Reviews by sin_is_in

sin_is_in's avatar
    sin_is_in
    Germany Germany

Skarb by Humiecki & Graef

Skarb to me is sort of a "machine room air" fragrance... it comes of as quite synthetic smelling despite the interesting list of notes promising something very natural. At frist glance I really liked it but the longer I sampled it (aka the vial spilled into my bag) the more I disliked it. I was reminded of CdG's "Dry Clean" from the Synthetics line which however is a little bit more sweet and "aquatic"... a more natural, vegetal, green smelling version of Skarb I could have appreciated.

17 April, 2013

Aedes de Venustas (new) by Aedes de Venustas

Very sharp rhubarb with a citrus edge form the apple. Everything else is pretty non-existant. Incense is hardly detectable, same with the leaves and the nutty notes.

Anybody who can't handle sharp citrus notes should stay away, I think I am actually having an allergic reaction to this as it makes me sweat and my eyes water, gives me a headache that I didn't get from CDG'S rhubarb which is not too different from this and much cheaper.

26 August, 2012

Iris de Nuit by Heeley

If only there were more carrot and herbal notes in here! Basically a dry iris with lots of synthetic and a touch of aquatic notes. Ultimately it's not refreshing, smells cheap and gives me a headache.

28 July, 2012

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

For my personal taste Carnal flower is not green enough and very feminine, well very floral that's for sure. To me it's a very realistic recreation of the smell you get when you walk through a street with lots of tuberose bushes on the sidewalks. That somewhat creamy thick flowery smell in hot air. Carnal flower is very well blended because none of the notes stand out. It all becomes one flower with the eucalyptus giving the natural smell of leaves and stalks. I don't get any bergamot or melon per se but when you know it is in there, it does make sense.
    I would have been interested in something less impressionistic.
    More green herbs, more eucalyptus, more playfulness and contradictions would have lifted Carnal flower to another level.

01st June, 2012

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

At first sniff French Lover smells an awful lot like Comme des Garcons X Monocle's Laurel. Laurel, Galbanum and pepper is what I smell even though that effect is probably the angelica piment combo. However, our French Lover has more than just one side to him. A more complex composition is joined by other, rather vegetal green notes evoking the smell of a forrest walk after rain showers while the peppery opening becomes softer.
    The basis of all that is of course Angeliques sous la Pluie with it's fresh and yet earthy incense infused angelica-on-a-wet-stone smell. You get what you pay for, and that is a quality perfume that I have to give a "Thumbs Up!" even if it is not exactly my type of perfume (for now). I personally prefer the more unisex version Angeliques sous la Pluie.

31st May, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2012)

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

Synthetic and rather cheap orange and orange flower notes and the typical aqua note you find in so many masculine scents. The fragrance turns quite powdery after some time and bores me from beginning to end. A total "Blah" fragrance imo.

13 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2012)

Iced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

Iced green tea is fairly simple, straight-forward, "alcoholic" and ...well nothing spectacular. Longevitiy is not too bad as it lingers around for maybe 2 hours but only becomes less enjoyable as it dries down.
    What I like about it is that it actually smells like a green tea even though it can sometimes be a little too sweet or powdery depending on my mood but there is a general lightness to the fragrance and the tea note is not the problem here. The weak part is the mint or rather menthol note and the poor quality of the ingredients. I wish other perfume houses would work around the notes of mint, leaves, tea and herbs more because Iced green tea has potential but as it is I find it to be more of a gimmicky body spay than a real fragrance/perfume.

12 May, 2012

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

The opening notes of Ninfeo Mio are incredibly juicy! Lemony citrus and verbena, fresh leaves and galbanum and a fig that develops a milky note as the scent dries down. What's left then is a nutty coconut smell caused by the milky fig and some sharp dry wood notes which often gets on my nerves and into my nose.
    Longevitiy is average as you know from other Annick Goutal fragrances and it quickly becomes a skin scent.
    Ninfeo Mio works on me but I can understand other reviewers who say it develops weirdly on them which I think is due to the sharp woody notes in the base that have the potential to smell sweaty when in combination with the wrong skin chemistry. So sample this first!

08 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2012)

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I was curious about Les parfums de Rosine when I read they released Diabolo Rose, a rose and mint combination but was slightly disappointed for the lack of it's unisex appeal and weak mint note.
    However I found Écume de Rose ("sea spray of the rose") which centers around dune roses. Shortly before that I had read about a roomspray by Frederic Malle called Rosa Rugosa described as "The dry, cold, almost astringent-like scent of wild rose bushes which grow against the wind on the Atlantic coast." (I have yet to smell it) and this is exactly what I get from Écume de Rose. I imagine it to one of summer's last roses, a wild rose that withstands the first cold and windy days of fall which carry the sea's salt through the air into the dunes to those light pink/ white dewy roses. Really, this rose has an astringent and cold effect and at the same time I can smell the sea, a very subtle and classy marine note and the water drops of rain showers on the leaves... this rose is never too sweet and the drydown is even my favorite part when the vetiver in the base comes out a little more.
    All in all a very melancholic fragrance.

16 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2012)

Boisé Fruité by Montale

I sampled two Montale fragrances. While Ginger Musk is just horrible "Boise Fruité" is OK, but still I wouldn't even give this to my mother. I would describe it as a somewhat "thick" fruity musky fragrance with some sharpness coming from the wood. The type of stuff you come across when searching through your grandmother's cabinet of rejected perfumes.

07 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2012)

Ginger Musk by Montale

OH...hehe I thought I was going to be the first one to say that this smells worse than my grandmother's old perfumes but it seems that there is a common sense on basenotes about Ginger Musk... just avoid it!

07 April, 2012

L'Eau Chic by Nicolaï

Ok, so first of all I loved the imagination I had for this when I read the notes and the ad saying " Add a little freshness to such a hot world!". I love Geranium pour Monsieur but I was also looking for a more rounded, full bodied and maybe "conservative" version of a "geranium+mint on top herbal-peppery-flowers" kind of fragrance. THIS one however should have been discontinued/reformulated 5 years ago. It just smells slightly dated and needs to been cleaned out in my opinion. The mint is definitely there but it doesn't really refresh me because it's hidden under other, more powdery (iris?) notes.. Whereas in GPM the geranium was clean and sharp, this one quickly develops into something rather woody and balmy. Combined with the lavender and a musk base I get an overall smell of pine and under that the peppery sandalwood basenotes and propably geranium in there somewhere as well.

All in all the execution of the idea and the treatment of the notes seem dated to me, that said, this was the first PNicolai fragrance I ever sampled (along with L'eau Mixte which I would give the same rating) and I think this might just be what they are all about. Solid, well-crafted but not edgy.

31st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2012)

Mistero by Calé

This smells a lot like Coeur de Vetiver Sacré but with less of the metallic vetiver/tea note, instead this smells more like rice powder. I can't detect any single note here though, it's all mashed together in one smoky powdery cloud. I like the way it reads but
    the outcome of it all is boring and unpleasant IMO. It doesn't "go" anywhere. The first sniff is not impressing and the development of doesn't reveal anything captivating, it just literally dries down. If one could actually smell rum and mint it would be much nicer.

15 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)

Hippie Rose by Heeley

Like most Heeley fragrances this is light and transparent and somewhat simple. Except for that it disappears after a while there isn't much of a development. The rose is kind of mild, not very sweet and for some reason I get a cherry-like note from it as well. Paired with patchouli and moss it makes a rather green and earthy yet transparent rose for women and men.

14 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

Frank No. 1 by Frank Los Angeles

I would describe Frank No. 1 as a spicy, flowery and transparent tea fragrance which turns slightly powdery on skin - IN A PLEASANT WAY! Think spiced water lilies swimming peacefully in a green tea pond along with some leaves. It's not feminine but not your classic men's fragrance either.

13 March, 2012

Diabolo Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Despite the list of ingredients I get two notes: a pure pink rose and a light minty note and maybe some of the bergamot which however won't last 10 minutes. If I was a woman I would probably buy it because I really like the combination but Diabolo Rose misses the kind of "oooomphhh" of freshness on the minty side to win me over. It's very soft and tamed and just a little more body to it and more intensity á la "Géranium pour Monsieur" would make Diabolo Rose and me a perfect match. Furthermore the longevity is not great. Once again a nice concept for a fragrance but the execution is too conservative for my liking. One might rather buy a pure rose fragrance and a pure mint fragrance and just layer them.

12 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2012)

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Ughhh... what a cheap smell! It's full of synthetic sport notes (the aqua-citrus kind) and sharp musk. I spayed this on and went to a restaurant and Dior just ruined the entire dinner for me :) This really just smells like some body shop fragrance I forgot the name of, so even if you like the smell you don't need to buy it from Dior even though the bottle does look pretty nice :)

07 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

(Untitled) L'Eau by Martin Margiela

I find this to be a more unisex, more enjoyable version of Untitled. The EdP was proclaimed to be fresh, green and unisex and while green might fit I always found the original Untitled rather smokey and powdery - interesting but not pleasant and vivid enough for me / a man.
    This version is lighter which improves the wearability for me. The top note is fresher and improved by a kick of citrus and I'd go as far as saying: Yes, this is fresh, green unisex with a twist!
    The dry-down is more on the soapy than the smokey side this time.
    Overall a nice fragrance and improvement from the original which nevertheless is still alive in l'Eau - not ruined but improved by the added freshness!

02 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2012)

Eau d'Ikar by Sisley

In the first 5 minutes Eau d'Ikar smells like a glass of champagne. Sour, bitter, citrusy, slightly soapy. Refreshing and unpretentious. It stays sour but soon the radiance is gone and only light soapy notes and the typical vetiver/wood base are left. It lasted for one hour.

23 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

Rosissimo by Les Parfums de Rosine

I would classify Rosissimo as Citrus-Aromatic with some rose in it. Yap, the rose is not as eccentric as the name suggests. A total feel good perfume with average or slightly less lasting power on me and certainly not an edgy rose.

17 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2012)

Ex Libris No. 16 by Tokyo Milk

I first loved the scent when I had an Ex Libris candle and later got the perfume. It's pretty linear but also pretty good from the first sniff. The fig leaf is not too sweet and really mixes nicely with the cardamom and the magnolia. It's fresh but has a body to it from the spices. Overall it's rather well balanced and works for all seasons although I would rather classify it as a fall scent! Easy to wear longevity is ok. The candle is slightly better :)

13 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2012)

Yuzu Man by Caron

I think this is an easy to wear scent for the office BUT I expected so much more from this. The way the notes are treated seems kind if "dated" to me. Instead of really being fresh the overall impression is tamed sweet softness paired with aquatic notes that are anything but interesting. That is to say that I would buy it if it was cheap and wear it casually however it would never get past the role of a gap-filler. Disappointed.

09 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2012)

Sel Marin by Heeley

I like the overall direction of this because Heeley managed to create something oceanic wothout going down the road of utterly synthetic smelling aquatic aldehyde notes, but at some point the salt in it just becomes way too pronounced on me. It's almost salty-gourmand and quite headache inducing. If you don't have this problem Sel Marin will be a refined and elegant yet sporty citrus+mint+vetiver+wood+SALT fragrance for you!

09 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 April, 2012)

gs02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

What I get from this is sweet and cold, wet leather with plum and peach notes. The sweetness becomes less after a while but still it's quite an intense and if you like it, sexy fragrance. One for a night out, when you're feeling naughty. Can be worn by women and young men imo and it's quite unique.

09 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2012)

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Synthetic and aquatic - really boring!

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is one of those generic sporty classic men's fragrances that does nothing for me. I think it's boring, can be found cheaper from other brands. The price is quite "special" though....

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

I dont know if the bottle at the store had turned but I nearly puked when I smelled this! "fecal experience" describes it perfectly