Reviews by Bal a Versailles

Courtesan by Worth

I ponder at this fragrance, ponder some more and realise I am pondering its raison d’etre. Prompted by Victoria Frolova’s reaction to ‘Pineapple Compound’ in her perfumery training I question why it had to open with pineapple. I’ve been wearing Annick Goutal’s Musc Nomade in recent times, it being the epitome of sheer gauzy musk and so the transition to wearing Courtesan was not out on a limb; they are both ephemeral and arcane. At first I thought there was no fragrance at all; applied on freshly showered skin it simply disappeared like a wraith. I’m still not sure if the bottle I got (online discounter) was past its best.

The next morning, still warm from sleep I sprayed it on some bare skin and went downstairs to make tea and toast. It transmogrified into a pineapple fruit salad and the dry down asserted itself, soft floral, a little like Eau Claire des Merveilles. (EDCM is far superior IMO) Now, this was a little more like it, the Isoamyl acetate (Juicy Fruit) was tamed and there were soft skin scents. These wispy tendrils that emanate from a woman’s thigh were called ‘Cuisse de Nymph’ ...sigh, petal soft, and the French named a rose such to titillate. The Victorian English couldn’t cope and called the rose ‘Maiden’s Blush’

There are better roses, better accords, better musks and better pineapple. I don’t know why they bothered. I don’t know Courtesan’s ‘reason to be’ I would be grateful for other contributors input as to how this perfume should smell. It will nag at me, is my blind buy ‘off’?

The perfume was named for Cora Pearl, a Courtesan, associated with the Worth family and its ‘Haute Couture’ The gorgeous creature looked like Viven Leigh if the pictures are anythng to go by.

There is an experiment for Courtesan that I will leave you with. If, whilst wearing the perfume, you enjoyed a little lovemaking, might it bloom into a sex siren’s scent?.

I won’t tell and I don’t expect you to either. Cora Pearl’s life was not a family show, but
    it could be its ‘reason to be’

02 August, 2014

Fancy Nights by Jessica Simpson

It all started with the Big Bang:
    Bang for your buck, yes, this is so cheap you fear the contents. But that's not all, this is the 'Big Bang' fragrance. According to the theme song 'fourteen billion years ago expansion started' And now I know why, clearly Jessica Simpson employed Steve DeMarcado to create Fancy Nights. It's huge, like Giorgio Beverley Hills it starts expanding and enveloping, comets start flying, the air is dense and it's hard to breathe. With a hundred dollars between them the only Patchouli that equals its intensity, in my experience, is in Mon Parfum Cheri EDP. Well, that dries down to uber elegance, this continues to split the atom and burn your nostril hair. I thought the Patchouli was strong in Purplelips Sensual (Dali) It's like Alien on steroids. Riding instructions: Spray the small of your back. If you still like it fifteen minutes later try it somewhere away from your collarbone. Wait five hundred million years for its half-life before you leave the house! The shrivelled old lady who follows your sillage down the street will be me, it's gorgeous from a distance.

30th July, 2014

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

I spent most of my childhood wondering what root beer or sarsparilla would taste like. Without it being a reference base I can appreciate the beauty of Myrrhe Ardente for what it is. Hickory stick for one. English toffee is another. Fifty five years ago My Father awaited his Xmas parcels from London. We got British smarties (essentially M&Ms) and he got a burnt toffee from post war Britian. Then there's Kauri gum, or beach amber which has this delicate resin smell. I collect beach amber on my walks and Myrrhe Ardente is like wearing a whiff of it. The gum is, after all, the resin from giant trees burnt down 2,500 years ago, Agathis Australis.

It's gorgeous, unisex, wondrous and addictive, as someone else pointed out.

Discontinued, so I will probably buy a small back up

25 July, 2014

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

The first review by Calchic is what I echo. I own Cristalle EDT, EL's Jasmine White Moss, Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal and others whose names don't spring to mind. My husband owns Eau Savage and wears it often. Along with Chanel 19 EDP, Cristalle is my favourite Chanel. If that means I am an 'austere bitch' or 'heartless' then buy me the badge. I feel the warmth of the sun, the green green grass of home and the explosion of scented spring bulbs in Cristalle. It's my happy place, the spring lambs are eating daisies and I curl a knowing smile; by autumn the lamb will be delicious.

16 July, 2014

Eau Claire des Merveilles by Hermès

As happens so often I didn't warm to it at first. It warmed on me. If you are reading this you probably know of the original Eau des Merveilles, which I venture to suggest, was a commercial success. Sweet almond biscuits on a plaid beach blanket, calamine lotion, marram grass and slightly pithy orange segments. The nod to the parent perfume is there but there's a touch of 24 Fauborg in Eau Claire and it's Abercrombie and Fitch meets Fifth Avenue. You do have to be lavish with application to be rewarded with the floral beauty of Claire, which is a bit naughty considering the price tag, but the cleavage fumes are worth it. Claire will never cheapen your perfumed persona

Do you ever have days when, having bought a full bottle of something that you wished and waited for, that instead, inexplicably, you turn to one with quiet charm? Mama said 'be careful what you wish for'

25 June, 2014

Amor Amor by Cacharel

We of the never never, are Cacharel followers, I have friends who love and wear Anais Anais, my husband has been through several bottles of Amor Amor pour homme/ Tentation and I enjoy Noa for its gentle appeal when others seem 'too much' A personage no less than Christopher Sheldrake commented favourably on Amor Amor in a Basenotes piece with Grant Osbourne. Well that got my heart beating. CS could recommend arsenic and I'd be Madame Bovary. Amor Amor Absolu was my choice in favour of the original 'classic' (which by the way is Bois de Jasmin's favourite fruity floral) because I'm old, jaded and cynical, but I love pineapple with the enthusiasm of a child. When my husband wears 'Quasar' it appears like a cartoon thought balloon, above the head or to the side, entirely independent of the rest of the composition. Genius. People, you have two choices (disregard the flankers) Classic or Absolue. My choice was with Absolue because I am older but when Victoria Frolova and Chris Sheldrake are on the same page with the Classic, if I was young, I'd be buying it, Lady Cacharel has a nice ring to it.

25 May, 2014

Azzaro Couture by Azzaro

A further advance on Chandler Burr's complimentary review on the new Couture would be redundant and a little arrogant, it really hits the mark. Yes, I often bemoan the dearth of elegant perfume releases in a plethora of saccharine concoctions. Saccharine is artificial sugar, a chemical aping of cane sugar just as the sweet monstrosities of the perfume world dull and dumb us down with the olfactory equivalent of high blood sugar. When I heard that Prada had produced 'Candy' there was a sharp intake of breath and a very long measured sigh. Small voices say 'Learn to accept the things you can't change and be grateful for small mercies,' then came Nicky Minage. Candy, all is forgiven.
    I had never heard of Couture, not even the older version but the new one caught my eye at a ridiculous price on a daily special. Mentally I was rockin' Austin Powers as I spied the bottle. I really liked it, in the way I liked Thunderbirds (FAB) and the suspended polycarbonate white sound shell chair of the sixties. I found a few references, Chandler's being one of them and gave it a go. I'm so pleased I did. I can believe that this perfume contains five absolutes, which is to say, I want to believe it because I like it, If you took to 'Enjoy, Bill Blass (new) Fleur de Cristal, Flora Nymphaea, Champs Elysee, Y (YSL) Belle en Rykiel etc then that's the general direction but they're not as good. Obviously regulations have taken their toll on these and Couture has been built from the ground up. It's a happy spring scent. a feminine scent (sorry guys, I can't see it on a man) It's compote sweet, not jammy sweet.(compote only has enough sugar to keep for a few days) and there is a sort of guava or feijoa blossom tang. I've worn it faithfully for days, enjoying the fruit tea aspect of the dry down. That's a smash hit at my place.

The bottle has tiny crystals on the top, Austin Powers' fembots are grooving the scene. "Hey DaddyO, do I make you smell nice, baby? Oh Austin, behave....and retrieve my bottle of Couture from the fembots, I'm sure there's state secrets embedded in those little Swarovski crystals. Yes, I can see Liz Hurley as Vanessa wearing this, a top model with a comedic side, classy but fun.

28 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2014)

Coco Noir by Chanel

Without owning a sample I would like to second everything Mimi Gardenia writes in her review and say that this is simply gorgeous on my daughter. Just because it may not (or it may) suit me doesn't detract from its obvious appeal. The longevity and sillage are right up there. I may buy a bottle before fragrance restrictions dumb down this Lois Lane of a perfume. "All roads lead to Rome" my Mother is fond of saying but perhaps all roads lead to Chanel. Impressive.

13 April, 2014

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

My daughter's wedding loomed. 'What perfume will you wear" I asked. Her face turned inside out "It has to be something that nobody else is wearing, what do you have?" I had a little something that I thought might work, all thanks to a very sophisticated but supremely approachable SA at Nieman Marcus Alamoana Centre. Because it was her nuptial perfume of choice I handed my gorgeous sample to my daughter, who instantly fell in love with Tom Ford's Champaca Absolute. It met the criteria too. Aha! Not the subject of this review, you ask, what are you blithering on about? The bride is the star of the show, but what does the Mother of the Bride wear? What says 'I know enough about perfume to get this mix right' ? I racked my brains and decided that Cristalle could translate that mixture of joy and understated elegance, but hell, Cristalle wouldn't last past the first hour. Jasmin White Moss isn't a clone when compared wrist to wrist, but let's face it, the Queen is dead, Long live the Queen; Cristalle is barely supported by Chanel as all the marketing energy has gone into the Exclusifs and a certain Pitt stop. The wedding is next week. Thank you Aerin Lauder, thank you Estee, for this perfume's conception. I think there's a trace of 'Beautiful' in it, but perhaps I'm brainwashed. Whatever White Moss Mist is, I'm a believer and I love it. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

01st April, 2014

Chypre Mousse (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

As a seasoned gardener I experienced a very realistic impression of the perfume notes; they were wild fennel, penny royal, asparagus fern and clary sage, but it is the mushroom that is dominant at the outset, the star of the show. It's drenched in a balsamic glaze and cooked in an earth pit, in my country that is a hangi. I imagine the dark caves of France where cheese and truffles are kept and think that Chypre Mousse should have its own vat, it's own region, similar to a wine appellation. Kafkaesque's review (on his/her blog) mentions a chrysanthemum note, a genteel way of identifying the dung note, for it is surely there, just as it is in Tom Ford's Urban Musk, I kid you not.
    What is disconcerting to me is that I cannot get past the Lifebuoy soap. (apparently it's violet, but not as we know it) It's as if the thoroughly composted leaf mould, dark and friable, met the truffly mushroom goodness and went, by mistake, into the soap vat instead of the oak barrels reserved for the best Syrah. So, I can't live with the Protex (soap) loitering around the edges of the oak forest where the mycelia of Chypre Mousse call to the distant trampling of the pigs. At full dry down the perfume is full bodied and voluptuous. It's not for me, but a perfume highlight all the same. Unbelievably different and memorable, a wonderful experience.

My sample of Chypre Mousse came in the sample pack efficiently desptached from France to the bottom of the world in a package with a faultlessly handwritten address.

18 February, 2014

Iris by Yardley

I have the body spray and the EDT, the talcum would be nice too. I'm not much of a layerer but I feel an urge to go the whole hog, so to speak. I bought Y Iris because the word from Perfume Shrine said "if you like Hiris type Iris, run,don't walk, to the nearest Yardley outlet" It was a good steer; it's very wearable, a new classic. I love that it isn't sweet and the woody light musk is perfect for a long walk with the pooch; it wafts up pleasantly as I get a glow on and I feel quite refined (even though photographic evidence would disabuse one of that notion) It's inexpensive, not cheap; it's inoffensive, understated, a little different and memorable. I find myself reaching for it and using it liberally. Sometimes I put a puff of Pierre de Lune on top and they play nicely together. IMHO this is the best of the Yardley solliflores. I am won over.

09 December, 2013

No. 5 by Chanel

Daisy a Day

She was Hannah, born into relative poverty, in 1888. Her eleventh child, my Mother, was born in 1927. No 5 Chanel, the perfume, was six years old. Hannah was approaching forty, a time when levels of the fatty acid, palmitoleic, rise sharply in our systems. By the time a human body reaches seventy the amount of palmitoleic acid in our systems is tenfold that of a thirty year old. The mechanisms of ‘Old People Smell’ were discovered by Shoji Nakamura, of Shiseido Laboratories, in 1999.

I doubt that Hannah ever held a bottle of Chanel in her hands, although she would have seen it displayed in shops before her death in 1964. My Mother cries when she hears ‘A Daisy a Day’ on the radio, grieving for the parents she said goodbye to in 1946 and never saw again. The massive diaspora to the new countries, Canada, Australia and New Zealand had begun. I don’t need to issue forth with the history of aldehydic overdose or what Coco said about her perfume being the fragrance of a woman. Other reviews have said it all. I believe it is still the No 1 selling perfume in France and Europe. In my country, however, it has lost its way and has been replaced by Coco Mademoiselle.
    No 5 is so unpopular and so obscure I bought a bottle, my first since the seventies.

When I lift the stopper to my skin I thank the Heavens for a classical education that was State funded, for the medical care received free of charge, for green grass and beaches that scallop up our coasts. Nostalgia rains on my heart for those who went before, for those who couldn’t afford what we take for granted. This is what No 5 means to me, rain, and tears of joy…. And as for the ignorant gits who despise Chanel No 5, wrinkle their toffee nosed honks and say 'it smells like old ladies'... get this; it is not the perfume that smells like an old person, it is our biological fate. Yes, it will happen to you.

Pros: Inevitable part of a Perfume Education
    Cons: Costly, staid"

24 October, 2013

Passion by Annick Goutal

Marrakech Express

You're about to take a trip without leaving the farm.
    It begins at the farm where Grandpa is burning a pile of hoary leaves that didn't make the compost. They're comfrey and borage, sorrel and thistle, and the herbal smoke assaults your nose followed by the taste of bitter lettuce swirling in your palette. It blends strangely with your perfume, First by Van Cleef and Arpels. A worse combination would be hard to find.
    At this stage it's, quite frankly, unpleasant. The floral joss sticks mentioned by other reviews are there in abundance, wafting the attar of the funeral pyre.

Whoosh! It's gone, you've dropped into the sultry air of the tropics, transported by a Matrix. Now you're engulfed by climbers, Mandevillea and Port St John creeper, the air treacle thick in the tropic of Capricorn. They exert their pressure on the jasmine as vines do on trellis work, insidiously twining. Passion is a boa constrictor.

The dry down is beautiful, and it needed to be after the previous two hours. Is it worth the struggle?
    You must decide. Forewarned is forearmed.

Pros: Stick shift is always fun to drive
    Cons: A challenge at the outset"

12 October, 2013

Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal

A Portrait of a Marriage

If Vita Sackville West had harnessed her knowledge of flowers and writing to a penchant for perfume what reviews would have graced The Observer? Imagine Sissinghurst Castle as an English Givaudan.
    Vita would have loved Ce Soir ou Jamais. It defined her life. "Tonight or Never" she told her lover, Violet Trefusis. They left their respective husbands and fled to Amiens, where their husbands, having flown in on a two seater plane, intercepted their plans. It was 1920. Absolute scandal ensued.
    Her garden was overblown with roses; she reported herself ‘Drunk with Roses.’ What rose perfume would Vita have loved? Her son wrote a book and called it ‘A Portrait of a Marriage’ Would Vita have loved Portrait of a Lady? Yes, I think she would have. She loved Souvenir du Docteur Jamain, deepest darkest blooms of Damask, prone to blight.....Yves St Laurent's 'Paris'?...Without doubt. Perfumer’s Workshop Tea Rose? Yes, she would have worn that in the garden and kept Ce Soir for the twilight. Would Sa Majeste from Serge Lutens have found its way into her tower. Yes, she would have worn it during the winter at pruning and burning time. Ce Soir ou Jamais is nothing but a thick jammy rose but it’s not what you’ve got, it’s how you use it.

Pros: Seminal work of Annick Goutal
    Cons: Drunk with Roses"

10th October, 2013

Aimez-Moi by Caron

Moi, Moi, Moi

Firstly, I love what Vintage Red said about Aimez Moi being old fashioned without being 'old lady'

Aimez Moi, originally composed by Dominque Ropion, reintroduced herself at the reformulation of his creation. Love me, it begged, and it seems he was the perfect gentleman. According to Bois de Jasmin and Perfume Shrine this is as close to the same perfume as it is possible to be, allowing for the new regulations.

It opens in a similar way to Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan, but of course CMist does not contain anise. The second stage is reminiscent of Yardley Iris, still a bit sharp even as it warms. The full bloom develops and this is where the perfume defines itself in a very beguiling way. It is anything but linear with accents of violet and fern, a poor man's L'Ondee perhaps. Aimez Moi is a friendly, competent companion, suitable for travel or work. I imagine wearing it in a vineyard, there’s something that makes me think of the gooseberry shudder of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. I think I like it better than Lolita Lempicka as it sits knife edge between bitter and bittersweet. I am fond of those violet pastilles that Moi conjures up in the minds of other reviewers and I love anise. I bought the 40 ml tube. (doesn't excite) If you like gourmands and Angel derivatives stick to LL or the sumptuous In Black by Jesus del Pozo. Getting back to Moi, the drydown is accomplished as one would expect of a Caron, but in all honesty my favourite reformulation of this year is Balmain's Ivoire. I woud buy Ivoire again based on juice, bottle, and price. Whilst Ivoire has been reinterpreted with some added sweetness, think Elie Saab, Aimez Moi still carries a tang that might be a hard sell to a younger audience raised on Banana Parfait.
    Let me take this opportunity to recommend Victoria Frolova’s assessment of the House of Caron both prior to and post reformulations.
    Only five of the female fragrances survive in good standing. Aimez Moi is one, then Farnesiana, Narcisse Noir, Parum Sacre and Nuit de Noel. It’s a must read.

Pros: Elegant and understated
    Cons: A stiletto in the dark, a bit cold"

09 October, 2013

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar Cake (with recipe)

"Let them eat cake" The utterance is attributed to Marie Antoinette upon hearing that the peasants were rioting due to the scarcity of bread. Let's attribute it, equally falsely, to Jean Paul Guerlain. Boil a lb of sultanas for five minutes, strain off water and allow half a pound of chopped butter and three quarter pound of sugar to melt in the hot fruit. Let it cool to tepid. Add 1 tsp each of almond essence, your best Madagascar vanilla essence and lemon essence and a pinch of salt. Breathe in the perfume of Eau de Shalimar. Yes, it's the batter. Add three well beaten large eggs together with three quarter lb of standard flour and a tsp of Baking Powder. Lift your perfume bottle high in the air and spritz it three times.( assuming there are no babies present) Bake in two loaf tins or one large extendable one in a moderate oven for 1 and a half hours. When cold serve with Earl Grey tea in an elegant salon similar to the one I saw Jean Paul interviewed in when the BBC screened their Perfume Series. You and the cake will be as one, better than sex, better than perfume.

Pros: Let us eat Cake
    Cons: Legere, where art thou?"

27 August, 2013

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Aniseed Balls

They take the seed of the rapeseed plant and coat it layer by layer in aniseed flavoured candy, finishing with a dark brown coating of gobstopper lustre. This was one of the most common sweets of my childhood and probably explains why I associate the herbal influence of LL with the seed and the sweetness of the concoction with layers of aniseed balls.

Cadbury's Milk Chocolate is wrapped in a glossy overwrap of thickly coated 'Cadbury's' Purple (Pantone 2685C) over a tightly stretched foil layer. There's a fragrance when the packet is opened that is only vaguely chocolate because it's heavily masked by the covering, the indigo smell of purple and the zinc of the foil. This is the second element of LL to my nose.

I don't know if I consider Lolita Lempicka a fragrance because sometimes I smell Christmas Ham.

The bottle could indeed double as a Christmas tree decoration and if it was musical it would sing 'When you wish upon a Star'

Gourmand anyone?

Pros: Easily unisex, quirky, Clever
    Cons: Unwanted Christmas Gift?"

25 August, 2013

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

You're So Vain

I wore this for a couple of wrist sniffing days, but somehow I couldn't commit to it. 'Not to sniffed at' the perfume responded by intensifying on my skin and proclaiming its lineage. Being a terrible inverted snob I was not swayed. It was too rich, too 'moneyed', too Portofino. It isn't 'Fresh' It's so utterly accomplished I recoiled.

Le Labo Iris 39 is my ultimate Iris based perfume for the forseeable future, see Darvant's reviews

Pros: Like walking onto a yacht
    Cons: Lacks freshness. Feels surreal "

17 August, 2013

Ivoire (new) by Pierre Balmain

Waterloo

The reinvented Ivoire deserves to have its praises sung. An Aston Martin is still an Aston Martin whether Sean Connery or Daniel Craig is behind the wheel. I’ve taken Ivoire for a spin and she’s still a classy number. For those who don’t know the original, the best comparison, to my nose, of the new incarnation, is Noa by Cacharel. Ivoire’s new bottle will stimulate style comparisons with Chanel 19 Poudre and Elie Saab’s creation by Francis Kurkdjian. The success of Ivoire will be due to Michel Almairac’s interpretation which retains the integrity of the original. Top marks for my favourite perfumer (in collaboration with Jacques Fiori) It's also an amazing price!

I was raised in an urban environment but I wouldn’t be a Kiwi if I didn’t know the scent of wool, rich in lanolin, off the sheeps back. Lux Soap. Sink a lightweight merino sweater into a gentle woolwash and the heavenly scent of clean and natural rises with the ribbons of steam. The temperature has to be just right. This is Ivoire, delicate but strong, simple but elegant. She’s homespun but electric with curiosity. This would be quite virginal on a man. It’s possible that Ivoire and a spray of Molecule 01 could raise the birth rate. I’ll pass the baton.

Pros: Knowing my fate is to be with you
    Cons: Can't bring myself to find fault"

08 August, 2013

Philosykos by Diptyque

Salad days

In New Zealand the Brown Turkey fig is commonplace. They are more cold tolerant than the Black Mission figs which produce sweeter fruits. We lived, for five years, in Nelson, one of two major fruit bowls for the country. Figs grow well in Nelson as it has the highest sunshine hours and low rainfall. There were several growing on the boundary where we lived.

I found Philosykos disappointing in every regard, all the more because (on my travels) I loped around the niche shops like a panting golden labrador looking for friends; and I found one at Diptyque. She gave me treats, which I am now reviewing, unfavourably. Talk about bite the hand that feeds you!

BTW I love 34 Boulevard St Germain. Yummy

Pros: A Yummy Hit
    Cons: Fleeting"

25 July, 2013

Eau France by Molinard

Shower Power

I kinda like it. Lord knows 4711 was a big deal when I was 13 and this is better. Spray the sheets on a hot day and while you're at it spray the poodle, the backs of your knees, your feet and your undies drawer. Keep it in the fridge and spray your salt laden hair, the lobes of your ears and the napkins you've just set the table with. In the morning wash it all off in the shower and reach for your bottle of Noa. You're French, right?

Pros: Lingers on
    Cons: The devil made me do it"

12 July, 2013

Arabian Wood by Tom Ford

Some habits that you just can't lose

Recommended by an amazing Maven at the Ala Moana Neiman Marcus store I have been dipping into this to find her well of promise. Along with Champaca Absolute this was my equal favourite sample of the TF Private Blends. If I was hard pressed would i remember this fragrance against stern competition? Probably not. Does a fragrance need to be utterly distinctive to strike a lasting chord? Perhaps it only needs to be twenty something for the duration of its bloom before becoming an overblown rose. It's lovely, very wearable and appealing but not bottle worthy at this stage of my education.

'Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flying:

And this same flower that smiles today
    To-morrow will be dying'

Robert Herrick

Pros: Instantly appealing
    Cons: I can't tell you why"

10th July, 2013

Ambre Doré by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A Rose by any other name

Ambre Dore, released in the west 2012 is Soir d'Orient.

From Fragrantica:

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Doré launched for the US & European market June 2012, was initially launched in 2006 exclusively for the Eastern market, as Soir D'Orient, but the current trend of oud in western perfumery has finally made way for MPG to launch Ambre Dore to the west as well as part of the collection "Les Accords Mystères". Finis.

Definitely unisex at the opening the oud is dominant, with hints, to my nose, of sour tamarind, defintely medicinal, as already covered. Thereafter in its mature phase the fragrance veers towards the feminine and many hours later a trace of Imperial Leather loiters artfully. MPG does not get enough love. The only thing that heightened appeal for Soir D'Orient was its scarcity. It has been ignored as Ambre Dore. I would put it up against Arabian Wood by Tom Ford anyday. Same strategy, marketed exclusively to Prince Ali Khan by spin doctors with degrees in advanced elephant washing.

Your loss, my gain, I've stocked up.

Pros: Collector's item?
    Cons:

02 July, 2013

Soir d'Orient by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Time to stock up

Ambre Dore, released in the west 2012 is Soir d'Orient.

From Fragrantica:

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Doré launched for the US & European market June 2012, was initially launched in 2006 exclusively for the Eastern market, as Soir D'Orient, but the current trend of oud in western perfumery has finally made way for MPG to launch Ambre Dore to the west as well as part of the collection "Les Accords Mystères". Fini.

Definitely unisex at the opening the oud is dominant, with hints, to my nose, of sour tamarind, defintely medicinal, as already covered. Thereafter in its mature phase the fragrance veers towards the feminine. MPG does not get enough love. The only thing that heightened appeal for Soir D'Orient was its scarcity. It has been ignored as Ambre Dore. I would put it up against Arabian Wood by Tom Ford anyday. Same strategy, marketed exclusively to Prince Ali Khan by spin doctors with degrees in advanced elephant washing.

Your loss, my gain, I've stocked up.

Pros: Belly dancers come to mind
    Cons: Notta one

02 July, 2013

Truth or Dare by Madonna

Take a Bow

Truth or Dare is better than I expected, much better. It has grown on me. Today I wore Fracas solid perfume (very subtle) behind the ears and on the wrist. If I were to apply Truth or Dare I would spray the small of my back only. I like the sparkling orange blossom in Truth or Dare. I guess that's the gardenia vying with the tuberose, the jasmine vying with the musk. And I like the bottle, it reminds me of the strings of milk glass beads, (Trifari, I think) bracelets and necklaces in my drawers that need restringing. I have tried this fragrance several times and dismissed it as being a Fracas imposter, but today with a direct comparison to Fracas I noticed the nuances and the sparkle and have reviewed accordingly.

Pros: You deserve an award for the role that you played
    Cons: This masquerade is getting older

01st July, 2013

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Julie Andrews

In 1980 I was asked by a colleague not to wear Opium to work. Poison and its flankers were a 'no fly zone' as a result. Recently I asked my gorgeous 30 something hairdresser what her favourite perfume was and she said it was Hypnotic Poison. It features massively in the Basenotes thread that goes something along the lines of 'most complimented fragrance' for women. In my recent travels I have availed myself of HP at every duty free and department store counter that I sashayed up to. I can only salivate as to what the pre-reformulation brew must have smelt like, the existing nectar left me wanting more depth, more punch. It is nice though and would make a lovely gift. Not bottle worthy in my estimation, but I'm an old chypre sister. I would rather wear Lolita Lempicka, another Menardo creation, if I had to choose.

Pros: Sweet, inoffensive, girl/boy from next door
    Cons: No staying power

30th June, 2013

Iris 39 by Le Labo

Don't Limit the Is

Just a little swing through Fillmore Street and I found Le Labo. I gave my heart to only one and it was Iris 39. It's...think about it. It is...It's. You will have your own way to describe this on your body and I'm almost certain it will be complimentary. It's stellar Iris to me.

Pros: It is lots of things
    Cons: There's a middle note a bit 'off' for about two seconds

22 June, 2013

Urban Musk by Tom Ford

I love Dumbo but this....

Dumbo is a Disney creation. Urban Musk is a Tom Ford creation. I wished I could flap my ears when I tried it, anything to fan away the odor of the elephant house. Yes, this was a big dumpy poo from Jumbo as he walked through the zoo with his keeper. Maybe it's a guy thing.

Pros: Maybe it's a guy thing
    Cons:

19 June, 2013

34 Boulevard Saint Germain by Diptyque

100 not out

To my nose, troubled by Vegas air con, this is a dead ringer for the Courant (Helena Rubenstein) I used to wear in the seventies. There's a whiff of Yatagan as the dry down begins and you are reminded that this is gender neutral. It has been my companion in the scorching heat of Las Vegas these last couple of days. How could I not love it? Nothing survives this heat without a bit of respite and in the cooler air conditioned air 34 Boulevard reveals pipe tobacco, spice, patchouli, and ..Courant. It's he best Diptyque on me and well worth trying

Pros: Captivating Oriental Spicy
    Cons: Been done before

17 June, 2013

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Gin Sling

Hendricks Gin and Apres La Mousson seem unlikely bedfellows but the mind of this reviewer pays homage to Passage to India, A Jewel in the Crown and a nip of W. Somerset Maugham into the bargain. There is a metholated burst at the opening and the gin kicks in. How odd that a Frenchman encapsulated the Raj in this way. I observe the gamine eyes of the Fishing Fleet narrowing at the nuances of ALM. I'm sure they wore Jicky, thick with quintessential lavender, or whatever preceded it. Come hither, said the spider to the fly, be seduced by the stunning beauty of Indian women who didn't perfume themselves with the contents of a Turkish brothel. This, surely, is what evaporated from their skin. Seduction of a different kind. He's a clever man, that JCE. I recall Jubal Harshaw from Stranger in a Strange Land saying a man can not love one woman completely without loving all women somewhat. Only for the broadminded, this piece of history.

Pros: Cosmopolitan, Daring, Love of all Humanity
    Cons: Not on your clothing, not this one (even though it's Hermes)

05 June, 2013