Reviews by Possum-Pie

Fate Man by Amouage

I'm hesitant to give Fate a neutral...I like it after the armpit/cumin scent is gone. It is horrible to my nose for the first dry-down phase. I was going to scrub it-and this would be the first Amouage I would have washed off- but I'm glad that I didn't when the cumin was gone, it was wonderful spicy and pine. I love cumin in chili but NOT on my skin. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but if I did own this, I would only wear it when I had an hour before I had to go out so the cumin would disappear. Then it would be fine.
27th March, 2017

Faquat Lil Rijal by Rasasi

I must have gotten a bad sample. Based on the hundreds of over-the-top glowing reviews on that "other fragrance forum" I thought I'd love this. I love aoud, skanky, royal, middle eastern frags. It was a disappointment. Powerful? yes but there was a combination of notes that put me off. What a disappointment.

Sliver Aoud by Montale

Despite some people insisting there is no SILVER Aoud, there is and I own it. SILVER Aoud apparently from all I can determine is SLIVER Aoud in a different bottle. Very green fragrance, this is all about the florals. Lilly of the Valley and Geranium are dominant, and I compare it to Penhaligon’s women’s fragrances Bluebell and Violetta. It is fairly linear, staying green and floral. I can’t wear this one- it’s just too feminine for me.

Aoud Meloki by Montale

Meloki is a gourmand pure and simple. A bit of Cinnamon, vanilla, it smells similar to Red Aoud,but more subtle. Caramel and cedar, Amber and sandalwood, vanilla, white musk and oud. It is very nice smelling, reminds me a little of Bond no 9 New Haarlem with its syrup and cinnamon. A bit like 24 Gold by Scentstory. This is a cold weather fragrance.

Mr. Aoud by Montale

I own Creed Royal Oud in a 15 ml atomizer mainly b/c while I love it, the cost is high. When I smelled Mr. Aoud, It was SO close to Royal Oud that I bought a full bottle for less than the 15ml bottle of Creed. The longevity is incredible, 24 hours. 1/4 point off for stupid name though!
02nd March, 2017

Majestic Gold by Afnan

This review is for MAJESTIC BLACK...no Basenotes listing for Black available. This is a very decent knock-off of Thierry Mugler Pure Havane. Semi-gourmand sweet tobacco and cherry fragrance.
18th November, 2016

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

Definitely similar to Silver Mountain Water...Which is why I can't stand it. A bar of soap and some vinegar That is exactly the same smell in Silver Mountain Water. Sort of a Creed Himalaya mixed with apple cider vinegar.
18th November, 2016

Queens by Bond No. 9

Bn9 New York Amber smells great, but Queens' combination of berries and amber doesn't work. I don't know what the obsession with Bn9 has with berries, but they usually clash with an otherwise nice fragrance. Definately feminine. Berries, amber, lipstick-wax. Bn9 has more fragrances that I've had to scrub off than any other company.

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

Nasty plastic, oil, and cheap shampoo. Horrible

Madison Square Park by Bond No. 9

Not for me. Peach, and watermelon. It's not listed, but I smell a watery, melon note, maybe muskmelon, or watermelon. Boring and linear. Stretching it maybe unisex, but there are floral notes here that make it more feminine.

Live Colorfully by Kate Spade

A unique floral, the coconut and vanilla are the stars. This isn't gourmand- the floral is still the star.
06th November, 2016

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Really nice "pink" floral. Peonies, lilies. I don't get much rose even though it's listed. This is a spring/summer woman's fragrance.
06th November, 2016

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

Maragold is unique. Green, strong floral. I'd have guessed it was an 80s fragrance, it's that style. Nice.
05th November, 2016

Sexy Amber by Michael Kors

Amber with a bit too much aldehyde for my liking.
05th November, 2016

White by Kenneth Cole

This is a white floral. There is amber so the vanilla peeks through giving it a warmth. I can't distinguish any particular white flower, but definitely a feeling of clean white perhaps jasmine. Orange has a part in this also.
30th October, 2016

Joy by Jean Patou

Thumbs up b/c it is a classic. It is a powdery aldehyde. I'm not sure that it stands out in the field, I do get a bit of civet but not enough to be obnoxious. Strong flowers over an aldehyde base. Formal smelling.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

An excellent change from the uptight aldehydes. If Shalimar is a black evening dress, Charlie is jeans and a flower Tshirt. This is unique and stands out in a field of very similar others of the time.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Galbanum Aldehyde. Very sharp, very Aldehydic. I don't smell anything unique with this, it smells like many other aldehydic fragrances of the 40s-80s

Fidji by Guy Laroche

This is a classic aldehyde fragrance. reminds me of Shalimar a bit. Kind of an "old lady" smell, but definite quality.

Chloé (original) by Chloé

This is a great feminine amber. It is about tuberose, but in the end, it smells like a floral-amber. Warm and a tiny bit sweet.

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

This is an exquisite clean, simple amber. Very linear, projection is only fair, as is Sillage. Longevity is good. It reminds me of a less sharp Bn9 N.Y. Amber. I really like this frag. but my reviews include price worthiness. At $400-$500 I DON'T see it worth that much.
Dropped my review to 3 stars...Longevity is horrible. On par with a Penhaligon's 3hr max. Projection failed after 15 min, was still a skin frag, but after 2 hrs all but gone.
04th October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)

Chypre de Coty by Coty

This is a classic Chypre. The review is for the 1980 reformulation. It is a classic Barbershop fragrance. Not my style, but lovely in it's composition.
12th September, 2016

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

This is an incredible white floral clean smelling fragrance. IT smells like soap, soap from the 1950s. It has enough floral in it to make it feminine. A classic.
12th September, 2016

Jicky by Guerlain

Reviewing Jicky is like reviewing a Model T. Ford. Compared to today, Jicky and the Model T seem quaint and out-dated. BUT Jicky was the first fragrance ever manufactured with a theme that included artificial odors that don't occur in nature. Jicky was from another age, and is classic. Having said that, It isn't something that I want to wear. The Jasmine, patchouli, tonka, and civit combine to form an amberein accord, barber shop fragrance.
11th September, 2016

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

This is an incredible female fragrance. It wouldn't have worked with Bergamot as a top note, but the Neroli works perfectly. The soft floral heard notes don't get too powdery. I am beginning to realize that I LOVE "carnation" accord in a women's perfume.
10th September, 2016 (last edited: 12th September, 2016)

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

The orange blossom, white florals, and creamy sandalwood work together to make a light, almost honeysuckle accord. This is a beautiful fragrance.
10th September, 2016

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Opens with Orange Dreamcicle orange and vanilla. Dry-down to an amber with vanilla prominent, and Jasmine and Magnolia. Well done and definitely a feminine frag. Sits very close to the skin after an hour. Only fair projection. This improves with each sniffing. I'm giving it to my wife, she really likes it.
25th August, 2016 (last edited: 26th August, 2016)

Derby by Guerlain

While this isn't my style, I can smell the quality. Spicy Chypre with lots of oakmoss, this is a barbershop fragrance. I can imagine Getty, Rockafeller, or Morgan wearing this back in the roaring 20's.
25th August, 2016

Amber Aoud by Roja Dove

This is one of the best quality Rose/Aoud combinations that I have ever smelled. It opens with a warm Ambergris and rose, sweetened by the amber and the fig. The Aoud is warm also. This isn't a sterile cold Rose/oud, It is sweet, bright, and warm.
08th August, 2016

L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

This is certainly a gourmand. It opens with strong vanilla/tonka and almonds. There is a crayon-amber note strong on application also. There are some spices, hiding in the background poking their heads out occasionally. It is fairly linear and probably not a hot/humid summer fragrance.
Opens with lilies and the ocean. algae helps with the oceanic theme. I wish I knew the aroma chemicals that Guerlain and Bond use to make this, and Fire Island smell exactly like Coppertone sun-tan lotion. It's a scent that has been around for years and brings great memories of the past, wear it on your night-out to the seafood restaurant on your beach vacation.
03rd August, 2016 (last edited: 09th September, 2016)