Reviews by antiqueRose

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I love this, its like dark blue velvet in a bottle, so the bottle is the right colour for the juice. To me iit is pure class, almost inestimable...vanilla, tonka and jasmine. Startling, unusual, gothic

23rd November, 2012

Ricci Ricci Dancing Ribbon by Nina Ricci

very sweet, feminine,with a touch of patchouli. Reminds me of Rochas Tocade, and a little of Juicy Couture. It is fun, flirty, gentle..

24th October, 2012

Alien by Thierry Mugler

I keep trying to leave reviews of this but no luck. Anyway, first of all the bottle is beautiful, despite the penguin comments, its like holding a precious jewel in your hand. Initial impact after a spray, is WOW beautiful jasmine and pure black pepper, to my nose. After awhile it is still strongly jasmine and the wood and amber, and later still even more beautiful jasmine and oudh. The fragrance is like a mysterious alchemy, like night and day combining and creating an alternative reality... It is an exquisite meeting of opposites, the sweetness contrasting with masculine black pepper, heady jasmine combined with grounding oudh wood. Don't stop making this, Mr Mugler, please, and don't change the formula!! Ever since I received this as a gift, I have worn no other scent (and I have a lot : ])

16th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd September, 2012)

Poison by Christian Dior

It opens sweet, intense, shining, cloying, boozy fruity floral. I don't find it overpowering, its strong yet strangely soft. I hate to use the description "powdery" but about 10 minutes after application {to wrists and partly on sleeve} an intense old fashioned talc powder, then a beautiful note. I don't know what it is - is it an angel singing? Gosh I love it its taking me on a journey - a tour of some sort a tour through the everglades in a canoe past eerie twisted trees draped spookily with spanish moss. The home of alligators, snakes. unseen things that slither and splash.. ok back to the perfume... I don't think "Poison" is really an apt name.. I think it maligns a beautiful masterpiece. Isn't it like calling the Mona Lisa 'Scarlet Woman' or 'aldulteress' or Whistlers Mother 'Old Axe-Murderer' or 'lunatic asylum inmate' Anyway it settles to an intense almost narcotic floral for awhile. Then theres a pinch of something cooly medicinal..now a good quality vanilla, woody, floral, sensual sweet tobacco, lily balsamic, old paperbacks. I've turned the light out now to try to go to sleep, and now I suddenly realize why so many reviewers have said "not for the faint-hearted". Maybe I should have conducted this little test at the beginning of the day instead of the end. Poison, suddenly [because of it's name} seems suggestive of danger - will spiders visit me and crawl over me while I sleep? Silly me, just because its CALLED poison - yet, why did they name it that? What did they put in it? Don't be silly I tell myself. Go to sleep. Fast forward to next morning - I had trouble going to sleep and had to get up to get a drink of water to stop coughing, then was awoken a little later by my son thinking he heard someone breaking into my other sons car, so I went and looked out a window for a while watching for any possible intruders but there was no one but odd inexplicable sounds like water splashing. On awaking next morning I sniff and its now a strong sweet heavy floral reminding me of night blooming jasmine which I love. Its been 8 hours since I put it on so this must be the dry-down, but it also changes to more of a mellow woody vanilla floral after even more time. So, to me its beautiful and intense and I really do love it. I will have to try a more recent bottle as this one I tested I would say is one from the late 1980's, probably. Its a non-spray EDT in a oval bottle and you can see the juice is wine coloured through the purple bottle. I earlier declared I don't find it overpowering but I think I'll apply it in the morning, rather last thing at night so the word "poison" doesn't conjure up all sorts of gremlins!

22nd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 07th December, 2012)

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

to me, this smells exactly like a fresh rose bloom . Say, a pink, apricot or yellow rose. Lovely.

16th August, 2012

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

imo, under-rated. Strong, feminine, fresh, floral, green, citrusy, sillage, powerful, longevity- not in how many hours does it last, but how many days? I love it! Good for very busy, active women.

15th August, 2012

Imari Seduction by Avon

I love this delicious, inexpensive, sexy scent. Its floral, plummy, powdery, musky , smoky and vanillic.

12th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 17th August, 2012)

Vintage Muse by Kate Moss

starts with a lovely strange haunting floral which is fleeting to be replaced by screechy notes. Disturbing but strangely likeable at the same time. It IS vintage, it makes me imagine a scene where you are having rhubarb pie with lashings of cream with your dear old grandmother in her fusty old house, with the smell of furniture polish eminating from antique furniture and the smell of linens and mothballs in a big old chest right next to your dining table!

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Does any one else find that this fragrance doesn,t hang together? My first impression is the distinct scent of a christmas tree in ones living room, then it changes to something else altogether! But I like it. Pleasant dry down.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

A very classy, polished feminine floral. For when you want to impress

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

There is a beautiful strong scented plant in my garden that I think is a type of honeysuckle, but smells a little like daphne, and it reminds me of covet. Covet dares to be different

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

new bottle=reformulation. Now not as complex and I believe it is missing some notes like rose for example. It is now more linear, doesn.t develop or go through stages. It is somehow more refined. It still retains the essence and essential character of the original. I would guess that many who couldn't wear the original could wear the latest version.

Amarige by Givenchy

my current favourite. a solid wall of intoxicating flowers, soft, sharp, fresh, sweet,everything you could wish for packed into a nuclear flower explosion. Actually, I find it almost addictive... it reminds me of a big bunch of fresh jonquils. Love it.