Reviews by dougczar

dougczar's avatar
    dougczar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Lemon covered grapefruit. I pick up the oakmoss and sandalwood in the drydown, but this is all about the lemon and grapefruit fighting for attention for much of its short life.

While this is a wonderfully bright and fresh citrus fragrance, it does have some drawbacks. The opening is a little sharp, and the longevity is horrid. If you have 4711, then you don't need this one. This actually reminds me a little of Creed Original Cologne for the first 30 minutes (albiet much less refined than the Creed).

So, while Burberry Weekend is nowhere near perfect, it is a great pickup for the price, and a very enjoyable wear for the warm summer months.

28 July, 2012

Agarwoud by Heeley

I find this to be one of the best oud / rose combinations. Unlike many oud scents, this one doesn't smell like a barnyard. This seems to be a sport flanker of those deeper oud fragrances. It's a champagne-like oud / rose. Bubbly and light. An oud for the summertime. Inoffensive and clean. One of the best oud fragran... No, one of the best fragrances I have smelled. They want a lot for this, but I will give it to them gladly.

27 July, 2012

I Love New York for Fathers by Bond No. 9

Upon initial application, it reminds me of something from the Hermes Un Jardin line. However, this lasts MUCH longer on me, and has much more depth on the drydown.

For a nice green summer fragrance that actually lasts (as Bond No. 9 scents tend to do), this is a great option...

22 July, 2012

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

I enjoy many offerings from Annick Goutal, however this is not in the same league as some of the best in this class. If you want a truly remarkable incense fragrance, go with CdG Avignon, Armani Prive Bois d'Encens, Montale Full Incense, or by Kilian's Incense Oud.
    I find some of the lesser offerings like this one by Annick Goutal to more closely resemble a dirty ashtray than an incense. Not the kindy of "smoky" vibe I am going for.

21st July, 2012

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

I love this one. For a citrus based scent, it lasts forever. Maybe the EDT has better sillage, but this one still does just fine.

The isn't your typical orange like you would find in Happy or some of the other basic summer time scents, but rather a deeper orange peel smell.

This is great almost anywhere, and since it is not the sweet fruity orange scent, it works for almost any time also. Casual or semi-formal occasions, day or evening - this stuff works!

25 May, 2012

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

The opening lemon kick does have an air freshner quality to it. Overall, however, this is really a nice, fresh, summertime scent. If you like nice clean citrus scents, give this one a shot. The longevity is better than a lot of this type.
    I wouldn't pay top dollar for this, but if you have a need for simple citrus / green scent and you can get a hold of this for a good price, you could do worse.

21st May, 2012

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Finally got my hands on a sample of this from Bond No. 9. Put it on about 2 hours ago... Yep - pancakes & maple syrup! If I try, I can pick out some of the various notes, but it's hard to get past the smell like the waiter at IHOP dumped my breakfast in my lap.

I also find this a little too sweet and cloying. Unfortunately, my wife seems to LOVE it on me! So, what am I supposed to do now? I guess I'll be in the market for this soon.

19 May, 2012

Aventus by Creed

I purchased a bottle of this about two weeks ago. Maybe it was just the batch I received, but the longevity was great!
    This to me is a wonderful scent - the more I wear it, the more I like it. Also, my wife goes NUTS over this - more so than any other I have in my collection.
    I completely agree that it smells very much like money or freshly printed newspaper - that is the main mental image I have when I smell this - but in a wondrous way.
    Another thing that makes this great is that it can be worn year round - day or evening. Also unique. Expensive? Sure. Worth it? Yep.

13 May, 2012

Black Aoud by Montale

I do like rose, but I like L'Artisan Voleur De Roses better - the rose is more pronounced.
    This stuff is ok, but I have had people tell me that it smells like an old woman. I don't think it does really, but this does destroy everything in its path. not soft. not subtle.

28 April, 2012

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Cucumber and ozone. Nice clean feeling, but there are a lot of other options out there for a nice clean feeling - at a much lower price.

07 April, 2012

Vintage Black by Kenneth Cole

I love this one. Not the greatest for longevity, not the greatest sillage, but a remarkable scent that is not overbearing, overpowering, or cloying.

This actually is very similar to Kenneth Cole Black in many ways - it just seems to be missing the sweet top note that KC Black has. This makes it just a little more subdued than Black. If you already own KC Black, you probably don't need this, since they are so similar. If you don't yet own either, you may want to try both out and decide for yourself which is better -- or do what I did and buy both. I loved KC Black so much that I bought this one blind - and I don't regret it.

If I had to pick between the two, I would probably choose KC Black over this Vintage version (I like the added sweet watermint that the Vintage is missing), but you can't go wrong with either... or both!

10th March, 2012

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Initially, smells like Deep Woods Off. Is that deet I detect? However, when it dries down, it does have a pretty decent scent, and lasts longer than many others.

You can certainly go exploring while wearing this - and you won't have to worry about mosquitoes.

I give it a neutral rating however, since it is very different from any other colognes I own - bonus points for not being the same old, same old - but hard for me to shake the mosquito repelent odor.

06 March, 2012

Forbidden Rose by Avril Lavigne

I wouldn't normally purchase a celebrity's scent, but I wound up purchasing this for my wife because I absolutely LOVED this. It smells wonderful on her. Very clean feminine scent. I like it better than her other one - Wild Rose.

We will buy it again for sure.

03 March, 2012