Reviews by Possum-Pie

Majestic Gold by Afnan

This review is for MAJESTIC BLACK...no Basenotes listing for Black available. This is a very decent knock-off of Thierry Mugler Pure Havane. Semi-gourmand sweet tobacco and cherry fragrance.
18th November, 2016

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

Definitely similar to Silver Mountain Water...Which is why I can't stand it. A bar of soap and some vinegar That is exactly the same smell in Silver Mountain Water. Sort of a Creed Himalaya mixed with apple cider vinegar.
18th November, 2016

Queens by Bond No. 9

Bn9 New York Amber smells great, but Queens' combination of berries and amber doesn't work. I don't know what the obsession with Bn9 has with berries, but they usually clash with an otherwise nice fragrance. Definately feminine. Berries, amber, lipstick-wax. Bn9 has more fragrances that I've had to scrub off than any other company.

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

Nasty plastic, oil, and cheap shampoo. Horrible

Madison Square Park by Bond No. 9

Not for me. Peach, and watermelon. It's not listed, but I smell a watery, melon note, maybe muskmelon, or watermelon. Boring and linear. Stretching it maybe unisex, but there are floral notes here that make it more feminine.

Live Colorfully by Kate Spade

A unique floral, the coconut and vanilla are the stars. This isn't gourmand- the floral is still the star.
06th November, 2016

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Really nice "pink" floral. Peonies, lilies. I don't get much rose even though it's listed. This is a spring/summer woman's fragrance.
06th November, 2016

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

Maragold is unique. Green, strong floral. I'd have guessed it was an 80s fragrance, it's that style. Nice.
05th November, 2016

Sexy Amber by Michael Kors

Amber with a bit too much aldehyde for my liking.
05th November, 2016

White by Kenneth Cole

This is a white floral. There is amber so the vanilla peeks through giving it a warmth. I can't distinguish any particular white flower, but definitely a feeling of clean white perhaps jasmine. Orange has a part in this also.
30th October, 2016

Joy by Jean Patou

Thumbs up b/c it is a classic. It is a powdery aldehyde. I'm not sure that it stands out in the field, I do get a bit of civet but not enough to be obnoxious. Strong flowers over an aldehyde base. Formal smelling.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

An excellent change from the uptight aldehydes. If Shalimar is a black evening dress, Charlie is jeans and a flower Tshirt. This is unique and stands out in a field of very similar others of the time.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Galbanum Aldehyde. Very sharp, very Aldehydic. I don't smell anything unique with this, it smells like many other aldehydic fragrances of the 40s-80s

Fidji by Guy Laroche

This is a classic aldehyde fragrance. reminds me of Shalimar a bit. Kind of an "old lady" smell, but definite quality.

Chloé (original) by Chloé

This is a great feminine amber. It is about tuberose, but in the end, it smells like a floral-amber. Warm and a tiny bit sweet.

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

This is an exquisite clean, simple amber. Very linear, projection is only fair, as is Sillage. Longevity is good. It reminds me of a less sharp Bn9 N.Y. Amber. I really like this frag. but my reviews include price worthiness. At $400-$500 I DON'T see it worth that much.
Dropped my review to 3 stars...Longevity is horrible. On par with a Penhaligon's 3hr max. Projection failed after 15 min, was still a skin frag, but after 2 hrs all but gone.
04th October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)

Chypre de Coty by Coty

This is a classic Chypre. The review is for the 1980 reformulation. It is a classic Barbershop fragrance. Not my style, but lovely in it's composition.
12th September, 2016

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

This is an incredible white floral clean smelling fragrance. IT smells like soap, soap from the 1950s. It has enough floral in it to make it feminine. A classic.
12th September, 2016

Jicky by Guerlain

Reviewing Jicky is like reviewing a Model T. Ford. Compared to today, Jicky and the Model T seem quaint and out-dated. BUT Jicky was the first fragrance ever manufactured with a theme that included artificial odors that don't occur in nature. Jicky was from another age, and is classic. Having said that, It isn't something that I want to wear. The Jasmine, patchouli, tonka, and civit combine to form an amberein accord, barber shop fragrance.
11th September, 2016

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

This is an incredible female fragrance. It wouldn't have worked with Bergamot as a top note, but the Neroli works perfectly. The soft floral heard notes don't get too powdery. I am beginning to realize that I LOVE "carnation" accord in a women's perfume.
10th September, 2016 (last edited: 12th September, 2016)

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

The orange blossom, white florals, and creamy sandalwood work together to make a light, almost honeysuckle accord. This is a beautiful fragrance.
10th September, 2016

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Opens with Orange Dreamcicle orange and vanilla. Dry-down to an amber with vanilla prominent, and Jasmine and Magnolia. Well done and definitely a feminine frag. Sits very close to the skin after an hour. Only fair projection. This improves with each sniffing. I'm giving it to my wife, she really likes it.
25th August, 2016 (last edited: 26th August, 2016)

Derby by Guerlain

While this isn't my style, I can smell the quality. Spicy Chypre with lots of oakmoss, this is a barbershop fragrance. I can imagine Getty, Rockafeller, or Morgan wearing this back in the roaring 20's.
25th August, 2016

Amber Aoud by Roja Dove

This is one of the best quality Rose/Aoud combinations that I have ever smelled. It opens with a warm Ambergris and rose, sweetened by the amber and the fig. The Aoud is warm also. This isn't a sterile cold Rose/oud, It is sweet, bright, and warm.
08th August, 2016

L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

This is certainly a gourmand. It opens with strong vanilla/tonka and almonds. There is a crayon-amber note strong on application also. There are some spices, hiding in the background poking their heads out occasionally. It is fairly linear and probably not a hot/humid summer fragrance.
Opens with lilies and the ocean. algae helps with the oceanic theme. I wish I knew the aroma chemicals that Guerlain and Bond use to make this, and Fire Island smell exactly like Coppertone sun-tan lotion. It's a scent that has been around for years and brings great memories of the past, wear it on your night-out to the seafood restaurant on your beach vacation.
03rd August, 2016 (last edited: 09th September, 2016)

The Scent Of Peace For Him by Bond No. 9

This is a good Bn9. NOT great, but good. It opens with Pineapple and a citrus combo that smells like powdered orange drink mix. There is a dry quality a desert dry wind orange note. The dry-down is musky, and the nasty orange drink note is muted. There is enough juniper berries to make people think you've had a couple of gin-and-tonics...
03rd August, 2016

Shelter Island by Bond No. 9

A strong projecting feminine fragrance, smells of the ocean, of flowers, and Coppertone suntan lotion. Opens with lilies and the ocean. algae helps with the oceanic theme. I wish I knew the aroma chemicals Bond uses to make this, and Fire Island smell exactly like Coppertone. It's a scent that has been around for years and brings great memories of the past, wear it on your night-out to the seafood restaurant on your beach vacation. Not sure a man could wear this convincingly, the floral is awfully loud.
03rd August, 2016

Leather Blend by Davidoff

This is a warm, sweet, almost gourmand fragrance that reminds me of a toned-down Montale Red Aoud. I get some notes that are NOT listed: Cinnamon and Vanilla. The leather is soft, well-worn, and not anamalic. I love this offering from Davidoff except for two problems. The longevity is only about 4 hrs for me and the Sillage/projection is horrible. I have to spray 6 spritzes for it to project.
22nd July, 2016 (last edited: 28th July, 2016)

Galloway by Parfums de Marly

This is not a great fragrance, but it is nice. Opens with a sharp pepper and "green" note. Orange blossom is there, but light, and the amber cuts some of the medicinal sharpness. Dry-down is strong black pepper.
22nd July, 2016

Aramis Bermuda Tonic by Aramis

A nasty aquatic, very pale, thin, and a ton of watermelon. I am one of those rare people who doesn't like watermelon. This is mixed with an aquatic tone found in bathroom air fresheners called some adjective + wind/beach/breeze/waves.
13th July, 2016