Reviews by longstreth

longstreth's avatar
    longstreth

Elie Saab Le Parfum by Elie Saab

I like Elie Saab quite a bit. I own the EdT but have tried the EdP as well. I enjoy the latter's top notes more, but the former's drydown is really quite nice as well. The flowers are nice but not overpowering, and it has a little bit of a subtle edge to it that I really enjoy. I have no problem wearing this "feminine" fragrance (although it's probably not something I would pair with an old T-shirt and jeans).

10th October, 2012

Vetiver by Guerlain

I too have been told that I'm playing above my age bracket, so to speak, by wearing Guerlain's Vetiver. Not a problem in my books—if old people wear this, then old people smell great! This vetiver is fantastic, maybe even Professor Emeritus of vetivers. Tall praise but quite justified, and the sheer number of positive reviews here on Basenotes speak for themselves. My one complaint is longevity: on my skin it doesn't last quite as long as I'd like it to, but it's still worth those glorious five hours.

09th October, 2012

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

This is a very vetiver-y vetiver. It's dirt cheap and smells like vetiver should. I don't like it as much as, say, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (one of the most smoothly blended vetivers I've had the pleasure to wear) but it's still darn good.

I'm with shlalaw here: this would pair very well with Encre Noire. I wore it with Guerlain Vetiver today and had a positive result as well. If you're into vetiver, there's really no reason not to try this.

09th October, 2012

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

My first review here on Basenotes!

What a way to start. An extremely overzealous SA drenched me in this today. I was immediately hit with what Odysseusm aptly calls an "old-sweat" note. I tried not to throw up, but the guy was too busy extolling its virtues to notice.

I can't get it off me. I've already washed my arms twice. I feel like Lady Macbeth here. I wish I had the noses of the people who like this.

06th October, 2012