Reviews by nefastvs

nefastvs's avatar
    nefastvs

Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber

A magnificent summer scent. I visited the Farina factory in Köln and Farina was a virtuoso in the field perfumery. This masterpiece is evident of this. Perfectly blended fresh citrus scent with a lovely dry down.

22nd October, 2012

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

A poor imitation of Farina's Kölnisch Wasser (the true original eau de Cologne). Smells cloyingly synthetic... something a teenager would wear.

22nd October, 2012

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Tried it in Paris first (at the Creed boutique) and wasn't overly impressed. Then I tried it again at ScentBar in LA... and this one is a winner. The fruity and piney galbanum create an almost floral tea scent. The drydown is really fresh and fasntastic, with the galbanum and petitgrain expressing more. Sillage on this one was pretty good... lasted me a good few hours. Lovely scent for outdoor formal settings (e.g. outdoor wedding).

28th August, 2012

Costes by Hôtel Costes

Starts of very nice and interesting, with a musky, dusty, incensed rose scent. After about a half hour, it dries down to a cloying old-lady smell.

27th August, 2012

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Starts of a nice and fresh citrus and wood scent that dries to a barely noticeable sour note.

01st April, 2012

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Starts off with a nice fresh green top... a bit of mint and licorice in there... then just moprhs into a sweet honeysuckle... then to an earthy honeysuckle on the dry down. Love it. I'd wear this at something like an outdoor wedding, or other formal event outdoors.

26th March, 2012

New West for Him by Aramis

This smells like walking in the hills here in LA in the summer. The citrusy, aromatic herbs in the air during the day, the smell of the cedars all over the place, the earthiness of the horse trails, and the sweet musky woodiness of the chaparral in the evening during the dry-down. A lovely aromatic and faintly aquatic chpyre. I'd wear it during warmer days in like 70­-80°F weather (20-25°C).

25th March, 2012

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

This is for the P&G version. I'd still love to try the OG Shulton juice.

Not a fan of the opening. The aldehyde and floral notes pop out way too much for me... smells of old school shaving foam or something. But when they settle... oh, man watch out. The spice and cream notes come through, and for me that a win, that's what I'm looking for, that's what the name implies.

Great cold weather juice, it just shoots right past the extra layers you wear. It smells like Thanksgiving and Christmas with my mom's family, who are Armenian.

21st March, 2012

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Interesting spicy fragrance. I bought this a few years ago when I was just looking to own a fragrance for going out to bars and had no interest in fragrance nuances. It's great for younger girls who are still in their yummy phase, but it lacks longevity. Not bad, but for it's purpose in my wardrobe (something for temperatures around 60-70­­­°F (15-20°C), I prefer AOS Sandalwood and for colder temps, I prefer Old Spice or Intense Euphoria. I'm not much into going to clubs anymore, so it's lost it's purpose for me.

24th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th April, 2012)

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

Holy f--k, do I love this fragrance. I can't get enough of it. It's a joy to wear. I'm constantly sneaking whiffs of myself when I wear it. Intoxicating. I have the soap and the aftershave as well, so I get the full experience when I'm shaving. Usually wear it on cooler days (60-70°F/15-20°C). The ladies love it too (even the younger ones).

It's got that medicinal herb top, that dries down into this rich vanilla wood scent. Mmmm-mmmm! May not be overwhelmingly sandalwoody, more a cedar wood/sandalwood blend, but it's definitely a wooded, and a damn good one at that.

Some people who have issue with the medicinal herb top notes, I suggest that you layer with the aftershave balm. The aftershave starts off with creamy notes, and has none of the medicinal notes the EdT has; the creaminess tempers the herbal blast, and you end up walking around smelling like a sexy lumberjack. Again... the chicks dig it. A manly scent that isn't cloyingly manly.

24th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th April, 2012)

Vetiver by Guerlain

This one is another one of my favs. One of these scents that I can't stop sneaking whiffs of myself when wearing. Great for warm springtime days (70-80°F/20-25°C) and even hotter temps, if you're not OCD about what you wear and when, like myself. It's a refreshing scent, and that's nice during the warmer days.

Starts off nice and clean, with the citrus and herbal accords, the vetiver coming though with it's soapy notes. I actually get a lot of the spicy sharpness of the basenotes early on too. The drydown sweetens the fragrance up a bit. The richness of the spices and the woodiness of the vetiver and cedar pop in. Later on the tonka, tobacco, and nutmeg tempers the soapy, woody vetiver with richness, but not so much that it wouldn't be called a vetiver scent. No, this one still smells nice and fresh after the basenotes start singing.

24th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd March, 2012)

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

A savory scent, well-blended, with the citrus and spices playing the phrase in the beginning, and the piney mossy notes coming in at the base... lavender playing the motif throughout. It's my sophisticated manly scent that I wear it for important events (usually in a nice suit and tie, or tux).

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

A spicier, more gourmand, and less acidic version of Euphoria... it's not just a clever name. Great for a different smelling fragrance than the rest of the guys at clubs and bars. Younger girls love it (yummy phase), and I sometimes use it in place of Old Spice, when I don't want something quite as strong. Fruity out in front; tonka, spices, and woods on drydown; spices throughout.

English Leather by Dana

Just a f---in' manly scent. A no-nonsense, rugged, but gentlemanly type of scent. It's not a high brow scent, but it's got class. I mainly wear it when I'm doing something active (physical labor or sports).

It is a very simple fragrence. It comes on strong with the turpine, tar, and citrus notes on application. On the dry down, the woods start to work its way through. The tar and turpine notes start to evolve into a creamier, oakier note along side the woods. The citrus notes eventually lose their sweet and acidic tops, but they linger on through the bitter peel zest notes in the heart, which temper the creamy oak notes.