Reviews by Possum-Pie

Chance Eau Vive by Chanel

Thumbs up b/c it doesn't smell bad, but this is uninspired and for a house like Chanel, it feels like they are just catering to the younger fragrance wearer who wants to smell safe. There is nothing here to set it apart from other generic fresh scents
13th October, 2017

Chance Eau Tendre by Chanel

Smells fruity/fresh, but uninspired. I catch whiffs of Mademoiselle in and around the fruit. Nice but not special.
13th October, 2017

Silver Musk by Nasomatto

Barely a thumbs up. Soapy citrus musk opening with a strange warm sweet gourmand undertone. I think that I don't like it because cookies and soap don't mix.

Cedre Atlas by Atelier Cologne

To be fair, I almost never like fruity fragrances. Having said that, the Cedar is nice, but the fruit overpowers. It smells like something from Bath and Body Works...shower gel, shampoo, room spray. Not unique enough for thumbs up.

Green by Byredo

I think the perfumer shouldn't have called it "Green" it is a better descriptor if it had been named "Clean". It is a scent that one could associate with a variety of clean products including shampoo, soap, laundry detergent. The violet adds a clean green scent, the musk is of the nuclear "white" variety that is responsible for the clean scent. I think many of the neutral/bad reviews are because this may remind people more of the shower than of a perfume. It is nice smelling, but a bar of green soap will give the same effect.

Chêne by Serge Lutens

At first sniff, without much concentration, this smells like cedar chips. Fairly generic. But sniffing harder and letting it mature, it is more complex than that. Pepper, spices, I like one reviewer's description of an Autumn night. Sitting at home in early October with the windows open, letting in the cool brisk air, I smell the comparison.

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

VERY strange fragrance from a company known for strange fragrances. Opens with a sharp citrus and green iris/bergamot. Some spices join in just a quarter-note off key, like the old man in church singing a half second behind everyone else off key. It's not quite horrible, and I bump it up from a thumbs down to a neutral b/c of its strange originality.

Aoud Shiny by Montale

Aoud shiny is an accord more than it is a perfume. It is the sharp loud raw aoud accord that is in MOST Montale fragrances. No rose, no fruit, no dirt, it is almost alone the aoud accord. Nice smell...mixed in with other things.

Viking by Creed

Creed Viking opens with a sharp citrus, pepper, metallic, and cinnamon/clove note combination. This settles down fairly quickly into a spicy green wood fragrance. There is a wood quality, from Norlimbinol. Longevity of Viking is incredible for a Creed, 24 hours due to the use of norlimbinol. Trouble is with projection and sillage. Whether from nasal fatigue, or from the perfume's composition, after 1/2 hour the fragrance can't be casually whiffed without lifting your collar and purposely sniffing. There is no accidentally catching a whiff of yourself through the day. Viking is still there, but sits close to the body and those whiffs are not present after an hour. 6 hours into wearing it, I could still smell it if I sniffed my shirt, but not in the air. I had that trouble with Creed Himalaya, and I found that doubling the amount I applied worked to increase sillage. I used 6 spritzes instead of my usual 3. Trouble is you blow through a bottle twice as fast and for $500 that is a MAJOR problem. Overall this is a winner. The scent is novel and pleasant. I have a REAL problem with Creed's prices though. It is NOT worth retail, but I'd buy it if I got it for $120/50ml.
19th September, 2017

Spice and Wood by Creed

This Creed is about cedar. Sharp, spicy cedar and apple. The Iris gives it a waxy plastic scent. It isn't a homerun like Aventus, GIT, or Royal Oud, but it is wearable. Trouble is Creed charges as much for this good frag as it does for its Great frags. Not worth the price

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

A nice fruity floral. Banana and pear blend with light floral notes to make a clean fresh summer fragrance. Can be worn anywhere and anytime.

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

This is an INCREDIBLE vintage fragrance! WHY did they discontinue this? Strong aldehyde, Iris, ylang ylang, and geranium combine to make this as sharp as a needle. Dry-down calms to a more spicy oriental with traces of the aldehyde still present. Well made!

Salome by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

I love animalics and so wanted to love this one. It is incredible, except like ruining a great gourmet meal by accidentally dumping too much salt in, the cumin is WAY too much. I like skanky frags, but cumin is a dangerous note. Amouage Fate Man uses just enough to be interesting, but this has so much that it smells like armpit sweat. Someone who eats tons of curry and cumin forgets their deodorant. The cumin settles down after 5 min. and it gets better, but Wow! The first blast is sweaty!

UPDATE: After 1/2 hr, this settles into a very wearable animalic and the cumin has faded.

Calèche Eau de Toilette by Hermès

An incredibly sharp aldehyde. This smells great and I can tell it is vintage, from the 60s. There is a floral note of ylang ylang, jasmine, and iris. It's mostly an aldehyde, but the floral is a nice balance.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

This is about vanilla, civet, and bergamot. In the style of Shalimar, only lighter, less strong, and more subtle. I smell mostly the vanilla but it isn't gourmand.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

This is an odd fragrance. I rarely give feminine frags negative or neutrals. Most are safe. This is a chemical smell. The iris and orris combine with the violet to cancel out most of the floral smell, and cause it to be chemical. Looking at the original date, I bet it smelled much differently when it wasn't altered by government control.

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

A very unique fragrance. Dragon...Oriental and green. The Vetiver and the Iris make this green, the amaretto and benzoin make it spicy. This is semi-formal, well balanced, and unique. A tiny bit sweet, but not gourmand. Great fragrance!

Cuir by Lancôme

Most leather fragrances are more masculine. This one is a feminine leather. Not much leather, but more of a supporting note. It is mostly Ylang Ylang and saffron. An elegant fragrance with hints of vintage women's frags before they turned into generic sweet/florals.

Costume National Homme by Costume National

This is an incredible fragrance. Notes include cinnamon, clove, and honey, but to me they combine to smell like spicy coconut. It has great sillage and projection. This is gourmand. Spices used are sweet and this may be a better winter/cool weather fragrance.

Seyrig by Bruno Fazzolari

An edgy aldehyde, with a very very sharp citrus note. Not like bergamot, but like an unripe grapefruit rind. Sharp and piercing. There is a note of waxy iris, and oris root, but nothing that makes it stand out. More of a feminine than a unisex.

Sissi by Marc de la Morandiere

A spicy oriental with floral notes. This fragrance seeks to balance light white florals with dark spicy notes and does so quite well. Jasmine and Lily of the Valley blend with Iris, Maragold, and ylang ylang to balance the light and the dark. I think of yin and yang when I smell this fragrance.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

One whiff and you know it's Guerlain. Similar to it's brothers and sisters of the same company. It is soapy oriental, a tiny bit floral, ambery and formal smelling. Trouble is it's projection/longevity. Not that great. I must try it again in a larger dose to attempt some sillage.

Chant D'Arômes by Guerlain

This has been called a hard fragrance to describe. Indeed I applied it and is smelled like beauty soap. I loved the scent, but couldn't describe it more than soap. I applied some more, and there is a floral and white musk that causes the soapiness. The only problem I have with it is it's longevity. Non-existant on my skin. Perhaps if I sprayed it on thickly, but it disappears within minutes. A shame b/c it does smell lovely.

Rochas Femme (original) by Rochas

How to describe Femme? It is "fashionably skanky" The civet and cumin give an unwashed body smell as a foundation. Someone else mentioned "Tang drink mix powder" and it's true! There is a powdery/dusky artificial orange Tang smell. I usually despise anything 'peach' but it is subtle and unobtrusive. There is a floral jasmine note that balances the body odor fragrance. It is fashionable, formal, and daring.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

A sweet floral fragrance, this is mostly gardinia and peony mixed with the sweetness of cardamom and vanilla. Peach blossoms and orange blossoms have very subtle odor in nature, and I'm not sure I smell them in this perfume. I smell a trace of fake artificial peach fragrance which smells absolutely foul, but thankfully not enough to ruin this fragrance.

Chance Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Opens with a chemical smell that thankfully goes away in 1 or 2 minutes. Then, although not listed, is a melon note mixed with the earthy smell of patchouli. Perhaps this is the vetiver. Jasmine floral is there as well, although if I had to describe the fragrance, I'd call it green. Nice if you like earthy patchouli, which I do.

Fusion Sacrée Elle by Majda Bekkali

The note pyramid reads like a grocery list. Coffee, currents, rhubarb, figs, vanilla, and cloves. With a list like this, it's strange that it doesn't come across as gourmand. A sweet spice fragrance that could be worn my a man or woman.

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

Galbanum and Iris. Sandalwood rounds out the fragrance. Seems formal, evening wear type. Nice fragrance.

Karagoz by Nishane

This is an extreme citrus. I don't get pineapple, but I smell neroli and amber. Not my style, but it is well made. There is a green dry-down but I don't smell any oud. Sharp citrus and vetiver.

Terre de Sarment by Frapin

Opens with a citrus and pumpkin pie spice combination that is pleasant. There is a sharp note mixed in that I can't tell if I like or not. I can't find the culprit in the note pyramid. After 15 min. I still can smell the sharp note. It apparently wasn't the grapefruit. Don't like that note.