Reviews by Madamemagenta

Havana by Aramis

What Castro would smell like if he were a drug lord. Macho, complex, tropical, rich. Very masculine, and very strong; the paradox is the summer notes with a winter potent strength. Please use sparingly.
16th September, 2008

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Top note smells exactly like black walnut cookies my father would share with us. Cools down to a well behaved but conventional amber warmth. The good news: seems to last longer than other scents on the Hermessence line. The bad news: seems too juvenile and laboratory concocted for the price tag.

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Lovely. casual, in a sophisticated kind of way, like an Armani suit model at the beach with his shoes off. I feel like I'm having tea and pastries in a lush but simple herb garden. smells fine on me, but I need to find a manly chest to put this on:)
As with the other Hermessence fragrances, awful pricey for something that doesn't last very long...

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

Suspiciously like high end YSL Baby Doll to me. Very old school thinking to consider rose unisex, and kudos to the metrosexual who wears it, But my frugal side says a fragrance with this price tag should last longer.

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Pepper!
And if you like pepper, no doubt you will a conspicuous, but not overpowering, peppery goodness. Give it a few minutes, and the complexity comes out; the most in the Hermessence line. It lasts, that is, if you can detect those last accords, like the last few dying embers in a bonfire that no longer give sufficient light or heat. I heavily question the value here.

Jil (original) by Jil Sander

I admit I bought this one for the (parfum) bottle, which is odd because I don't care for most Jil Sander packaging.
Angel set the pace for this one, but it's much more subtle. Pleasent green accords mellow it into something you can wear in a crouded elevator without offence. Lasts almost as long as Angel, too.

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis supposedly wore this; perfect match. Rose and geranium make it a little soapy to start, but the fruits help out. Soon it melts into a classy white flower with rich herbs and resins to round it into a warm, sophisticated floral-oriental. Not to modern, not to old school. Good lasting properties. Nice to wear with a cocktail dress.

Top note: galbanum, geranium, peach, plum, rose
Heart note: carnation, heliotrope, jasmine, myrrh, rose, tarragon, tuberose, violet, ylang-ylang
dry down: ambergris, moss, musk, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

What is this? Is it chypre? Is it fruity? Is it floral?
I like it when fragrances use unconventional harmonies, but this schizophrenic fragrance leaves me feeling bewildered. Feels very synthetic, very contrived. You may enjoy this if you like tuberose sans the sweet.

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

Tea, and sweet citrus, and dried fruits, and...
Hey! Where did it go?

Blush by Marc Jacobs

First: don't go near Marc Jacobs fragrances if you don't like white flowers.
The jasmine assault is harnessed by a lovely citrus/ powdery woods leash. Reminds me of the jasmine tea in chinese takeout shops. This is great when used in subtle amounts for intimate moments.

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Manly, in a man's man kind of way. I like to think this is what Robert Redford and Tom Selek wear. Exelent longevity if worn with after shave balm. Best in cool weather, I find the animalic notes overpowering in the heat.

Fleurs de Chocolat Mikado by Fresh

When I grab something in a hurry my impulse is Mikado. The truth is I love it. Chocolate dressed in Mme. Gres. The leafy herbs suck all the sweet out of notes that might otherwise be juvenile. Audrey Hepburn's chocolate.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Juicy Fruit Gum. Is this how a man should smell? Not a bad odor, mind you, and best worn in warm weather, just not masculine.

Madness by Chopard

Bad behavior on the top note; intense for something that behaves much better after a few moments. Fruity and playful with warm woods to keep it down to earth. Like Baby Spice (the Spice Girl) with black leather stilettos.

Kudos for the packaging for the parfum. A red Rubik's Cube encased in a series of metal plates all held together with a red plug. Cool.

Eden by Cacharel

Tread lightly... this is an unusual one.
This is about as rich as herbal perfumes get, and you're either gonna love it or hate it. Patchouli fruit compote. Lasts and lasts.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

I love the packaging...and that's it. I want to like a fragrance that has sage in it, but this is so forced, so pushy. Fragrance equivalent to taking a razor to your speakers and cranking the volume. Reminds me of 7" hairsprayed bangs and Swatch watches en masse. This is not a part of the eighties I want to remember.
28th August, 2008

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I want to hate this stuff on principle...but I can't quite do it. Cotton candy in a hot pink bottle screams pre-puberty. Seems to last longer than some other "kiddie" scents. Awful pricey for something I would be embarrased to wear If I was just old enough to hold a job.

Casma (new) by Caswell-Massey

Starts with a powdery, Christmas cookie assortment odor. Pleasant, nice quality, but doesn't hold my attention like it should.

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

Spicey for its time. If you like traditional E.d.C, this will be intense. A little raw, but overall good manly scent. Prance around in a little history:)

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

If you look up "Eau de Cologne" in the dictionary, it will refer you to this stuff. This is what cologne smells like, behaves like. Napoleon went through gallons of this stuff each month, which should tell you something about how long it lasts. A little bracing on contact, but good for stress.

Hungary Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

Based on a 1370 scent that was a gift to Queen Elizabeth of Hungary, and the first named scent with alcohol. Suspiciously like a Ricola cough drop, but in a good way. I hope they bring it back.

360 Degrees for Women by Perry Ellis

Overdose of white flowers. Tin-like, metallic and chemical sensation that can be felt on the roof of one's mouth. Headache in a bottle.

Stephanotis by Floris

Floral and soapy. I feel like I washed up in grandmother's bathroom (she was a classy lady). Think of it less as perfume and more of it as history in a bottle.

Theorema by Fendi

Pow!! Candied oranges! Give it a few seconds...ahh. Warm, sweet ambery goodness to back it up. almost smells like a little raspberry dark chocolate in there, too. I wear it on cool summer nights. Not casual.

Quand Vient La Pluie by Guerlain

I think of early spring flowers mixed with exotic tubers and rhizomes. Something in the middle reminds me of a sasparilla mojito. Effervescent, and worth hunting down. Superb:)

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

Violets are easy to screw up, and this one teeters on the border. Very rich violets. I enjoy it on occasion, but definately sample before purchasing.

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

Fresh tilled soil after the rain. Suprising how nice it smells on the skin:) Not a lot of staying power...

Baby Doll / Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

My dirty secret. I ride a Harley and play roller derby, but grapefruit and rose makes for nice daywear. Age 12 meets age 30 in a curious, yet effective twist.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Layers upon layers of roses. If you like rose, this is a must.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Mmmmm...chocolate.
WARNING: This stuff is VERY potent. Use sparingly! Long lasting, and has no flowers (if you have allergies), this is great for winter parties.