Reviews by Izzie

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

For the love of all that is holy PLEASE STOP WEARING THIS!

When this first hit the shelves I thought it was fine. Candy-sweet bubblegum, cinnamon, woods. Pleasant.

But now I swear I can't be in a public space without smelling this EVERYWHERE. Not a light, pleasant whiff either, it completely takes over the room and makes me nauseous.

It has become Axe 2.0 in my region, it's what every high school boy sprays on too much of. Even if that weren't the case, this fragrance is too strong and cloying.

If you don't want to come off as a completely unoriginal, inconsiderate loudmouth then please - PLEASE - look elsewhere.
10th September, 2015

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This smells like straight-up floral soap. It's dry and sharp and a little hairspray-like, reminds me a bit of Anais Anais, albeit a cheaper, simpler rendition.

It's clean, and one of the better cheapie celebrity fragrances I've tried. Doesn't smell like it's targeted to teens, could work for any age.

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This smells like a tropical scented fabric softener. Nothing more, nothing less. IMO a little too sweet to actually wear in the heat - gets cloying.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

This is lovely, a fresh floral scent that's still unique and not too sweet.

It would be perfect, if not for the odd ozonic note in the drydown that in combination with other everyday smells sometimes strikes me as a bit "fishy".

Armani Code Turquoise by Giorgio Armani

I adore this.

It's a simple fresh floral. A lot of orange blossom, with a bit of ginger bite and soft muskiness. There's something creamy in the base that keeps it from getting too flat and dull.

Very long lasting for a summer scent, and I see this working well for day and night thanks to that woodsy creamy base.
05th May, 2015

Suddenly Madame Glamour by Lidl

This honestly does smell like Coco Mademoiselle, and not many people will be able to tell the difference. It's perhaps not as deep or complex as CM, but I think I actually prefer the smell of this.

The bottle is pretty cheap, obviously, but if you're strapped for cash or just don't buy into the brand hysteria around Chanel, pick this over CM, for sure.
02nd May, 2015

Axe Black / Lynx Black by Axe / Lynx

As far as body sprays go - this is pretty nice. Reminds me somewhat of Paris Hilton for Men, it has a fruity/cucumber-y top note that's similar to the one in PH for Men. It's fresh, fruity, a little aquatic. It lacks that particular, unpleasant Axe-y note that some of the older Axe sprays have.
15th April, 2015

Axe Peace / Lynx Peace by Axe / Lynx

This is a cheap Fahrenheit knockoff. Not horrible, but nothing particularly interesting either. If you like Fahrenheit, or the idea of Fahrenheit, but find it either too strong or too expensive - this might be worth a try. Since it's so cheap it won't hurt.
15th April, 2015

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I realize this is a masculine release, and it's not a particularly feminine-smelling fragrance. On most people, that is. I've smelled this on men and found it perfectly pleasant, citrusy and fresh and clean. Good. I'd recommend it to any man looking for a fresh all-round fragrance that's not going to offend anyone.
But on my skin, this somehow turns into a pretty white musk/citrus floral. On me, it smells very feminine. And very good, so I like it. So, I'd also recommend it to any woman looking for a good fresh scent that doesn't smell like a fruit salad, if this does on your skin what it does on mine.
10th July, 2014 (last edited: 09th July, 2014)

Coco by Chanel

This is absolutely beautiful. Albeit not for the faint of heart, wearing this around sensitive noses will bring out a myriad of complaints about allergies and headaches.

The EdP version is the only one I've worn and the inital blast is a bit much. Sharp and downright unpleasant, even. But give it an hour on the skin and it blossoms into the most beautiful, spicy, radiating scent.

In my everyday life, Coco is a bit much, and a little too attention-grabbing (not many 20-somethings will wear this one after all...), I've taken to wearing a little bit of the lotion, which is very true to the fragrance and actually projects like your average EdT even when you only use a little.

Highly recommended! I could see this working on a daring man too, actually. It's not girly, even if it's feminine in nature, and it's just beautiful all around.
08th April, 2014

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Like Platinum Egoiste if you spilled it in a curry

When I first discovered this fragrance, I liked it. It smelled pleasant and masculine and a little unusual compared to most men's fragrances today.

However, once my nose picked up on the overwhelming smell of CURRY that exists in this fragrance, it became absolutely disgusting to my nose.

Go with Platinum Egoiste instead, they are very similar, only Platinum Egoiste doesn't smell like someone's home while they're cooking.

16th August, 2013

Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch

Complete waste of money

This smells like a glorified bodyspray. You might as well save your cash and buy some Axe. Extremely irritating to smell after a while, it's far too strong. If anyone in close vicinity has oversprayed (basically anything more than one spray from a distance is overspraying with this), you can practically taste it in the air it's so strong.

The same type of girls who like this? Will like Axe. So, do yourself a favor and either buy a can of Axe for next to nothing, or look around for a better scent.
12th August, 2013 (last edited: 22nd May, 2014)

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

An interesting take on the typical fresh fragrance

This one has all the components and the same "feel" as the generic fresh green fragrances that flood the market, BUT manages to pull off the concept in a much more interesting way than most.

It smells to my nose as a lighter, sweeter, fresher Fahrenheit. The opening is spectacular, great violet leaf. Very pleasant, an unusual take on a common concept.

12th August, 2013

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Versatile, classy and unusual.

Starts off out-of-the-shower fresh without being aquatic. Slightly metallic florals in the top notes, later dries down to a still fresh but slightly nutty smell. I don't know which notes produce that result, but it's pleasing and easy to like.

Would work well as a signature scent as it is suitable for most occasions, both casual and formal - you could wear it to the office, on a date, in the summer or winter.
If you're a young professional, 25 and up, looking for a versatile fragrance (maybe even just one bottle to use all the time), this is a worthy contender. Some people call it common or generic, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

12th August, 2013

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This fragrance is pure genius, IF you use it right. If you stick your nose right in the sprayer and take a sniff - it will smell like a urinal. If you spray it on yourself 2+ times - it will smell like a urinal.

However, if you stick with one spray, and keep the bottle rather far from you when you spray it, this thing will work for you.

It has a personal, unwashed but not unclean kind of smell to it, and on some people, it blends perfectly with the skin and even though it is super strong and a powerhouse, doesn't come off as cologne so much as just the way someone might smell on their own. (Again, if applied very modestly)

I know people claim this is the epitome of masculinity, but I've worn this with success and compliments galore, so I think that's pretty much bogus. It is masculine, yes, but also sweet and actually kind of gentle and soft if you apply it right.

You do have to have some courage to be able to pull it off however, while not as offensive as some claim, it IS very different to the current popular fragrances. It's not sterile and clean clean clean, and that in and of itself might offend people.
20th March, 2013

J'Adore by Christian Dior

It's a pleasant fragrance, it really is, but there is nothing really interesting about it. It smells like shampoo, to me. And I like the way most shampoo smells, so I'm not saying it's off-putting, there's just nothing particularly unique about it.

It's one of those fragrances that I would have a hard time pointing out if I came across someone wearing it. I get as far as "that smells nice", but I can't pinpoint anything specific or particular about it that makes me go "oh, yeah, that's J'Adore"

That said, it is clean, inoffensive, easy to wear, feminine and "pretty". Probably great for women out there who aren't particularly interested in fragrances beyond wanting to smell good and inoffensive. But to someone who's smelled a lot of fragrances, this is dull, uninspired and common.
06th January, 2013

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

The one and only downside to this fragrance is its popularity.

To me, AdG doesn't really smell aquatic. When I think aquatic I think Bvlgari Aqva or Versace Eau Fraiche. AdG reminds me more of a fresh salty seaside breeze than anything.

Many aquatics don't really blend well with the skin. AdG however, has this lovely slightly salty skin-like muskiness to it that makes it one of the more sensual and inviting aquatics I think I've ever smelled.

Most people are going to like this fragrance, it's popular for a reason, you can't go wrong with it. For an aquatic/fresh fragrance, it has decent longevity and projection.

If you don't care that when you walk down the street, 10 other guys will be wearing the same fragrance as you, then AdG is a safe bet.
10th December, 2012

Skin by Clean

A pretty clean, straight-forward skin scent. The white musk is to me the most prominent note. Skin is an appropriate name, as something about the scent makes it very human and natural smelling. It's inoffensive, easy-to-wear, nothing extremely original but that's sort of CLEAN's thing anyway. Simple and good.
21st August, 2012

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

This is, to me, the ultimate clubbing fragrance.

It's clean yet dark and sultry. Sexy but playful. It's berries with the depth of amber and patchouli. A little incense-y but in a light, clean way.

It reminds me of a night out. You've gotten all pretty, you're sitting in a bar with some fruity girl-drink or another, about to hit the dance floor, on top of the world and loving it.

It's not very versatile though, I wouldn't wear this as an everyday frag. It just puts you in a party mood.

It does what it's supposed to very well, works perfect as a night-out scent for a young woman. It's fairly strong so don't overdo it.
19th August, 2012

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

It's a great scent, but too popular and too STRONG. It's terribly cloying when oversprayed, and due to its popularity you smell it everywhere.

If you do use it, go SUPER LIGHT on sprays. Seriously, more than 3 should be a deadly sin. Preferably less.

It's very unique though, and like I said it IS a good scent. The raspberry not is very cool and different.
22nd July, 2012

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This is beautiful. I get the lipstick/makeup note, but it's not a negative to me. It just adds to the complexity of the scent.

To me, this smells like... the perfect date at a fancy restaurant. It's a romantic, comforting, classy scent. Not something I would recommend for daily wear, it's too special for it.

There's something about it that reminds me of a smooth whiskey.

Absolutely gorgeous scent, a unisex as far as I'm concerned but to the guys out there you shouldn't let that intimidate you. It's gorgeous on a man, and doesn't in any way make you smell "like a girl". Same goes for the ladies, it won't make you smell like a man. It's the kind of scent that will work with your personality and your style. It's a scent you wear, not one that "wears you".
17th July, 2012

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

My opinion on this frag has made a complete 180. The first week or so I had it I thought it was appalling. The slightly smoky tea and pepper was just awful to me.

BUT, surprisingly, this has become one of my favorite comfort scents. It's light, very unique, and the tea note is actually quite superb.

I reach for it on days I don't want to feel too obvious. It's subtle and fresh and doesn't project all that much.

It gets a thumbs up from me these days!

I'm a tad hesitant to wear it since I had such an averse reaction in the beginning myself, but it seems most people are a fan.
16th July, 2012 (last edited: 10th September, 2012)

Poison by Christian Dior

Sultry, mysterious, seductive, gothic - FANTASTIC.

While not my type of scent, Poison is perfect at what it does. It's dark and powerful, lasts forever on my skin and projects like a beast.

While dark, it's still very feminine. The name Poison describes it perfectly, and the bottle design is also absolutely spot on.

It's unique and not for everyone, but on those who can pull it off it's irresistible.
10th July, 2012