Reviews by Janinae

Janinae's avatar
    Janinae
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Obsession embodies all I expect from true classic. Don`t ask me about the date of it`s release and it`s original formula, I was too small than and growing up in a country where Western perfumes were hard to get. I smell in here and now, in it`s current formula and find it absolutely wonderful. No pretty going on bubbly sweet but real life thing. My favorite part of Obsession is it`s dry down spicey-woodsy-ambery-vanilla-musk combo done in an old fashioned way. Was Obsession released today it would be probably under some niche brand. There is this "hard to catch" cord that plays tricks on one`s nose: spicy for a while and sweet another time, woodsy and earthly.... It feels like sailing an old timber sailboat to the far East...

25 December, 2012

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Cinema is very near to the perfect perfume for me. I know... the warm apple crumble signature is there but that is not all. Not at all. No matter how descent it manages to shine through. I remember, before all the cinema multiplexes came into fashion, those small local cinemas, where films were often showed even if they were not just hot off the producers... The silver screens waiting for a movie to begin and again the same silver (actually golden) screen after the credits were over. Sometimes people used to stay till the credits were finished, pinned down by the atmosphere. This is Cinema EdP for me. You are pinned down. Not necessarily knowing why but the projection grasped you and the impression stays.

13 May, 2012

English Rose by Yardley

English rose is actually watered down oriental Rose in disguise. Starting off with promising whiff of Turkish delight is goes than through (tested on fabric) a middle stage that resembles beef stock cooling down on a window casing where are also flower pots with geranium. This fragrance is not uninteresting but not a winner since you can get much better and elaborate Al Haramain`s Noora (for about the same price) with triple the lasting power.

27 April, 2012

Princesse Muscat / Coeur de Raisin by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This one is a winner for me. Once the initial sweetness is gone it takes on dark roses, grapes, orchids and musk and deepens quite a lot. The dry-down is pure bliss.

11th April, 2012

Fantasme by Ted Lapidus

Raspberry vanilla musk with strong woody amber notes reminding me of Kenzo`s Kashaya. Dances between Kashaya and Rochas` Tocade until it comes down into soft, feminine scent. Pretty good.

04 April, 2012

1001 NIghts by Ajmal

1001 nights is for me bottled Orient. Hot! All you don`t expect but are surrounded by inevitably, strangers both in rags and in expensive fabrics. Smell of wood, cheap sweet perfumes, and expensive oud oils... smell of dust and smell of rain...

I like my fragrances being a bit weird... and this one fall into that category perfectly. Turn once and your nostrils want to reject, turn twice and you can`t get enough.

Smelly although clean, clean although smelly. Clean sweat if that makes any sense to you. To me it does.

03 April, 2012

White Musk by Body Shop

I think this is next to Jovan Musk the best musk scent in the cheap and cheerful category. Makes me feel good and cosy.

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

I just love this Rose! Nothing linear and simple like English rose scents but a good oriental rose. Very close to Bulgarian (Istambul and Taifi - all one family - brought from Balcan to Arab.Peninsula) with a soul from Arabian spice market. For me - rose perfection!

Update: the drydown is a bit similar to Noora by Al Haramain (cpo)

Kashka by Arabian Oud

CPO: very pleasant blend of oud wood, sandal wood, saffron, rose and fruit mix. Great lasting power and projection.