Reviews by Unvisible

Unvisible's avatar
    Unvisible

Original Vetiver by Creed

Wash a car on a hot summer day. Dump out water with soap and suds into freshly cut grass. Urinate on the soap soaked grass. Original Vetiver.

05 July, 2014

Vétiver by Creed

Excellent. I missed out on this one, but managed to obtain a bottle from the perfumed court.

It is very mossy and green. A carbonated mahogany-like wood with moss and carbonated water. It's really too bad it is discontinued.

05 July, 2014

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I love this stuff. I don't get any chocolate, or fruits, or honey. Just straight up tobacco blended with vanilla, 50/50. Just as the name implies. Only con would be the ridiculous price.

15 June, 2014

Roadster by Cartier

The mint in this fragrance is very nice. But there really isn't anything else there... I end up smelling like one of those creamy after-dinner mints... not something I want to smell like. If they had blended more notes into this, it would be terrific. but alas. nothing but mint.

27 May, 2014

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Another hall of famer from Prada. Fresh and soapy!

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

No idea why people are mentioning reformulation... I got a bottle not even a year ago and it's great.

Some say this smells feminine.... I guess.... if you think the smell of bath soap is feminine, then maybe. I don't smell anything feminine or decidedly masculine, just smells soapy fresh, much like gendarme, another one of my favorites. agreeing with a previous review, it works well as a soapy clean scent as well as a work of olfactory art. zen like in it's simplicity, but by no means bad. a modern masterpiece that in my opinion will be considered an all time classic for eternity.

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

My brother was wearing this one day and I never forgot it. A few years later I got a bottle. Very affordable and the smell is terrific! Longevity is poor, but the scent alone is worth it.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I'm going to have to agree with gimpy on this... having owned both cool water and GIT, and my pick any day is also cool water. It smells more cohesive and decided, whereas green irish tweed smells like an off-beat "green note" flanker to cool water. I also cannot find an occasion that cool water doesn't work. 5 stars!

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

I was hoping this would smell like coppertone sunscreen, which I love the smell of. Nope. This smells different to me, and not at all good. Bond no 9 are too expensive and I also do not care for the bottles. No thanks.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Light years better than light blue for men. Fresh and long lasting. I've even worn this. Thumbs up.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

It took me about a year of testing to really understand this. I now love it and think of it almost as a version of prada amber pour homme if it were made in the 30s. It smells great and doesn't seem dated. The lavender is beautiful. This is an anti-cologne scent in my opinion, one of those fragrances that someone else would be more likely to think as a soap than a cologne. It's very Affordable and I like the minimalist bottle too. Old school classic for sure.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I no longer buy anything from gucci as I feel there current offerings are absolutely awful, with the exception of this. A unique fragrance utilizing the scent of black tea. It doesn't last very long, but it smells very nice when it's there. Box and bottle look nice too.

Hopefully gucci doesn't discontinue this like all of there other good products (gucci pour homme 1, 2003 for example). 5 stars until gucci stops making it.

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

A real piece of art. I get a turpentine opening, quickly blending with cedar and pine, creating a cooling effect. It reminds me of the inside of a 100 year old cottage in the woods... really old damp wood, vintage furniture and tree resins. So evocative and calming. The only minus is the extreme price.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

The only armani I like. I own both a vintage bottle from the mid 90s and a bottle from 2012, and I honestly cannot tell them apart.

Both have the same longevity. If armani made the lasting power more than an hour, it would be 5 stars all the way. One of, if not the best classic citrus fragrances ever made, hands down.

09 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2014)

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

Christopher Brosius has really amazed me with this. This is the smell of spring where I grew up. Smells completely natural. Many people say they can't wear it because they don't want to smell like dirt and twigs, but it smells terrific. there's no reason you shouldn't wear it if you like it. and I do.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

5 stars. Thank you comme des garcons for making this. If only it lasted longer than an hour. This, along with GPH1 (2003) are the best wood scents I've ever come across. Many people compare the two, and I can see that. CDG2 Man is much lighter to me, whereas the amazing GPH1 is dark and rich. A beautiful scent, a real work of art.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

My favorite fragrance of all time. Gucci should be ashamed for discontinuing this and instead trying to sell the awful gucci by gucci pour homme by gucci.

This is the deepest, richest, well blended woody scent I've ever smelled. The cedar is amazing in this.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Amazing fragrance. Only negatives are that it does not last long at all and isn't available in the U.S. Classic.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Terrible. Walk into any mall and you will smell this whether you want to or not. Absolutely nauseating and boring. Smells like boxed commercialism. Very similar to armani code. I despise them both. Shame on gucci for discontinuing the masterpiece that was Gucci Pour Homme (2003 version with black and white patterned box, and heavy square brown bottle.)

Vetiver by Guerlain

give it time

When I first sampled Guerlain's Vetiver, I didn't understand all the praise. It smelled simply of.... a tangy lemon. That's it. I was very confused, and didn't really like the smell. However, I kept trying it at different times, on different days, on skin and clothes, different moods. After a while I was able to pick apart different scents within the fragrance (a peppery feel, green notes, citrus, and tobacco.... even black licorice). I began to really enjoy it. It was hard putting this smell into perspective; forming a visual interpretation of it. After testing it for over a year (and now owning a bottle), I can say that to me, this smells like wet grass and earth. That's right... the smell of dripping wet green grass, saturated soil and roots after a hard but brief summer rainfall, and then the sun comes out and begins to slowly heat everything up. Very earthy and green. I think this could be worn by females. I think it can smell soapy at times too. It usually puts me in a good mood to wear this. It has the same affect on me as sunshine. And no... to me this smells nothing like an old man. In fact it doesn't smell dated at all. It could work year round, for lounging on the couch, to a business meeting, working in a factory, school.... anything. A wonderful smell.

Pros: versatile,not dated, invigorating
    Cons: none"</p>

02 October, 2013 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2014)

Beach by Bobbi Brown

unique

I'm a guy who usually prefers more masculine scents (fahrenheit) as well as soapy ones, and I love to rock this. I think it is a unisex smell. Yes, it really does smell like coppertone! Depending on your tastes, that's a good thing or bad. In my case, it's good. 4 stars, but could easily be 5 if it weren't for the high price tag and short longevity. Either way, guy or girl, check it out.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

covers the entire spectrum from clean to dirty

This, like Guerlain's Vetiver, took some getting used to. At first sampling, I thought this was the smell of a generic bar of soap scented with patchouli and incense (which the bottle resembles). I couldn't smell any of these urine cake/feces notes everyone was talking about. On the contrary; it smelled almost clean. On subsequent wearings, I could definitely detect what could be interpreted as a urine/fecal smell. But really I think it's just the honey/civet smell. I really hope they are not using authentic civet to make this stuff. After more than a year experimenting with it, I wore it outside on a hot summer day and it smelled great! It doesn't smell dated and has great strength and smells fresh, but also dirty. It seems a lot of the younger people these days are getting into old school classics, and this shouldn't be overlooked. There's a reason it's still for sale.

Pros: not outdated
    Cons:

02 October, 2013

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Great fragrance

Cigar.... this smells like it costs 2-3 times what it is going for. A quality scent. There are not many scents that I feel blends tobacco in with the other notes of a fragrance. Take tobacco vanilla for instance.... in my opinion, the tobacco and vanilla does not seem blended, they seem very separate, almost competing for attention. Not to say tobacco vanille is bad, but Cigar is a great combination. The tobacco is present but not punching you in the face like TV. Extremely underrated, lasts forever and smells of quality.

Pros: quality
    Cons: underrated"

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

amazing

First, I think this is an amazing fragrance. Classic. Super versatile and not dated at all. But what a shame. YSL made this masterpiece and decided "let's repackage it in a new bottle that we will use for our other standard YSL's, put in half the amount we originally did, and double the price." Bad move. I have a sample of this, and I will not be buying a bottle.... ever. It is sad to see greed result in the death of a masterpiece. Consumers are on to this, and I imagine they won't be buying this for over $100 a bottle either. A+ for the smell, F for marketing and price.

Pros: smells great
    Cons: new bottle design along with far less in quantity and a ridiculously high price"

Gendarme by Gendarme

A masterpiece. This is fresh. It's the most sublime fragrance I've ever smelled... so unobtrusive, yet still present. It doesn't seem to ever become annoying. When the scent hits my nose, it's a simliar sensation to a clean bed sheet being shaken in the air and gently falling down, landing over your face. Amazing.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2012)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Yuck. I can't stand the smell of this. it's not hard to detect the lipstick/makeup smell. this does not smell anything close to masculine to me. dior homme: take a women's leather purse full of lipstick and cosmetics, leave it in the sun for 6 hours, and pour hot wax in it. thumbs down.

04 May, 2012

Erolfa by Creed

Sublime fragrance. Smells like a warm summer breeze blowing through laundry hanging on the line. I think this would be fine for women to wear too. Can't imagine erolfa offending anyone. This is definitely the most underrated of all the creeds. One of, if not the best. thumbs up.

08 April, 2012

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This smells very good to my nose. it is a very overrated fragrnce. Yes, to me if does resemble cool water a lot, and possibly aspen even more. but it does smell good. I just don't get any longevity out of it. 3 hours and it's gone. it does not come close to justifying the outrageous price. my little bottle of aspen stays on my clothes for over a day. for this I have to give it a neutral. great smell, but lasts 3 hours if that, and is way too expensive. won't be buying another bottle of this.

16 March, 2012