Reviews by Madamemagenta

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Did someone bring candied fruit to mass? Like Mata Hari in a modern club, modern fruity funk in a traditional resinous base. Sounds potentially disasterous, yet pulled off so well! Lasts and lasts, too!

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

Gardenia, dried and thrown atop pot-pourri. Does to the nose what nails on a chalkboard does to the ears.
Much better if small amounts of lotion are applied alone.

Rush by Gucci

Unconventional. I think of a warm, dry night in a gardenia grove on a fuchsia polarfleece blanket, sipping melomel. You won't smell like anyone else. Wear it to the club; please don't wear it to the office!

Hypnotic Poison Eau de Toilette by Christian Dior

Smells like almond cookies dusted with sugar on some; smells like Play-Dough on others. Love the rubbery bottle.

Nuit de Noël by Caron

INTENSE. Very potent, very retro. Rich and mossy, nice structure, but I'm pressed to find an appropriate setting to wear it...

Narcisse Noir by Caron

Dear Caron,
What did you do to My perfume? I used to find myself in an incense infused temple in springtime, and now I find some gas station attempt at a memory.
what the heck?

Gold Woman by Amouage

Feels like Chanel does Ancient. Aldehydes on top of rich, complex florals and resins. Classic, will probably not appease a contemporary nose. I save this for very special events.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Smells as though one went rolling in an herb garden, complete with mulch, mushroom compost and manure. I'm afraid my brother ruined it for me as he would put so much on it would permiate the whole house. The good news: it lasts, and you can get a better deal by getting it in BIG bottles.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

I would be suprised if you would offend any one while wearing it. Once belived to help cure a cold, it does wonders for a stress headache due to its bergamot content. I keep mine in my medicine chest.

Oxygène by Lanvin

A late comer in the ozone movement, no doubt it suffered financially because of it. Like most ozonic scents, it has few fixatives, so if you want it to last, make sure you layer. Very, very wet.

Attrape Coeur / Guet-Apens / Royal Extract by Guerlain

They don't make stuff like this anymore. Creamy Mitsouko? More like sexy Mitsouko! Seems like a classic pre gas-chromatography had some contemporary warm goo droped into it. Definately worth cracking open that collector bottle!