleasant.

Brit for Men by Burberry

The orangey-ginger top with a touch if bergamot freshness with a pleasant cardamom - pleasant. This is followed by a dark rose - a tad synthetic but respectable. It falls down in the rather generic and boring woodsy-musky vanilla base.

On my skin the sillage is moderate, the projection adequate and the longevity is around five hours. 2.5/5

Brit Splash for Him by Burberry

An interesting herbal opening is followed by nondescript woodsy notes with an overly synthetic mossy end. Soft sillage with limited projection and four hours of longevity on my skin. Dull. 1.5/5

Brit Sheer by Burberry

The lemony-yuzu opening blast is pleasantly combined with lychee and a fruity pinapple-orangey undertone - this it the best part of this creation. The generic fruity-white floral drydown as well as the - yawn - overly generic woodsy musky base are very middle-of-the-road.

On my skin the sillage is moderate, projection adequate and I get six hours of longevity.

Overall a nice opening with a rather mediocre rest - 2.5/5.

Brit Rhythm for Him Intense by Burberry

A pleasant herbal, mildly spicy opening that is provided with a nice twist by a hint of mint. The drydown adds an interesting Artemisia underpinning together with a somewhat generic ambery impression. The woodsy base is dominated by a very synthetic vanilla note.

In my skin this is a tad more interesting than the original, in spite of it's overall generic nature that prevents me from giving it a positive score. I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and a longevity of five hours. 2.5/5.

Brit Rhythm for Her by Burberry

A neroli opening with a touch of spice and whiffs of lavender leads to a rather generic fruity-orangey drydown. A standard musky woodsy - yawn - base with a bit if neroli providing a hint of freshness.

Moderate silage with good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin. Overall average but not really sweet fortunately. 2/5

Burberry London by Burberry

A slightly sweetish routine rose with an overly synthetic honeysuckle - this is no Creed Chevrefeuille- with a mandarin underpinning constitute the opening. The white floral drydown is heavily jasmine-oriented And leads to the usual standard white musky woodsy base.

On my skin the sillage is moderate, the projection good and I get five hours of longevity. Overall not unpleasant but nothing special. 2/5

My Burberry by Burberry

The top notes are nice - bergamot with a greenish sweet pea note. The drydown spells white floral, with geranium the most evident in my skin. The base developed a light patchouli with a rose note - not bad but a tad too synthetic.

The sillage is moderate with good projection, and I get six hours of longevity. Overall quite nice but a bit too artificial to me 2.5/5

Boss Orange Eau de Parfum by Hugo Boss

A fruity opening with an instantly present orange undertone leads to a fruity apple/citrus middle phase, with the base adding a vanilla-custard impression. Whilst this does not sound very exciting, it develops quite nicely on my skin.

On my skin the sillage is good, projection good and I get six hours of longevity. Overall, though, especially as the heart notes are quite generic, I will opt for neutral, but is nearly makes a positive score.

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

A nice fresh fruity opening, with mandarin and blackcurrant combining nicely. The heart notes are floral, with a somewhat uninspiring jasmine standing out. The base is generic with fruity hints.

Middle-of-the-road is my overall impression. I get moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity. 2/5

Hugo Woman (new) by Hugo Boss

Another orangey fruity opening, this time with a green herbal undertone. The middle notes are fruity floral with some jasmin distinguishable. In the base cedar is dominant.

Overall an all right and pleasant scent, with the middle phase appearing to be the weakest to me. Generic throughout, with moderate sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity on me. 2/5

Hugo Red by Hugo Boss

A slightly spicy citrus opening is followed by a pinapple-rhubarb drydown and is synthetic all right, but tolerably so. The base is based upon a somewhat uninspiring vanilla note. On my skin I get fairly soft sillage, adequate projection and five hours of longevity. Quite pleasant at times, especially inititially. 2.5/5

Ma Vie Pour Femme by Hugo Boss

The top as well as the middle notes are on the pleasant side; flowery but not really sweet. The base is characterised by a nonspecific woodsy imoression. A dull pleasantness is my main impression.

The performance is not exciting either; I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and five hours of longevity. Mediocre. 2/5

Boss Jour Pour Femme by Hugo Boss

The fresh citrus base is pleasant, as is the somewhat generic muguet-honeysuckle white floral drydown. The Ambrox-like base is quite dull.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and eight hours of longevity. Pleasant, but nothing special. 2/5

S Eau Florale by Shakira

Sweet, overly sweet, synthetic and boring - the fruity-berry top notes as well and a the laboratory-berry drydown are nothing to write home about. The vanilla and synthetic-nondescript musk do not make things better. I get moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity. Mediocre. 2/5

Sun by Jil Sander

This is quite an ingenious composition, with the fruity-bergamot opening developing seamlessly into a floral drydown of muguet and jasmine, with an aromatic orange tone noticeable throughout; benzoin is evident too. Soon an interesting tonka impression together with patchouli is added, and the whole results in a nice suntan lotion effect, as if worn on the beach on a hot day.

On my skin there are reminiscences of Bond No.9's Fire Island, but JS's Sun is a touch earthier with woodsy componenent. I get strong sillage, very good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin. A nice scent. 3.3/5