Reviews by walkdogg

walkdogg's avatar
    walkdogg

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka

At last!!! Two of my most favorite scents combined into a blissful and breathtaking package! It took a kings ransom, a great deal of looking and even more patience to finally get my hands on this after hearing about it in summer 2012.

It still has all the hallmarks of Au Masculine, in fact, if I had to guess I'd say it's more similar to L'eau Au Masculine plus a shot of synthetic oud. I do wish the Oud used were more along the lines of what you smell in Kilian creations, but this fall closer to those in the Montale variety.

Nevertheless, a marvelous and special blend for sure!

24 January, 2013

Carbone de Balmain by Pierre Balmain

Very masculine and dark. It does have a resemblance to pencil shavings. Could be a near cousin to Encre Noire. I am also associating this with one of the scents from the lil' Niche wonderkin house "Slumberhouse". I cannot recall with certainty which one.

There is nothing clean, soapy, sweet or aquatic about this one. It's all earth, spice, wood, shadows and sin.

8/10 for the low price ($34 incld shipping on ebay) it's a good blind buy!

18 January, 2013

Driven Black by Derek Jeter

This is definitely the adopted brother of the family.
    Not born from the loins of AVON.
    It's got serious game.

Reminds me a lot of Tam Dao...not an exact replica, but very much cousins.

Perhaps a "Poor Mans Tam Dao"?

13 October, 2012

Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga

In her interview on GMA she says that she wanted the smell to be "slutty" and in the same breath says it reminds her of her mom.

rrriiiiigggghhhhtttt......

I smelled it, it's okay, a little pedestrian.

I think that Thierry Muglers "womanity" would have been more fitting for her both in smell and image.

14 September, 2012

Oud 27 by Le Labo

I am actually getting a pine sap smell in this. Reminicent of my days as a boy scout, camping out and being in the wilderness. When climbing trees or chopping them down I'd often get that thick sticky, IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE sap on my hands and it would not come off with anything but kerosene or gas.
    The opening of this OUD 27 by Le Labo has much the same aroma as that sap.

I cannot say if it's thumbs up or down. Leaning toward up though.

14 September, 2012

cK be by Calvin Klein

This is one of the most AMAZING fragrances we have available to us today. Its a real SHAME that it doesnt get the respect that it would if it were sold wihtin the Frederic Malle house of scents.

Few things I own bring back the memories, and evoke happiness the way this does. But aside from my own personal emotional attatchments the scent alone is masterful. I've smelled nothing like it after all these years it is still captivating.

A MUST OWN.

13 September, 2012

Molecule 03 by Escentric Molecules

This is the stand out all-star of the collection. Not as wearable as molecule 01 is on a daily basis, but it has FAR more character. It's earthy and dirty and scratchy. LOVE THIS STUFF.
    A cosmic outer-space vetiver. ( I know it's a conflict of sorts to explain it as earth and also as outer-space like...but it is. I just call it as I smell it.)

11th September, 2012

Ferrari Essence Oud by Ferrari

Ferrari's Essence oud is not an oud that will not your socks off. Its nice, and soft. Even powdery. I do not get much of that real ethereal oud feeling that comes through in other oud offerings out there.

Personally I cannot see how the use of the name "oud" is allowed in the title. The oud is a not much more than a supporting character with a single line in the movie.

Definitely a try before you buy. If you are wanting a real-deal, harsh, down n' dirty Oud fragrance this isnt it. (are you surprised?) Apart from my criticism of the oud in the fragrance... the scent as a whole is pretty good.

And VERY long lasting.
    Moderate projection

08 September, 2012

Il Tuo Tulipano by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Creamy floral softness. Very close to the skin, but also very long lasting. This is a real treat for both men and women. I am a guy and it's one of my most favorite floral scents. It smells alot WHOLE LOT like a scent called "460 park" which can be purchased online at a tenth of the cost.
    Very pretty bottle, very pretty scent.

8/10 stars

Mat; Very Male by Masakï Matsushïma

For anise and licorice fans this is the pure straight forward answer to what you crave. Nothing else...just tons of black gooey sticky licorice.
    I LOVE IT

Kenzoair by Kenzo

BOTH THUMBS UP.... WAY UP!!!
    How many ways can I say that I love this fragrance!? It's my all-time favorite. The anise, black licorice, the way it smells cold like steel. NOBODY, anywhere has done licorice this well.
    However, with that said, it's not perfect. It sits too close to the skin. In a perfect world this would have the projection of Joop!
    It doesnt last too long either. So I sought out Kenzo Air Intense. But I find K-A-I to be virtually identical. (Except that K-A-I has a bluish tint to the juice and the original is clear.)
    If you like "Cold" scents, Anise/Licorice, or unique scents...try this one. It's been discontinued, but still can be found if you keep your eyes peeled all the time.

9/10 stars
    Still my favorite scent!

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

SO AMAZING! As a guy, I love this scent. I wear it often! I find it to be very unisex! There is a note in this perfume that is SO DRY. It's like a dry ginger ale. I've never smelled anything like this anywhere.
    It is like a sexy sports car that can go from zero to 100 in 5 seconds, but instead of hitting 100mph, it disappears into thin air around 75mph and all you have left is the vaporous dusty smell of whats left behind. I am not saying it disappears, it is a very strong, and very long lasting scent, it just ramps up so fast and than turns into this dry, vaporous, dusty paper hologram of the beginning.
    Nothing like original Shalimar...
    ...this is PURE MAGIC.

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There is much more going on here than rose - I get baby powder, and white floral mostly. To me, it smells like dryer sheets. More of a feminine scent. No citrus here at all. No spice. Just sweet, iris, rose powder.

Individuel by Mont Blanc

The rumors are true, it does smell like joop! The famos joop, in the clear bottle with the pink juice. Although this has a little less "scream" in it's voice. It is also far less cloying. I see some similarities with Creed Santal, but this lasts longer and is less expensive! OF the three, this gets my vote.

Agar Musk by Ramon Monegal

A lot like Encre noire but more sweet powder in the dry down. This scent is special and long lasting too.
    If you don't like sycamore or Encre noire than stay away, but, if you do like them - this takes it to another level!

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

I wear this DAILY. Stays for ages on fabric! If you want to sample this, be sure to get more than just a 1-2ml vial. You need a good 4ml or more in a spray atomizer to really get a good feel for this treasure. D that and you will fall in love!