Reviews by Possum-Pie

Acqua di Parma Colonia Club by Acqua di Parma

While this is almost boring, using the same tired recipe of other department store fragrances, it has a bit of a twist with the mint. It rises ever so slightly above the hundreds of other boring generic green/clean fragrances to make me at least give it a thumbs up.

Citrus Man by Dame Perfumery

Strange mixture of fresh grapefruit, and something that smells like chemicals in the background. Soapy musk hints, Not even close to the quality of say Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet.

Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Not bad, a generic green fragrance that smells like many other department store fragrances. Same recipe: Top- a citrus, Middle- greenery, Base- Sandalwood/moss/patchouli.

Collection Notes de Fond : Patchouli-Oud by Affinessence

This is a classic Patchouli fragrance. The earthy, dirty patchouli shines through. Oud's dirtiness is fighting for attention also, along with the Labdanum and vetiver. There is a bit too much "fighting" for attention, A few more wears before I decide if I can wear it or not. I'll say that I've never smelled such a strong natural smelling patchouli before combined with oud.

Kedu by Memo

Very crisp clean green fragrance. This opens with Grapefruit, and some light floral. White musk which smells of soap, and moss which smells like oakmoss. This is a light green spring/summer fragrance.

Ecstasy by Tiziana Terenzi

Sharp spicy top notes that include frankincense which isn't listed anywhere. There is sharp pine and green notes that smell a bit citrus-y. There is a haunting memory of "Aspen" by Coty here as well. Don't know if I'd wear it, but it is a creative fragrance.

XIX March by Tiziana Terenzi

A well made fragrance, but not for me. There is much greenery in this bottle. Grass, weeds, vetiver, with a bit of sharpness at top...perhaps from the orange and mint combination.

Luna by Al Kimiya

Fruit salad in a leather glove. There is a dissonance here that is very off-putting. To be fair, I almost never like fruit-themed fragrances, and combine fruit with leather and spice, not a recipe for success. There is a plastic smell that I guess is from the combination of Iris and current.

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Anything but exceptional. Generic green citrus, fading into oakmoss. Like thousands of other nameless fragrances out there that never stood out.

Onsen by MiN New York

Upon first spritz, this overwhelmed me with what smelled like Key lime. Citrus, pine, green vetiver, soap are the first impressions. It is wearable, even somewhat likable but as other have said, smells like a department store fragrance. I know others don't take price into consideration, but I do. To pay $240 for a fragrance, it better stand out in the crowd, and this just does not.

Uomo by Salvatore Ferragamo

A gourmand lover's dream. This opens with sugar, vanilla, maple syrup, a bit of cooking spices...Cinnamon? Reminds me of some of the Bond no 9 Sickly sweet gourmands. New Haarlem maybe? Anyway, if you get it ONLY wear it in cold weather, and not somewhere where it will mingle with food odors.

Roberto Cavalli Uomo by Roberto Cavalli

Generic smelling without distinguishing features. I smell spicy green, oakmoss smell with little distinguishing top notes. Wearable but forgettable.

Nightingale by Zoologist Perfumes

A complex blend of fruit and floral, this is a feminine fragrance from start to finish. Plum, rose, violet, saffron and lemon blast out from the first spray. I agree with the marketing description, reminds me of a Japanese garden. I could never pull this off, too feminine but it is quality and I've been impressed with this house.

Macaque by Zoologist Perfumes

Overall, a creative fragrance. The "Green" notes dominate: Galbanum, Ylang Ylang, moss and a suspicious sounding item they call "White oud". Never heard of it myself, I think it is a marketing ploy, but it isn't oud that I smell. Almost a 'barbershop fragrance', it is complex, just not my style.

Visa by Robert Piguet

A well-done women's fragrance, but since I don't like peach, I can't say that I like it. It opens with a mixture of fruit, pears, peaches, plums. Well balanced with woody tones, and something chypre-like subtly in the background.

Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Not impressed at all, I used to have a cheap rose candle that somehow got stuffed in a closed for 10 years. Upon re-finding it, it smelled like this. Mostly wax, hint of rose. I LOVE benzoin and was excited to see that this had benzoin in it, but alas, I don't smell it, maybe a hint of warm medicinal but it's fleeting. Not noxious, probably should have given it a neutral, but its $215 price tag kicked it down to a negative.

The Silk Series : Vanilla Silk by Gallagher Fragrances

This is a unique take on a very sweet vanilla. There is something woody in the background...Norlimbinol in a TINY quantity? Not sure but there is a frankincense vibe also that helps cut some of the gooey sweet vanilla. Thumbs up for originality, only wearable in cool weather due to the thick vanilla sugar.

Password by House of Matriarch

In a word...nasty. Too much competing for attention. There is a woody undertone that fights with the florals. The greens try to make an appearance and succeed in making it a floral chypre that is dissonant. Sorry, no redeeming qualities here.

Midnight by House of Matriarch

Chypre and floral mixture. Reminds me exactly of those very cheap incense sticks you can get at the mall that are 1000 for $1. There is a nice Jasmine and Tuberose hiding in the background, but they can't get past the waxy cheap incense. NOT unisex, very floral feminine.

Musc Bleu by Il Profumo

This is understated, light, airy, and almost non-existant. It smells good, when I can smell it. I applied it 3 times to the same spot on my arm before I could smell white musk and soap. I bit like a VERY watered down Creed Himalaya, and that is fairly light to begin with. I enjoy the smell and may dump the whole sample vial on me out of desperation to get a better impression. After 3 minutes, I get a bit of floral that is nice. I would call this a spring/summer fragrance.

Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

Very subtle fragrance. Understated in a word. Warm sweet, not really honey, more like a bag of pipe tobacco sweet. Not a summer fragrance, ok for winter. Limited sillage/projection, reminds me of a Penhaligons, or a VERY watered down Montale Red Aoud.

Aoud Legend by Montale

This is a strong spicy Aoud, that hints of Aoud Cuir d'Arabie. Leather and spice, with a bit of woody Chypre. The amber gives a sharpness, and the rose is VERY subtle, less rosy than Black Aoud. This is a winner that is full-bottle worthy.

Aoud Lemon Mint by Mancera

A great summer fragrance. Fresh lemon and mint mix in a crisp cool blend. The Aoud is of what I call the "Bandaid" variety, the kind that smells like bandages. It blends well to give a slight inkiness.

Sand Aoud by Mancera

Generic is the only word I can think of. I don't get much Aoud, what I smell is of the "Bandaid" variety, a bit medicinal. the Patchouli is hiding someplace. Smells a bit like medicinal lotion for dry skin. Not a favorite.

Fate Man by Amouage

I'm hesitant to give Fate a neutral...I like it after the armpit/cumin scent is gone. It is horrible to my nose for the first dry-down phase. I was going to scrub it-and this would be the first Amouage I would have washed off- but I'm glad that I didn't when the cumin was gone, it was wonderful spicy and pine. I love cumin in chili but NOT on my skin. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but if I did own this, I would only wear it when I had an hour before I had to go out so the cumin would disappear. Then it would be fine.
27th March, 2017

Faquat Lil Rijal by Rasasi

I must have gotten a bad sample. Based on the hundreds of over-the-top glowing reviews on that "other fragrance forum" I thought I'd love this. I love aoud, skanky, royal, middle eastern frags. It was a disappointment. Powerful? yes but there was a combination of notes that put me off. What a disappointment.

Sliver Aoud by Montale

Despite some people insisting there is no SILVER Aoud, there is and I own it. SILVER Aoud apparently from all I can determine is SLIVER Aoud in a different bottle. Very green fragrance, this is all about the florals. Lilly of the Valley and Geranium are dominant, and I compare it to Penhaligon’s women’s fragrances Bluebell and Violetta. It is fairly linear, staying green and floral. I can’t wear this one- it’s just too feminine for me.

Aoud Meloki by Montale

Meloki is a gourmand pure and simple. A bit of Cinnamon, vanilla, it smells similar to Red Aoud,but more subtle. Caramel and cedar, Amber and sandalwood, vanilla, white musk and oud. It is very nice smelling, reminds me a little of Bond no 9 New Haarlem with its syrup and cinnamon. A bit like 24 Gold by Scentstory. This is a cold weather fragrance.

Mr. Aoud by Montale

I own Creed Royal Oud in a 15 ml atomizer mainly b/c while I love it, the cost is high. When I smelled Mr. Aoud, It was SO close to Royal Oud that I bought a full bottle for less than the 15ml bottle of Creed. The longevity is incredible, 24 hours. 1/4 point off for stupid name though!
02nd March, 2017

Majestic Gold by Afnan

This review is for MAJESTIC BLACK...no Basenotes listing for Black available. This is a very decent knock-off of Thierry Mugler Pure Havane. Semi-gourmand sweet tobacco and cherry fragrance.
18th November, 2016