Reviews by ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki's avatar
    ladymurasaki

Baiser Volé by Cartier

Such a beautiful lily scent. I have the Extrait de Parfum and it lasts about 6 hours. Lily is a tricky note as rogalal stated, and it can often turn cloying or funereal, but this one presents the best aspects of the lily: polleny, lush and green.

05th March, 2014

Jitterbug by Opus Oils

Many of the fragrances from this line end up smelling the same in the dry down and this one is no exception. It smells like a mixture of aromatherapy oils.

Zohar by Ayala Moriel

Treazon by Ayala Moriel

Hanami by Ayala Moriel

Gigi by Ayala Moriel

Many of the fragrances from this line end up smelling the same in the dry down and this one is no exception. I didn't get the gardenia from this. Not the gardenia that I know and love.

Charisma by Ayala Moriel

Une Voix Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It may not smell much like gardenia but I don't think it's meant to be a soliflore. It is much more complex than that and the gardenia is just a part of its beautiful unfolding. It is an exquisite representation of Lady Day's story... her life's song.

The fragrance opens with a gardenia note cocooned in rum and dark fruits and there is a distinctive metallic edge to it. The metallic note fades after an hour or so, leaving a warm, smooth and syrupy floral scent that stays close to the skin. It's not an attention seeker, but rather a quiet, brooding torch singer. Much like Billie, it is languid and luscious.

If you're looking for a gardenia soliflore, this is not for you. Personally, I adore it.

16th November, 2012

Infanta En Flor by Arquiste

The opening is a fresh floral on a subdued leather base. The dry down is baby powder. It is a nice fresh scent, if you like clean, soapy scents.

23rd October, 2012

Grand Bal by Christian Dior

I agree with alfarom. It is pleasant but indistinctive. It opens with prominent orange blossom and jasmine notes, a combination I usually love, but in this one, it rattles my nerves. In the dry down, it smells similar to OJ Frangipani with a sandlewood note. For me, it fails to evoke the grand ball gowns Dior is known for. Pretty, but I can think of many other floral fragrances that I prefer over this one.

21st June, 2012

Gardénia Pétale by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a very well crafted fragrance; complex, captivating and just plain gorgeous. I would say it's one of the best gardenia fragrances out there. The gardenia note is not cloying or overpowering, but is soft, creamy and sensuous.

27th May, 2012

Lei Flower by Providence Perfume Co.

From the name, I had expected a heady tropical floral, but was surprised to find a spicy floral. The notes of caramelised sugar and toasted coconut are so prominent that they overtake frangipani. It almost smells like curry. Perhaps there's corriander in the mix? The name is misleading!

17th May, 2012

Osmanthus Oolong by Providence Perfume Co.

A very light tea scent. Poor longevity.

17th May, 2012

Gardenia by Martine Micallef

This is such a gorgeous gardenia scent. It's warm, creamy and very long-lasting. A little can last all day and all night. I find it to be very similar to Isabey Gardenia, but without the orange blossom note.

16th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 17th May, 2012)

Gardenia by Jo Loves...

This is a decent gardenia scent. I would say it's a solifore, since it smells pretty close to the actual flower and not much else. I detect a tiny bit of ylang and perhaps muguet? Creamy from beginning to end. Shame it only lasts about two hours on my skin.

16th May, 2012

Not a Perfume by Juliette Has a Gun

I went to Romano's talk and he said it's good for layering. I just don't see the point in creating something so derivative.

Les Nombres d'Or - Tubéreuse by Mona di Orio

Such a sophisticated and complex fragrance. It is very different from other tuberose fragrances out there. Earthy, green and interesting. I can't get enough of it. I love the way the peppery note is overtaken by a delicate tuberose when it dries down.

Pink by Lili Bermuda

Magnolia with a dash of watermelon. Sweet, fresh and a little green and not too fruity. The fruity note recedes rather quickly but stays in the background. A nice floral scent. I can smell more of the magnolia note as it dries down and it's pretty close to the real flower. It's very light and doesn't have staying power.

Petals by Lili Bermuda

It is a decent honeysuckle scent and I was pleased with it initially. However, after dry down, it became just one of the very many pretty floral perfumes. It's slightly powdery too. Nothing outstanding or unique about it. I much perfer Passion Flower from this line.

09th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2012)

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

What a beautiful rendition of honeysuckle! I love its light, summery scent. It reminds me of tea with lemon on a balmy summer afternoon.

09th May, 2012

Maitresse by Agent Provocateur

Pretty scent, but nothing outstanding. I love white florals and powdery scents, but this one just doens't offer anything special. Rather generic. I expected more from the image it was projecting.

09th May, 2012

Nectars des Iles by En Voyage Perfumes

I get Hawaiian Punch Kool Aid on first application. The last time I drank that was yonkers ago, but that's what comes to my mind when I smell this. A warm tropical fruity floral. On dry down, it reminds me of my mother's old scented candles. There's something in the notes that grates on my nerves. The gardenia note is so faint and I find it neither interesting nor realistic.

05th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2012)

Jardenia by JAR

The blue cheese note when initially applied stays prominent on my skin. I'd like it to be a bit more "gardenia" than cheese; meaning I don't want to smell like a gardenia past its prime. It does provide beautiful moments, but frankly, I just don't see what the fuss is all about.

05th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2012)

Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir by Parfumerie Generale

I beg to differ. I love this fragrance. It opens with a green gardenia note and develops into a creamy white floral and then to a fruity floral (berry, peach?). There's nothing grand about it but I love it for its light and airy quality.

19th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2012)

Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga

It's headache-inducing to me. It just smells and feels old-fashion - in a bad way.

01st February, 2012